Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Roaster wrote: »
    Oh no!

Oh no it's Senderos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

thorbarry wrote: »
    Denílson is good, but not really for breaking up play.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/season-review-stats

His percentage isn't as high as Song's but his numbers are better - and anecdotally, I'd say that Song had a few pass interceptions included in his tackle count, whereas Denilson's tend to be man-to-man.

Plus when he gets the ball, his passing is more incisive - check out Guardian chalkboards for comparisons of where the two pass the ball (though I agree with Galvasean that he's still adapting from the Cesc role to the Gilberto/Flamini role).

gun__1246969296_training07072009.jpg
    That's disgraceful - third in our Player of the Season and nobody even gave Manuel a pair of shorts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/season-review-stats

His percentage isn't as high as Song's but his numbers are better - and anecdotally, I'd say that Song had a few pass interceptions included in his tackle count, whereas Denilson's tend to be man-to-man.

Plus when he gets the ball, his passing is more incisive - check out Guardian chalkboards for comparisons of where the two pass the ball (though I agree with Galvasean that he's still adapting from the Cesc role to the Gilberto/Flamini role).

Interesting stats, i remember looking at the guardian chalkboards a while ago, very good indeed. I agree that denilson is a much better passer of the ball than song, but i think song suits playing in front of the back 4 more than denilson. But as you say he is still adapting "Cesc role to the Gilberto/Flamini role". He is a very intelligent player, and hopefully if cesc stays fit, we can see some competition between Song/ Denilson next year to partner him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

DenMan wrote: »
    This is very promising I have to say. Be great if the deal goes through.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5418693,00.html

Valid sawp eh? So Eboué is worth €25million now? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Galvasean wrote: »

Oh at least Galv. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Of course, wouldn't you pay the team that to take him off your hands.? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Oh no!

gun__1246969296_training07072009.jpg

and who's the guy to the right of Senderos ;)

There's no way he's going to get his game ahead of Vermaelen, although he may prove worthy if he has to stand in.
    My problem is not keeping Eboue, it's playing him ahead of any other squad member:pac:

Senderos as a back up player would be okay, but certainly not a 20 game + per season man.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

gun1246968754training07.jpg

3 reasons for optimism this coming season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Apparently Melo has signed for Juve. Eboue will be staying with you for the forseeable future

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Apparently Melo has signed for Juve. Eboue will be staying with you for the forseeable future

yea it looks like that's the case, Melo apparently is signing for them, nothing official yet, but I suspect it will go through. I'm sure Aresne has other targets in mind that we don't know about, we know how secretive he can be in transfer dealings. I remember the Eduardo transfer came out of no where, although, in contrast there was the Arshavin transfer. Two sides of the coin really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Just got a text confirming that Van Persie has signed a new long-term deal worth £ 80,000 a week. Although the preview feature on my phone read "Arsenal have confirmed that star strike Robin Van Persie has signed" and I thought it was going to continue "for Man Utd" or something. Co-worker had to ask me why I was swearing at my phone :o

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Happy days RVP signs a new long term contract!:)

I wonder will he be arsenal.coms player of the season?:rolleyes:

Contract news!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

gun1246968754training07.jpg

3 reasons for optimism this coming season!

If Rosicky and Eddie are still playing regularly in 2 months time THEN its a reason for optimism. I really hope we get some luck this year with injuries.

• Advertisement

thorbarry wrote: »
    I'm sure Aresne has other targets in mind that we don't know about, we know how secretive he can be in transfer dealings. I remember the Eduardo transfer came out of no where, although, in contrast there was the Arshavin transfer. Two sides of the coin really

I remember Wenger having a very angry rant a few years back when the likes of Madrid and Chelsea kept sniping his transfer targets. That's why he never talks about them anymore. With Arshavin it was all media talk (it was kinda obvious, he was in North London on transfer deadline day after issuing a statement a week or two before saying he didn't want to join Tottenham). The Arsenal camp were very quiet at the time. Not a word 'til the deal was well and done.
    Similarly with Vermaelen it was Vermaelen's agent talking up the transfer. Wenger didn't mention him until he was at the stadium holding the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Something great about Arshavin and Rosicky together. Be an awesome combination. Both players love to shoot and are so creative. Happy days ahead for us. :)

The Arsenal camp were very quiet at the time. Not a word 'til the deal was well and done.

Its the way it should be done really, i dont like this crap Barca and Real do, naming the players they want, and talking it up in the press, makes for bad transfer dealings

If Melo goes to Juve, it won't be a massive surprise - Fiorentina have been practically threatening to reach an agreement with Arsenal while always mentioning Juve, and Melo saying he's happy in Florence (rather than at Fiorentina), reckon the move a couple of hundred miles away is more likely than the one to a new country and new league. But sure we'll see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Alright lads whats the craic.

I'm away for like another 5 weeks and the internet here is ridiculously slow.

So... would any of you be able to do me a really big favour and if we get any new signings just PM me with them?

Takes so long to load these super threads off these crappy thai computers....

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Frisbee wrote: »
    Alright lads whats the craic.

I'm away for like another 5 weeks and the internet here is ridiculously slow.

So... would any of you be able to do me a really big favour and if we get any new signings just PM me with them?

Takes so long to load these super threads off these crappy thai computers....

Cheers

And let us know if you spot Arsene watching matches in the Thai second division for our next signing :pac:

In boardroom news, the club has rejected Usmanov's proposal to issue more shares to raise capital (either to reduce debt or to sign players).

So if he's going to increase his stake, it'll have to be by buying shares from existing shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Our first game against Everton will also be ESPN's first.

1st batch of EPL televised games released..

http://www.premierleague.com/page/UKAndIreland/0,,12306,00.html

8 Gunners matches in it.
    Everton v Arsenal
    Goodison Park
    This match will still be played on Saturday 15th August 2009, Kick Off will now be 5.15pm
    Live on ESPN

Manchester United v Arsenal
    Old Trafford
    This match will still be played on Saturday 29th August 2009, Kick Off will now be 5.15pm
    Live on SKY Sports

Fulham v Arsenal
    Craven Cottage
    This match will still be played on Saturday 26th September 2009, Kick Off will now be 5.15pm
    Live on ESPN

Arsenal v Blackburn Rovers
    Emirates Stadium
    This match will now be played on Sunday 4th October 2009, Kick Off 1.30pm
    Live on SKY Sports

West Ham United v Arsenal
    Boleyn Ground
    This match will now be played on Sunday 25th October 2009, Kick Off 4.15pm
    Live on SKY Sports

Arsenal v Tottenham Hotspur
    Emirates Stadium
    This match will still be played on Saturday 31st October 2009, Kick Off will now be 12.45pm
    Live on SKY Sports

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal
    Molineux Stadium
    This match will still be played on Saturday 7th November 2009, Kick off will now be 5.15pm
    Live on ESPN

Arsenal v Chelsea
    Emirates Stadium
    This match will now be played on Sunday 29th November 2009, Kick Off 4pm
    Live on SKY Sports

Not bad. here's hoping the ESPN games are part of teh digital package as opposed to pay-per-view

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Not bad. here's hoping the ESPN games are part of teh digital package as opposed to pay-per-view

As far as I'm aware it's an add on package to your normal Sky Sports one. It will be £9 per month in England so god knows what they'll charge us over here.

I'm not giving those Sky feckers anymore money so I'll be watching them somewhere else;)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I was browsing Paddy Power website yesterday and Eduardo is quoted at 33/1 for top goalscorer. Now if he stays fit (and it's a big if) I think that's defo worth a punt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I was browsing Paddy Power website yesterday and Eduardo is quoted at 33/1 for top goalscorer. Now if he stays fit (and it's a big if) I think that's defo worth a punt.

if Arsenal sell Adebayor then yes quickly take a punt on that before prices rises but otherwise he will still prob be 3rd in the Arsenal pecking order behind Ade and RVP so to be the top scorer in all the prem really would be hard to see imo (he has the talent tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Kroenke ups Arsenal stake!

Stan Kroenke has purchased a further 160 shares in Arsenal to take his total holding of the Premier League club to 28.58 per cent.

from skysports!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Right I got some insider info on Vermaelen. I asked a Belgian guy I know if he's any good...

He thinks he's ok, nothing special. Probably won't make it off the bench.

Right I got some insider info on Vermaelen. I asked a Belgian guy I know if he's any good...

I'm not saying your wrong, cos, TBH i dont know anything about the player but, was he not captain at Ajax? And i aint saying Ajax are a great team, but Captain at a young age, maybe he bought him for future potential

• Advertisement

Good work, but I know some Irish people who would drop Robbie Keane from the Irish team if they had a chance so beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.
    Goin on the fact that he was captain of a big club at 23, AW's previous transfer track record and as a bonus he looks like he has previously killed human and possibly puppies.
    So I remain very hopeful about this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I seriously doubt a manager like Wenger would spend 10 mill to put a player on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

tumbleweed.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What has the Emirates got to do with anything :D

Yeah everything far too quiet at the moment for my liking. I'll go nuts if a defensive mid isn't signed before September 1st. Not hearing anything about Adebayor being offloaded either. Looks like he might be sticking around, nobody wants him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

does anyone see Kolo toure stepping up into a defensive midfield role this season? Remember when we bought him he was actually considered an attacking midfielder, so midfield is not strange to him.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

There isn't even rumours of a DM coming in anymore. This worries me.
    I mean AW did say he wanted to get players in before pre season.

Who is a feasible target?
    Lorik Cana maybe.
    A Flamini return is unlikely.

does anyone see Kolo toure stepping up into a defensive midfield role this season? Remember when we bought him he was actually considered an attacking midfielder, so midfield is not strange to him.

This point has been made before, even though he has the energy levels for it, his passing is not good enough and doesn't have the composure on the ball when space is limited like in mid-field. So imo I don't think he could be a DM for a long period of time, a stop gap maybe for a few games if we were stuck but no longer than that.

DB10 wrote: »

Who is a feasible target?
    Lorik Cana maybe.
    A Flamini return is unlikely.

Blaise Matuidi a DM with St Etienne has been mentioned a few times. He is only 22 though but looks like a typical AW signing. A French player of African descent that isn't a big name.

• Advertisement

there is still loads of time to get players in, and the fact that nobody is being linked to us, is not a bad thing... players being constantly linked to us does not mean that we are interested in them. We signed vermalen... and had been linked to about 4/5 others, maybe more since then. Buying players is importsnt, not being linked, and to be honest, its hard to believe in half the crap you read online anyway

I would really prefer an experienced head and Matuidi looks very inexperienced to me.

Also is anyone else disappointed that we never seem to get British/Irish players anymore?
    We always had a few starters, for the coming season we only have Walcott that could stake a claim for first choice and even then with Rosicky back he may not even start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sky Sports reporting that Adebayor is in talks with Man City.........

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5430969,00.html

Mind you...who isnt ! :rolleyes:

Andip wrote: »

if that is true and does happen, it would be great. We can milk a lot of money out of man city :D

He is worth at least 40 million now :D

We are royally ****ed if this happens. Selling our best striker to a rival team is just idiotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

We are royally ****ed if this happens. Selling our best striker to a rival team is just idiotic.

tbh I think it could be a good thing and I wouldn't be sad to see him go if I followed Arsenal but I think alot will depend on what players ye can bring in this summer 3 or 4 players are required to make a title challenge.

Meh, City are stupidly rich and are gonna end up strengthening their attack anyway. I'll be glad it'll be Adebayor playing up front for them and not somebody like Eto'o or Villa. I wouldn't rate Adebayor in the same league as either of them.

I doubt there's a huge transfer budget at Arsenal this summer so getting a huge amount of money out of City would probably be beneficial to the team. I can see them playing hardball on this one though as nobody else seems to be interested in Adebayor, and they won't want to become known for just paying three times too much for every player they sign.

I'm fairly sure Wenger won't bring in another 3-4 players. We got one already and I'm not even sure we will get a DM at all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Micah richards the other way??? is it possible?

tred wrote: »
    Micah richards the other way??? is it possible?

Last thing we need is swine flu keeping half teh team out of action 'til Christmas!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement