Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

strangely enough i haven't seen this mentioned:
    Adebayor signs a new long-term contract

Arsenal can today confirm that Togolese forward Emmanuel Adebayor has signed a new long-term contract with the Club.

Adebayor (24) scored 30 goals in all competitions last season, including one in the away fixture at Tottenham Hotspur which earned him the honour of Premier League Goal of the Season 2007/08.

Individual accolades last term also included a place in the PFA Team of the Year while the forward also finished in third place in the PFA Player of the Year.

Everyone at Arsenal looks forward to Emmanuel’s continued contribution to the Club over the coming years.

BBC are saying he's on around 80k a week. what kind of jammy c*nt gets a pay rise for messing around his employers?

edit: ah Royale ya bollox... beat me to it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    So much for our Nordtveit predictions - he's off to Salamanca for the season:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/defender-joins-spanish-club-on-seasons-loan

Kieron Gibbs is also gone to Reading.

Ah well if it gets the lads first team experience. I have high hopes for Gibbs. From what I saw he looks lively and versatile too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Adebayor signs new long term deal. Haven't heard what he's being paid yet. It had better not be a stupid amount. He hasn't earned it, and he doesn't deserve it. A bad season now and he'll be worth under £10m earning big money.

That said, the booing needs to stop. I'm sure he's got the message now. The team needs him playing at his best and the fans have to realise that.

I think he was massively overvalued this summer and would have been happy enough to see him leave provided we got an adequate replacement. I do agree, the boos have to stop, but news of a new lucrative conract probably only going to make things worse, for a while at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

So much for our Nordtveit predictions - he's off to Salamanca for the season:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/defender-joins-spanish-club-on-seasons-loan

Kieron Gibbs is also gone to Reading.

Can only be good for Nordtveit, hopefully he'll get a good bit of first team experience with them.
    Would have liked to see him as a squad player this year all the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Ade despite being a git over the summer he deservres the raise, but not the raise he was looking for. He headed straight for the tunnel after the game on saturday apparently the booing got to him.

As for our midfield signing, a typical arsenal one; we've no idea who it is and probably will have no idea who he is when we get him.

the booing is getting a bit lame tbh. He commited his future to the club (for now anyway). He has worked hard for the team past two games and in pre season and scored a goal. the idots should let him get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It is probably the same idiots who leave with 10 minutes to go so they can beat the crowds :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nasri expected to start for the French :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

OPENROAD wrote: »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo :eek:
    Go away please curse :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It is probably the same idiots who leave with 10 minutes to go so they can beat the crowds :mad:

tbh, i'd imagine its the very people who don't do that.

I don't agree with booing your own players, but it aint the day trippers booing him, its the hardcore fans i'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Mr Alan wrote: »
    tbh, i'd imagine its the very people who don't do that.

I don't agree with booing your own players, but it aint the day trippers booing him, its the hardcore fans i'd imagine.

How do you imagine that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

jank wrote: »
    How do you imagine that?

Well, the hardcore supporters in general will always take longer to forgive things like Ade done in the summer.

For example, at OT this season, bell ends from Ireland/London/Norway etc will be there cheering Ronaldo, singing his name etc etc but you can bet the staunch followers who are there week in week out wont be.

Similarly, Gerrard has never been forgiven for his Chelsea flirtations by a section of the Liverpool support.

People who are there week in week out are hurt more by players infidelities than people who just take a trip over to see the match.

These people want to see the best players and want to be entertained, in general, and dont really care about anything else.

Whereas the ST holders, in general, care more about the club itself and dont take kindly to people like Ade treating it like ****e.

This is in my experience anyway, but i guess all clubs are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

As for our midfield signing, a typical arsenal one; we've no idea who it is and probably will have no idea who he is when we get him.
    Just thinking this morning that I'm pretty happy about the way this one's shaping up. The start of the season means we're no longer linked left, right and centre with names that don't suit Arsenal or Arsene's style of play (and that he'd never sign) but the man says we'll definitely have a new player by next week and I'm delighted that no-one knows who it is as these are often the ones that work out best for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd agree with Mr. Alan, but I normally put it more to away support. Viva Ronaldo was the athem of the away support last year, it will not be this year. The Arsenal away fans are some of the best in the league, no doubt about that, and I can't see them showing the same affection to Adebayour this year. [and rightly bloody so]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Not anymore!

Will be interesting to see if he is fit for saturday now or was this a "convienent" injury. :pac:
    Samir Nasri has been ruled out of France's friendly with Sweden on Wednesday because of a thigh strain.

The Arsenal midfielder was called into Les Bleus' squad on Monday following the withdrawal of winger Hatem Ben Arfa, who injured his adductors at the weekend.

But Nasri will not board Tuesday's flight to Gothenburg, the French Football Federation confirmed on their website. The former Marseille playmaker has been struggling with a thigh injury for the past couple of weeks, although he was able to start for the Gunners in their Premier League curtain-raiser against West Brom on Saturday.

Nasri, making his debut for the north London club, scored the only goal of that game. France have confirmed they will not be calling up another player to replace Nasri, so they will travel to Sweden with a 19-man squad.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0819/nasris.html

Barazite on loan to Derby till January - should be good experience for him...

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/dutch-midfielder-joins-derby-county-on-loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

What was the story wit V Persie only playing 22 minutes on Saturday?? I missed the match.... Did he get a knock or what? Hows he fixed for Saturday..

Hows he fixed for Saturday..

Sticky tape and prayer. was mystified myself by his absense on saturday, altho Bendtner had a good preseason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ok, so Fox Soccer Channel (FSC ... I know, I know) have reported here on their round up that Arsenal are looking at 3 players and will sign at least 1 if not 2 after the international round of games.

The players they claim are in contention are Gökhan Inler who I know from Serie A, Michael Johnson who is a young Man City player (that I don't know) and Anthony Annan who I've never heard of but is apparently viewed as the best young African player around.

They say the complications lie in the fact that Blackburn are also after Annan and that Johnson is cup tied.

Has anyone heard anything on this?

• Advertisement

GuanYin wrote: »
    and Anthony Annan who I've never heard of but is apparently viewed as the best young African player around.

Weren't United apparently supposed to sign him this summer but they couldnt get a work permit for him or something..?

I thought Toure and Gallas were a strong partnership. Do you think Toure would go to CM then?

I would be very surprised if Toure went into cm, hard to figure this one out probably just paper talk, that said Toure came back a different player after the African nations wasn't as strong as he was actually many said Senderos should have kept his place in the team as he actually looked very good.

Lots of news agencies reporting Silvestre now.

I wonder does that mean 2-3 signings instead of 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ok, so Fox Soccer Channel (FSC ... I know, I know) have reported here on their round up that Arsenal are looking at 3 players and will sign at least 1 if not 2 after the international round of games.

The players they claim are in contention are Gökhan Inler who I know from Serie A, Michael Johnson who is a young Man City player (that I don't know) and Anthony Annan who I've never heard of but is apparently viewed as the best young African player around.

They say the complications lie in the fact that Blackburn are also after Annan and that Johnson is cup tied.

Has anyone heard anything on this?

Yeah, Jonno's going nowhere. Hopefully going to sign a new deal with us, plus his existing one has another four years to run having only be agreed last October/November.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Anthony Annan who I've never heard of but is apparently viewed as the best young African player around.

Sounds like a typical Arsene Wenger singing to me... and his bio sounds like exactley what Arsenal need: 22 years old Ghanaian Defensive CM playing in Norway that despite being unheard of in most circles already has 16caps and is considerd a direct replacement for Essien at international level, who after a great African Nations tournament last year has been scouted by Chelsea, Man Utd, AC Milan, Atletico Madrid and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Hey Liverpoolfan here, watched you guys on saturday, what did ye make of Nasri??, seems another good Wenger signing to me and good ball player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd take Silvestre. Don't care where he's coming from, or if he headbutted Freddie Ljungberg a few years back. Just an experienced defender to provide cover. He'll do.

A decent centre mid signing on top of that, and I'll be much happier than I was a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

pesireland wrote: »
    Hey Liverpoolfan here, watched you guys on saturday, what did ye make of Nasri??, seems another good Wenger signing to me and good ball player.

Same as that, a lot of fans reminiscing about his link-up play with Clichy and likening it to Cole & Pires, Wenger himself has noted on the similarities between Nasri and Pires. He has some lovely passes too.

I think he's injured again, so yes, a typical Wenger signing :rolleyes:

I'd take Silvestre. Don't care where he's coming from, or if he headbutted Freddie Ljungberg a few years back. Just an experienced defender to provide cover. He'll do.

A decent centre mid signing on top of that, and I'll be much happier than I was a few weeks back.

Totally agree, He could provide cover at CB, LB or even RB (I think I saw him play there before) and has experience or both prem and CL, for 750,000 that would not be good business for arsenal imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Silvestre would be a good signing imo, exactly what we need - experienced cover for defence. I'd be very surprised if this does happen however.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Totally agree, He could provide cover at CB, LB or even RB (I think I saw him play there before) and has experience or both prem and CL, for 750,000 that would not be good business for arsenal imo
    Not be bad business I assume you mean?

I'd agree that he'd provide decent cover but I wouldn't let him near RB and I'd be surprised if Fergie had ever let him near there either - like a lot of lefties, he's very left-footed.

Not sure how I'd feel if we signed him :confused: - I definitely think an experienced 'utility' defender (ie CB + full back) is what we need but I would hope for someone younger, more mobile and better technically (and who could maybe push for a starting place). We could probably do worse than Silvestre though so I don't know - and at least it would strengthen the squad where we need it most...

Not be bad business I assume you mean?

yea thats what I meant

The more I read about this the more unlikely it looks, Utd fans are saying that Fergie would never go through with this and I tend to agree
    maybe we could give them Eboue in a swap deal :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That would be VERY surprising. Is the bad blood between Wenger and Fergie gone?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Stronghold of reliability Myles Palmer says Silvestre is in Highbury House signing now!

Strange one if true.

And the Guardian's saying Wenger sees him as first-choice partner for Gallas:
    Another surprise for Arsenal's fans is that Wenger does not regard the former Internazionale defender merely as a squad player, or as a back-up for Gaël Clichy at left-back, but as a first-choice centre-half alongside William Gallas, primarily as a replacement for Philippe Senderos.
    Now I don't mind breaking up Gallas/Toure but I really didn't see Silvestre as the man to do it - is he a better footballer than I ever noticed or is this a bit of a change in policy from Wenger?

Can't see alex let it happen, remember Heinze and the pool.

No way I'd want him signed as a starter in the First team.

If he's for cover that would be ok considering the low price. Although do we really need cover at the back?

LB - Clichy, Traore, Gallas

CB - Toure, Gallas, Senderos, Song

RB - Sagna, Eboue (only position eboue is fit for, cover at rb... :mad:)

And if the plan is to put him in at CB and move Toure up into midfield Id start getting really worried...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,008 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Frisbee wrote: »
    No way I'd want him signed as a starter in the First team.

If he's for cover that would be ok considering the low price. Although do we really need cover at the back?

LB - Clichy, Traore, Gallas

CB - Toure, Gallas, Senderos, Song

RB - Sagna, Eboue (only position eboue is fit for, cover at rb... :mad:)

And if the plan is to put him in at CB and move Toure up into midfield Id start getting really worried...
    I would consider him ahead of Senderos at CB. I think he would be really good signing for Arsenal.

Completely forgot about Djourou at CB as well...

• Advertisement

We have signed Silvetere according to sky sports news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Silvestre is a safer bet at CB than Senderos

I wonder will he be first choice cb i.e Gallas and him?

I wonder will he be first choice cb i.e Gallas and him?

I seriously Hope not..
    Someone who can barely get on the United bench walking into the Arsenal starting line up?
    What kind of signal would that send of us a title challengers?

Also Kolo is a better player...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I actually think its a good signing for Arsenal, proven and experience in the premiership and europe. In fairness to him as well, he was injured for most of last season apart from a few games and the season before i thought when he played he was very good.

I think Arsenal fans will be suprised by how good is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He must have been signed as a squad player. Can't see him starting. Experienced, cheap, French, can play in a number of positions. Sounds alright.

Actually I've a pool supporting friend who thinks he's awful and that's it a rubbish signing. Something about having no positional sense. Admittedly I've never paid him a huge amount of attention. Anybody else out there who thinks he's shyte?

He must have been signed as a squad player. Can't see him starting. Experienced, cheap, French, can play in a number of positions. Sounds alright.

I have a feeling he might start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Odd signing indeed. Has he ever played in the centre with Gallas for France?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement