Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

1122123124125126128»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Strange!!!

800x450_AwayKit_2.ashx?as=0&dmc=0&h=450&thn=0&w=800

Doesn't look right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Very nice kit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I really can't believe City have bought two of your best & most senior players.

Wenger is gonna be rightly in serious **** if City get top 4 this year at Arsenals expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

firstly just want to introduce myself as a first time poster.
    im a long time arsenal fan and have been lurking for a while before finally getting my 50 posts :)

while i am disappointed to see the back of kolo i dont find it as disastrous as some people. i agree with yahoo_moe that in vermaelen, gallas and djourou (seeing as senderos might not be around much longer) that we are not in bad shape for CBs.
    but, while i have never been a fan of his, if eboue goes then we do need a replacement RB. i saw the first-half of the hannover match and was quite impressed with traore though. anyone think it is anyway viable to use him as RB cover (as we already have pretty decent LB cover with gibbs)??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

thinking of getting arsenal online for the new season. Anyone got it? Is it worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

RedivideR wrote: »
    firstly just want to introduce myself as a first time poster.
    im a long time arsenal fan and have been lurking for a while before finally getting my 50 posts :)

while i am disappointed to see the back of kolo i dont find it as disastrous as some people. i agree with yahoo_moe that in vermaelen, gallas and djourou (seeing as senderos might not be around much longer) that we are not in bad shape for CBs.
    but, while i have never been a fan of his, if eboue goes then we do need a replacement RB. i saw the first-half of the hannover match and was quite impressed with traore though. anyone think it is anyway viable to use him as RB cover (as we already have pretty decent LB cover with gibbs)??

Welcome :D, Traore, yea ive been a fan of his since seeing him in the carling cup a couple seasons ago, he's very quick and seems a good crosser of the ball. I would be very happy if we transformed him into a RB, would be great for us and him. I think Wenger has a tough choice choosing between himself and Gibbs for the second choice LB, and more than likely first choice carling cup starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I really can't believe City have bought two of your best & most senior players.

Wenger is gonna be rightly in serious **** if City get top 4 this year at Arsenals expense.

I agree. Are ye Arsenal fans not bricking it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

JPA wrote: »
    I agree. Are ye Arsenal fans not bricking it?

Laughing more like. Rid of a guy who wanted out for quite a while and a semi decent centreback who wasn't first choice last season for long periods, all for 40 million. :eek:

I think most Arsenal fans are happy with that to be honest, I know I would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

flahavaj wrote: »
    Laughing more like. Rid of a guy who wanted out for quite a while and a semi decent centreback who wasn't first choice last season for long periods, all for 40 million. :eek:

I think most Arsenal fans are happy with that to be honest, I know I would be.

They've got the money but Arsene has given no indication that he will spend it.

• Advertisement

He never does, and then BAM! A 16 year old from the French second division. In Arsene we trust.

ha ha...he never does... he believes if he talks about a player he wants, the valuation of that player will rise by 3/4 million. He does all his transfer dealings behind closed doors... not like man city/ barca/ milan/ real madrid.. who make it well known who they want, ludicrous really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

I think it could be a long hard season for us gunners, the main reason, apart from them wanting to double their wage was the fantastic price City offered, it had to be accepted.

However, its more experienced players leaving and it did show last year we do need some grit and determination(qoute - Alan Hansen) in the middle of the park.

Wenger does believe in his youth policy, but over the last few years has been to the cost of success.

He defo needs an angry centre midfielder, a centre forward and probably a top class keeper.

We'll see how it goes, but I would imagine more a repetition of the previous season, tho maybe not so far in the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

shano_88 wrote: »
    thinking of getting arsenal online for the new season. Anyone got it? Is it worth it?

I had it for preseason last year and it's pretty good for the highlights of matches(you can watch them all the way back through the past few years), and the preseason games. Not really worth getting it for the whole year though i reckon.

On whoever mentioned Traore on the right, he's all left foot so doubt it'd work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Sky Bet have bravely come up with a number of 'Transfer Special' markets, which change every day and are a lot of fun.

After Thursday's shift on the channel and a few interviews with journalists in Madrid, I sense Klaas-Jan Huntelaar to Arsenal is a definite runner at 11/4.

Taken from http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,15197_5462038,00.html

What do you guys think? 11/4 Worth a bet? Or pure Bullsh1t?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Guardian reporting that we're gonna get Blaise Matuidi for 8 million. Along with Vieira too.

By all accounts Matuidi is a very energetic Flaminiesque player which sounds good to me, even if he is another short arse. Also I wouldn't mind Vieira as long as he isn't the only signing in midfield.

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »

I had it before.

Is it worth it? ...not really to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

jasonorr wrote: »
    I had it before.

Is it worth it? ...not really to be honest!

think il get it for a month and see. Its not gona break the bank!

Although viera isnt half the player he used to be id still love to see him back. He could have a huge influence in the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

This is definately my favourite Arsenal transfer rumour of the summer:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/wenger-to-spend-big-on-de-rossi-1765257.html

It is from the independant so I have decided it's true and will celebrate this weekend :p

Evil_Clown wrote: »

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/wenger-to-spend-big-on-de-rossi-1765257.html

It is from the independant so I have decided it's true and will celebrate this weekend :p

ooo De Rossi, imagine. That would be great, I havent seen to much of him, but from what i hear he's very good..... Looks to be another rumer tho, no sources really. Pretty lazy story imo, with no realy truth to it i'd think
    There were further complications in Tomas Rosicky's recovery from injury when it was announced by Arsenal yesterday that the midfielder had picked up another problem in the friendly against Barnet on 18 July.

Considering Rosicky came out and said that he will play this weekend, this again, lazy writing, pulls you in with the headline then talks a load of bollox :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

30 million? I cant see Wenger suddenly more than doubling the club's transfer record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

That would be one hell of a signing :D But it's very unlikely can't see Wenger spending 30 million on a player but lets hope I'm wrong ;)

As for Vierra he may not be half the player he was when he was last with Arsenal but he would bring a bit of experience to the team which I think is much needed. I'd like to see him come back as long as he isn't the only signing in midfield :)

This sounds far more likely to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

jasonorr wrote: »
    This sounds far more likely to be honest!

Yeah it really does infairness to you but one can dream of De Rossi ;) Don't really know anything about Blaise but just looking up his stats via Wiki it seems he's got quite a lot of youth caps for France which is always a plus since he's only 22 Kinda on the short side again though at 5'9 ah well he's a DM :D

Souless wrote: »
    Yeah it really does infairness to you but one can dream of De Rossi ;) Don't really know anything about Blaise but just looking up his stats via Wiki it seems he's got quite a lot of youth caps for France which is always a plus since he's only 22 Kinda on the short side again though at 5'9 ah well he's a DM :D

Flamini is only 5'10" and it didn't matter too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

The Vieira rumours just doesn't seem right to me. It flies in the face of everything Wenger has ever done - signing a player over 30 (even if it is pay-for-play), bringing back a player who's generally considered to have had his best years at Arsenal and has failed to match them since, and adding an ageing player to a squad where he'll presumably be ahead of Song/Denilson in the pecking order, thereby completely undermining their confidence and meaning that the 30+ games they each played last season were a complete waste.

I just don't see it - and I hope I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    The Vieira rumours just doesn't seem right to me. It flies in the face of everything Wenger has ever done - signing a player over 30 (even if it is pay-for-play), bringing back a player who's generally considered to have had his best years at Arsenal and has failed to match them since, and adding an ageing player to a squad where he'll presumably be ahead of Song/Denilson in the pecking order, thereby completely undermining their confidence and meaning that the 30+ games they each played last season were a complete waste.

+1 sums it up perfectly imo!

Also sky sports going with "Wenger makes Chamakh call"

Link

Before Toure left i was all for replacing Adebayor but now tbh if it means Wenger is going to just replace Ade i would prefer the money to be spent on a central defender instead. I feel more comfortable with our attacking options than our defensive ones atm.

Also RIP Sir Bobby, always liked to listen to him after matches and stuff, a great figure in the game and will be sadly missed.

Supurbly put! I agree 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Supurbly put! I agree 100%.

I'd agree to an extent however pay-as-you-play signings are unchartered territory for Wenger (and most EPL managers). It gives scope to experiment with a player and release them if it's not working out with very little fuss. Seems to

Also Wenger had stuck to his principles on bringing players back for some time now however it has yeilded few throphys of late. Fans are crying out of experience and this could be one concession he may have to make.

Saying that I don't think Paddy is the right man for the job, he'd struggle. I'd sooner see Flamini or even Gilberto return instead. Actually whats Edu up to??? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Viera isn't going to happen, and I can't see us spending 30 million on de Rossi - even though he would be a great signing, 30 million is way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Wreck wrote: »
    Viera isn't going to happen, and I can't see us spending 30 million on de Rossi - even though he would be a great signing, 30 million is way overpriced.

30 million is what Roma want but not what they will get (St Petersburg wanted around £20 mil for Arshavin at the start) so maybe the price can be got down cos Roma are in trouble financially.
    Clutching at straws I know but i'm doin everthing possible to keep this one alive in my head :pac:

Empty that wallet Wenger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

whats the story on Rosicky? will he be back for the start? also eduardo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yes on both. Well I'd wait until after the Emirates cup before declaring either of them fit for the start of the season, particularly Rosicky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

cool. just trying to sort out who I want in fantasy football :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

evad_lhorg wrote: »

Eboue and Silvestre IMO ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Sad to see the last of our undefeated 2004 team leave. It was our best team ever.

I admire Wenger's policy of not buying big and focusing on youth. However, not being able to hold onto key players undermines this policy.

Sad to see the last of our undefeated 2004 team leave. It was our best team ever.

I admire Wenger's policy of not buying big and focusing on youth. However, not being able to hold onto key players undermines this policy.

Clichy got a winners medal that year too! Fabregas was at the club, but wasn't really involved.

evad_lhorg wrote: »

No way should you put Rosicky anywhere near your team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

pay-as-you-play signings are unchartered territory for Wenger (and most EPL managers). It gives scope to experiment with a player and release them if it's not working out with very little fuss.
    Not in a World Cup year - Vieira will want regular football, I'd imagine. So I'd rather not go near it personally. Although hopefully that means Vieira wouldn't go for it if it was offered either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I dunno... replace "Vieira" with "Silvestre", and you have last year's most surprising signing. It doesn't seem quite so unlikely to me.

Clearly, last season's best signing was Arshavin - a player in his prime, who has both talent and experience. Wenger needs to repeat this trick if he wants to be handling any trophies at the end of next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd love to be wrong but De Rossi is Roma through and through. From what I gather, there's no way he'll ever leave, kind of like Totti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Fiorentina are still keeping up their pursuit of Eboue. We have to drop our valuation of him. It's an awful pity that Melo deal didn't go though.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11854_5463646,00.html

gosplan wrote: »
    I'd love to be wrong but De Rossi is Roma through and through. From what I gather, there's no way he'll ever leave, kind of like Totti.

Just incase anyone didn't see what appeared on Arsenal.com the other morning where De Rossi was given the #13 squad number:

DiRossi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Interesting, didnt something similar happen with Arshavin a day or two before he signed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just incase anyone didn't see what appeared on Arsenal.com the other morning where De Rossi was given the #13 squad number:

That was just someone with photoshop. Creative though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

gosplan wrote: »
    That was just someone with photoshop. Creative though.

They hacked into Arsenal.com?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

DenMan wrote: »

Not Bad ;) still hope we bring someone else + Viera for midfield though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement