Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I can see home wins against Fenerbahce and Kiev without too many problems. At win against Porto at home too shouldn't really be too difficult. After that 1 draw away from home and they're through.

A slip up at home may mean an away win is needed. Could be tough if that is the case.

Some guy on Sky Sports News saying Arsenal are closing in on the signing of St. Etienne midfielder Blaise Matuidi.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anyone see the interview with Danny Fiszman after the champions league draw and what he had to say about transfers?

Same old crap. Money is there if Arsene wants to spend it. That's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I don't think you fully understood my post. Meh, anyway, a new cm signing is crucial if we're gonna pick up any silverware. Was watching the invincible season a while ago...me weeps in comparison:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Anybody know where County Lifford is?, I sure as hell don't.

Manuel Almunia v Shay Given

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/saturday-s-key-battles-arsenal-v-newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DenMan wrote: »
    Anybody know where County Lifford is?, I sure as hell don't.

Manuel Almunia v Shay Given

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/saturday-s-key-battles-arsenal-v-newcastle

lol. who do we complain to? we should start a petition of protest or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Was at the FC Twente match. great result. But if I have to be negative I taught RvP played rubbish again. I mean he missed two absolute sitters. He just can't place the ball. He blasts it every time.
    Was very impressed by Wallcot and Nasro though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

That Champions League draw is exactly why Arsenal need a bigger squad of premiership ready players. We need to be able to rest a few after trips to Kiev and Turkey without losing the entire balance of the team which at the moment we do. At least the trip to Kiev is 1st so that gets out of the way quickly.

• Advertisement

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    That Champions League draw is exactly why Arsenal need a bigger squad of premiership ready players. We need to be able to rest a few after trips to Kiev and Turkey without losing the entire balance of the team which at the moment we do. At least the trip to Kiev is 1st so that gets out of the way quickly.

...or suffer a defeat get the confidence knocked out of us..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

this is the first time in 12 years i have begun to question wenger's methods. i think the team over-performed last year and unless something is done in the next 72 hours, we wont launch anything like a title campaign. that timesonline article that someone just posted i found quite interesting, and can find myself agreeing with the point that is a bit indulgant on wenger's part for relying on his youngsters too much, refusing to stump up the cash for signings. he wants to prove you can win things without spending the obnoxious amounts displayed by chelsea and others. but the simple fact is, the current squad, and thats crucial, the best first 11 can beat anyone on their day, but the squad is not equipped to win the league. our keeper doesnt have the reliability of a reina, our captain is a petulant twat (probably the result of being treated like a prince at chelsea), kolo has looked out of sorts, rosciky and eduardo both crocked, rvp is only minutes away from an injury, and e bay doesnt want to be there. this team is so reliant on cesc, it's ridiculous, even more reliant than liverpool are gerrard and united are ronaldo. i have no idea what arsene is going to pull out of the bag before the deadline, if anything at all. but something needs to be done, that performance on saturday ws abysmal, fulham are as average as it gets in the league and it was simply pitiful. so come on arsene, do the right thing and give cesc the foil he needs to shine, because without re-inforcements can any of you, honestly, see us winning the premiership? we've had nothing to smile about all summer and we deserve something to pick our spirits up before what i hope wont be another trophyless season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

can any of you, honestly, see us winning the premiership?

Yes I can, but there would have to be one condition...a virtually injury free season :rolleyes:, which is very unlikely as we seem no better off noe injury wise than we did at any point last season!

The squad this year, if anything, is weaker than last year which is a pity. We really need a few more squad players and I guess I'd settle for 1 CM as Wenger doesn't seem to want to get the finger out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Been offline for a while but am back now.

Boo to the doubters. BOOOoooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo :mad::mad:

Arsne is a legend - don't forget it!

The man was building a team and his plans were derailed by Flamini, Diarra and Gilberto all leaving.

I think that going into last year Wenger probably expected Flamini and Gilberto not to feature at this point in time(although Flamini got real good before he left).

Diarra is another story and that's who we're looking to replace.

Don't forget that most of Arsenal's dealings are done behind closed doors without the press finding out - unlike some other clubs. We've no idea who Wenger is really in for or how many enquiries have been made.

Also, Wenger can hardly come out and say 'we need a new signing...badly' because nothing is concrete and what kind of message would that send to players like Denilson if we don't manage to capture anyone?

I trust the man with the football club - if we don't get anyone and we end up finishing in fourth with no trophies, the I for one will believe that there was no-one available worth buying and fourth was as good as we could do.

The fact that we need a holding midfielder does not mean we need any holding midfielder.

I mean are people so desparate that they'll think that someone like Inler or Barry is a suitable Arsenal solution for the position our rivals fill with players like Essien and Mascherano?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

He is up to his old tricks again...... hopefully

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4065632,00.html

gosplan wrote: »
    Been offline for a while but am back now.

Boo to the doubters. BOOOoooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo :mad::mad:

Arsne is a legend - don't forget it!

The man was building a team and his plans were derailed by Flamini, Diarra and Gilberto all leaving.

I think that going into last year Wenger probably expected Flamini and Gilberto not to feature at this point in time(although Flamini got real good before he left).

Diarra is another story and that's who we're looking to replace.

Don't forget that most of Arsenal's dealings are done behind closed doors without the press finding out - unlike some other clubs. We've no idea who Wenger is really in for or how many enquiries have been made.

Also, Wenger can hardly come out and say 'we need a new signing...badly' because nothing is concrete and what kind of message would that send to players like Denilson if we don't manage to capture anyone?

I trust the man with the football club - if we don't get anyone and we end up finishing in fourth with no trophies, the I for one will believe that there was no-one available worth buying and fourth was as good as we could do.

The fact that we need a holding midfielder does not mean we need any holding midfielder.

I mean are people so desparate that they'll think that someone like Inler or Barry is a suitable Arsenal solution for the position our rivals fill with players like Essien and Mascherano?

I agree with you, up until the last paragraph.

Barry and Inler are better than Denilson & Diaby. Well Barry anyway, never heard of this Inler guy. Doesn't matter if they're no Essien, they'd still be improving the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hi,

This is my first post on the soccer forums and I am an avid Arsenal fan so came straight here. After reading some peoples opinions on the current squad I though I should just start off by stating my own

1. Manuel ALMUNIA - In reality he isn't good enough to be in a team that should be challenging for the trophies Arsenal should be challenging for.
    2. Abou DIABY - A decent player but is he anywhere near the standard of the sides above and around us (Hargreaves, Carrick, Essien, Lampard, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano)
    3. Bacary SAGNA - Has had a poor start this year but last year was no fluke and his class is evident.
    4. Francesc FABREGAS - Quite simply the best midfielder in the EPL
    5. Kolo TOURE - The damn African nations cup seems to have drained him of all good he had. He used to be my favourite player but he seems to be distracted lately and a hollow shell of the superstar he was.
    6. Philippe SENDEROS - Ac Milan, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This waster should've never been given Adams' number
    7. Tomas ROSICKY - Good player, injured now, but should be back, the question is will he be as good in the current midfield wiyout Hleb, Famini etc
    9. EDUARDO - No one knows how he will return.
    10. William GALLAS - How he got Captaincy is a disgrace. Am easily distracted defender, that is easily manipluated and put off during the course of a game. Definitely not a leader.
    11. Robin VAN PERSIE - Oh to have him fit and form for even two weeks running.
    12. Carlos VELA - looking at him play last year shows he is a good prospect but not quiet at the right level yet.
    14. Theo WALCOTT - Class player and finally starting to show, albeit in patches
    15. DENILSON - Quiet easily the worst player on the field against Fulham and although it might be just a glitch in form younger players don't bounce back as quick as experienced players
    16. Aaron RAMSEY - Looks good but way too untried to be considered a serious contender for this season
    17. Alexandre SONG - Looks a decent player but never shines. is consistent in his performances though. A squad player and no more
    20. Johan DJOUROU - Looks decent but again is he really good enough?
    21. Lukasz FABIANSKI - Looks shoddy at best
    22. Gael CLICHY - Class player, Honest, Down to earth and hardworking, does the simple things right and thats his best trait
    24. Vito MANNONE - 3rd choice and thats where he'll stay I imagine
    25. Emmanuel ADEBAYOR - Not half the player that his goal tally might suggest. He finished about half the chances he could have. the supply that was coming from that midfield was enough to make any half decent striker score as many (if not more) than he did.
    26. Nicklas BENDTNER - A decent looking player but the Championship seems about his level
    27. Emmanuel EBOUE - Where to start. I don't think I need to. after reading a few posts I think we are all singing from the same hymn sheet
    30. Armand TRAORE - Not adequate and only slightly better than his namesake Djimi.

I know this might seem like a bad report on the squad but in reality I think we as fans and Arsenal, being the club that it is, deserves more. Whilst Nasri looks like a good buy that will slot into a position made legendary by his fellow countryman Bobby Pires I still think Wenger needs to Splash some cash and bring in players that are up to that standard.

Sorry if this was a long read

Justin Hoyte's been sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Justin Hoyte's been sold.
    Damnit I thought that was only a season long loan. My bad

• Advertisement

Going to get lots of this over the next 72 hours but just been reading the Evening Standard which has stated that Wenger has refused to rule out a bit for Michael Owen, have to say if he kept fit wouldn't mind him.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Going to get lots of this over the next 72 hours but just been reading the Evening Standard which has stated that Wenger has refused to rule out a bit for Michael Owen, have to say if he kept fit wouldn't mind him.

Rubbish - total rubbish.

We're playing Newcastle on the weekend so Wenger said something along the lines of 'We have to respect Newcastle and players like Owen'. Then the Evening Standard do the rest.

Worst thing is it'll probably be repeated a few places tomorrow.

gosplan wrote: »
    Rubbish - total rubbish.

We're playing Newcastle on the weekend so Wenger said something along the lines of 'We have to respect Newcastle and players like Owen'. Then the Evening Standard do the rest.

Worst thing is it'll probably be repeated a few places tomorrow.

Obviously it is rubbish but makes for an inteesting weekend of gossip and who we will be linked with.

As per usual I expect us to sign a Chelsea player again, Gallas 2006 Diarra 2007 2008? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

OPENROAD wrote: »
    As per usual I expect us to sign a Chelsea player again, Gallas 2006 Diarra 2007 2008? :)

Essien? :p

Wreck wrote: »
    Essien? :p

I can honestly say that if Arsenal could have any player in the world, I'd like Essien. He'd be perfect for us.

Unfortunately, our rivals will only sell us muck players like Silvestre.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Malouda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Fabregas making his 200th Arsenal appearance today and still only 21. Wow!

Anybody heard anything about Van Persie's injury?

With Eduardo out for another 3 months, doesn't look great if Van Persie's got another long term injury. Don't think Adebayor/Bendtner is a great partnership.

Time to push Walcott up front? Could be a good move if Rosicky wasn't also crocked. Although Wenger seems to be intent on playing Eboue on the right wing anyway.

Is it too early to try Vela up there?

Don't think it will be that long before Eduardo is back.

Vela looks ready to play.

Anybody heard anything about Van Persie's injury?

Nothing yet but as most of us know I have a feeling we will never get a full season from RVP which is a great shame I really hope I am wrong.

Nasri has setlled in very welll imo Thought Eboue played well today and Adebayor was more his usual self.

• Advertisement

Typical RvP finally brings the goods to the table.. gets injured :(
    Quality performance today but lets not get too carried away. Newcastle were severely under strength.
    I think Vela could make a great foil for Adebayor if Rvp is out for a bit. The little n' large combo could do us well.
    Also, Nasri has reaped more attacking rewards in his few short games than Hleb did all of last season IMO. Great replacement.

I know the result against Fulham hurt us bad but remember we have only conceded one goal in 5 games. That's pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Trust in Wenger

Arseene quote after the match today: I really think he wanted Alonso.

On potential signings...

"We are trying to buy but the problem is availabliltly, as well as the fact we have to find players better or as good as the ones we have."

van Persie's injury not serious - he's off to join the Dutch squad for the International break. Phew.

So only 2 days left before the window closes, fingers crossed Wenger can sign a midfielder. I'm certain he's trying to sign one, but his main targets haven't materialised. I think Alonso is his #1, but unless Barry moves neither will he, while Inler doesn't seem to want the move. Frustrating. Another CM would make the squad look so much better - we'd be stronger than last season.

van Persie's injury not serious - he's off to join the Dutch squad for the International break. Phew.

More like, Oh No! He typically gets injured playing for Holland.

Hoyte scores OG for 'boro. :pac:

edit: we got Sheffield United in the Carling Cup at home. Should be a good test for the young guns.

Also, youth team beat Wolves 3-1.
    http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3034541/youth/wolverhampton-yth-v-arsenal-yth?tab=report

i think we will purchase tonight. Matuidi from St Etienne prob the most likely now that Inler or Johnson has signed on. Perhaps Xabi Alonso may be surprise signing. A long shot would be the return of 'Big Pat'. Not beyond the realms of possibility, Arsenal could use his experience and perhaps he's at a stage of his career where it would neccessarily hamper anyone elses career. diaby, Song, and Denilson would learn so much from him and would be ready to take the baton from the big man when he hangs his boots up and he knows the club inside out, so i say why not.

Of all, id love Flamster back and thought we should have looked after him better in the summer of 07. Of course thats definately not going to happen.

A long shot would be the return of 'Big Pat'. Not beyond the realms of possibility, Arsenal could use his experience and perhaps he's at a stage of his career where it would neccessarily hamper anyone elses career. diaby, Song, and Denilson would learn so much from him and would be ready to take the baton from the big man when he hangs his boots up and he knows the club inside out, so i say why not.

good idea, except for the fact he's absolute muck now.

good idea, except for the fact he's absolute muck now.

really, to be fair i havent been following his career since he left the Arsenal. hard to believe such a good player could become 'muck' as you put it. Must be the auld 'Arsenal departure' curse.

really, to be fair i havent been following his career since he left the Arsenal. hard to believe such a good player could become 'muck' as you put it. Must be the auld 'Arsenal departure' curse.

well, I guess i haven't seen to much of him since. most of what i would have seen would be from champions league appearances and the world cup. but every indication is that he is long past his best, and would seriously struggle with the pace of the premiership these days. i don't even think he'd be good enough for most premiership teams, let alone be good enough for Arsenal.

Another International weekend ahead :mad:

• Advertisement

Vieira has also missed loads of the last 2 seasons through injury.

It's true. Vieira is less than half the player right now than he was when he left Arsenal. Age and injuries have taken their toll. His has very poor speed, a poor first touch and hi passing has gotten wayward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Ricardo Queresma would be sweet.

Any news on RVP yet, has the xray been done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Ricardo Queresma would be sweet.

If he suddenly turned into a tough tackling no nonsense powerhouse of a central midfielder.

If he suddenly turned into a tough tackling no nonsense powerhouse of a central midfielder.

I take it he doesn't fall into that category? Metzelder would be a terrific signing, should we be able to that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

apparently, according to scolari, arsenal made an enquiry about solaman kalou

apparently, according to scolari, arsenal made an enquiry about solaman kalou

That would be a very strange move..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Wenger was always interested in him, altho as mr antacid said, it would be a very strange move now. I'd ike tiago looks like Juve are mad to get rid of him, altho i heard spuds made a 10m bid.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/aug31r.html

For a team who notoriously do not shoot this stat from the weekend gives me enormous encouragement for the season ahead. Nasri's contribution so far this season is far better than Hleb's previous two seasons. With Rosicky set to come back soon (another player not afraid of shooting), optimistic times are ahead. In Wenger we trust.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_2705370,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Denilson's stats look really good, quite a surprise to me. Imo he played well against Newcastle at the weekend, but has been quite poor otherwise.

Nasri has been brilliant so far, hope he keeps performing to this level. At the moment he looks like a superior player to Hleb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement