Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

There's a football world outside the PL you know...
    Oh Sorry I Didn't Know That

:rolleyes: And Who Said Anything About The Football World Outside The Premier League? We Were Comparing Davies And Vermalean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's a bit unfair to call Vermaelen unheard of and/or unproven. International footballer, Champions League experience and two Dutch (FA) Cups under his belt. Did I hear someone say he captained Ajax too? If so he sounds fairly experienced for a 23 year old.
    Granted I havent seen much of him playing, but his fact file reads quite well. Here's hoping he can form the backbone of our defence for the best part of the next decade.

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's a bit unfair to call Vermaelen unheard of and/or unproven. International footballer, Champions League experience and two Dutch (FA) Cups under his belt. Did I hear someone say he captained Ajax too? If so he sounds fairly experienced for a 23 year old.
    Granted I havent seen much of him playing, but his fact file reads quite well. Here's hoping he can form the backbone of our defence for the best part of the next decade.
    I Meant That He Is Unproven In The Epl And That He Is Unheard Of Because If Someone Said To Me Did Yeh See Yer Man Thomas Vermelean Play Last Night? Before He Was Linked To Arsenal I Wouldn't Have A Clue Who He Played For, What Club He Was At, What Nationality He Was Etc. I Seen Him A Couple Of Times Last Season And He Didn't Stand Out As A Star Defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Very recent interview. Hope he becomes an Arsenal legend.

Anyways Onto Another Topic :) Anyone Going To Any Matches This Season?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

im not trying to stir it but considering the guys age and that he atleast was an Arsenal player i know nothing about this "wonder kid", maybe neither do you guys but I thought itd be worth asking what type of player he is supposed to be and is he actually that highly rated?
    BOY WONDER QUITS ARSENAL
    Samir Carruthers snubs Arsene Wenger to sign for Martin O'Neill
    20/06/2009

ARSENE WENGER - snubbed
    SAMIR CARRUTHERS, highly-rated skipper of Arsenal Under-16s, has stunned the Gunners by walking out to join Aston Villa.

Carruthers, a 15-year-old London schoolboy tipped for a big future, was offered a two-year scholarship by boss Arsene Wenger but he turned it down to sign for Martin O'Neill.

League One Brentford have plunged Dagenham into crisis by swooping for Danny Foster, Ben Strevens and Sam Saunders.They were out of contract, so hard-up Daggers will not cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'm expecting this Vermaelan guy to be pretty good, although admittedly I've never seen him play. Wenger has a great transfer record, and he's not going to risk £10m on a player who doesn't possess quality.

I think also that foreign defenders often have an easier time settling into the EPL than forward players who might find it too physical. The last few unheard of defenders to come in from top teams have all been successes - Vidic, Skrtel, Agger. These were all under 10m buys. Really can't see Wenger spending that much money on a dud.

It may not be the most exciting of signings, but neither was Vidic/Agger/Skrtel. And they've all turned out to be very important ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Which Would You Rather As Backup, A Centre Half With A Lot Of Experience In The Premier League Or A Centre Half With No Experience?
    I'd rather whoever's the best centre-half. And as long as the scouting's been done properly and he settles okay, I'd guess that it's Vermaelen.

You keep talking about "proven" - Curtis Davies has played in the Premier League, but he's not "proven". Unless you mean "proven to be mediocre". And remember, he cost about £9m when Villa signed him from West Brom.

On a related note, if we're going to lose Kolo, we better get a big feckin' chunk of money for him - swapping Toure for Vermaelen + £1m wouldn't really be my perfect summer, although I'm hoping we've signed the type of centre-half we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If Kolo is going to go me may as well jump on the bandwagon and double the price any other team would pay for him if City are interestred.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

im not trying to stir it but considering the guys age and that he atleast was an Arsenal player i know nothing about this "wonder kid", maybe neither do you guys but I thought itd be worth asking what type of player he is supposed to be and is he actually that highly rated?
    From what I've read he's not unlike his French namesake, a creative attacking midfielder type. There are quite a few interesting youth midfielders at Arsenal and he'd be counted as one, but I guess he felt he'd have better chances of breaking through elsewhere. I thought Fulham had snapped him up, but I guess Villa nipped in ahead of them.

• Advertisement

According to SkySports.com we are linked with Felipe Velo. (16.38)

Anybody think this can become a reality? Be a qualiity signing.

http://www.skysports.com/football/transfer_clockwatch/0,23710,14896,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Thats Exactly What I'm Sayin They Were Useless, The Only One That Was Worth It Is Wiltord For That League Winning Goal At Old Trafford :)
    No - its actually the exact opposite of what you were saying :p. You were complaining about wenger spending £11million on an unproven player - the so called "good" buys of "proven" players are the ones ive wriiten in my earlier posts. Wenger's best signings, be they for peanuts like Anelka, or several million like Henry, are the lesser known players.

Vermaelen may be unproven in the PL but he's captain of a major European club in the CL at 23, so he cant be that bad!

DenMan wrote: »
    According to SkySports.com we are linked with Felipe Velo. (16.38)

Anybody think this can become a reality? Be a qualiity signing.

http://www.skysports.com/football/transfer_clockwatch/0,23710,14896,00.html
    Seen Him Play For Brazil Against Usa Scored A Header :) Very Strong Be A Quality Signing. Hopefully Arsene Gets The Cheque Book Out Because I Don't Think He'll Be Allowed Leave For At Least 15 Mil.

Ive never seen him play but I have heard he's a good prospect. Although 'wonderkid' might be stretching it. You'd never know though.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    If Kolo is going to go me may as well jump on the bandwagon and double the price any other team would pay for him if City are interestred.

Agreed. Im tired of seeing our players being valued at less than players of similar quality at other clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Wouldn't want to lose Toure but would agree that if he is going to go then his price tag should be doubled. I would like to keep Him and Gallas though and have a bit of dept in the defence for once with Varmalen there although I don't see us keping both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

sure some of you read this through Arseblog or elsewhere but:
    Instead of spending his holiday on the beach, Arsenal’s Abou Diaby is working on his fitness with famous French personal trainer Renaud Longuevre.

The Gunners midfielder has opted against resting this summer, as he wants to gain muscle power and reach the next level, Longuevre has revealed.

As a consequence, the France international, who has been widely compared to Patrick Vieira, will practice with the track and field trainer for four weeks.

“When I feel that a sportsman is ready to give it all in order to reach a stage, it suits me,” Longuevre told Les Dessous du Sport.

“He is motivated and wants to reach the next stage on the physical level.”

He added: “The English league is very demanding; as a consequence his objective is to improve physically in order to be stronger and more resistant.

“He wants to be stronger in challenges. That is why he needs more muscle power.”

Interesting. He seems at least to recognise he's not been up to it and is on a fine line. that's good. And Stephen Ireland did something similar last summer, and look at the season he had. I'd like to see him turn into that player that he promised when he arrived, can't really see it happening though. But can't fault him for trying.

So thats Rosicky and Diaby not taking their holidays in order to work on their fitness. Great to see that sort of commitment.

And Stephen Ireland did something similar last summer, and look at the season he had.

Ireland is doing that again this year.
    He's training with a UFC trainer for 5 weeks over the summer

So thats Rosicky and Diaby not taking their holidays in order to work on their fitness. Great to see that sort of commitment.
    Absolutely - as long as it's managed correctly (which I'm sure it will be). On the other hand, I wish Cesc was getting a full summer of rest - he looked knackered last season after the Euros, like Henry did a few seasons ago after the World Cup.
    Frisbee wrote:
    He's training with a UFC trainer for 5 weeks over the summer
    At the risk of falling for some elaborate lie... seriously? Can't find anything on that...

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    At the risk of falling for some elaborate lie... seriously? Can't find anything on that...

it was in one of the rags, with quotes and pictures for once.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1194140/PICTURE-SPECIAL-Training-day--secret-Stephen-Irelands-success.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Are man city buying Barton back and Irelands taking no chances?

Are man city buying Barton back and Irelands taking no chances?

lol,

those UFC regimes are tough though, with a particular emphasis on core strength so i can see how it would have such an impact. the fittest people i know have all trained in MMA.

Yeah it was in the Guardian a while back aswell.
    It really is supposed to improve your fitness greatly

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Apparently Felipe Melo's agent was on Talksport earlier say that Arsenal and Fiorentina have been talking and that a deal could happen. Could be nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Wow, fair play to Stephen Ireland. He'd an amazing season. If only he'd play for us :( (Both Ireland and Arsenal :D)

Latest rag talk is that Wes Sneijder is torn between joining Arsenal or Tottenham in a £15million move.

Apparently Felipe Melo's agent was on Talksport earlier say that Arsenal and Fiorentina have been talking and that a deal could happen. Could be nice...
    He seems to have moved clubs a LOT - Santander is the only one of about 6 clubs where he's stayed more than one season, and that was only for 2. Anyone know if his attitude is dodgy or if he's just moving up the ladder quickly?
    Galvasean wrote:
    Latest rag talk is that Wes Sneijder is torn between joining Arsenal or Tottenham in a £15million move
    Be nice (he's a cracking little player) but I'd be surprised as someone else would probably have to leave for that to happen. Unless he's seen as insurance against another season of no Rosicky? Plus I'd say he wants regular first-team football in a World Cup year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Latest rag talk is that Wes Sneijder is torn between joining Arsenal or Tottenham in a £15million move.

I have seen himself and van der Vaart are to move to Munich as part of the Ribery deal.

wonder where these quotes came from...
    Arsene Wenger believes his new-look Arsenal side will be less predictable next season - and far more powerful.

The Gunners boss - who has just signed £11million defender Thomas Vermaelen - has revealed he will tie up the rest of his transfer business before pre-season training starts so all his squad are fit and ready for the new season.

Felipe Melo of Fiorentina and Udinese's Gokhan Inler are just two of the stars being lined up to add steel to the Emirates midfield while in attack Wenger has an embarrassment of riches.

The Frenchman says that the side that struggled to finish fourth last term will be far more difficult to figure out. And Wenger even hinted at a far more attacking role for speedy Theo Walcott, who stunned Spain last week in the European Under-21 Championship.

Wenger said: "Next season we will play the formation and system that most suits the players and the balance of the team.

"That means it's not rigid. It can evolve throughout the season, depending on circumstances and personnel.

"If you play with Theo Walcott for example, you are more tempted to go for three midfielders because Theo is more of a forward than a midfielder in a 4-4-2."

While Cesc Fabregas has been making overtures to Barcelona then denying them, Wenger remains confident he can keep hold of all the players he wants.

He added: "We lost Hleb and Flamini last summer and we have had to rebuild. But we have done that now and the future looks bright. We don't want to have to rebuild again so I want to keep all the players together for next season. I don't want to lose anyone.

"I want to add to the squad and I have identified one or two targets. But identifying players and buying them are two different things.

I'd like to see them play 4-3-3 more often. It definitely suits the current personnel better than 4-4-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

are arsenal taking part in the Amsterdam tournament ?

Headshot wrote: »
    are arsenal taking part in the Amsterdam tournament ?

nope. probably want to focus more attention on the Emirates cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

nope. probably want to focus more attention on the Emirates cup.

Anybody thinking of heading over? I might go to the Saturday game v Athletico, dont really fancy the prospect of dealing with Rangers fans on the Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

I've been every year since the move.
    This year though i neither feel the excitement to go nor do i desire to be in the same stadium as Rangers fans.......and i don't consider myself a republican.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I've been every year since the move.
    This year though i neither feel the excitement to go nor do i desire to be in the same stadium as Rangers fans.......and i don't consider myself a republican.:mad:

Me and some friends considered it too after last years event but then we heard that Rangers will be there so **** that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So is fab gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

So is fab gone?
    If you are talking about the article in the Sun then definitely not - there's not even an offer in for him. Talking about a lack of team spirit is worrying though.

So is fab gone?
    Well if he does go, it won't be because the Sun said he "blasted" Arsenal. As always, the quotes don't quite match the journalist's 'conclusions'.

Martin Samuel was writing about this the other day as well, mostly a devil's advocate piece exploring the possibility that Wenger wouldn't mind selling him, though he didn't really come to any conclusion on how it would be better for Arsenal (apart from financially, and the fact that that money could almost certainly give a few new players a la when Anelka went).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If, and that is a big if, he is to go to Madrid then make sure they pay big money for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So is fab gone?

No, now that Ronaldo's gone the English press can't find a good story so, it's just some more badly translated, out-of-context, two-day-old Spanish media quotes.

As an aside: Two thing I have learned during the beginning of this year's transfer bulls*it.

1: Never ever ever believe anything you read on football365. They basically take the most sensational story from the entire spectrum of the British media and stick it up as their leader. Essentially this makes them a 'best of the worst' as regards far-fetched rumours. So if the Sun, and only the Sun run a story about how Fergie is poised to get Torres and Gerard because someone that works there noticed that United need a striker and a goal scoring midfielder, then that's also football365's main story.

My favorite was the other day. Went something like ...

'Broke Liverpool will be forced to accept Chelsea 60 million Torres bid'

...followed about half an hour later by

'Not-so-broke Liverpool 19 million bid for side back they don't really need accepted'

2: Sky Sports News seem to be surprisingly on the ball (at least the TV channel anyway). They generally seem not to give too much credence to the fabrications of publiciations like the sun and the daily mail.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Me and some friends considered it too after last years event but then we heard that Rangers will be there so **** that.

Yeah same. I wouldn't like to be a Paddy Gooner walking around after Arsenal hammer the Gers.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    If, and that is a big if, he is to go to Madrid then make sure they pay big money for him.

While I'd hate to see him leave a bid of £50million+ would be too good to turn down.

In positive news, Vela scored for Mexico in their 4-0 friendly win over Venezuela. Hopefully this lad will get more 1st team football this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd be utterly shocked if Fabregas said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PHB wrote: »
    I'd be utterly shocked if Fabregas said that.

I'd be surprised too as he's come out countless times already and strongly denied quotes associated with him, but on the other hand I could understand him feeling that way as I'm sure a lot of fans have also been venting their frustration in similar fashion!

Wenger already said he would do his utmost to keep the team from last season and Fabregas would be the last one on the list IMO to leave, especially since he's a MC and we are lacking in that department.
    I have a feeling Fabregas want's to win something big with Arsenal before he moves on and if he can do it with the Captains armband on even better.
    That is one way of holding on to him, let's hope Wenger gives him the captaincy.
    Every year there is at least 4 or 5 rumours for our squad.
    Even RVP has been mentioned.:)
    Only player i don't mind losing is Adebayor, his heart is definately not in it, and his favoured position is OFFSIDE.

I have a feeling Fabregas want's to win something big with Arsenal before he moves on and if he can do it with the Captains armband on even better.
    That is one way of holding on to him, let's hope Wenger gives him the captaincy.

A bit behind the times, aren't you? Link.

jasonorr wrote: »
    A bit behind the times, aren't you? Link.

Well things may change, new DC and all that.

Well things may change, new DC and all that.

I doubt it, only way we get a new captain is when Fabregas leaves!

those quotes in the sun seem really out of character for Cesc, i find it really hard to believe they can in any way be attributed to him.

Quite right lenin.

Everybody is like sheep right now and follow what the media are spinning. Spain concede their first goals of the Confederations Cup and get eliminated from the competition. Spain are upset...so is Cesc.

Some interviewer probably asked him about a lack of desire last night...impotence in front of goal (with Villa and Torres) if you will and everybody jumps on. It's a long summer and we need to keep the stories going say the media. It really annoys me sometimes. Didn't the papers run a story only a month ago or so saying how much he loved the club and it's history and he wanted so much to be part of the 21st century Arsenal.

Captain Cesc....the (young) man to lead us into an exciting new season. I can't wait. :)

actually it's just a really sensational translation of "impotencia", see Arseblog for more, i think yer man is fluent in Spanish or something, he tends to be able to set the record straight anyway on these dodgy translations.

edit: and in other news today, it's being reported that Milan representatives have confirmed their interest in Adebayor, as it's looking increasingly unlikely they can get Dzeko. Take the money and run! After last summer's schenanigans i was one of the few who backed Ade, how wrong i was. The more and more i've defended him the season the more I can't wait to see the back of him at this stage.

edit edit: let's hope i'm not as wrong about Bendtner being able to step up to fill his boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement