Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

wow quiet here....i had to go to page 2 to find the thread.

SSN just reporting that Arsenal have made a bid close to Felipe Melo's release clause which is €25m and that Eboue was offered the other way. Theyre saying that if the deal does go ahead Eboue would be part of the deal.

Im guessing a lot of you are happy with Eboue going but what do ya make of Melo? Is he the foil for Cesc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Long term replacement for someone like Gilberto, decent player from what I've seen in the Confed Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

p_larkin99 wrote: »

SSN just reporting that Arsenal have made a bid close to Felipe Melo's release clause which is €25m and that Eboue was offered the other way. Theyre saying that if the deal does go ahead Eboue would be part of the deal.

Im guessing a lot of you are happy with Eboue going but what do ya make of Melo? Is he the foil for Cesc?

that could be a great signing for arsenal

good player melo

I just cant believe the price. The worlds gone mad. Such an inflated market at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Melo has been dubbed the next Gilberto Silva. Its arguable that when Cesc broke onto the scene playing alongside Gilberto Silva he was showing the first glimpses of genius that he continued playing alongside Flamini. If Melo is "the next Gilberto Silva" it might be an opportunity for Cesc to get back the spark that he was missing for most of last season, which might have been brought on by the pressure of capatincy and being the most responsbile player in midfield. Having Melo behind him (presumably) this will release Cesc to take the attacking role by the throat which is what we lacked for a lot of lat season. Could be a good signing but €25M is a ridiculous price, and I personally wouldn't like to see Eboue leave after the effort he put in at the latter half of the season in an attempt to win back the fans that booed him. He is often criticized but he is a versatiile player that is back up for Sagna aswell as challenging for a place on the wing.

Rumour has it Veloso is being sold to make way for Caicedo from Man City. Maybe Frisbee could have his prayers answered :D

• Advertisement

I think he wanted him back in January too, so Wenger is obviously following up a long term interest for the guy.

Edit: Just did a bit of a background check on Melo, he's 25! After only breaking through into the Brazil side recently I thought he'd be much younger.

2003 Cruzeiro 29 (1)
    2004 Grêmio 19 (3)
    2005 Mallorca 8 (0)
    2005–2007 Racing de Santander 48 (6)
    2007–2008 Almería 34 (7)
    2008– Fiorentina 29 (2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

p_larkin99 wrote: »

Soccer Forum Hot Thread Links

ftw

Ha, never noticed that before. Should be helpful. Who says you mods do a ****e job (not me :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

will be good signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Quazzie wrote: »
    it might be an opportunity for Cesc to get back the spark that he was missing for most of last season, which might have been brought on by the pressure of capatincy and being the most responsbile player in midfield.
    Or being knackered after the Euros and then being injured for most of the season?

As long as Melo's dynamic enough to sometimes get ahead of Cesc and sometimes stay behind, I'll be happy - though if he's more in the Gilberto mold, then that mightn't be the case. I'm all for Cesc being able to concentrate on attacking as much as possible, but that doesn't always mean being high up the pitch.

• Advertisement

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Or being knackered after the Euros and then being injured for most of the season?
    Valid point, although he wasn't that heavily involve in the Euros, certainly not as much as Xavi and Iniesta, and look at the seasn they had.
    yahoo_moe wrote: »
    As long as Melo's dynamic enough to sometimes get ahead of Cesc and sometimes stay behind, I'll be happy - though if he's more in the Gilberto mold, then that mightn't be the case. I'm all for Cesc being able to concentrate on attacking as much as possible, but that doesn't always mean being high up the pitch.
    Exactly. Cesc trying to cut down opposition attacks, change the flow and provide the cutting edge might be just beyond him. Maybe an ease on cutting down the oppositions attack might leave him freer to set up the counter and supply killer passes that were missing due to the change on emphasis of his game last season. If it does that, the maybe €25M might be a valid price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

€25m for Melo is crazy money ...oh wait, have Arsenal FC successfully brainwashed me into thinking spending large amounts on players is unsustainable, and that a 17 year old French youth international will be much better value at €4m. At this point I actually don't care if we pay over the odds for a player. Look where that has got us. We pay top dollar to buy merchandise and watch games with little reinvestment in the team. It's time to get back in the transfer saddle to attract some proper players.

Felipe Melospacer.gif's agent has stressed that the Fiorentina midfielder has not opened talks about a transfer with another club.
    Fiorentina issued a statement on Saturday confirming the Brazil international's current contract holds a €25million (£21.4m) buy-out clause.
    The Viola also claimed that Arsenal are the only side to have come close to reaching that figure, while they hinted Emmanuel Ebouespacer.gif could be used as a makeweight in the potential transfer.
    Melo's representative, Jose Rodriguez Baster, has now moved to state that discussions between Arsenal and the player are not ongoing as an agreement has not been struck with Fiorentina.
    "We are not negotiating with any club, if a team is interested in the player they must first find an agreement with Fiorentina," said Baster.
    "There is much talk about Felipe because he has enjoyed a great season. But we are not dealing with any club."
    Juventus are also thought to be interested in Melo, who is contracted to Fiorentina until 2013 after the Italian club opted to take up a further year on his previous deal.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5415049,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Looks like Adebayor is taking the Michael Owen route re a brochure.

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/arseblog/posts/exclusive-adebayor039s-michael-owen-style-brochure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Looks like Adebayor is taking the Michael Owen route re a brochure.

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/arseblog/posts/exclusive-adebayor039s-michael-owen-style-brochure

brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anybody fancy a trip to Spain?
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/valencia

Also, Gibbs signs new long term contract. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Just seen the Bbc text there saying that Florentina eye Eboue as part of the Melo deal.
    Also seen in the gossip column that AC Milan are gonna offer 20mil plus Flamini,
    That would be a fantastic deal imo.

There wouldn't be much point bringing in Melo and Flamini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sure there would. Why settle for one decent midfielder when they can have two? The other top teams have huge squads.

I can't see us spending €20million+ on Melo without making him the 1st choice pairing for Fabregas. Likewise I doubt Flamini would come back without being made the top man for that role.

• Advertisement

Sure there would. Why settle for one decent midfielder when they can have two? The other top teams have huge squads.
    But the key to a good squad is having players who accept not being first choice all the time - the Parks, Fletchers, Mikels and O'Sheas. Melo shouldn't move in a World Cup year if Flamini is coming too (and we can't afford £20m for a bench player like, say, Chelsea) and given how Flamini left, he'll absolutely expect to be first choice and sufficiently well rewarded.

PS While I'd take back 2007-08 Flamini in a heartbeat, would nobody else be nervous that he won't be the same after a year of benchwarming? Or that his attitude won't be the same when he's not playing to prove himself (and, in actual fact, would kind of be coming back with his tail between his legs)?

I don't know if you Gunners hold "Arsenal Mania" in high esteem, but according to them Felipe Melo isn't interested.

EDIT:
    Just found the same story on Sky, looks like you'll be missing out folks.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5416187,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I don't know if you Gunners hold "Arsenal Mania" in high esteem, but according to them Felipe Melo isn't interested.

EDIT:
    Just found the same story on Sky, looks like you'll be missing out folks.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5416187,00.html

Not a bit worried about speculation, whether it be that we are or aren't signing Melo. Wenger knows we need a defensive midfielder and not getting an adequate one in would mean another year not challenging for major trophies (in my opinion of course).

So, I'd be fairly confident we'll sign somebody for that position, I just haven't got a clue who or whether or not I'd be suitably impressed with that signing!

Reports in SSN that Arsenal set a value of £40 for Fabregas should Barca or Real come a knocking. :eek:

Would anybody be happy with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Reports in SSN that Arsenal set a value of £40 for Fabregas should Barca or Real come a knocking. :eek:

To see the captain and one of the most talented players at the club?!?! Madness, I think if Ronaldo is worth £80 million, then we should have a higher value.

But you have to look for a replacement and I dont think there is someone at the club or available in "our" price bracket, so I don't think there should be anyone leaving. At least this year....if in 12 months there are still only spider webs in the trophy cabnet, then thats a different story.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Nope.

Not really when you see the mad money prices floating around.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Not really when you see the mad money prices floating around.
    It originated from The Sun, I think.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    It originated from the desk of some lazy hack who has done absolutely no research, I think.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Not a chance!

If ronaldo is worth £80 million then Fabregas is worth a lot more than that. Plus, who would replace him?

Lets hope its just the usual paper talk in the silly season.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Arsenal back to the training ground today preparing for pre-season, hopefully we can make another signing pretty soon to give him some match time before the league kicks off.

According to SSN Carlos Vela was the only absentee from training after picking up an ankle injury playing for Mexico. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Anyone think Richard Dunne would have been worth a punt at £2m? If he would have been willing to sit on the bench that is. Would be good having someone like him coming in after injuries, instead of someone like Sylvestre/Cygan/Stepanovs/insert shít defender here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Anyone think Richard Dunne would have been worth a punt at £2m? If he would have been willing to sit on the bench that is. Would be good having someone like him coming in after injuries, instead of someone like Sylvestre/Cygan/Stepanovs/insert shít defender here.

I think the bit in bold would have been the problem - really can't see Dunne as the type willing to warm a bench. Barring injuries I would expect him to be an ever-present at Sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Just seen the Bbc text there saying that Florentina eye Eboue as part of the Melo deal.
    Also seen in the gossip column that AC Milan are gonna offer 20mil plus Flamini,
    That would be a fantastic deal imo.

PLEASE let the Eboue / Melo deal work out. In fact I would be happy to see Eboue swapped for Dustin the Turkey.

really can't see Dunne as the type willing to warm a bench.
    Yup - I think that, given his stature in the international team, he'd have to want first-team football.

• Advertisement

Yeah I guess, but I wouldn't see him as completely warming the bench. He'd probably end up playing as many games as any other centre back at the club. Wouldn't play week in week out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Not a chance!

If ronaldo is worth £80 million then Fabregas is worth a lot more than that. Plus, who would replace him?

Lord, he's good. But he's not that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

PDN wrote: »
    In fact I would be happy to see Eboue swapped for Dustin the Turkey.

Agree totally.
    Although i do believe we have enough "Melo" type players at the club.

Gooners everywhere are used to the "Cesc Sale" every season, let it pass.

My only wish this season is to lose Adebaywhore & Ebooue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Agree totally.
    Although i do believe we have enough "Melo" type players at the club.

Who? Song is the only solid defensive midfielder we had last season... Denílson is good, but not really for breaking up play. Im not saying Melo is great or anything, but a having two solid defensive midfeilders would be a good start to the pre season.

I wouldn't even call Song solid. His passing is atrocious. As for Denilson, he's not a natural DM. He's more at home in the Cesc role, which he will not be getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Lord, he's good. But he's not that good.

I think he meant if Ronaldo is worth £80m, then Fabregas should be worth a lot more than the reported £40m, which I think is a fair point!

thorbarry wrote: »
    Who? Song is the only solid defensive midfielder we had last season... Denílson is good, but not really for breaking up play. Im not saying Melo is great or anything, but a having two solid defensive midfeilders would be a good start to the pre season.

Getting rid of Adebayor & Eboue would be an even better one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

This is very promising I have to say. Be great if the deal goes through.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5418693,00.html

DenMan wrote: »
    This is vey promising I have to say. Be great if the deal goes through.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5418693,00.html

Excellent!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arseblog has an interesting interview with Ivan Gazidis today.

Getting rid of Adebayor & Eboue would be an even better one.

I'd have to disagree. If Ade's attitude isn't right and we still have him come next season, he wont play. As much as Eboue frustrates me, he is decent back up/ utility player. I think strengthening the defensive side of our game is much more important than letting 2 players go

As most of you know, over the pre season Arsenal are linked to a massive amount of players, from Martins, to Owen, basically anybody that can kick a ball. I check Arsenal News Now regularly, but the past couple of months on the site have been absolutely ridiculous, rumour after rumour... This guy called "rocky" has his version of it, which is basically the same as the news now feed, but, he has filtered out All the crap. So check it out, if you want to read news stories about arsenal, and not just the same crap reprinted from the Sun, and the mirror

http://www.rockynewsnow.info/

thorbarry wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree. If Ade's attitude isn't right and we still have him come next season, he wont play. As much as Eboue frustrates me, he is decent back up/ utility player. I think strengthening the defensive side of our game is much more important than letting 2 players go

Eboue's an athlete nothing more, and a thug at times.
    Couldn't pass to save his life.
    Doesn't deserve to be wearing the shirt IMO.

I agree with what your saying, that game against Spurs this season, I wanted to kill him. I too don't think he deserves to play for us, he isn't good enough and is a liability. But as much as I think that, I stress it is much more important for us to strengthen the defensive side of our game than get rid of Eboue. If I was given an option, A) Sell Eboue or B) Buy a defensive midfielder. It would be B every time

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Oh no!

gun__1246969296_training07072009.jpg

and who's the guy to the right of Senderos ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement