Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

DenMan wrote: »
    Hat-trick for Theo Walcott. He has arrived (finally) Well done Sir Theo. This is brilliant news for both England and Arsenal.

Could be jumping the gun a bit there. He's scored one hat trick.
    Lets see how he plays the next few weekends for Arsenal before he has arrived.
    Is a good performance though and sounds promising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Frisbee wrote: »
    Could be jumping the gun a bit there. He's scored one hat trick.
    Lets see how he plays the next few weekends for Arsenal before he has arrived.
    Is a good performance though and sounds promising

True, then again it is better to be scoring goals than not scoring them. His best position would be behind the main striker than being out on the wing. At least it gives both Capello and Wenger more options. Regarding Wenger it does give him more options and Walcott will only benefit more from playing in his preferred position, especially considering how our strikers pick up terrible injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Didn't see the match or goals yet but apparently Walcott had a stormer. Delighted for the lad, just hope the inevitable tabloid mania doesn't effect him too much over the next while. Will be alot more pressure on him now that he shown just exactly how good he can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Goals are up on 101greatgoals.com. 3 great winger goals.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Theo reminds me of Freddie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Hopefully without the hips.

Needs to get a cooler haircut. I reckon a blue mohawk, to be original...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Any word on whether RVP made it through an international break without maiming himself?

Yup. He played 70 mins for Holland and was fine.

However Nasri missed France's game with a knee injury 'niggle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Yup. He played 70 mins for Holland and was fine.

However Nasri missed France's game with a knee injury 'niggle'.

Quick follow from this for some of our other International players:
    From ArsenalVision
    Gallas, Sagna and Clichy all played 90 mins for France, no news of injuries
    Cesc played less than 20mins for spain (keeps him fresh)
    Bendtner scored for Denmark

Will Walcott start on Saturday I wonder ?
    If Nasri is fit for the left, Eboue seems to be Wengers favourite on the right for tough away games.

• Advertisement

I watched the Mexico vs Jamaica game.
    Vela was on fire. His link up play with Dos Santos was unbelievable.
    Set up two goals and was very lucky not to get on the score sheet himself.

Thinking maybe Wenger should start thinking to bring him in as a sub before Bendtner some of the time...

(True it was only Jamaica, but still... :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Frisbee wrote: »
    Thinking maybe Wenger should start thinking to bring Vela in as a sub before Bendtner some of the time...
    No doubting he's a talent and Wenger's always said that he rates him highly but Vela's had a lot of travelling for international matches recently so Arsene has said he's going to try to use him sparingly so he's not knackered by November.
    DenMan wrote:
    True, then again it is better to be scoring goals than not scoring them. His best position would be behind the main striker than being out on the wing.
    Don't forget that Theo was in great form at the end of last season as well - last night is far from his first good performance. Probably his best performance though. Also I'm pretty sure he was an orthodox winger last night so I'm content for him to play from there for Arsenal at the moment too :)

Also, shout out for Clichy who FINALLY got his first French cap - well deserved and probably a bit overdue.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Also, shout out for Clichy who FINALLY got his first French cap - well deserved and probably a bit overdue.

+7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I know its a little random, and you mightnt want bad memories reopened, but the above poster is dead right about Walcott last season....that goal in Anfield is one of the best goals I've ever seen and would be remembered as such if it wasnt for the result.

Theo has been producing bursts of brilliance pretty much from his first game. There seems to be a conception floating around that he did nothing up until the closing stages of last season which isn’t really true. In his first few games at Arsenal he quickly racked up about 7 assists (proper assists too, as in he made the goals very deliberately) before he picked up that shoulder injury and really started to struggle. As he has gotten more confident his moments of class have certainly become more potent, but it is mostly his overall game that has improved in the last few years (and still has a LOT more work required). He’s been capable of the flashes that make people go wow since before he was legal.

Double post - below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think when it comes to Theo people have forgotten how young he is. he arrived at Arsenal at 16, with a hefty transfer fee hanging over his head. almost from day one he started receiving stick from the British press, and other players who feel he hasn't done enough... before they even gave him a chance to do anything. he's had to deal with a lot more ****, at a very young age, than most professionals will deal with in their entire career.

but ignore all the hype, all the media, and the progress has been there for everyone to see. he's getting into increasingly good positions, he's using the ball better, and he's able to take his chances better, he's handling the physical aspect better. and he's still only 19.

the youngest player to ever score a hat trick for England. and it's only going to get better.

anyway; different note: some of ye will have seen from Arseblogger and the like that the new CEO is rumoured to have been chosen. Paul Donovan, a former CEO with a Vodafone subsidiary (i think?) and lifelong Arsenal fan apparently. credible?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    that goal in Anfield is one of the best goals I've ever seen and would be remembered as such if it wasnt for the result.
    He's actually been quite unlucky with a lot of his best moments (until last night) - 2 goals against Birmingham (his first two in the league) are barely remembered compared to Eduardo's injury, Gallas' strop, Clichy's non-penalty, etc. and his two goals against Slavia towards the start of last season were part of a 7-0 mauling. Plus of course the Liverpool one as you say... all overshadowed in different ways but brilliant nonetheless.
    it is mostly his overall game that has improved in the last few years
    I take your point about the deliberate assists earlier on but I think this is one of the biggest improvements he's made - having the confidence to take the time to make better decisions (whether it's a pass in open play or a final pass to set someone else up) instead of just firing the ball around at random as he often did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wenger rules out Appiah bid.

I think we all knew it was coming, disappointing nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Oh my fúcking god

This guy's actually been a disaster.

Arse also apparently interested in some 33 year old Brazillian midfielder called Mineiro who's a free agent. Why let Gilberto Silva go and then go off and try and sign somebody even older who's most likely not as good? Smacks of desperation if it's true, and sounds like Wenger had plans to replace the midfield that didn't work out. Should have had a replacement before letting Gilberto go in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd imagie Alonso was wat was wanted, talk toward the end of the window was that yous were desperate to sign him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

disappointed about the appiah news, he would have been great.

on another note, i had to laugh at wenger's pop at robinho at the press conference they showed on ssn

Oh my fúcking god

This guy's actually been a disaster.
    Wenger spoke about that at the press conference; he said it is minor and it is a matter of days not weeks before he returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So France play three of the Arsenal back four (silly Toure getting cup tied) and suddenly win a game? Take note Ray.
    Great to see Clichy finally get his overdue 1st full cap.

Walcott is the man of the hour now. The press are already saying he will be this years Ronaldo, George best yadda yadda etc. Lets not put any pressure on the lad :rolleyes:
    It's looking optimistic having two goalscoring wingers (Nasri and Walcott) in addition to our already impressive array (couldn't bring myself to say arsenal) of strikers. We could be seeing some big scores in future.

So I'm off to go brag in the England squad thread where everyone criticized me for sticking up for Theo. :p

Silvestre probably wont pplay against Blackburn but should be available to play Kiev:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/silvestre-debut-could-be-delayed-once-more

• Advertisement

Trying to think of a reason for posting this here other than our connections with Real Madrid (Reyes, Baptista). Read the BBC website soccer paper headlines and read something very interesting, could pave the way for the way how clubs prepare in the future. Jamaican triple Gold Medalist Usain Bolt will be hired by Real Madrid in a bid to get their players super fit for the coming season, terrific signing if you ask me and other clubs will follow suit, be it hiring track and field athletes, basketball players etc. Read before that Linford Christie wanted to help the Arsenal team years ago but was never approaced or encouraged by the club. Hopefully this will change with Madrid's offer to Bolt.

Trying to think of a reason for posting this here other than our connections with Real Madrid (Reyes, Baptista). Read the BBC website soccer paper headlines and read something very interesting, could pave the way for the way how clubs prepare in the future. Jamaican triple Gold Medalist Usain Bolt will be hired by Real Madrid in a bid to get their players super fit for the coming season, terrific signing if you ask me and other clubs will follow suit, be it hiring track and field athletes, basketball players etc. Read before that Linford Christie wanted to help the Arsenal team years ago but was never approaced or encouraged by the club. Hopefully this will change with Madrid's offer to Bolt.

i would entirely disagree with this approach. every sport is different and has different fitness requirements. Fair enough Bolt is the fastest man on the planet, but his ability isn't useful to footballers. they need acceleration over 10 yards not 100 (Bolt falls behind in almost every race in the first 10 and catches up around 50, then wins it with his stride around 70/80). plus sprinters put so much power into their running that they would find it difficult to turn about quickly. i just think it's pointless.

besides Arsenal anyway have one of the most advanced fitness regimes in the world; they've been light years ahead of real madrid for the past decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

So what are the chances of Van Persie starting? Keep hearing he's injured but he played in the Holland game?

I'd say RvP will start. He picked up no injuries (that I know of) for Holland.

Arse also apparently interested in some 33 year old Brazillian midfielder called Mineiro who's a free agent. Why let Gilberto Silva go and then go off and try and sign somebody even older who's most likely not as good? Smacks of desperation if it's true
    Which I'd be very surprised if it is - Arsenal are going to be linked with every free agent under the sun at the moment after some bright spark in a paper decided it was the best way of keeping transfer news open... but doesn't mean it's in any way true.

Wenger was very dismissive of the Appiah rumours so I don't think there'll be any developments until January. Relax - pinch of salt and all that.
    roryc wrote:
    So what are the chances of Van Persie starting? Keep hearing he's injured but he played in the Holland game?
    EDIT: Yeah, Van Persie should be fit to start so I'd assume he will. Where are you hearing he's injured?

• Advertisement

Wenger spoke about that at the press conference; he said it is minor and it is a matter of days not weeks before he returns.

Yeah I remember him saying that before, last January. 9 months later and Rosicky still isn't fit.

Rosicky, quality when fit.
    Never fit. :(

PR stunt - pure and simple

Probably trying to see if they can sell training tops with 'Bolt', #100 on the back....

No Nasri today. Bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Galvasean wrote: »
    Rosicky, quality when fit.
    Never fit. :(

Thus by deduction, crap. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Publicity stunt!!!

Why bolt, he's only young. Surely there are far better sprint trainers.

If he hadn't broken the world records you wouldn't be hearing anything like this.

YES!!!

Great goal by Robin, made brilliantly by Theo.

Gallas off for a bit with an eye problem and Sagna went into the middle with Toure and looked brilliantly calm. Such a versatile player, my fav for Arsenal for his all round contribution. Still 1-0 up at 31 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

whoops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Good solid win

4-0

• Advertisement

Good solid win

4-0

Indeed. Very shakey defensively in the first half, but better in the second. Nice to see Wilshere (youngest ever Arsenal league player) and Ramsey (nice assist) getting on for a while.

Hope Eboue isn't seriously hurt, he's actually playing quite decently so far this season and we can't really afford to lose any more players.

I'd be very surprised if he was injured seriously. It was a blatant dive after all.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It was a blatant dive after all.

Jesus... more of it. no one will ever give him a break will they?

More of it? Did you even see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I don't know how you can say it was a dive, looked contact to me, will have to see it again later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd be very surprised if he was injured seriously. It was a blatant dive after all.

Not his biggest fan but having seen it a few times I'm not so sure it was a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

4-0 at Blackburn is a great result today
    I think there was slight contact on Eboue for the penalty but it must have been the way he fell that hurt him cos the contact looked too minimal to cause injury imo
    There were 29 Arsenal passes in a row in the build up for Ade's 1st goal it will be hard beaten for team goal of the season
    Bring on Kiev now, hope this form keeps up

yes, there was a reckless lunge by Warnock who never had any chance of getting the ball. the penalty should have been given for intent alone.

and despite what you think, yes there was actually contact. one of the side shots showed it, Warnock raises his leg and catches Eboue's trailing leg with his shin. even though contact was slight, he was more than entitled to go down looking for the penalty.

• Advertisement

Eboue dived looking for a penalty. He was unfortunate to have been barely touched in the process but to say he didn't dive is wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement