Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

OPENROAD wrote: »
    We will see come the end of the season if he has made the right choice or not.

I remember being so optimistic and patient this time last year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I remember being so optimistic and patient this time last year:(

And we were very very unlucky last season, for me the Birmingham match was a turning point,i.e. the penalty that should never have been.

We played Liverpool three times in a very short period and again we had decisions go against us in each of those matches.

Don't get me wrong I am not making excuses, just pointing out how very close we came. Teams need luck and I honestly believe we did not get it last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Harlem Globtrotters and Arsenal tend to be quoted hand in hand these days. From an outsider looking in I would not have been a happy Arsenal Supporter last night. Yet again Wegner has not spent like the other "big teams" and I can see that if a change at the top does not come soon Arsenal will be just another team in the premiership. His time has come to go.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal don't have the funds to compete with Chelsea and Man United, so I fail to see how sacking Wenger will change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I don't fully put the blame on wenger for no signings. I think partly its down to money, this we've got X amount to spend is bs. If it is, there's no better person to run a club on a low budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Okay we didnt sign the midfielder we all wanted..........its done and dusted now..........we still have a very good side........backed up by some injuries that are due back in the next month or so..............so lets stop all the wenger ranting and get behind him and our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Allows him to play the 2 international matches. I'll be amazed if he does'nt come back crocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Allows him to play the 2 international matches. I'll be amazed if he does'nt come back crocked.

I concur. International teams are notorious for rushing players back when not completely fit, forcing them through one or two matches, then sending them back to their clubs with a serious injury which could have been avoided by simply resting the guy. Its happened to RvP a few times now.

• Advertisement

Jaysis, you're a right pair of wet blankets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I think he's just injury-prone tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Is there no sign of Arsenal showing any interest in Appiah at all?

Is there no sign of Arsenal showing any interest in Appiah at all?

It's beginning to surface on some blogs, but just straw clutching at the moment i'd say

http://goonertalk.com/2008/09/03/appiah-linked-no-ramsey-bid-from-cardiff/

http://www.fansonline.net/westham/article.php?id=136

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

How does it work with players out of contract with their clubs (free agents)? They can be signed up for squad cover even though the window is shut. Is that right?

It's on skysports.com now, just Appiah saying he wants to play in the premier league and that Arsenal have been linked to him (they've nothing to back that up with).

Yeah he can sign for Arsenal and play straight away since he's not moving from a different club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DenMan wrote: »
    How does it work with players out of contract with their clubs (free agents)? They can be signed up for squad cover even though the window is shut. Is that right?

it's to do with the registration i think. a normal transfer is where the player's registration changes hands between. when a player's contract expires a players registration returns to the player, so there's no actual 'transfer' of the registration when he signs for a new club... it's something like that iirc.

Thanks for that. So what happened with Fenerbache? He made his intentions about wanting to leave before the end of his contract (last Christmas I believe) Why didn't they sell him on instead of his contract running out? If he's available then why hasn't anybody made a move for him before now? Ghana captain, should be headhunted by all interested.

I believe he was forced to undertake an operation by the club doctors which they botched, he spent a long period out injured and told the club he wanted to leave. He's been in an argument with him since and apparently hasn't paid in months. Either the contract's been cancelled already or his lawyers are 99% sure he can get out of it. Something along those lines.

so i googled trying to get more info, and came up with this;

http://ghana.worldcupblog.org/player-news-and-rumors/fenerbahce-betray-stephen-appiah.html
    Stephen Appiah is pissed off.

He’s so pissed that not only is he thinking about leaving his club, but he’s gone public with his complaints. And as we all know, Appiah isn’t the complaining type. He’s the sort of guy who will smile through an earthquake, he’s that composed.

Remember a few weeks ago when there was all that confusion about Appiah’s contract? Well, it turns out that there is more to that story than a simple misunderstanding. While Fenerbahce don’t in fact want to suspend Appiah’s contract, they’ve been doing evil in several other ways.

In the winter of 2007, Appiah sustained an injury to his knee, but at the request of his club, held off his surgery until the end of the season. Instead, he continued playing with the aid of painkillers and injections. He finally got his surgery that May. However, two months after that, he again started feeling pain in his knee, this time accompanied by breathing difficulties.

Fenerbahce diagnosed this as asthma.

The club continued treating him for asthma for the next several months though the treatments were having no affect. Appiah continued playing during this time. But in December, going to Italian doctors this time, Appiah discovered the real reason for his pain: after his surgery last May, he had developed blood clots in his left leg, which later became microembolisms. Appiah immediately switched his medical care out of the club and into the hands of Italian doctors.

That’s pretty evil, right? It is for this reason that Appiah missed out on the chance to captain his national team in his homeland during the most prestigious football tournament for Africans. If Appiah had gotten treatment for this last summer, he would have been perfectly fine by now. But it’s not just about the football. Fenerbahce’s woeful misdiagnosis not only endangered Appiah’s playing career but his life. Blood clots are very serious and have results in many deaths.

But wait. Fenerbahce wasn’t done with screwing up Appiah’s life. So while Appiah was in Ghana for the ACN, his club tried to freeze his contract, revealed private medical information to the press, and attempted to exercise an extension option on his current contract without his consent.

WHAT??

Talk about stabbing a guy in the back. Appiah got injured on Fenerbahce’s behalf, played through his pain, led them to the title last year. And this is how his club is rewarding him?

Though the healing process is going well, Appiah hasn’t decided what his response to Fenerbahce will be though it seems very unlikely that he will renew his contract. While he adores the club and the fans, he no longer trusts the management. He also hasn’t ruled out legal action in relation to the misdiagnosis.

the impartiality of the article is no doubt in question, but still the whole thing seems weird. any possible transfer seems to hinge on a possible FIFA ruling that because Fenerbache haven't paid him for months he can be considered a free agent. Fenerbache on the other hand apparently had approval to do so from the Turkish FA so this could end up very messy. it's pretty clear to me now why clubs have been so reluctant to go near him.

oh, and apparently West Ham admitted they were in discussions with him as of yesterday.

edit: my browser is acting weird. but i left out and explanation of why the Turkish FA backed Fenerbache. it's to do with the foreign quota the Turkish league has. i'm not 100% on it, but apparently if a foreign player get's injured his registration can be suspended and a new one brought in for the duration of the injury. I think this requires the suspension of the actual contract however, which understandably would be why Appiah would be against it. Fenerbache seem to have gone ahead with it anyway, with the backing of the FA, and stopped paying him, so he's saying this is tantamount to a termination of the contract and is requesting FIFA to intervene. or was. none of this seems very public.

I couldn't care less at this stage.

He may not end up being free, but he's a centre mid with experience who could sign for the club tomorrow. I'd say he's about the only one out there. As long as he's not crocked I'd love to get him.

Doubt Wenger would see it that way though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

he's not young or prodigous enough for Wenger tbh :p

Poor guy. That's the Ottomans for you. Bring him to Arsenal and let Colin Lewin and his staff will take good care of him. Need some African strength in the middle of the park. If he is anything like his buddy Essien we are in for a treat. (providing we get him of course)

Nice one len. Still hope we go for it. We've done well out of cases for players etc. The clot thing sounds like bad news.

Wouldn't mind if we got him but doubt we will TBH.
    It looks like Wenger is grooming Song to be our DMF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Need some African strength in the middle of the park.
    Gaviscon wrote:
    It looks like Wenger is grooming Song to be our DMF
    I'd have high hopes for Song and as I've said before, it's like having a new player this year (one with good international experience).

Not saying Appiah's not a good player but I don't think it's just a question of getting any player in, especially given his injury troubles... just because someone's available, doesn't make them the right choice.

Not sure why I am posting this here, maybe because of the Rosicky factor. Only got around to seeing the highlights of the recent England draw with the Czech Rep. Did anybody watch the game? I know Tomas is out but from what I saw England were awful and the Czech Rep looked comfortable without him and really should have won the game, very scrappy equaliser. Was it a combination of the Czechs being in control or England being so poor, or a combination of both? Just curious.

My main concern over Song would be his mobility. From what little we've seen of him in central midfield recently (emphasis on little), he seems a bit too relaxed, a bit too low tempo. I feel a highly mobile, physically powerful, high energy midfield player is the ideal partner for Cesc. No doubting Song's physique (he's built like a tank) or his technical ability, but does he have the engine?

On the other hand there's Denilson who I feel does have the engine but doesn't have the physicality or possibly the defensive instincts that Song has. If only they could be combined! Of course that'd leave us even shorter on numbers :pac:

Whichever we end up with starting regularly (or even perhaps Diaby), at least we're fortunate that they'll have world's best midfielder beside them to hold their hand. Though if he gets injured, we're boned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If only they could be combined!

Like this? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

My main concern over Song would be his mobility. From what little we've seen of him in central midfield recently (emphasis on little), he seems a bit too relaxed, a bit too low tempo. I feel a highly mobile, physically powerful, high energy midfield player is the ideal partner for Cesc. No doubting Song's physique (he's built like a tank) or his technical ability, but does he have the engine?
    I think he's more like Gilberto 'economy of movement' Silva than Mathieu 'from left back to right wing in the blink of an eye' Flamini - and while last year would suggest that Fabregas benefits hugely from the latter type of partner, I think Cesc would have been better last year than he was the year before anyway even if Gilberto had still been beside him. So I wouldn't be too concerned personally.
    Though if he gets injured, we're boned.
    No arguing there.

Not sure why I am posting this here, maybe because of the Rosicky factor. Only got around to seeing the highlights of the recent England draw with the Czech Rep. Did anybody watch the game? I know Tomas is out but from what I saw England were awful and the Czech Rep looked comfortable without him and really should have won the game, very scrappy equaliser. Was it a combination of the Czechs being in control or England being so poor, or a combination of both? Just curious.

Yeah it is a bit of both. Czech Republic are a good team. Had they been more clinical things could have gotten embarrassing for England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Just a thought, I wonder is wenger moving away from the defensive midfielder role, and looking for the two central midfielders to share a box to box type role, after all, we have seen some good attacking support play from Denilson in recent games.

Just a thought, I wonder is wenger moving away from the defensive midfielder role, and looking for the two central midfielders to share a box to box type role, after all, we have seen some good attacking support play from Denilson in recent games.

indeed. Wenger's made no secret of this, i think he's used the word 'dynamism' in the past to describe what he wants in a partner for Cesc.

Cesc is a very dynamic midfielder who will pop up everywhere to make that pass. if you play a more traditional holding midfielder it really gives him less room to manoeuvre; the ideal partner will effectively act as his counter ballast. the wingers also come into it, he likes them to act as much a playmaker cutting inside and taking up more central positions. this is why someone with a good engine in his CM is important, they can effectively pivot with each other and overlap to create the space needed. That's why we saw Flamini pretty much appear everywhere on the park, closing down and pressing.

make no mistake though, he still needs someone with good defensive qualities though to be the foil for Cesc; that's why he won't put the likes of Nasri or Rosicky in the centre even though they are very dynamic players. but it's still very much attack as a unit; defend as a unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I still think it'd be cool to see a midfield three along the lines of Fabregas Rosicky(when/if he comes back of course!) and Nasri in one or two of the easier games with a front 3 of RvP Ade and Theo. Think it could tear teams apart.

The mid 3 are very dynamic players and capable of defending. Rosicky in particular i find is under appreciated in this department, his speed and slide tackling ability is a great asset imo. I haven't seen as much of Nasri in his defending yet since i've been away(one and a half games worth) but i get the impression he is along the same lines as Cesc and Tomas anyway.

Sure there was even the game against blackburn 2 seasons ago i think it was when Gilberto got sent off and Wenger left Cesc Hleb and Rosicky in the middle and we won 2-0. I'm not saying this is the solution to our problems at all of course, just think it'd add a bit more excitement is all and might help break down some of the more stubborn teams!

Stephen Appiah was supposed to have had a great game for Ghana last night as they went down 1-0 against Libya. I wonder were there any Arsenal scouts watching him?, hope so.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4107761,00.html

No news on the official site.

Anyone know how our boys are doing international wise?

Gaviscon wrote: »
    No news on the official site.

Anyone know how our boys are doing international wise?

So far no injuries ;)

I see Walcott played 90mins. That's a promising sign for him. I believe he can cement a first team place. I mean his only competition is Beckham (past it) and Bentley (also unproven at international level).

someone keeps editing the Stephen Appiah page on wikipedia saying he's joined Arsenal today, saying he will wear number 6. no sources no nothing; so i'm assuming it's complete horsesh*t. But it's been closest thing to Arsenal related news over the past week or so so i thought i'd mention it here :D

M'bia said we tried a last minute bid for him.

• Advertisement

someone keeps editing the Stephen Appiah page on wikipedia saying he's joined Arsenal today, saying he will wear number 6. no sources no nothing; so i'm assuming it's complete horsesh*t. But it's been closest thing to Arsenal related news over the past week or so so i thought i'd mention it here :D

I VERY much doubt he'd be given the number 6 shirt, especially since Senderos is still an Arsenal player and supposedly in our long term plan.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I especially since Senderos is still an Arsenal player and supposedly in our long term plan.

Our long term plan for the footballing destruction of AC Milan :D

Nice win for the England under 19's tonight against the Dutch,2-1, both goals scored by Rhys Murphy and one set up by Lansbury, five Arsenal players played tonight for England.

Lansbury was MOTM I thought too? Good to see him getting back to form after his injury/illness problems of last season, before Wilshere burst onto the scene he was the English youngster everyone was talking about.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/Young-Gunner-Ramsey-inspires-sensational.4474748.jp

I've been very impressed with Ramsey. Has plenty to do still before he can become a real option for the first team but I've no doubt he'll get there, sooner rather than later.

Nasri out of the French game tonight with a knee injury. Bloody internationals.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Nice win for the England under 19's tonight against the Dutch,2-1, both goals scored by Rhys Murphy and one set up by Lansbury, five Arsenal players played tonight for England.

WAAAAGHHH!!! Only five? Wenger hates Engerland!!! :mad:

Still no mention of Nasri's injury in the Injury News section on the official website. Is it just a precaution that he withdrew from the French squad? Hope it is not too bad. It seems to be the main part of the site I have been looking at recently, injury news. :(

Is it just a precaution that he withdrew from the French squad? Hope it is not too bad.

On Setanta it says he complained of a 'sore knee' and they describe it as an 'injury niggle', nothing concrete there but does look to be minor. Heres hoping they're right.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/09/10/Premier-League-Nasri-out-for-France/

Adebayor refused to fly and play with Togo today so at least he will be a bit fresher for the Blackburn game

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Adebayor refused to fly and play with Togo today so at least he will be a bit fresher for the Blackburn game

indeed, that is a weird one seemingly. few different reports on it as well. one seemed to think it was because he didn't feel safe on the plane, others suggested it's a rift between him and the Togo FA president.

Hat-trick for Theo Walcott. He has arrived (finally) Well done Sir Theo. This is brilliant news for both England and Arsenal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement