Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Eduardo :D.

Is He Calling Mannonne "Fabianski" Or Am I Just Hearing Things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Is He Calling Mannonne "Fabianski" Or Am I Just Hearing Things?

lol that's what I thought as the goalie in nets at the moment looks nothing like Fabianski. I dont think the comentator actually has a clue, I thought Andy Grey was bad ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Ah ok so he's right about the Polish part at least I guess ;)

• Advertisement

He is calling him Fabianski I fcuking knew it :D.

newbie2 wrote: »
    Thats what i meant to say ;) :pac:

was a pretty poor match, just defending for our lives the last 20 odd minutes heh, ah well. Ok I knew it wasn't Fabianski and in my defence watching it on a tiny screen makes it hard to tell the difference between Mannone and Szczesny :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Just on this - arseblogger made a decent point today that the purchase of Arshavin was probably budgeted for based on Ade leaving this summer, so we were essentially £15m down at the start of the summer. And given that we're probably always looking to turn a slight profit these days, we're not exactly sitting on a pile of money and refusing to spend it.

I read that but its not something I agree with, Arseblogger really doesn't now which way is up this year anyway. Even if the Vermaelen and Arshavin deals are taken into accound there should still be either £16m from the Toure deal or £25m if Eboue goes too available. Plus we didn't spend anything we didn't make in transfers last summer and we've received a few quid from sell on clauses in the last year too. There should have been plenty there to fund the Arshavin sale. Not to mention we've just offloaded 2 of the highest wage earners at the club.

There really is absolutely no reason for us not to be buying a player or 2 this summer. Obviously we can't spend huge sums like United, City, Chelsea, etc and we don't want to spend money we don't have like Liverpool but we should be able to spend a reasonable (key word) amount. Especially since we're losing key players.

Back to tonight. Excellent first half, shocking second. As always with preseason it doesn't mean much but at least the first half was enjoyable to watch and cheered me up a bit about the sorry state we are in. Also I like this new formation we're playing, seems more 4-3-3 than the 4-2-3-1 we played last season. Makes more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Highlights from tonights game.

Was this Eboue saying goodbye at the end?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3071135/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Cheers for the highlights northbank! well worked goal and always nice to win.

But its impossible not to be disappointed today, losing Toure really is bad news for us. These transfer windows really do disappoint as an Arsenal fan especially when i had the feeling that this summer the squad would be kept together (as in no first teamers leaving).

I had the same belief as Wenger at the end of last season that Arsenal had a squad that was very close to becoming serious title contenders with 1/2 defensive additions.

To state the obvious losing experience in the squad cant do it any good and il be really finding it difficult to get excited about any player(s) that we might sign. I just cant see it being the type of player that will have us excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

So does anyone think their is any truth in the Vieira resiging rumour on a pay as you play basis?

Vieira wheres this been talked about?

Afaic no not a hope in hell! Why would we want Vieira back at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That'd be an awful, but typical solution to the defensive midfielder problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

itsjaybud wrote: »
    Vieira wheres this been talked about?

Afaic no not a hope in hell! Why would we want Vieira back at this stage?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/07/30/patrick-vieira-going-back-to-arsenal-says-ian-wright-115875-21557182/

No hope. typical red top rag read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

very slow news day so far... nothing since the sale of Kolo... some rumers about paddy returning, I'm sure we'll be linked to make a sensational hijack of the martins transfer.. and be linked to yourman from Fulham again.... *sigh.. i hate pre season :(

Viera would be a great signing, a lot of experience.

Viera would be a great signing, a lot of experience.

Sure would be, we may as well sign Marc Overmars from the Go Ahead Eagles while we're at it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Vieira is a legend. He left towards the top of his game. Lets remember him like that (...jaysus, it sounds as if the chap is dead..). If he were to come back, he could not possibly be near the level of fitness or standard needed to compete at the highest level. He has been left out by Inter for a reason imo.

• Advertisement

Henry on his way aswel :D gonna be a great season :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Henry on his way aswel :D gonna be a great season :rolleyes:

Bring back Perry Groves ....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Evil_Clown wrote: »

Is Denis Compton still around?

from the guardian site
    MADRID, July 30 (Reuters) - Barcelona midfielder Aleksandr Hleb has agreed a one-year loan move to former club VfB Stuttgart, the European champions said on their website (www.fcbarcelona.cat) on Thursday.
    The Belarus international had originally been included in the swap deal that took Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Barca from Inter Milan with Samuel Eto'o going in the opposite direction on Monday.
    However, Spanish media reported the player preferred a return to the Bundesliga rather than a move to Serie A.
    The 28-year-old struggled to break into Pep Guardiola's treble-winning side last season and had been left out of the squad for their tour of the United States, which started on Wednesday.
    Hleb joined Barca from Arsenal on a four-year contract for around 18 million euros last year. He played five seasons with Stuttgart before his switch to the Premier League in 2005. (Writing by Mark Elkington; Editing by John O'Brien; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

I suppose its not really Arsenal news per say, but still. Its pretty interesting, Henry seems to be doing very well now at Barca, apart from him, its hard to think of any player who Wenger let go that actually succeeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Evil_Clown wrote: »

Gus Caesar! And Nelson Vivas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PDN wrote: »
    Gus Caesar! And Nelson Vivas!

No way, Francis Jeffers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Gulp. From Sky Sports:

12.07 Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed he will not definitely enter the transfer market to replace Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor.

Ah Fcuk :( if we don't make anymore signings there will be no chance of silverware, the current crop certainly isn't good enough, we'll be lucky to even get 4th.

Gulp. From Sky Sports:

12.07 Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed he will not definitely enter the transfer market to replace Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor.

No surprises there!
    Wenger wrote:
    We have seven centre-backs and I am in a position where we have to play some in midfield.

And as for Adebayor, there are a lot of strikers there, he'll prolly give Bendtner more of a shot before he signs someone else!
    Ah Fcuk :( if we don't make anymore signings there will be no chance of silverware, the current crop certainly isn't good enough, we'll be lucky to even get 4th.

I can't see how you'd expect any anyway!

• Advertisement

How can he think the current defence is good enough?... Everyone has been going on about that's where we need to strengthen! I mean Toure out and who's gonna step up...Senderos? we're back to having 2 starting CB's a ton of not so good back ups. I hope he's just saying that and is currently trying to strike up a few deals quitely ;) so that Man City dont steal the player or something.

Of course he's gonna say the current crop is good enough, you think he's say they are crap? and "not buying" and "not panic buying" are two very different things. Relax, this is typical news paper/ website hype

Just gets better and better...

LONDON (AP) -Arsenal midfielder Tomas Rosicky has picked up a minor injury problem since making his comeback earlier this month after nearly 18 months out.

The Czech Republic international has not played in Arsenal's last three preseason matches, including a 1-0 victory Wednesday night against Hannover 96 in Germany.

Arsenal said Thursday that Rosicky picked up a "minor problem'' in the Barnet friendly on July 18.

That was his comeback after hamstring and knee injuries ruled him out since January 2008.

It was not immediately clear if Rosicky would be available for the Emirates Cup preseason tournament this weekend.

If the most recent problem turns out to be worse than expected, it would be a major blow to manager Arsene Wenger's plans.

The Frenchman had highlighted the 28-year-old Rosicky as a key attacking option after striker Emmanuel Adebayor's joined Manchester City and Samir Nasri was ruled out last week for up to three months

Ah this is gonna be great.

Hopefully Rosicky just has a minor strain unrelated his recent injuries that kept him out for the last year or two. Really looking forward to seeing him back in action. C'mon L'il Mozart.

Fair play to Kolo.

He's in his press conference announcing him as a Man City player. The reporter kept prodding and asking him about Arsenal, basically trying to get him to say Arsenal are shíte and that he left because they'l never win anything. He was having none of it, said one or two complementary things about the club and then said he didn't want to talk about Arsenal anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Souless wrote: »
    How can he think the current defence is good enough?... we're back to having 2 starting CB's
    Because he's obviously bought Vermaelen to be starting a lot, with no settle-in season (too right as well, 10m quid, 23 years old and almost 100 games for Ajax - he should be ready to start).

So we've got 3 starting centre-halves - Vermaelen, Djourou and Gallas, with Silvestre, Senderos (for now) and Song as cover. So CB isn't a massive problem if our first 3 stay fit enough (basically if neither of the others are injured when Djourou picks up one of his 2-week niggles).

If we were to sign one more player, I'd like a centre-mid but I'm not sure that player is out there and available right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Because he's obviously bought Vermaelen to be starting a lot, with no settle-in season (too right as well, 10m quid, 23 years old and almost 100 games for Ajax - he should be ready to start).

So we've got 3 starting centre-halves - Vermaelen, Djourou and Gallas, with Silvestre, Senderos (for now) and Song as cover. So CB isn't a massive problem if our first 3 stay fit enough (basically if neither of the others are injured when Djourou picks up one of his 2-week niggles).

If we were to sign one more player, I'd like a centre-mid but I'm not sure that player is out there and available right now.

Of course there is...Patrick Vieira, and it's looking increasingly likely that Patrick will be back.

DenMan wrote: »
    Of course there is...Patrick Vieira, and it's looking increasingly likely that Patrick will be back.

Don't want him back to be honest if it means that he's all we're getting!

I just listened to the Kolo Toure interview on mcfc.co.uk and it would seem to me that this transfer was decided upon in principle in January. Toure is asked why he didn't join in January, and replies to basically say that it was not the right time. I now believe that when he handed in his transfer request in December, he was obviously promised that he could go at the end of the season if he kept stum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Actually got to see the match last night.
    Was kinda sick so didn't head out. And how delighted was I to find that the hostel were showing the Arsenal match at 12 :D

Traore, Song and Bendtner all played very well I thought.

As for the end, it certainly does look like Eboue is on his way out. Which is bad news as it means we now have to sign another back up RB as the only two who could really play there were Eboue and Toure if Sagna got injured.

Also:

8.21 Gary Megson concedes Bolton Wanderers do not have the resources to make a renewed bid to sign Sporting Lisbon ace Miguel Veloso.

DO IT ARSENE!!!

• Advertisement

NO TRANSFER PANIC FOR WENGER

Arsene Wenger claims his Arsenal squad are "strong enough" without any more new signings but he insists there is cash available for transfers.

The Gunners, linked on Thursday with a move for their former skipper Patrick Vieira on a pay-as-you-play basis, have made just one signing, defender Thomas Vermaelen from Ajax, but have sold both Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor to Manchester City.

Arsenal are £30million up on the deals but Wenger is in no rush to spend.

He told the club's official website: "I feel we are strong enough but if we can add then we will do it.

"In England people think that all the problems can be sorted out by buying players.

"I believe the biggest target is to work hard in training, improve what we can improve and have confidence in the players that we have.

"If we need to add then we will. We have money available so for us it is now [important] to spend it in the right way when we do it or if we do it."

Arsenal have refused to comments on the reports about Vieira, who is keen to leave Inter Milan.

But former Gunners striker Ian Wright said on his TalkSport radio show: "I'm hearing Vieira, pay-as-you-play, back at Arsenal. That's what I'm hearing, and that's what I'm hoping."

Strong enough for what exactly?? The Carling Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

All this buzz about Patrick Vieira coming back concerns me. Step in the wrong direction IMO.

DenMan wrote: »

Where do you read this like? I would be completly and utterly shocked if we have Vieira in the squad next season, would you not be? Once again why would we want Vieira back at this stage?

Do you think he has enough to offer or something? Im of the opinion anyway that he has played his best years for Arsenal and would have very little to offer the club at this point in terms of being able to compete in such an important position at the level we require.

An Arsenal legend no doubt but lets just leave it at that!

On the Toure interview ya i had no real doubts about his personality and knew he wouldnt be dragged into any sh!t talk about Arsenal, imo he was a great defender for us and he knows how much Wenger done for his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just a comment Ian Wright made very recently. We need strength in the middle and Patrick will definitely give that to us, as he did in the past.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/07/30/1411900/patrick-vieira-back-at-arsenal-ian-wright

Ya no doubt we need strength in the middle, but look we just wouldnt see the Vieira of old, hes 33 he just wont have the fitness at this stage in his career to mix it with the best of the premiership imo of course!

Ya no doubt we need strength in the middle, but look we just wouldnt see the Vieira of old, hes 33 he just wont have the fitness at this stage in his career to mix it with the best of the premiership imo of course!

+1 Paddy was great, but he can be no where near as good as we need him to be, he has struggled since he left arsenal, and i really doubt he could come back and succeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ya no doubt we need strength in the middle, but look we just wouldnt see the Vieira of old
    He's not the Vieira of old but he's a very good holding midfielder and will give Arsenal a lot of what they lack. I think he'd add so much to the current Arsenal team.

I've sort of come round to the Vieira idea, even though it's most likely bullshít. As Arseblogger said, if it's a choice between Vieira and nobody, then I'll take Vieira.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    He's not the Vieira of old but he's a very good holding midfielder and will give Arsenal a lot of what they lack. I think he'd add so much to the current Arsenal team.

I hate to mention Flamini but hes the type of player needed alongside cesc, he played as the holding mid fielder but yet often covered the pitch from box to box. Wenger is never going to have a DM purely just to sit in front of the back four unless formation changes.

Its these energy levels that we need to have in mid field imo and im pretty sure Vieira cant offer the team that sort of energy anymore.

I've sort of come round to the Vieira idea, even though it's most likely bullshít. As Arseblogger said, if it's a choice between Vieira and nobody, then I'll take Vieira.

I personally would just settle with having Song and Denilson if it was true that Vieira is being considered.

Looks like Rosicky has said on his offical website that he is fit and ready to play at the Emirates cup this Saturday, and the boss said that himself and clichy will play :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement