Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

gosplan wrote: »
    I agree but they don't call them 'tough away games' for nothing.

I'm afraid this game didn't really live up to that billing, we just made it very, very though for ourselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

gosplan wrote: »
    I agree but they don't call them 'tough away games' for nothing.

True, but we have two much tougher away games coming up now having to travel to Porto and Fenerbache.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I’ve been reading a few Arsenal forums this morning and some of the hysterical comments about last night’s game are very amusing. Reminds me why I stopped posting on them.

It is a little disappointing to only come away with a draw, but it is not a particularly bad result either. Kyiv are a better side than last season and will take other points in this group. They were missing Artem Milevskiy who is a much better striker than that moany clown Bangoura.

Our first half performance wasn’t bad at all. Defensively we were very well organised and disciplined, and we could have been 3 or 4 nil up by half time. Our second half performance was obviously disappointing, but we still matched them and created as many, if not more chances. It was a positive that we were able to come back after their bogus penalty (which completely undid our gameplan). We were badly stretched as we searched for an equaliser, which was due to a) Song going off (he performed the holding role excellently) and our wide men not tracking back. I can forgive Theo for that as he has played a lot of football lately, especially for a 19 year old. I can forgive Robin for it too as his fitness is obviously not 100%, but I am worried as to whether it will ever be 100%. He looks very sluggish. Fortunately we have a natural replacement waiting in the wings, Carlos Vela.

Perhaps our formation showed Kyiv too much respect but regardless of what anyone says, trips to eastern Europe can be tricky, as is demonstrated by this being only our 2nd point from 7 trips there. I do think that we lacked the optimum personnel for the formation. Our central midfield trio in a 4-5-1 needs to be setup like this – DM, CM, AM. Last night we had a natural DM in Song in the DM role which was fine, and a natural CM in the CM role in Denilson, but Fabregas is a CM too and he is wasted in the AM role. When Cesc dropped deep to where he could contribute, Adebayor was left isolated. We would be a lot better if we had Nasri or Rosicky playing where Cesc was last night, and Cesc where Denilson was. It highlighted why I wanted another attacking midfielder brought in, because Nasri will miss games, and Rosicky can’t be relied upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

an away draw is always (well, nearly always) a decent result in the Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

i have no major wories about the draw last nightas long as arsenal get 9 points from the games at home they will be fine and maybe an away win or two more draws i wouldn't worrie about it. what i would be worried about is that the team are going to be going into the away bolton game after only being back in the country for one full day but i would still expect a result on saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I’ve been reading a few Arsenal forums this morning and some of the hysterical comments about last night’s game are very amusing. Reminds me why I stopped posting on them.

It is a little disappointing to only come away with a draw, but it is not a particularly bad result either. Kyiv are a better side than last season and will take other points in this group. They were missing Artem Milevskiy who is a much better striker than that moany clown Bangoura.

Our first half performance wasn’t bad at all. Defensively we were very well organised and disciplined, and we could have been 3 or 4 nil up by half time. Our second half performance was obviously disappointing, but we still matched them and created as many, if not more chances. It was a positive that we were able to come back after their bogus penalty (which completely undid our gameplan). We were badly stretched as we searched for an equaliser, which was due to a) Song going off (he performed the holding role excellently) and our wide men not tracking back. I can forgive Theo for that as he has played a lot of football lately, especially for a 19 year old. I can forgive Robin for it too as his fitness is obviously not 100%, but I am worried as to whether it will ever be 100%. He looks very sluggish. Fortunately we have a natural replacement waiting in the wings, Carlos Vela.

Perhaps our formation showed Kyiv too much respect but regardless of what anyone says, trips to eastern Europe can be tricky, as is demonstrated by this being only our 2nd point from 7 trips there. I do think that we lacked the optimum personnel for the formation. Our central midfield trio in a 4-5-1 needs to be setup like this – DM, CM, AM. Last night we had a natural DM in Song in the DM role which was fine, and a natural CM in the CM role in Denilson, but Fabregas is a CM too and he is wasted in the AM role. When Cesc dropped deep to where he could contribute, Adebayor was left isolated. We would be a lot better if we had Nasri or Rosicky playing where Cesc was last night, and Cesc where Denilson was. It highlighted why I wanted another attacking midfielder brought in, because Nasri will miss games, and Rosicky can’t be relied upon.
    Surely though the result is a bit disappointing in the context of Kievs last four home Champions League results:

Kiev 1 Sporting Lisbon 2
    Kiev 2 Man Utd 4
    Kiev 1 Roma 4
    Kiev 2 Drogheda 2

We were badly stretched as we searched for an equaliser, which was due to a) Song going off (he performed the holding role excellently)

Agreed, I thought he looked very comfortable in the holding roll, really breaking down the play and knew when to, if necessary, commit a minor foul when we could be caught (some may class this as unsportsmanlike but most good DM ala Makelele, Gattuso etc make great use of this :p)

Much more confident in him than I was before last nights match...

Pighead wrote: »
    Surely though the result is a bit disappointing in the context of Kievs last four home Champions League results:

Kiev 1 Sporting Lisbon 2
    Kiev 2 Man Utd 4
    Kiev 1 Roma 4
    Kiev 2 Drogheda 2
    You left out their 4-1 win over Spartak Moscow.

As I said, they are a better team than they were last season, when they went through 3 managers in one season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

You left out their 4-1 win over Spartak Moscow.

As I said, they are a better team than they were last season, when they went through 3 managers in one season.
    Oops so I did. My mistake. It's probably a bit early to be saying that they area better team than last season though. Their league has only just started as well in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Probably should have won but a point away in Eastern Europe (where we never seem to excel) isn't bad. We have arguably the toughest game of the group out of the way. personally I think if we won our 3 home games and drew the two away games we would be doing quite well for ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

As said I agree that Song played very well, needs a bit more pace to his game but there is room for improvement. Even though the boss see's him as a centre half in the long term. But as usual Adebayor who lives offside was shocking again, I really hope he slips and breaks his leg or something, I think we're hindered when he plays. We need Eduardo back asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I think Adebayor is massively important to us. A big and physical presence upfront is essential to the way we play.

Anyhoo, a draw in the end isn't the worst result, but given the unreal chances we had we should have been at least 2-0 by half time. Still think we'll top the group no problem, however I suppose that mightn't count for much like previous years.

Galvasean wrote: »
    We have arguably the toughest game of the group out of the way.

Would have to disagree with you there.
    Away to Fenerbache has to be looked upon as one of the hardest ties any can have to play in the CL. While there football might not be top notch, the stadium tiers down almost onto the pitch and they have some of the most intimidating supporters...

Away to Porto is no walk in the park either.

Arsenal key financial results:
    Group turnover increased to £223.0 million (2007 - £200.8 million) reflecting growth in revenues in the core football business but a reduced level of property activity in the year.

Broadcasting income up to £68.4 million (2007 - £44.3 million) from new Premier League domestic and overseas TV deals but match day income £94.6 million (2007 - £90.6 million) remained the most important component of the Group’s income.

Improvement and extension of key player / management contracts resulted in total wage costs increasing to £101.3 million (2007 - £89.7 million).

Profit before tax of £36.7 million (2007 - £26.9 million excluding exceptional costs) confirms success of Emirates Stadium move and strength of Group’s financial position.

Group’s net debt of £318.1 million (2007 - £268.2 million) includes £133.5 million (2007 - £62.9 million) of bank loans used to fund investment in the Highbury Square redevelopment works.
    Interesting.

That is an incredibly high wage figure, particularly given we've supposedly gotten rid of all the high earners in Ljungberg, Henry, Lehmann, Gilberto etc. So much for 'Arsenal are tight'. Though to be fair I think we pay our youngsters a lot more than other clubs; the top earners wouldn't earn as much.

PHW went on to add that the club has a cash surplus of £90m, although about £30m of that is restricted. Still, not short of cash.

Kroenke added to our board of directors..
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/other
    Watch this space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

PHW went on to add that the club has a cash surplus of £90m, although about £30m of that is restricted. Still, not short of cash.

And still people say we are short of cash, still that great expert dunphy reckons we won't challenge for anything this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

OPENROAD wrote: »
    And still people say we are short of cash, still that great expert dunphy reckons we won't challenge for anything this season.

Of course we'll challenge, we just won't win anything!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Of course we'll challenge, we just won't win anything!

I have made a mental note of your post and hope to bring it up in May when we do.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I have made a mental note of your post and hope to bring it up in May when we do.;)

Carling cup ftw!

:pac:

Carling cup ftw!

:pac:

have us backed for it at 12/1, we should go very close.

• Advertisement

He also says if United lose to Chelsea this Sunday their season is over. The man is a pair of fools, thats right so foolish he has to become two people to contain all of his foolishness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi Galvasean

Realistically over the course of the season do you see Chelsea losing 4 games, because I don't. Even if they draw in games where they may struggle they are still picking up points. Dunphy is right in what he says. If they build up a significant lead on Utd then all they have to do is match Utd's score throughout the season while still having extra points in the bag. Scolari knows that. They are professional enough to see that through. Heck they nearly did it last season, they only ran out of games. If Utd go down on Sunday it may be very difficult for them to catch up. They will be dependent on other sides dropping points. Chelsea because of their squad effectively have two teams in the Premiership. Their second 11 would run their starting 11 close over a season and are well covered in all areas. I wish we were the same.

He also says if United lose to Chelsea this Sunday their season is over. The man is a pair of fools, thats right so foolish he has to become two people to contain all of his foolishness!

I saw that, have to say that made me :D madness

To be honest Den, yes I do feel Chelsea could drop over 12 poits in the course of the season. They are by no means immortal.
    United had a slow start to last season too but won it in the finish up. The league's history has time and again shown epic comebacks.

Slightly off topic.

I think some people are forgetting how new Scolari is to the English game, and now he's just lost who is probably the most experienced member of his staff. Remember, in 4 years managing Portugal he couldn't get them to defend set pieces properly, in every tournament he managed them they lost out to the same thing; set pieces. and this was while working with some of the best defenders in the world. the man isn't infallible, yes he's got a great squad but there's still plenty of room for mistakes.

I personally think this years points winning points tally will be lower than last years. Pool still don't look that consistent despite their tally. Arsenal are vulnerable in midfield and aerially, as usual, and relying on players who still haven't fully been acclimatised into the starting 11. United lost Querioz, and the evidence so far is that Ferguson has looked slightly out of his depth without him. Chelsea i've outlined above. Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, there are plenty of points to be dropped this season, so there's no point placing to much emphasis on this one match.

edit: thought this was the match thread for some reason. so apologies if it appears out of place.

Its fine Len, we were kind of discussing that anyway.

Back to the gunners.

Wenger annoyed by the amount of people hacking Theo:
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-punish-defenders-who-target-walcott

Don't forget. Setanta Ireland is showing our match today. :)

Don't forget. Setanta Ireland is showing our match today. :)

Jaysus you're right. **** the Irish times anyway, i nearly would have missed it, they seem to have made a right arse of their TV listings recently. somebody is looking at the English Setanta schedules i think...

Last weeks match, this weeks match, next weeks match.
    All on at 5 / 5.30 on a Saturday.

Have to work 5-10 every saturday.

Stupid fixtures... Why cant we have more early matches?? :mad:

According to Arsenal's website its on Setanta Sports 1.
    Kick off at 5:30
    Best keep an eye open so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

wtf, why is he resting van persie? there goes my fantasy football

• Advertisement

Made this today. Hope you all like it :)

SP0074ArsenalCrest_F.jpg?t=1221927747

Now i see why Theo and RvP got rested.
    Hope Clichy is okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Anyone else fear we'll do great upto a point and then just run out of steam:(?

Another good 3 points. Top of the table :D
    High scoring consecutive away wins against Blackburn and Bolton. Yes please!

Attention turns to Wednesday. Whose it gonna be?

Fabianski

Eboue
    Djourou---Silvestre----Gibbs

Walcott---Ramsey---Song----Wilshire

Vela----Bendtner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Anyone else fear we'll do great upto a point and then just run out of steam:(?

Obviously yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Phew
    Clichy given all-clear after Bolton injury

Gael Clichy suffered only bruising to his shin during the game at Bolton on Saturday.

The left back went off just before half time feeling the effects of a challenge by Kevin Davies. He went to hospital for a scan but they found no fracture.

As a result, Gael was able to join up the rest of the Arsenal squad for the journey home.

That's a relief. Our defense looked seriously disorganized in the second half without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

According to Arsenal's website its on Setanta Sports 1.
    Kick off at 5:30
    Best keep an eye open so.

It was on Setanta Sports 1 in the UK. For some reason they changed it in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Arsenal top - -Tottenham bottom.
    Pls end the league now.

• Advertisement

newbie2 wrote: »
    Arsenal top - -Tottenham bottom.
    Pls end the league now.

Agreed. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hate to be negative in the wake of a 3-1 away win but.....

1. How dodgy did Almunia look today :eek:
    2. What sorta fooked up way do we defend set pieces? :confused: Simplify it lads, take a man each, end of.
    3. Toure and Gallas need to learn how to command at CB, the amount of free headers they let go today...
    4. Why do we continue to sit back after going a goal up on the opposition when we could be putting them to bed?

Good win, but at the same time, Bolton could easily have gotten something out the game too.

cson wrote: »

2. What sorta fooked up way do we defend set pieces? :confused: Simplify it lads, take a man each, end of.
    3. Toure and Gallas need to learn how to command at CB, the amount of free headers they let go today...
    4. Why do we continue to sit back after going a goal up on the opposition when we could be putting them to bed?

Good win, but at the same time, Bolton could easily have gotten something out the game too.

I thought Almunia had a very good game myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I thought Almunia had a very good game myself.

He's a good shot stopper but his decision making is.... questionable at best. He almost cost us the game only Vaz Te made such a shite of his shot.

He's a good shot stopper but his decision making is.... questionable at best. He almost cost us the game only Vaz Te made such a shite of his shot.

Pulled off three great saves also, am very happy with him.

And there was I thinking we managed to win 3-1 away to one of our bogey teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Seriously i want whatever song is on. He's been fantastic the past few games. i think eboue and song will be very good for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Was just thinking during the game that Almunia hasn't really done anything stupid in a long time, and has made some great saves.

The Vaz Te incident aside he was quite good again today. Yeah there's probably better keepers out there but he's not bad himself. All keepers make mistakes sometimes. Goalkeeper would be one of the last areas that I think needs immediate strengthening.

Thank f*ck Clichy is alright. would have hate to have seen another ruled out to a f*cking thick-headed scumbag challenge by a talentless gob****e. the more I see the challenge the more pissed off I am Davies didn't get a red; he obviously had only one intention, to make Clichy hurt, he wouldn't have lifted that left leg otherwise. serious cop out imo considering the linesman was right beside the incident.

on Alumina; tbh he didn't do that bad with the Vaz Te incident. fair enough he came out to close down initially, but he corrected fairly well. he parried the cross but he was up like a shot to close down the angles. most Premiership keepers would have ended up conceding due to something like that but Alumia recovered, only a select few would have recovered in time imo.

Seriously i want whatever song is on. He's been fantastic the past few games. i think eboue and song will be very good for us this season.

Was just saying this to my mate last night...
    Lets just hope he doesnt f*ck off to AC Milan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Pulled off three great saves also, am very happy with him.

I totally agree. He's developing into a smashing goal keeper.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement