Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Lads, that van Perise rumour was in the Sun. Tabloid bullsh1t tbh.

These are the guys who said United were getting Torres for £40million. I'd say by their logic RvP is probably worth £32* then.

*No no, I left the million out for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Galvasean wrote: »
    These are the guys who said United were getting Torres for £40million. I'd say by their logic RvP is probably worth £32* then.

*No no, I left the million out for a reason.

so ur saying Torres is 1.25million times better than RVP :mad:

*dont check the sums i know math :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Has anyone watched Vermaelan play or we just hoping he's good?

I watched Ajax villa in the UEFA Cup last year and can;t remember him

Frisbee wrote: »

That was Aston Villa - he never played for them :D.

Seriously though yeah its a good question because in all fairness the dutch league isnt exactly a good barometer but as the saying goes ''In Arsene we Trust''

That was Aston Villa - he never played for them :D.

Seriously though yeah its a good question because in all fairness the dutch league isnt exactly a good barometer but as the saying goes ''In Arsene we Trust''

Sorry that was meant to be Ajax / Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yes :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Mr Alan wrote: »
    yes :cool:
    Ya might wanna take them shades off because I don't think you are looking at the matches right.

Should've went to specsavers tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sorry that was meant to be Ajax / Villa.

Ajax / Villa does not divide :P

jasonorr wrote: »
    Ajax / Villa does not divide :P

slide1.jpg

U bweakin ma bwalls hans bwix!!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Walcott dropped for the u21's against Spain tonight:(

Gibbs starts.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not me. Although I do know he scored a header at Villa Park. Reports on whether he's good enough vary pretty widely, but I do trust Arsene's judgement on these matters. Most things I've read about him indicate that at least he is the right type of defender - an aggressive, tight man marker, an organiser who really attacks the ball in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Seen him a few times for Ajax, stood out but mainly because he's the most evil looking player ever.

Am I the only person who sees that sickly/evil/serial killer/bond villian thing he's got going on.

Never really noticed him boss a game but he's so young though - I saw him when Arsenal played Ajax. He would have been about 21 so not really a bad sign if he didn't stand out against the Arsenal attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

itsjaybud wrote: »

Gibbs starts.

who cares?

I think a lot of Walcott's bad form lately comes from the pressure of the international set-up and the associated red top garbage that comes with it. For a player his age he seems fairly intelligent, but at the same time i think this makes him a lot more vulnerable to criticism. I wish he'd do a Stephen Ireland and just develop in peace.

Standards of defences in the Dutch league are shocking, I can't stress this enough. However, unlike the English press, the Dutch seem a bit more conservative about who they give praise, and tend to be on the money a bit more. So I'm confident he'll be decent, though I wouldn't expect him to figure much next season.
    Gunners star Emanuel Eboue is set to reject a transfer to Italy and fight for his place. (Daily Mirror)

made me lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Andip wrote: »
    Vermaelen deal seems to be on for tomorrow - reported that he's at the Emirates for a medical
    It seems a bit odd that all the speculation seems to be coming from the Vermaelen side, have the club (or Wenger) made any comment on this yet?

Rarely do if there's something to it.

*dont check the sums i know math :D

Nah i'm just saying the Sun like to throw out random player names, team names and transfer figures and call it 'gossip'.

Gibbs starts.

Great to hear. Its not fair having Walcott playing for the full international team AND the under 21s. He'll be destroyed by the new season if they keep that up.
    Gibbs scored 2 on his under 21s debut. Might as well play him. He could actually use the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Gunners star Emanuel Eboue is set to reject a transfer to Italy and fight for his place. (Daily Mirror).
    made me lol
    That's the bit that got me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    That's the bit that got me.

This Place ??
    Seats aren't that comfy !!

943387350_ff890de3e7.jpg?v=0

who's your man Marouane Chamakh? Times says we may be in for him, according to the player hisself...
    Fulham held talks with Bordeaux last night about signing Marouane Chamakh, but they face competition from Arsenal for the forward.

Roy Hodgson, the Fulham manager, wants to strengthen his squad because of the demands of the Europa League next season, but has a balancing act given the possibility that his team may be eliminated before the group stage.

Fulham failed to reach an agreement with Chamakh, who is on holiday in the United States and has said that he has been earmarked by Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, as a replacement for Emmanuel Adebayor.

The Morocco player has refused to extend his contract, which has one year left, and he claims to have a buyout clause of £7 million. He scored 13 league goals last season and has a reputation for his ability in the air.

Wenger likes Roque Santa Cruz, but will not pay an inflated price for the Blackburn Rovers forward because of interest from Manchester City, as well as Edin Dzeko, the Wolfsburg striker who has been linked with AC Milan.

Arsenal are close to completing their first summer transfer, with Thomas Vermaelen expected to arrive for a medical today after a fee of about £10 million was agreed with Ajax for the Belgium centre back. “I will be facing the best strikers in the world,” he said. “But this does not scare me.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

who cares?

I think a lot of Walcott's bad form lately comes from the pressure of the international set-up and the associated red top garbage that comes with it. For a player his age he seems fairly intelligent, but at the same time i think this makes him a lot more vulnerable to criticism. I wish he'd do a Stephen Ireland and just develop in peace.

Well to answer your question I definitely care and pretty sure alot more arsenal fans do aswell. Arsenals pre-season games will be getting under way in less than a month. Walcott after all is one of the main star players for the England u21 set up considering he plays for Arsenal and Englands international team! A confident Walcott returning to Arsenal is a good thing imo.

I just think that Walcotts development can grow alot faster once he is fully confident in himself and getting dropped from a team where it obvious that is he one of the most promising talents on the team is not good to see.

This effects Arsenal and something Wenger won't want to see.

Walcott is English and to think for even one second that he could develop in peace as you call it is ridicolous and next to impossible!;)

Walcott is English and to think for even one second that he could develop in peace as you call it is ridicolous and next to impossible!;)

lol, very true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

The Morocco player has refused to extend his contract, which has one year left, and he claims to have a buyout clause of £7 million. He scored 13 league goals last season and has a reputation for his ability in the air.
    Hmm, stroppy in contract negotiations, agitating for a move, 13 goals last season... doesn't sound like he'd be suitable to replace Adebayor to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Finally signs today, hope he turns out to be a great buy...one of a few hopefully!

gun__1245425430_vermaelen_thomas1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's the way it's supposed to be done. Get the player(s) in early so they can began working with their new team mates ASAP, not dragging on during negotations and possibly missing targets (which we are very good at doing). A great signing.

Welcome to Arsenal Thomas. Let's hope for a another shrewd signing by the boss.

I read that Vermaelen is 'looking forward to playing against the best strikers in the world'. Good attitude so far.
    Wonder what number he'll be...

• Advertisement

Good stuff hopefully this is a sign that we have moved on a bit from been this haggeling type club always trying to get a cheaper deal and that the purse strings are been loosened a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

heh, turns out hes six foot:p
    ULL NAME: Thomas Vermaelen

NATIONALITY: Belgian

BORN: 14th November 1985. Kapellen, Belgium.

HEIGHT / WEIGHT: 182cm (6ft) / 82kg (12st 13Ib)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

He Better Be Good For A Reported 11 Mil :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

He looks like Vidic...so that's a good sign. If he plays like him I can see us conceding at least 10 less goals next season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Who will he play with? Gallas or Toure??

• Advertisement

Imo None Of Them, I Don't Think He's Going To Be Good Enough As I Seen Ajax A Couple Of Times And He Didn't Stand Out Atal. But I'm Hoping He'll Prove Me Wrong :)

Imo None Of Them I Don't Think He's Going To Be Good Enough To Get Into The First 11 As I Seen Ajax A Couple Of Times And He Didn't Stand Out Atal. I'm Hoping He'll Prove Me Wrong Though.

jank wrote: »
    Who will he play with? Gallas or Toure??

I heard on Setanta Sports News that Touré is leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Galvasean wrote: »
    I heard on Setanta Sports News that Touré is leaving.
    City are offering £12m, according to the Times I think.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6539907.ece

Grand We Might Be Able To Turn That 12 Mil Into 15 - 18 Mil Since It's Going To Be A Man City Price :)

Redzer7 wrote: »
    He Better Be Good For A Reported 11 Mil :rolleyes:

Whats with the roll eyes?
    Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    City are offering £12m, according to the Times I think.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6539907.ece

Really hope that's not true

12 million is not good enough.

Jus Don't Think We Should Be Spending 11 Mil On An Unproven And Unheard Of Player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jus Don't Think We Should Be Spending 11 Mil On An Unproven And Unheard Of Player

Well any other method isnt exactly the arsenal way - the so called "proven signings" like Jeffers, Wiltord, Reyes, didnt exactly work out so well did they??

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Well any other method isnt exactly the arsenal way - the so called "proven signings" like Jeffers, Wiltord, Reyes, didnt exactly work out so well did they??
    Thats Exactly What I'm Sayin They Were Useless, The Only One That Was Worth It Is Wiltord For That League Winning Goal At Old Trafford :)

• Advertisement

Sometimes you have to take a punt on a player and hope it works out.
    I'm sure Wenger has had scouts watching him for a while now.
    Plus I'd rather we bring in a new player for big money than have the same defence be ravaged by injuries next season, especially with Kolo off to the AFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

How is he unheard of? He has CL and international experience so not really. As regards unproven, tell me a proven centre half that is available. Vidic was "unheard of and unproven" and look the defender he is.
    I could be wrong, he could be sh!t. I still think he's far too light to be an imposing centre half. However, I hope the fact that he was Ajax captain helps in organising our shambolic defence.

A Proven Defender We Could Of Got Is Either Curtis Davis Or Hangeland They Wouldn't Have Been Much Of A Gamble Because They Already Showed That They Can Be Solid Against Premier Divison Sides, The Dutch League Is Totally Diferent To The Epl And I Jus Hope He Can Keep Up. Can't Wait To See Him In Action :).. Anyone Heard Stuart Pearces Comments Of Fabrice Muamba? Wish We Had Kept Hold Of Him Really Improvin As A Holding Midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I doubt MON would let go of Davies since his squad is fairly wafer-thin. Hangeland would have cost at least 15million with no CL experience.

EDIT: Please stop typing every word with a capital first letter :)

A Proven Defender We Could Of Got Is Either Curtis Davis Or Hangeland

Lol, Davies is nothing better than we already have. He needs someone beside him to tell him what to do, just look what happened to Villa's defence when Laursen was injured.

Gangsta wrote: »
    I doubt MON would let go of Davies since his squad is fairly wafer-thin. Hangeland would have cost at least 15million with no CL experience.

Lol Sorry I'm On Me Phone And It Puts Every Starting Word With A Capital Letter Lol I'll Ring My Service Provider Right Away ;)

Sometimes you have to take a punt on a player and hope it works out.

quite true. Some post grads in bristol or bath or someplace did a statistical survey, and found through external variables such as lifestyle, family, relationships etc. only 1 in 3 transfers work out on average.

he's typing everything in caps and boards is automatically lowercasing it with that odd format.

Lol, Davies is nothing better than we already have. He needs someone beside him to tell him what to do, just look what happened to Villa's defence when Laursen was injured.
    Well To Me Davies Would Only Be Backup And Thats The Same With Vermalean, Now Which Would You Rather As Backup, A Centre Half With A Lot Of Experience In The Premier League Or A Centre Half With No Experience? Jeez I Sound Like I Hate The Guy, I Really Hope He Does Well It's Jus That I Can't See Him Keeping The Likes Of Drogba At Bay Especially With His Height.

Vidic was "unheard of and unproven" and look the defender he is.
    I could be wrong, he could be sh!t. I still think he's far too light to be an imposing centre half.
    Too light? He's 13 stone!
    Well To Me Davies Would Only Be Backup And Thats The Same With Vermalean, Now Which Would You Rather As Backup, A Centre Half With A Lot Of Experience In The Premier League Or A Centre Half With No Experience? Jeez I Sound Like I Hate The Guy, I Really Hope He Does Well It's Jus That I Can't See Him Keeping The Likes Of Drogba At Bay Especially With His Height.
    There's a football world outside the PL you know...

• Advertisement

I'd rather Vermaelen than Davies, and I have only seen him play twice.
    Davies isn't a great defender by any stretch of the imagination.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement