Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Can Arsenal rely on Almunia this season in goals with no experienced backup.

A rocky defence which has been needing surgery for the last couple of seasons with a moody Gallas to catpain again. Kolo didn't look his best last season either. Will Sanga repeat the performances he put in on his debut season? If 2 of the regular defence get injured, who's there as backup?

Helb & Gilberto seemly gone and Flamini gone. I doubt what is being written in papers that Arsenal are interested in Alonso & Barry. Both too old and expensive for Wenger.

Maybe Ade going too, is Wegner hoping that perhaps Walcot is going to be the next rising star because so far, VP has been injured quiet a bit.

Seems like Arsenal need a fair bit of patch work done to the whole squad. Money in from Helb & Ade (if the Ade move goes ahead) will be what Wenger has to play around with but would you be expecting some big names for the cash being brought in on direct replacements or would Wegner disperse the funds and try fill in all the gaps around the squad?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It’s looking like Adebayor might find that nobody is willing to buy him and be stuck at Arsenal, although things can change fast.

I’d like to see a good all-rounder come in who is creative but capable of doing the defensive duties, so that he can partner Fabregas, or do the Fabregas role with one of the young DMs we already have. Somebody like Aquilani or Barry would be good. I like Alonso a lot but I’m not sure he’s mobile enough to form a good midfield pairing with Cesc.

Squad for Barnet on Saturday:

Manuel ALMUNIA (GK)
    Nacer BARAZITE
    Nicklas BENDTNER
    Gael CLICHY
    DENILSON
    James DUNNE
    Rui FONTE
    Gavin HOYTE
    Justin HOYTE
    Henri LANSBURY
    Vito MANNONE (GK)
    Havard NORDTVEIT
    Abu OGOGO
    Aaron RAMSEY
    Mark RANDALL
    Paul RODGERS
    Bacary SAGNA
    Jay SIMPSON
    Rene STEER
    Wojciech SZCZESNY (GK)
    Armand TRAORE
    Carlos VELA
    Theo WALCOTT
    Jack WILSHERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Squad for Barnet on Saturday:

Manuel ALMUNIA (GK)
    Nacer BARAZITE
    Nicklas BENDTNER
    Gael CLICHY
    DENILSON
    James DUNNE
    Rui FONTE
    Gavin HOYTE
    Justin HOYTE
    Henri LANSBURY
    Vito MANNONE (GK)
    Havard NORDTVEIT
    Abu OGOGO
    Aaron RAMSEY
    Mark RANDALL
    Paul RODGERS
    Bacary SAGNA
    Jay SIMPSON
    Rene STEER
    Wojciech SZCZESNY (GK)
    Armand TRAORE
    Carlos VELA
    Theo WALCOTT
    Jack WILSHERE

Wow, not sure what starting line up I'd like to see.

Something like:

Sagna, Nordtviet, Hoyte, Clichy
    Denilson, Ramsay, Walcott, Randall
    Vela, Bendtner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Expect tha Carling Cup team to look something like that. :)

I'd go for a team like:

Vito MANNONE (GK)

Paul RODGERS----Havard NORDTVEIT----James DUNNE
    Armand TRAORE

Jack WILSHERE----Aaron RAMSEY---Nacer BARAZITE----Rui FONTE

Theo WALCOTT
    Carlos VELA

Of course this is mostly based off of my Football Manager experience.

I hear Barca arent allowing Guardiola to make a move for Adebayor until he offloads Eto'o which is proving much harder than once expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Arsenal linked with Alonso & Barry. What are your thoughts on this ? Neither are really Wenger players. I think Alonso would do really well in the free flowing Arsenal team. Hes a fantastic passer and Arsenals movement would be perfect for him. I'd be gutted to see him go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Would leave a serious hole in the Arsenal midfield though.
    When Gerrard and Alonso played CM for Liverpool they were often left badly exposed
    as Alonso isnt a natural DM he is more a CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

As IrishMike said, Alonso is more of a CM than a DM. I also think that's the problem at Liverpool. He was dragged back to far by Rafa for him to be himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I'm hoping they're using the barry bid to open liverpool into selling alonso. Always wished we'd signed alonso that time we hrought Vieira was of to Real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'd rather Barry than Alonso. he complements Cesc's abilities better imo. Alonso and Cesc could have difficulty working with each other imo seeing as they do essentially the same role for their teams.

Fabregas is more of a CM then Gerrard, although I take the point.

What Wenger is looking for in my opinion is a partnership of 2 all-rounders, two box-to-box midfielders like Vieira & Petit, Keane & Scholes, Fabregas & Flamini etc, which is a lot more dynamic than having a dedicated holding midfielder, a dedicated attacking midfielder etc. Fabregas being a bit more naturally focussed on attacking than defending needs a player who is the opposite like Flamini was. I’m not sure that’s Alonso really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Galvasean wrote: »
    As for Hleb, how many times this season alone has he been in a goalscoring opportunity position, only to hesitate, stall and pass it to someone in a worse position, wasting the chance?
    Absolutely - and I won't miss that. But I will miss the positives he brought to the team, which we can't just forget about.
    i'd rather Barry than Alonso
    Me too - but I'd still like another Hleb-type player too.
    What Wenger is looking for in my opinion is a partnership of 2 all-rounders
    Agreed. It's always been Wenger's way really - he just doesn't seem to do Makelele-type 'break up the play and pass it 10 yards' players. Even Gilberto and Petit were likely to crop up 2/3 of the way up the pitch often enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Alonso is a passer. Finds space. Passes. Scores the odd goal. Breaks up defence with clever positioning rather than tackling. Pirlo and Carrick are in the same mould.
    IMO they work well in 3 men midfield.

Fabregas is imo a newer version of Scholes, although perhaps a bit more about passing than finishing, but only slightly.
    If you want him to play in a 2 man midfield you need a midfielder ala Keane, or Hargreaves, or Flamini.

I don't think you want a Mascherano style figure either, he's really more of a 3 man midfield, with a passer than a fast dribbling attacker [ala AC Milan].

I think Yaya Toure would be a great shout for that sort of person. I think Barry would be better at it than Alonso, but to be honest, I still think Arsenal should be aiming higher.

That said, maybe Wenger wants to be able to take some workload off Fabregas at times.

Carrick (a passer) and Scholes worked pretty well for a league challenge (although not great in the CL)
    Alonso and Fabregas could do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We really should have tried to wrangle Yaya away from Barca as part of the Hleb deal.
    Missed opportunity imo..

I agree that Yaya would compliment Fabregas quite well in our midfield.

• Advertisement

I don't. He's too Diabyesque.

Hleb is a done deal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7509273.stm

finally is all i'll say. £11.8 million apparently. meh...

There is another £3.2m tied up in various difference performance related clauses I think.

At least he's gone and we can talk about something else now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Like who to bring in...nobody it seems.

That was good money for Hleb IMO. Add another 2million for Gilberto and once again we are pretty much in the green after transfers..
    Does Wenger even get a transfer kitty anymore or do the board just expect him to raise his own transfer funds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Galvasean wrote: »
    That was good money for Hleb IMO. Add another 2million for Gilberto and once again we are pretty much in the green after transfers..
    Does Wenger even get a transfer kitty anymore or do the board just expect him to raise his own transfer funds?

Gilberto is going on a free,as far as I know the club are allowing him go on a free because he has served the club for six years and his wages were quite high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Gilberto is going on a free,as far as I know the club are allowing him go on a free because he has served the club for six years and his wages were quite high.

Thought I hear he was going for c. 2-3 million....
    Although cant complain, he's been a great man for the club

Still plenty of time for players to come in. Prices drop towards the end of the window which can be an important factor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The Ice Man at No.2
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=492961&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Gunners%27+Greatest+Players+-+2.+Dennis+Bergkamp

Looks like Henry is number one. Not surprised really but there was something more likable about Bergkamp. Never said a bad word about anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

jank wrote: »

A great article brings back floods of great memories. the single best thing Rioch did for the club was to sign that man !!
    An absolute legend and will probably always be my favourite Arsenal player ever

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    A great article brings back floods of great memories. the single best thing Rioch did for the club was to sign that man !!
    An absolute legend and will probably always be my favourite Arsenal player ever

i will comfortably second that. the man was a class act all the way there will never be another player like him. and never mind single best thing rioch ever did for us it was the ONLY! good thing he did for us.

Indie18 wrote: »
    never mind single best thing rioch ever did for us it was the ONLY! good thing he did for us.
    No, 2 good things - he also got himself sacked, which gave us Wenger :)

As for Bergkamp, I'd agree - absolute legend. Having said that, I can easily see why Henry got #1. Different players, different effects, different legacies.

Rioch did'nt even do it, Dein told him guess who we got and rioch saying Yay!! was his involvement in us signing Bergkamp. rioch cost us Seedorf, altho he was involved in us getting Wenger.

• Advertisement

Bruce Rioch, the man who played Ian Wright on the left wing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Bergkamp was always one of my favourite players ever, even pushing my favourite Liverpool players close. loved him. just class class class.

Story with Rioch was Dein had Seedorf wrapped up all it was waiting on was Rioch, don't know what exactly happened but Rioch farted around the deal fell through and that was the final straw for the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Merida playing for spain u-19 on Eurosport right now

gosplan wrote: »
    Merida playing for spain u-19 on Eurosport right now

what's he look like? a long way off the first team i presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Quick note on Gilberto
    Sad to see him go he was a great player and an Arsenal stalwart in his time with us. Best of luck Bert

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=494019&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Gilberto+leaves+Arsenal+-+a+personal+tribute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Quick note on Gilberto
    Sad to see him go he was a great player and an Arsenal stalwart in his time with us. Best of luck Bert

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=494019&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Gilberto+leaves+Arsenal+-+a+personal+tribute

+1

Sad to see him go, but the timing is probably right. Wenger normally knows when to let someone go.

and then there was one......only one left now from the invincables. toure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Indie18 wrote: »
    and then there was one......only one left now from the invincables. toure.

I didn't realise that. Toure the only one left just over 4 years later - amazing!

• Advertisement

Although he wasn't a first teamer, Clichy made enough appearances that season to be an 'Invincible' league medal winner too.

Although he wasn't a first teamer, Clichy made enough appearances that season to be an 'Invincible' league medal winner too.
    Yup, youngest winner of a Premiership medal...

Man, I can't wait for tomorrow's game. It's been too long!

Particularly looking forward to seeing Ramsey in action.

Man, I can't wait for tomorrow's game. It's been too long!

Particularly looking forward to seeing Ramsey in action.

is the game on somewhere

ATVO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Also on the Arsenal TV channel.

• Advertisement

Vela for the hat trick! :D

Is there any chance of a bar in Dublin showing the match? I don't have Setanta :(

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Is there any chance of a bar in Dublin showing the match? I don't have Setanta :(
    Yep, looks like it: www.woolshedbaa.com/wevents.html

Edit: anyone want to go to that? I'd rather see it on a big screen with a pint than watch it on my PC in my bedroom tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Papa Smut wrote: »

Think some of the members of the supporters club are going into Kates to watch it on Amiens street

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement