Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I see Almunia was voted #3 as Arsenal.com's player of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just been linked with German defender, Serdar Tasci. He plays with Stuttgart and his highly sought after right now.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_5406409,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

another back??

plus benezema and melo and ribery.

great summer ;)

Well if Touré is leaving then another back would be needed.
    Hopefully Vermaelen is viewed as an addition rather than a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think most would say get rid of him ASAP.
    I think even the clubs interested in him last season have gone off him since beacuse of his wages antics.

You read me wrong. I ment 'don't need to replace' as in sell him but we're ok for forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

gosplan wrote: »
    You read me wrong. I ment 'don't need to replace' as in sell him but we're ok for forwards.

Jesus no if Adebayor goes that money will have to go towards another striker imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I still think Arsenal need 3-4 defensive minded players in their squad to compete.

I'm not sure selling Adebayor or Bendtner is a good idea, I seem to remember them being short on striking options last season.

Arsenal's biggest problem is lack of depth. They should be building on the squad they have, not trading players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

their biggest mistake was letting go of flamini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I haven't watched any of the Confederations Cup, and I know gosplan or someone was saying that he wasn't impressed by Melo either, but I wouldn't judge him on just that competition.

If we are in for him, and if we do sign him, I'm sure he'll have been watched over a couple of months... there's really not a lot of point judging him in a meaningless tournament at the end of a long season (where Fiorentina did very well but ultimately faded a bit). Poor bloke just wants a holiday, I'd say.

I like the way Melo is always looking to make a forward pass, not a sidewards pass like Denilson.

He also spreads the ball across the pitch much better than Denilson and is a danger from set pieces.

I think if he joins us, once he settles he would be a excellent player.

Here he is against Juventus
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBwrMCQU_-Q

itsjaybud wrote: »
    Jesus no if Adebayor goes that money will have to go towards another striker imo.

Disagree. We scored enough goals last year without a whole lot of help from Adebayor and while Arshavin was available for only a fraction of the games.

Pick any two from RVP, Bendtner, Arshavin, Eduardo, Vela and perhaps Walcott should Wenger wish to play him there. That's enough strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Agreed.
    If we hang on to "King Offside", where will Eduardo or Vela get to play???
    Eduardo is definately a much better TEAM PLAYER than Adebayor, and could probably score more on his best day.
    And Vela is just wasting away in our squad......what a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Disagree. We scored enough goals last year without a whole lot of help from Adebayor and while Arshavin was available for only a fraction of the games.

Pick any two from RVP, Bendtner, Arshavin, Eduardo, Vela and perhaps Walcott should Wenger wish to play him there. That's enough strikers.

I disagree, I think we would need a similar type player to replace Ade if he left, I'm not sure Bendtner is quite ready to be his replacement.
    Agreed.
    Eduardo is definately a much better TEAM PLAYER than Adebayor, and could probably score more on his best day.

I'll rely on Eduardo when he gets a full season under his belt. As for Vela, I'm disappointed we haven't seen more of him, but he's very lightweight...he probably needs to bulk up a bit first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

mink_man wrote: »
    their biggest mistake was letting go of flamini

What would you have suggested Arsenal do, if he wanted to go he wanted to go, no point in having a player who:

a) wanted to be elsewhere; and
    b) wasnt quite as good as he would like to believe.*

* Actually as I type this I realised I could just as easily be talking about 'offside Ade' - difference been we could get a nice wad for this wantaway.

Bendtner isnt good enough to be starting week in week out for us. If Ade does go he will have to be replaced with another striker, I cant understand why you would want to see the squad weakened in terms of strikers.

We're all pretty familar with the amount of injuries the squad suffers throughout the season and i think having strength and depth in the squad is vital if we're to challenge for silverware next season.

Tbh if Ade is sold i would be shocked if Wenger doesnt put a certain amount of that money towards another striker.
    Agreed.

Im not too sure if that question was directed at me, but i never said that we should hold on to Ade, and if a big offer comes in for him id be all for selling him. Its just that he has to be replaced you mention Eduardo and Vela and I would have to agree with jasonorr's comments.

Vela is without doubt a classy player but do you really think he is ready to make an impact for the team on a weekly basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

What would you have suggested Arsenal do, if he wanted to go he wanted to go, no point in having a player who:

a) wanted to be elsewhere; and
    b) wasnt quite as good as he would like to believe.*

* Actually as I type this I realised I could just as easily be talking about 'offside Ade' - difference been we could get a nice wad for this wantaway.

Wasn't it the fact that Arsenal were not prepared to meet his wage demands, which were apparently in line with other top earners at the club? I could be wrong obviously as I'm not an Arsenal supporter and not in touch with the goings on at the club like you but that was what I was lead to believe.

SWAR wrote: »
    Wasn't it the fact that Arsenal were not prepared to meet his wage demands, which were apparently in line with other top earners at the club? I could be wrong obviously as I'm not an Arsenal supporter and not in touch with the goings on at the club like you but that was what I was lead to believe.

I'm not sure to be honest, but he apparently he supported Milan as a child so when they came in for him he couldn't resist. As for wanting parity with the top earners? I'm sure whatever deal was offered was adequate, he only had one season (out of 4) where he could have been described as one of the best players at the club. Deserving of parity...hardly!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

jasonorr wrote: »
    I'm not sure to be honest, but he apparently he supported Milan as a child so when they came in for him he couldn't resist. As for wanting parity with the top earners? I'm sure whatever deal was offered was adequate, he only had one season (out of 4) where he could have been described as one of the best players at the club. Deserving of parity...hardly!

I suppose if he did support Milan as a child then that definately could of sealed things for him; however was he a first team regular for all of his four seasons at the club? Not trying to counter your point, just wondering, as as I said I'm not an Arsenal supporter. Also, it does take time to adapt to the Premier League style, ok 3 years is long enough for anyone, but seen as Arsenal didn't have an abundance of Flamini type players at that time, do you not think they should of been a bit more generous as he was proving himself as a very tidy player. IMO last season has shown that it was a mistake to let him go.

Who would Arsenal fans like to sign as a CM/DM type player, within reason of course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i hear melo has signed a 1yr extension to his contract at fiorentina

Vela is without doubt a classy player but do you really think he is ready to make an impact for the team on a weekly basis?

No definately not.
    But if he was to come on PRE-65mins (this is important as Wenger doesn't seem to understand the word super-sub unless Bendy boots is involved) then i feel Vela could have a massive impact if he were to come on and play alongside RVP up front , with Eduardo playing just off the front 2 in AMC.
    Vela has flourished everytime he's played with Eduardo.

As with Baptista 2 seasons back, Adebayor was always standing around with arms held high making jestures towards players who were genuinely trying but not making the cut and it only hurts their development.
    Baptista was the biggest bastard in football, still couldn't cut it in the Premier league so i don't buy all that bulky nonsense.

• Advertisement

SWAR wrote: »
    I suppose if he did support Milan as a child then that definately could of sealed things for him; however was he a first team regular for all of his four seasons at the club? Not trying to counter your point, just wondering, as as I said I'm not an Arsenal supporter. Also, it does take time to adapt to the Premier League style, ok 3 years is long enough for anyone, but seen as Arsenal didn't have an abundance of Flamini type players at that time, do you not think they should of been a bit more generous as he was proving himself as a very tidy player. IMO last season has shown that it was a mistake to let him go.

He wasn't regarded as a first team regular until his last season at the club although he made more appearances in the '06 season when we got to the champions league final. He was filling in, and doing a very good job, for the injured Ashley Cole. He was then dropped for the Champions League Final and replaced by Cole, who was coming back from injury...a decision I wasn't happy with, especially since Cole fúcked off the following season, and I always thought Flamini might have been bitter about that!

In his 4 seasons he made 153 appearances, that's 38 a season. It's a great return for a squad/utility player, but he was mostly played out of position as cover for injuries (if I remember correctly)...think John O'Shea except better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

if we're to challenge for silverware next season.
    That's a big if - personally I think it'd take more money than we have to overtake Liverpool or United in the League this year. And while we'll have a chance in the Champions League - as always - we'd need a bit of luck.
    Eduardo playing just off the front 2 in AMC
    Really? I'd never have him anywhere bar 'shoulder of the last defender' type positions. Plus I wouldn't want three very very left-footed players as a front three - it'd waste half the pitch.

In other news, Bischoff and Rui Fonte are probably the two biggest names of 8 Reserve/Youth players leaving the club - James Shea and Luke Ayling the biggest 2 of 4 who sign professional terms.

Really? I'd never have him anywhere bar 'shoulder of the last defender' type positions.
    Thank god your not the manager then :D, sure he plays AML/AMC/ST for croatia.

sure he plays AML/AMC/ST for croatia.
    Would they not have Krancjar and Modric there though? I always thought he was up top for them.

Oh no, we sold Ogogo! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/d/dagenham_and_redbridge/8125122.stm

Oh wait, come to think of it, I'm cool with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Galvasean wrote: »
    Oh no, we sold Ogogo! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/d/dagenham_and_redbridge/8125122.stm

Oh wait, come to think of it, I'm cool with that.

Why didn't anyone wake me up before Ogogo went gogo :pac:

*gets coat, actually it's too warm i'll just leg it

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    I disagree, I think we would need a similar type player to replace Ade if he left, I'm not sure Bendtner is quite ready to be his replacement.

Even if you consider Walcott as an out and out winger, Bendtner is still your fourth choice striker.

If you bring someone else in for Ade, you're basically demoting Eduardo and Bendtner to your fourth and fifth choice strikers. Personally, I feel they're too good for that and it's more than enough strikers. Sell Ade and use the cash to bulk up another part of the team.

Also, though we've gone that way in the last few years, I don't think big men up front is what we should be looking to do*. I'd rather see us go back to trying to play through teams and use players like Bendtner and Ade as impact subs. Hopefully, the ability of Arshavin to link midfield and attack will see us take that route a bit more this year.

But all of this is just opinion and everyone's entitled to theirs. I guess mine stems from a strong belief in the Fabregas/Walcott/RVP/Arshavin/Nasri line-up we'll hopefully see a lot of. More zippy ball players and less lumbering oafs dwelling on the ball.

Also Bendtner is quite young and raw but he's improved a lot and has a pretty good goalscoring record. I think he may make a big step forward this year.

*Did anyone else ever feel that this just doesn't seem to suit us. It's like we're trying to play a game that the players either don't want to play or haven't been trained for - as evidenced by our simply woeful standard of crossing. Obviously this is just all speculation but it always seems to me like that ball control, passing and movement are such tenants of Arsenal's game that when it come to trying to blast a ball into the box, we just don't seem to do it with any conviction. Instead you get a half-hearted effort of a cross followed by a feeble challenge in the box. We just don't seem to throw ourselves at the ball and attack it enough.

That's a big if - personally I think it'd take more money than we have to overtake Liverpool or United in the League this year. And while we'll have a chance in the Champions League - as always - we'd need a bit of luck.

I actually dont think its that big an IF at all! I really do think another 1/2 defensive additions to the squad in the midfield role and the defense itself, will be enough and i would be pretty confident we will be able to challenge for trophies next season!

Utd imo have taken a massive blow with the loss of Ronaldo and with Tevez also hitting the road! They've confirmed the signing of Valencia a few hours ago who for me is another Nani and a player not up the required standard of a top four club. I know they will be looking for more players but alot of their targets seem to be Spain bound!

Obviously Utd are the team we need to be catching up with but i really dont think the squad come the start of the new season with the right additions to it will be too far away from them.

I really do think another 1/2 defensive additions to the squad in the midfield role and the defense itself, will be enough ... i really dont think the squad come the start of the new season with the right additions to it will be too far away from them.
    Yes but that'd be the "it'll take more money than we have" part of my argument :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/3k-gallery

They're trying to rip us off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The away shirt is nice but I am not sold on this one.

• Advertisement

Yes but that'd be the "it'll take more money than we have" part of my argument :)

Ya i had a feeling i was kind of ignoring the main point of your agrument after reading through my post!!!

I think a fully fit squad atm is good enough to challenge next season*, injuries as we all know become a problem and this is when the squad is tested.

Wenger most have plans to strenghten the midfield with a new player in a DM type role that we can surely budget for.

Who knows but maybe he does need the money from selling Adebayor to both replace him and add to the midfield!

* hopefully Vermaelen can settle into English football pretty quickly and is successfull, hes after costing enough!!!

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The away shirt is nice but I am not sold on this one.

I thought the away jersey was nice enough in the pictures aswell but seen some one wearing it at the weekend with Arshavin printed on the back and imo its a pretty sh*te looking jersey!

The white one doesnt look much beter especially the long sleeve version!

I just hope we don't play away to many teams in red this season. i don't like the look of eithere the away or the 3rd jersey.
    http://onlinestore.arsenal.com/icat/replicakit
    Pity because I wanted to get a jersy with Arshavin on the back. At least I'll save a hundred odd euro this year (unless the training kits/coaching shirts are awesome :P)
    Might pick up the goalie jersey if the price goes down. Its a bit plain looking though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

We havnt had a nice kit in a couple of years now, the current red one is ok I suppose but Arsenals jerseys years ago were always the best. The away and 3rd strip are pinstriped...wtf, thats only for suits! And yeah, ill end up buying the jerseys anyway!! :rolleyes:

FearDark wrote: »
    We havnt had a nice kit in a couple of years now,

I'm a big fan of last seasons yellow away jersey. i like the home one too, but its a bit copy n' paste from the previous one.
    the current red one is ok I suppose but Arsenals jerseys years ago were always the best.
    JVC for life (and some of teh Dreamcast ones too)
    The away and 3rd strip are pinstriped...wtf, thats only for suits! And

:D Agreed!

Galvasean wrote: »
    i don't like the look of eithere the away or the 3rd jersey.
    Yup, same here... the 3rd strip is particularly gack - I just don't understand this recent fascination with the polo shirt/baseball jersey look. Wish we could've had last year's away jersey as the 3rd strip this year, I liked that.
    Pity because I wanted to get a jersy with Arshavin on the back. At least I'll save a hundred odd euro this year
    Ah come on, his name isn't THAT long :)

Ah come on, his name isn't THAT long :)

I meant between the two new jerseys

I've always bought the kits every year.
    I love our current home kit, reminds me of the good ol days.

The away and 3rd kit are just CHAVTASTIC!!!
    They look **** in the worst possible way and i won't be buying any.

I've always bought the kits every year.
    I love our current home kit, reminds me of the good ol days.

The away and 3rd kit are just CHAVTASTIC!!!
    They look **** in the worst possible way and i won't be buying any.

Bought the away one and I like it, can't say I like the look of the 3rd kit, would have to see it properly though!

From the BBC Gossip!
    Arsenal defender William Gallas says he will not sign a new contract with the Gunners and will walk away from the Emirates for free when his deal expires next summer if he is not allowed to leave this year. Inter Milan are interested in the 31-year-old.

Daily Mirror!

• Advertisement

From the BBC Gossip!

Daily Mirror!

If it's true, good riddance.
    He's been building up to this for a while despite having a quiet and good second half of the season last year.
    Hope Adebayor joins him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Not a lot of activity today lads :(
    Ramsey and Wilshere sign new long term contracts:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

First time online in a week and really not the news i wanted to hear.
    Gallas leaving would suck, but if we could get a decent price for him we may aswell cash in rather than have him bring down squad morale.

Also if he does leave we need another CB for sure

We still need another centre back in my opinion. Our injury record in the past few seasons has been embarassing so we still need to sign some players to cover the inevitable losses.

I like how the media have recycled old quotes from Gallas saying he wants to see out his contract at Arsenal and come out with, "Gallas wants to leave Arsenal for free!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

This gave me a great chuckle. :D

Rangers contribution to the Emirates Cup

Fish Bar. :D So funny.

http://www.arsenal.com/splash/122/emirates-cup-2009-a-taste-of-europe-in-n5

DenMan wrote: »
    This gave me a great chuckle. :D

Rangers contribution to the Emirates Cup

Fish Bar. :D So funny.

http://www.arsenal.com/splash/122/emirates-cup-2009-a-taste-of-europe-in-n5

A plaice to go to relieve your HUNger perhaps??

\gets coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

These 'four team' pre-season tournaments seem to be getting poorer every year. In 2007, it was Inter, PSG and Valencia. In 2008, the tournament had Real Madrid and Juventus.

This year we have PSG, Atletico and Rangers. It must have been a case of several teams turning down the invite and the organisers saying :".....Ok lads, we've been turned down by Madrid, Barcelona...., Swindo Town. Let's give the boys up North a call. They'll surely be free. Who else would want them to participate in a prestigious tournament?" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

LOL :pac:
    These 'four team' pre-season tournaments seem to be getting poorer every year.
    In 2007: Inter, PSG and Valencia
    In 2008: Real Madrid and Juventus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    LOL :pac:

:o:o:o

Obviously, I should have said 'this year'. Just trying to focus on the attractiveness of our own hosted tournament after our poor form last year. Have we fallen down the pecking order this much in one year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement