Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

poor result for arsenal there midweek. would have expected more but back to winning ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Most improved players so far: Eboue, Song and Denilson - really something that we needed this year.

(obviously it's early days and we did have that Fulham game but I was worried for a while that it might be a lot worse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gotta admit I was a bit confused with Wenger's decision at half time to play Sagna on the left (where he didnt look himself) and Djourou on the right (he just wasn't marking that Bolton sub guy with the massive dreadlocks) .
    I would have taught leaving Sagna at RB and put Gallas on the left (he's played there before) would have been the more obvious option. Maybe Wenger wanted to keep his captain in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Galvasean wrote: »
    Gotta admit I was a bit confused with Wenger's decision at half time to play Sagna on the left (where he didnt look himself) and Djourou on the right (he just wasn't marking that Bolton sub guy with the massive dreadlocks) .
    I would have taught leaving Sagna at RB and put Gallas on the left (he's played there before) would have been the more obvious option. Maybe Wenger wanted to keep his captain in the middle.

I am a big fan of Gardner, I thought he played very well yesterday. He keeps that up he will be on his way out from Bolton should they struggle this year. Sagna is such a wondefully versatile player. I thought he looked good on the left yesterday even though the right is his position. Another possibility for Wenger should Clichy/Traore (when he returns from Pompey) pick up injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Gardner is ****, and hasn't been good since 2002, the year Bolton came up. I doubt Bolton would be reluctant to let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

My guess would be that he's trying to break up the Toure/Gallas paring as little as possible.
    I dunno if its just me but they look much shakier than they did last year...

Gardner is ****, and hasn't been good since 2002, the year Bolton came up. I doubt Bolton would be reluctant to let him go.

I'm sure he has had bad performances in the past. 10 years at Bolton now, but I thought he looked very dangerous yesterday. When he does finish playing at least he can concentrate on Jamaica's Dancehall scene. Read he is a promoter of a record label.

Anybody hazzard a guess as to what will be our team against Sheff Utd on Tues will be?

Attention turns to Wednesday. Whose it gonna be?

Fabianski

Eboue
    Djourou---Silvestre----Gibbs

Walcott---Ramsey---Song----Wilshire

Vela----Bendtner

:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

At a guess...

Fabianski

Hoyte Djourou Song Gibbs

Lansbury Randall Ramsey Wilshere

Bendtner Vela

I don't think Silvestre will be fit for Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Seriously i want whatever song is on. He's been fantastic the past few games. i think eboue and song will be very good for us this season.

I was at the game yesterday and Song was awful. Gave the ball away constantly and fouled whatever player he was trying to get it back off. He's getting away with it coz he happens to be playing beside a guy who's in a different class a the moment. It was an absolute pleasure to watch Fab play. Up and down the pitch constantly. His defensive game has improved massively.

I don't agree with that. His passing was a bit wayward in the second half at times but defensively he was solid; positionally he is a lot better at shielding the defence than pretty much anyone else in the squad. Also Denilson outperformed Cesc, who hasn't really gotten going yet.

Anyway, the old frailities remain and I expect they will catch up with us eventually but I'm going to enjoy it while I can. Saturday's game highlighted to me that the squad has more strength in depth than people give it credit for. Winning 3-1 away to Bolton while playing some brilliant football, and it was done without a lot of good players - no van Persie, Eduardo, Rosicky, Nasri etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I don't think Silvestre will be fit for Tuesday.
    And I hope you're right that Theo will be rested/considered beyond Carling Cup duty as well - think Hull at home next week could be a good match for him in the form he's in.
    Also Denilson outperformed Cesc, who hasn't really gotten going yet.
    I agree that Cesc is behind but it's no surprise really, given his summer schedule and late return. And with the way Arsenal's fixtures fall, I'm happy for others to carry a bit of the burden for a bit while he gets himself sharp. Out of curiosity, though, what way did the midfield line up the other day (only saw highlights so couldn't really tell)?

Frisbee wrote: »
    My guess would be that he's trying to break up the Toure/Gallas paring as little as possible.
    I dunno if its just me but they look much shakier than they did last year...

They looked pretty shakey in the later stages of last season too.

Moe, our midfield was Eboue (left), Fabregas, Song, Denilson (right). Although a fair bit of switching occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Also Denilson outperformed Cesc, who hasn't really gotten going yet.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that about Cesc. I think he is playing a much more controlled game along side the others. he's not as willing to try that through ball it seems because neither Denilson or Song still have the effectiveness at stemming potential counters that Flamini did.
    Saturday's game highlighted to me that the squad has more strength in depth than people give it credit for. Winning 3-1 away to Bolton while playing some brilliant football, and it was done without a lot of good players - no van Persie, Eduardo, Rosicky, Nasri etc.

i've been saying that for a while now. the lack of experience in midfield is still apparent at times, but both Song and Denilson have shown us that they are more than capable of claiming the free starting spot along side Cesc.

I'm more worried about the CBs though. It's ironic isn't it? the partnership of the two most experienced players on the team and they are arguably the most vulnerable part of the team. Watching Kolo and Gallas on Saturday and then comparing them to Ferdinand on Sunday; it becomes really apparent that they aren't half as commanding enough, not strong enough, their positional sense isn't good enough and considering the backline is comprised entirely of native French speakers they don't communicate half as well as they should. When Clichy went off it becomes really obvious how he's able to bail them out so much with his pace. I really don't see how the team can win anything with Toure and Gallas as the pairing.

but then the big question is, who can Arsene replace them with?

but then the big question is, who can Arsene replace them with?

Ezequiel Garay would be nice... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I think Cesc has played well so far without hitting the heights of the first two thirds of last season. I'm also happy enough at how Denilison and Song have preformed, and while there is obviously room for improvement in the centre of midfield, the potential for a good partnership is definetely there. I've also been very pleased by Eboue's performances so far, seems alot more focused and mature. (Honestly never thought I'd say that :p)

Fully agree that the centre back pairing is looking very vulnerable at the moment, there doesn't seem to be the hunger or will to dominate the penalty area.

This is going to sound strange considering he already has three league goals to his name, but I've been really disappointed with Adebayor. He is nowhere near clinical enough at the moment and has at times seemed uninterested.

Wreck wrote: »
    I've been really disappointed with Adebayor. He is nowhere near clinical enough at the moment and has at times seemed uninterested.
    Adebayor is never anywhere near clinical enough - he scored the amount he did last year by virtue of how many chances he got. But in an Arsenal team these days, that's often enough. Haven't seen as much as I'd have liked of the matches so far but to me, he's looked like he's working pretty hard for the team?

Ezequiel Garay would be nice... :p

nah... Garay's PA is only 170 :p

• Advertisement

nah... Garay's PA is only 170 :p

I cant believe it took me like 30 seconds to get that...

I cant believe it took me like 30 seconds to get that...

for shame...

Fabregas' defensive game seems to have improved a fair bit. Although he hasn't been as extrovert in attack.

for shame...

Im sorry. Can you ever forgive me?

Also, anyone know if the Carling Cup game is being televised tomorrow night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Sadly not on any European channels anyway. Will be looking for a stream and if that fails then Arsenal TV will have to do on Wednesday.

Arsenal TV's coverage is a day late? Bah! I think I'll keep my €20 per month.

edit: news; Djourou signs new long term contract. fair play to the guy.

Plus Wenger set to play youngest CC team EVER. Hope it doesn't horribly backfire..
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-to-name-arsenal-s-youngest-ever-side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Plus Wenger set to play youngest CC team EVER. Hope it doesn't horribly backfire..
    [/url]

Worst i can see happen is we get to the final. Getting knocked out meh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

A confidential letter given to all Arsenal's players ahead of their 3-1 at Bolton was left lying around the team's hotel. In it manager Arsene Wenger stresses the importance of being a team, before listing 14 bullet points all about the team's ethos, including: "Believe in the strength of the team", "Be fresh and well prepared to win", and "Stay grounded as a player and as a person". (Various)

Would love to see the full letter, anyone seen it anywhere?

Wreck wrote: »
    Would love to see the full letter, anyone seen it anywhere?

Here ya go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Arsenal TV's coverage is a day late? Bah! I think I'll keep my €20 per month.

Arsenal TV only ever show senior matches a day later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I don't agree with that. His passing was a bit wayward in the second half at times but defensively he was solid; positionally he is a lot better at shielding the defence than pretty much anyone else in the squad. Also Denilson outperformed Cesc, who hasn't really gotten going yet.

Anyway, the old frailities remain and I expect they will catch up with us eventually but I'm going to enjoy it while I can. Saturday's game highlighted to me that the squad has more strength in depth than people give it credit for. Winning 3-1 away to Bolton while playing some brilliant football, and it was done without a lot of good players - no van Persie, Eduardo, Rosicky, Nasri etc.

I dont really agree with you here. He wasnt really required defensively that much, Cesc done more in that department. Look at his challenge that set up the second goal. Most of what Bolton threw at us was aerial and bypassed the midfield. regarading his passing, it wasnt like he was giving the ball away with 50 yard passes. Most of his bad ones were simple 10-15 yard balls, with no pressure on. Anyway, we'll agree to disagree.

• Advertisement

Squad numbers for the players in tonight's squad:

12, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 24, 26, 35, 38, 40, 41, 42, 43, 46, 47, 50, 56

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Here is the young guns predicted team for tonight, I reckon it's probably what we will see (maybe Djourou and Hoyte will swap)

Fabianski
    Djourou (c) - Hoyte - Song - Gibbs
    Lansbury - Randall - Ramsey - Wilshere
    Bendtner - Vela

game isn't on TV so might have to go to a p2p site to watch it i'd say

Oh and Platini STFU and stop throwing petty accusations at our manager :mad:

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Here is the young guns predicted team for tonight, I reckon it's probably what we will see (maybe Djourou and Hoyte will swap)

Fabianski
    Djourou (c) - Hoyte - Song - Gibbs
    Lansbury - Randall - Ramsey - Wilshere
    Bendtner - Vela

game isn't on TV so might have to go to a p2p site to watch it i'd say

Oh and Platini STFU and stop throwing petty accusations at our manager :mad:
    That's exactly what I predicted earlier too, although with Dj and Hoyte swapped as you've said. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilshere and Lansbury swap sides during the game also.

Looking forward to seeing Lansbury in action actually, he wasn't up to much in pre-season but he was just coming back from a long stretch out.

"I am an attacking midfielder and I prefer to play in the centre but I am playing on the right until I get a bit bigger," he explained. "Then hopefully I can push into the centre. I like to model myself a bit on Steven Gerrard, he's a great player."

I've heard him be compared to Gerrard before alright. Would be nice if he could develop to that kind of standard!

Merida starts instead of Lansbury, otherwise it is as predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sky sports news are saying that Arsenal kids have been outstanding first half, can't wait to watch the match on Arsenal tv later at midnight.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Sky sports news are saying that Arsenal kids have been outstanding first half, can't wait to watch the match on Arsenal tv later at midnight.

Sure thing that's for sure. Last time I checked it we were 1-0 up. Refreshed the page and it is now 3-0. Terrific performance. Can anybody tell me if Sheff Utd have a full strength team out there tonight?

DenMan wrote: »
    Sure thing that's for sure. Last time I checked it we were 1-0 up. Refreshed the page and it is now 3-0. Terrific performance. Can anybody tell me if Sheff Utd have a full strength team out there tonight?

According to ssn , they have a full team out.

Going to town alright. Just saw 5-0 appear on the screen, Jack Wilshere. Brilliant performance young Gunnners.

I think I might stay up for highlights on ATVO tonight!

• Advertisement

So glad I got VELA 12 on the back of my shirt.
    :cool:
    The future is bright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

What a result :)
    Can't wait to see the goals
    They are raving about Vela on SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Anywhere I can see the highlights tonight??? Don't have Arsenal TV, I'm on NTHell

Anywhere I can see the highlights tonight??? Don't have Arsenal TV, I'm on NTHell

Sky sports 1 has highlights of all matches at midnight.

Vela :eek: three great finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Holy shít. Was out all night. Got home to see it was 6-0. Was not expecting that. Outstanding.

I'm always waiting for Arsenal to go out in the first round and for that to screw up the young players seasons, but it never seems to happen.

Full match about to start now on Arsenal tv.

Vela's first was.. dare I say it.. Henryesque. The second, pure cheek. The third, also very good.
    This guy is gonna be special.

Vela's first was.. dare I say it.. Henryesque. The second, pure cheek. The third, also very good.
    This guy is gonna be special.

Looked so comfortable/calm finishing, the future looks good.

• Advertisement

So glad I got VELA 12 on the back of my shirt.
    :cool:
    The future is bright

+1
    Very smug smile on my face right now... :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement