Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

pssssst, don't tell the other lot but at 6.5, he's an amazing fantasy football prospect, particularly because now Nasri's out, Arshavin will probably spend a decent amount of time on the left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

jasonorr wrote: »
    I have a €50 bet on with one of the lads that he'll get more goals in the 4 competitions than Owen :D
    Your gonna be 50 quid richer then :p:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Your gonna be 50 quid richer then :p:pac:

I think so too, but it's early doors yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Strange seeing Senderos back in an Arsenal shirt, anyone think he can be a force for us this season?

Senderos In Dm :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Please no Wenger anyone but him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

2 for Bendtner, 2 for van Persie, 2 for Ramsey and 1 for Gallas.

7 - 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

2 for Bendtner, 2 for van Persie, 2 for Ramsey and 1 for Gallas.

7 - 1

Funny howler by Big Al.

Funny howler by Big Al.

As long as thats his last one!

As long as thats his last one!

Hopefully so. I think he thought he was on the training ground still.:D
    Ironically enough backpasses are one of his strengths, as opposed to Mad Jens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

gosplan wrote: »
    As regards things like Nasri/Eduardo and Rosicky, Man U were missing Hargreaves and Wes Brown for last year, so I guess those things kind of even out.
    Yup, whoever said we just tend to notice Arsenal injuries more had it spot on.

Liverpool last year missed Gerrard a couple of times in the second half of the season and had Torres out for a while. United were also missing Ronaldo for the first two months of the season, plus had a lot of different defenders picking up small knocks during that big clean sheet run. Chelsea had Joe Cole out for ages, Drogba, Carvalho and Essien likewise. Everton and Villa had very small squads and missed Arteta, Cahill, Laursen, Carew for chunks of last year.

We're not the only team who gets injuries, and no team will ever go an entire season without injuries.

Senderos In Dm :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Please no Wenger anyone but him :pac:
    Y'know, I dont think I'd mind having Big Phil back in the mix for centre half :o.

Our defence was far worse last year without him and although he's not the best defender in the world he is a good header of the ball. I know theres more involved than heading the ball but he's a different option to at least have on the bench. Brings a physical presence that we dont currently have.

He had a couple of poor seasons alright but he was instrumental in the run to the CL final.

Dont all attack me at once please...:o

yahoo_moe wrote: »

Liverpool last year missed Gerrard a couple of times in the second half of the season and had Torres out for a while. United were also missing Ronaldo for the first two months of the season, plus had a lot of different defenders picking up small knocks during that big clean sheet run. Chelsea had Joe Cole out for ages, Drogba, Carvalho and Essien likewise. Everton and Villa had very small squads and missed Arteta, Cahill, Laursen, Carew for chunks of last year.

We're not the only team who gets injuries, and no team will ever go an entire season without injuries.

+1

yahoo_moe wrote: »

+1

Really???

From here is a list of the amount of injuries (not duration of them) the big 4 had last season.

Liverpool 31
    Chelsea 46
    United 58
    Arsenal 74

Really???

From here is a list of the amount of injuries (not duration of them) the big 4 had last season.

Liverpool 31
    Chelsea 46
    United 58
    Arsenal 74

Where are you getting those figures from Jason? I only counted:

Liverpool 14
    Chelsea 14
    United 27
    Arsenal 31

It still proves your point that we got more injuries last season but only 3 more than Utd and they won the league fairly handy in the end.

(there's nothing wrong with my maths btw, I know 27 from 31 is 4 but I'm not counting Adebayor's made up injury at the end of the season) lol

Mick.

Where are you getting those figures from Jason? I only counted:

Liverpool 14
    Chelsea 14
    United 27
    Arsenal 31

It still proves your point that we got more injuries last season but only 3 more than Utd and they won the league fairly handy in the end.

(there's nothing wrong with my maths btw, I know 27 from 31 is 4 but I'm not counting Adebayor's made up injury at the end of the season) lol

Mick.

Completely different to what I was looking at, too tired to recheck right now, but I don't think I made a mistake!

• Advertisement

Completely different to what I was looking at, too tired to recheck right now, but I don't think I made a mistake!

You're right dude, I was looking at it completely wrong. I'm such a dumbass!!! I was only counting the 2009 injuries but of course the league started on Aug 16th and that would be 2008, Duh!

(btw, thats a very useful little site)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

I just read there that the incident that caused Nasri's injury involved none other than Abou Diaby. Seemingly, Nasri went to block a shot and came out the worst :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

fookin hell. All this talk of Arsenal players getting injured more than other clubs is ridiculous. Injuries are part of any team. If your squad is good enough, they should be able to deal with it. IF they cant deal with it, you should be giving out about the lack of depth in the squad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Arsenal really need to sign (atleast) one centre back, one central midfeilder and another striker, so say the Cb costs 10 million, the midfeilder 15 and the striker 15 thats 40 million, you got 25 for Ade, which means coughing up 15 of the boards dosh.

Very do able.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Arsenal really need to sign (atleast) one centre back, one central midfeilder and another striker, so say the Cb costs 10 million, the midfeilder 15 and the striker 15 thats 40 million, you got 25 for Ade, which means coughing up 15 of the boards dosh.

Very do able.

Or we could just sell Eboue for 40 mil :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Seaneh wrote: »

Very do able.

They already signed a cb for £10m, so I can't see them buying another one. Especially if they're unable to offload Senderos.

Any striker signed will be for under £10m, they have enough players who can play up front.

The centre mid is the most important one, but there doesn't seem to be many options out there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

We don't need another CB or ST.
    Midfield is our only worry, especially since we are down another now with Nasri.

Midfield is our only worry, especially since we are down another now with Nasri.

+1

yea we really need another solid midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Fair enough regards another defender i think Wenger is pretty happy with what he will have at his disposal this season. A DM is needed but as people have been saying it looks like theres not too many options out there unfortunately.

But i cant understand why you wouldnt want another striker to be brought into the squad :confused:

The more options the better imo, maybe its just me being over negative but i just find it hard to understand how you can think the likes of Eduardo and RVP can stay fully fit throughout the season.

You mentioned previously that Wenger feels Bendtner will step up his game this season more, again fair enough but for me hes simply considered a good squad player and afaic i wouldnt want him starting week in week out if the likes of RVP was to get injured.

Walcott might have been deployed more in a strikers role this season, but with our latest set back regards Nasri I think again we will see him needed to play from the wing when called upon.

The talk about Vela of late again makes me feel that ive missed something!!?? Theres no doubt hes a classy player but to hear that he will be world class within two seasons of playing fultime is crazy.

Basically what im saying is if we have the money to spend why not bring in a replacement for Adebayor. We all know Wenger is never going to go out and get a proven 30 goal a season striker obviously due to price tags wages etc but just another striker for around the ten million mark to add to the squad.

Strength and depth in the squad is a most for us who as a club desperately need to win something and fast!

One a final note aswell because its just getting annoying at this stage, lads seriously Eboue is a decent squad player to have. Im not saying im his biggest fan and gave him plenty of stick last season but for cover on the right wing and right back positions im happy enough with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Agreed. v.Persie, Arshavin, Eduardo, Walcott, Bedntner is enough up front. Obviously you're hoping they stay fit but adding another striker with them all fit would see 3 of them having to sit on the bench.

I think Wenger is hoping to have Vermaelen as first choice this season as I think he's started both pre-seasons with different partners now. All depends on how well that goes.

Midfield obviously needs a combative beast and if they can get the right one they're a match for all teams in the league imo. Fabregas is the best playmaker in the league I'd say while Arshavin and v.Persie are up there in the top 5-10 attackers.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Fabregas is the best playmaker in the league I'd say while Arshavin and v.Persie are up there in the top 5-10 attackers.

Agreed.
    Although i think you can put Eduardo in there too, it's just he hasn't enough of a run to prove it.

Hopefully we will see him get that run, i think the sale of Ade is good for him. He will get a great chance at it this season hopefully

thorbarry wrote: »
    fookin hell. All this talk of Arsenal players getting injured more than other clubs is ridiculous.

It's not really.
    Injuries are part of any team. If your squad is good enough, they should be able to deal with it.

It isn't. They can't.
    IF they cant deal with it, you should be giving out about the lack of depth in the squad

I do.

It's not really.

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Sorry to jump in - and perhaps it was already covered - the talk of Toure going to City - how do arsenal fans feel about that? I think Arsenal would be mad to sell him without further cover... but I'd be happy to have him at city.

source

Of course it likely is tabloid billox, but interested in Arsenal fans opinions on the implications if it was true.

• Advertisement

anyway, what i meant by the post was that, I am sick of people saying we didnt win anything because certain players got injured. We didnt win anything because of our lack of strength and depth in the squad

Sorry to jump in - and perhaps it was already covered - the talk of Toure going to City - how do arsenal fans feel about that? I think Arsenal would be mad to sell him without further cover... but I'd be happy to have him at city.

source

Of course it likely is tabloid billox, but interested in Arsenal fans opinions on the implications if it was true.
    I thnk we shouldn't let him go without good cover, but with that said
    I think senderos can step up to the plate, He's goo in the air not afraid to put in a challenge. We also have djourou so if we were to get a good price and we were to use the money to re-invest in the squad I wouldn't mind so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Can't wait for the Hannover game tonite. Gonna be A1. Should get a strong test from the Germans. In a way that worries me regarding injuries. :(

I wouldn't want to let him go. He has been a good player for us over the years, last season wasn't his best, but he's 28. Usually this is the time in a defenders career when they usually shine

DenMan wrote: »
    Can't wait for the Hannover game tonite. Gonna be A1. Should get a strong test from the Germans. In a way that worries me regarding injuries. :(

thats not till next Wednesday mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

:D

Getting ahead of myself. Cheers thor.

I thnk we shouldn't let him go without good cover, but with that said
    I think senderos can step up to the plate, He's goo in the air not afraid to put in a challenge. We also have djourou so if we were to get a good price and we were to use the money to re-invest in the squad I wouldn't mind so much.

Regards senderos i would completly disagree hes not good enough, he seemed to play better in European games when the style of play was different and easier from him to read the play and position himself better but hes just not cut out to be a premier league defender for Arsenal imo!

Anyway this kind of talk doesnt look like he will be staying put for next season.

We need to keep Toure at the club, we already have one new defender that needs to gel into the teams style of play we dont need to have to do this with another one when Toure is defiantely good enough to play for us.

I don't think Wenger would let Toure go to any club right now.
    Things look rosie now but if any more injuries creep in it will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Letting Toure go would be a bad idea. If, as it seems, Senderos leaves before the new season, we need a new centre back. The ANC in January will rob us of Toure and Song, leaving us a bit exposed.

• Advertisement

A bit of positive news regards Nasri, hopefully this is the case.

Arsène Wenger is hopeful that Samir Nasri’s fibula could heal in six weeks after discovering the fracture is a “simple one”.

The 22-year-old, who impressed in his first season at Emirates Stadium, suffered the injury on the first day of Arsenal’s pre-season training camp.

Speaking to Arsenal TV Online after Tuesday’s tour victory over SC Columbia, Wenger admitted that Nasri’s injury is a blow to his 2009/10 preparations. But the manager is buoyed by the return to full fitness of two other forward-thinking Gunners.

“Unfortunately he fractured his fibula and he will be out for six weeks,” the manager said. “It was the bad news of the day.

“He accidentally nicked the ball away from somebody having a shot on goal. Unfortunately he got kicked and broke his fibula. It's not a complicated one, it's a simple one but it will take six weeks to heal.

“But the options are Tomas Rosicky who is back. And in [those] two months Eduardo will be back as well. We do have offensive options but we don’t want to lose important players before the season starts.”

from arsenal.com

So Eduardo is out for 2 months?

Care to elaborate?

I already have!
    Really???

Liverpool 31
    Chelsea 46
    United 58
    Arsenal 74
    anyway, what i meant by the post was that, I am sick of people saying we didnt win anything because certain players got injured. We didnt win anything because of our lack of strength and depth in the squad

I would prefer if people didn't rely on that as an excuse, the simple fact of the matter is that we have been getting these injuries consistently over the last few years and our squad isn't strong/big enough to cope with that level of injuries!

I would prefer if people didn't rely on that as an excuse, the simple fact of the matter is that we have been getting these injuries consistently over the last few years and our squad isn't strong/big enough to cope with that level of injuries!

thats the problem exactly, if we had a better/bigger squad it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is with the squad, not the injuries.... like we sort of agree, but have a slightly different opinion :D

So Eduardo is out for 2 months?

Looks like it.
    I hope he's not going to suffer these niggles all season.

Looks like it.
    I hope he's not going to suffer these niggles all season.

bad news indeed. Yea i hope he gets a good run after he comes back... anybody know what the injury is? I assumed he was fine after i seen pics of him in full training, so i take it its a new injury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

bad news indeed. Yea i hope he gets a good run after he comes back... anybody know what the injury is? I assumed he was fine after i seen pics of him in full training, so i take it its a new injury?
    If he can't survive pre-season training injury free, we're not likely to get too many full seasons out of him. at this rate we might as well have grabbed onto Michael Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I must be reading the article different to the rest of you, to me it says that Eduardo will be back in the two months that Nasri will be out for??? It just reads weird in Wengers slightly broken english.

Yes obviously Eduardo isnt out for two months!

I think we might have heard about it some how if he was.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

I must be reading the article different to the rest of you, to me it says that Eduardo will be back in the two months that Nasri will be out for??? It just reads weird in Wengers slightly broken english.

lets hope that's the case as I can't find any info on Eduardo being out for 2 months :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

the amount of injuries (not duration of them) the big 4 had last season.

Liverpool 31
    Chelsea 46
    United 58
    Arsenal 74
    But I'm talking about the effect of injuries - ie key players out for stretches of time. And I don't think we suffer any more than any other club in that way - we just don't deal with as well. Plus, just as examples, Physio Room lists Djourou getting injured twice in two days over the Christmas period and Clichy getting injured twice on the same day in April so the numbers don't tell the whole story.
    jasonorr wrote:
    It isn't.
    You're seriously saying injuries aren't a part of any competitive sports team?!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement