Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Glad he has gone especially with the fee, never took to him, actually would have more time for Cole, he always gave 100 % . Nothing personal against City fans but I really hope city struggle next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Now that Ade is gone, lets get Huntalaar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Galvasean wrote: »
    Now that Ade is gone, lets get Huntalaar!

Oh that would be sweet.
    Getting a bit worried about City tbh.
    Its too easy to just write them off.

See Wenger said we had two new players in Eduardo and Rosicky....??!!!??

Adebayor should be easily replaced, but he has to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Glad that hes gone so arsene can move on his targets. doubt we will sign Huntelaar though. hopefully bendtner can step up this season

paul150 wrote: »
    Glad that hes gone so arsene can move on his targets. doubt we will sign Huntelaar though. hopefully bendtner can step up this season

Ah Bendtner isn't good enough is he?
    We need to re-invest.

I wish we'd signed Melo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Ah Bendtner isn't good enough is he?
    We need to re-invest.

I wish we'd signed Melo.
    You can say that again.

How much did Ade go for in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Max Power1 wrote: »
    You can say that again.

How much did Ade go for in the end?

Around 25 million pounds I think.

firstly, i love that city jersey and wish arsenal would go for the 'tailored by umbro' approach. id definitely but that. after all umbro is owned by nike so it wouldnt be a huge loss to the company.

i cant understand why we didnt take michael johnson or maybe even a cheeky ireland or richards player plus cash deal.

personally i think both bendtner and barazite will more then fill the ade gap.

we still need a central defensive midfielder. cmon Arsene 25 mil in your pocket!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

we still need a central defensive midfielder. cmon Arsene 25 mil in your pocket!!

that will never be spent on one player though, it isnt Arsene the Economists way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He'll do it, but only on the right player. He spent buckets on Arshavin because he was exactly what he felt the team needed. If he identifies the perfect CDM, I've no doubt he would spend it. They need one. badly. Anyone who has seen Song play a few games knows he isn't up to it at this level at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Kirby wrote: »
    He'll do it, but only on the right player. He spent buckets on Arshavin because he was exactly what he felt the team needed. If he identifies the perfect CDM, I've no doubt he would spend it.

Arshavin was their record transfer fee at 15m iirc I just dont see Arsene Wenger paying 25m for anyone. He obviously would if it was a real World class player but tbh if a 25m established World class DM was available atm id say Real Madrid would have bought em already. Maybe he will get the next Essien or something for like 12m but i dont see him spending the whole amount on one man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

firstly, i love that city jersey and wish arsenal would go for the 'tailored by umbro' approach. id definitely but that. after all umbro is owned by nike so it wouldnt be a huge loss to the company.

i cant understand why we didnt take michael johnson or maybe even a cheeky ireland or richards player plus cash deal.

you'd need liposuction to get him ready for the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Another reason why its pretty much guaranteed that 25 wont go on one dmc is that there really is no1 available in that position in that bracket - likes of alonso,masch,essien etc would be more than that and the next level down ability/availabilty wise the Inlers,Melos (gone i know), Aquilanis, M Diarras wouldnt/shouldnt be more than 15

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm on holidays at the mo so I've limited connectivity but checking in today, I'm very pleased to see that Ade has gone. City are welcome to the ego.

Personally i think you're mad if you think that :D

Ade is by no means irreplaceable as I think Henry is, but give the lad some credit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

For all intensive purposes, our strike force did fine without any decent contribution from Adebayor last year so what's to replace?

Only Liverpool out-scored us in the league last year and did Adebayor even score 10?

We now have Arshavin for the full season and a fit Eduardo, another striker is not needed unless he's either better than what's there or a great buy for the future but this is not the same as replacing Adebayor.

Our attacking line up is:

Fabregas
    Walcott-Nasri
    Arshavin
    Van Persie

with Eduardo, Rosicky and Bendtner all contending for a first team place.

Stick a decent DMF/ballwinner behind that lot and stop conceding cheap goals and we're good enough for a title challenge.

gosplan wrote: »
    For all intensive purposes, our strike force did fine without any decent contribution from Adebayor last year so what's to replace?

Only Liverpool out-scored us in the league last year and did Adebayor even score 10?

We now have Arshavin for the full season and a fit Eduardo, another striker is not needed unless he's either better than what's there or a great buy for the future but this is not the same as replacing Adebayor.

Fabregas
    Walcott-Nasri
    Arshavin
    Van Persie

Stick a decent DMF/ballwinner behind that lot and stop conceding cheap goals and we're good enough for a title challenge.

Totally agree and add to that list Vela and Barazite and were more than sorted with attacking options. Now for a DM:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

gosplan wrote: »

Fabregas
    Walcott-Nasri
    Arshavin
    Van Persie

Thats exactly what I said on here 2 or 3 days back, Ade is no loss. Its as if someone has just handed us 25 million for absolutely nothing because we don't need him and he added nothing. I think we have a fantastic squad at the moment if we can keep everyone fit and bring in a DM we have a very genuine shot at the title this season. Exciting times ahead me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Thats exactly what I said on here 2 or 3 days back, Ade is no loss. Its as if someone has just handed us 25 million for absolutely nothing because we don't need him and he added nothing. I think we have a fantastic squad at the moment if we can keep everyone fit and bring in a DM we have a very genuine shot at the title this season. Exciting times ahead me thinks.

Are you insane???

• Advertisement

Exactly and the amount of chances Ade missed and the amount of chances he could have got if he wasn't offside replace that with Eduardo and most of them chances would have turned to goals. Hopefully a great season ahead lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Can't wait for the new season. Come on Eduardo. :)

jasonorr wrote: »
    Are you insane???
    Not on my last assessment anyway! Lol
    You obviously disagree with me but why? Do you not think we look strong? On the Ade thing, he was our first choice striker for 3 full seasons and only scored about 14 or 15 goals in his first and last seasons. Yeah he scored 30 in the one in between because he put in the effort for a big money move or a new contract but essentially he's a lazy player who misses too many and gets caught offside constantly. I think 25 mil for a guy who might have scored 15 goals for us next season is fantastic. And lets be honest about it, he's not a 25 million pound striker, he's worth about 10-15 max. The only team in the world that would give us 25 is City.

Not on my last assessment anyway! Lol
    You obviously disagree with me but why? Do you not think we look strong? On the Ade thing, he was our first choice striker for 3 full seasons and only scored about 14 or 15 goals in his first and last seasons. Yeah he scored 30 in the one in between because he put in the effort for a big money move or a new contract but essentially he's a lazy player who misses too many and gets caught offside constantly. I think 25 mil for a guy who might have scored 15 goals for us next season is fantastic. And lets be honest about it, he's not a 25 million pound striker, he's worth about 10-15 max. The only team in the world that would give us 25 is City.

You've taken me up completely wrong! Look at the part I highlighted in your post, that's the part I was commenting on!

On another note it's nice to see the arsenal thread lively :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Ade's not irreplaceable but for those saying there's NOTHING to replace, remember that he scored 10 of our 68 league goals last year. Obviously we're hoping Eduardo will more or less play a full season this year but it's far from certain. Given more games, Bendtner should up his tally from last year's 9 but our new main striker always misses 6-8 games a year through injury too so it's all a bit of a shot in the dark if we stick to what we have.

As for suggesting that Barazite will be the one to fill the gap, that's just mental. IMO of course. He's a good player but he won't be displacing Rosicky/Nasri/Arshavin/Walcott just yet, and he ain't a frontman.

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    You've taken me up completely wrong! Look at the part I highlighted in your post, that's the part I was commenting on!
    Oops, sorry I missed that. Maybe its time for another assessment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Fabregas, Rosicky, Arshavin, van Persie, Nasri, Walcott and Eduardo... 2 of them will have to be on the bench along with Bendtner so I don't think Arsenal need another attacker.

I think at home against most teams Fabregas, Rosicky and Nasri may cope without a DMC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I imagine that you guys are delighted that Adebayor is gone. To top it off, 25m is a nice chunk of change.

From reading the last few pages, I see that quite a few Arsenal supporters seem to want another striker signed. Do you really think ye are short of talent up top?

In terms of offensive players, Arsenal possibly have the best players of any team in the league. Fabregas, Nasri, Rosicky, Arshavin, Walcott, Van Persie, Eduardo, Bentdner and Vela is a shed load of talent. Then you have the likes of Wilthsire on the fringe of the first team also.

Considering there is a glaring weaknesses in the centre of midfield and possible the centre of defense, would you not prefer him to go out and spend the 25m on 1, even 2, energetic holding midfielders that should take some pressure off of the defense hopefully reduce the amount of soft goals that ye were conceding last season.

No doubt some will say that ye have Denilson, Diaby and maybe Song in that position. My immediate thoughts on these players are that they may eventually be able to offer Arsenal what they need but they still have a few more seasons of development before they are at the required level. An immediate solution is required if Arsenal are to genuinely mount a challenge.

Also, do you think that selling Adebayor is maybe Wenger signalling his intentions to revert to a 4-2-3-1. IIRC, Arsenal always look far more comfortable in this formation. I think the attacking players maybe suit this formation too. Saying that, I am not sure if Van Persie is up to playing the lone striker role.

Reports on SSN say that Richards has giving Ade the swine flu :p:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I imagine that you guys are delighted that Adebayor is gone. To top it off, 25m is a nice chunk of change.

From reading the last few pages, I see that quite a few Arsenal supporters seem to want another striker signed. Do you really think ye are short of talent up top?

In terms of offensive players, Arsenal possibly have the best players of any team in the league. Fabregas, Nasri, Rosicky, Arshavin, Walcott, Van Persie, Eduardo, Bentdner and Vela is a shed load of talent. Then you have the likes of Wilthsire on the fringe of the first team also.

Considering there is a glaring weaknesses in the centre of midfield and possible the centre of defense, would you not prefer him to go out and spend the 25m on 1, even 2, energetic holding midfielders that should take some pressure off of the defense hopefully reduce the amount of soft goals that ye were conceding last season.

No doubt some will say that ye have Denilson, Diaby and maybe Song in that position. My immediate thoughts on these players are that they may eventually be able to offer Arsenal what they need but they still have a few more seasons of development before they are at the required level. An immediate solution is required if Arsenal are to genuinely mount a challenge.

Also, do you think that selling Adebayor is maybe Wenger signalling his intentions to revert to a 4-2-3-1. IIRC, Arsenal always look far more comfortable in this formation. I think the attacking players maybe suit this formation too. Saying that, I am not sure if Van Persie is up to playing the lone striker role.

That is exactly how i feel anyway. Use the money for a DM and/or defender and we'll be in very good shape. I just hope to christ both Rosicky and Eduardo can stay fit for the most part, they'll make a big difference imo.

• Advertisement

For me a DM is the priority, anything after that is a luxury.

adebayortevezbarry.jpg

Anyone intrested in doing a fantasy football league for just us arsenal fans?

Redzer7 wrote: »

We could organise it via the social group...
    I remember making up a fantasy team made up of only former Arsenal players last season... it didn't do so well.

Yeh and we could give the league code out in a pm so non-boardsies and United fans can't get in:p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Yeah Id be game, be nice not to be in one full of pool and man u fans for once ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I'd be interested.

Yeah, may as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone reckon Mamadou Diarra would be a good signing? I'd say he could be signed for €10 million-ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He'd be better than nobody. What's the deal with his injury though? And how did his Real career go before it? I never really saw much of him.

Seeing that his squad number was taken off him and given to Lassana Diarra last year, they'll most likely be getting rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Id be interested in the fantasy league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

+1

Was going to se up one, but would definitely be inerested, I think if you are setting up one pm the code and kick out any non Arsenal supporters that try and join the league.

You can count me in for the Fantasy Football, I'm up for it. Did rubbish at it last year so hopefully I'll do a bit better this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Goonership 09/10 sounds like a great idea
    I wonder how many teams will not have either Fabregas or Arshavin as their captain :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Delighted Adebaypoor is gone.
    Now we can get back to being "Victory through harmony" without some lanky, money grabbing stick insect getting in the way.
    We don't need any more players in IMO.
    Ok Arsene may decide to get a DM , but that remains to be seen.
    We are quite capable with the squad we have and the return of Rosicky & Eduardo is like two new signings and i think Eduardo will be massive this season if he can stay fit.
    Eduardo top scorer PL = 33/1 what a bet.

Oh and count me in for the League.

So following up on the idea lads what will i create? A head to head league or a classic league?
    EDIT: Right lads just done the classic league so anyone who wants in pm me for the code.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Goonership 09/10 sounds like a great idea
    I wonder how many teams will not have either Fabregas or Arshavin as their captain :pac::pac:

Thanks for the league name ;):pac:.
    Theres also a section where you can post your team etc in the Arsenal social group

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yeah that sounds good, count me in. Be goos to see the social group busy again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

in for the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just to add if anyone wants access to the social group just PM me for an invite. I see quiet a few new faces in here, but will invite on request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement