Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I remember the staff at Elvery's asked me who this Vela guy was.
    I responded,
    "Soon the world shall know his name" :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

My experience in Champion Sports was more like:

"Who do you want on it?"

"Vela. 12"

"Who?"

"Vela. V-e-l-a. 12"

*followed by massively confused look by store employee because I didnt want Fabregas as she toddles off to do it for me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

hmmm... i'm tempted to get an Arsenal jersey just to wear his name on me back after this.

it's a coin-toss between him and Eboué. :pac:

it's a coin-toss between him and Eboué. :pac:

For the love of god tell me thats a joke!!!

Did you see his second goal. Absolute class. The way he took the ball down, that defender must still be wondering where Vela's got to.
    And what a finish, cool as you like...
    Carlos Vela = My Hero :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »

Cheers, gonna be up watching this all night....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Fantastic performance by all on the field. Hope Song isn't hurt. Carlos Vela though, WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Vela's 2nd was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Aw. Now everyone knows who he is. :(

Been a while since he announced himself in that World Youth Cup, and I seriously envy Arsenal for having him. I wish United did more to secure players like him, but all I can do is hope.

Well done the Gooners at least. Nice to see young talent play so well, irregardless of teams. And Wenger's plan is truly admirable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Wow, couldn't stay up to watch highlights last night but spend the first 20 minutes in work this morning drooling over the performance and Vela in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Cheers for the youtube link. What a performance :eek: ............exquisite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

You've made it when you have a song :cool:

This was on one of the blogs this morning

When I was just a little boy,
    I asked my father what will he be?
    Is he like Wrighty or Titi Henry, Here’s what he said to me…
    Oh Vela, Vela, Our Mexican superstar…He’s better than Cantona! Oh Vela Vela…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Galvasean wrote: »
    Vela's first was.. dare I say it.. Henryesque.
    Exactly what I thought when I saw it. Himself and Bendtner really do seem to enjoy playing together, they worked well pre-season too - very promising. And that second was right up there with Bergkamp against Leicester or Pires against Villa. Class.

From what I saw, Ramsey and Wilshere linked a lot of play very well. Pity about Lansbury though, he was out for a long time last year and it would have been good for him to be back as part of that sort of performance.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I watched the first 65 minutes of the game last night before switching to the highlights and going to bed. Some of the football truly was exceptional and this is certainly the best crop of youngsters we’ve ever had at the club, especially considering young first teamers Fabregas, Nasri, Walcott and Denilson didn’t feature, while four more of the club’s brightest prospects in Nordtveit, Traore, Barazite and Pedro Botelho are away on loan.

Lukasz Fabianski – I don’t think he had a save to make, so there isn’t much to form an opinion on. He was commanding though and caught pretty much everything. It’s funny, not long ago a lot of gooners would have been very worried about our keepers, but Almunia is getting better and better while our second choice keeper has become Poland’s #1 now that Boruc is in the doghouse. He’s no kid but he is young for a keeper and he looks the part.

Kieran Gibbs – I think this fella can become the new Ashley Cole – hopefully not in the whoring himself to Chelsea sense – but in the sense that he wasn’t really rated in the younger age groups but forged a good Arsenal career for himself through hard work and taking his chances when they came to him. He was solid defensively and he contributed a lot going forward last night, which perhaps isn’t surprising as he is naturally a midfielder. He isn’t a spectacular player but he is a good all-rounder, works hard and is very versatile.

Johan Djourou – Rewarded with a new contract yesterday and he continued his run of good form. He had a couple of moments when he looked like he might get himself into a muddle, but recovered each time. He is getting more aggressive and better in the air which is good to see, and he kept Beattie quiet. I’m still not sure he’s really a solution to the Gallas/Toure problem though.

Alex Song – Typically composed and low-key again. Worked well with Djourou and kept things simple. Not much to say really. He’s a good player and it showed that he was a first team squad player.

Gavin Hoyte – He’s more of a centre-back than a right-back and it showed a bit as he looked fairly average going forward when compared to Gibbs on the other flank. Defensively he did everything required though and I think he has a little bit more about him than his older brother Justin. Still isn’t one of the brighter prospects mind you.

Fran Merida – The victim of the hype pendulum – swinging from absurdly over the top to being highly underrated – had a good game last night. He linked play nicely and played some terrific pacey, arrowing cross-field passes that reminded me of Xabi Alonso. Otherwise he reminded me Tomas Rosicky when he plays on the right side; not really able to cut in as he’s a lefty on the left, but still provides an interesting option with his passing range from a wide position. He’ll certainly be a very good player.

Aaron Ramsey – Overshadowed by the goal scorers but he really was outstanding. Occasionally guilty of making some dubious decisions but his technical ability and vision are unquestionable. Created two goals and ran the show. Very Fabregas-esque.

Mark Randall – Good game. Largely deferred to Ramsey but played some lovely football himself and won the ball back quite a few times with some well timed tackles. His vision and attacking ability aren’t at the same level as the Welshman but this was the best I’ve seen from him defensively and the Carrick-type role seemed to suit him quite well.

Jack Wilshere – Did he misplace a pass all game? Linked play very well, made some great darting runs with and without the ball, and scored a good goal. A great first start by the 16 year old.

Nicklas Bendtner – Ridiculously underrated by a lot of people, but performances like this one and the one against Bolton will change that eventually. I think he’s probably the most intelligent striker the club and has formed a good understanding with all his strike partners. He creates a lot for the rest of the team with his combination of aerial power, strength and vision, but he is also able to put them away himself. 4 goals and 2 assists in 7 appearances so far this season – not bad.

Carlos Vela – What can you say? Models his game on Ronaldo (the original one) and you can see the similarities. He’s quick, has good upper body strength, has great touch, intelligent movement, can run with the ball and is a natural finisher. van Persie and Eduardo had better watch out.

I noticed before the game Wenger compared Vela to Eduardo.

So now he's part; Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Eduardo, Cantona, Ronaldo... the ultimate player! :eek:

I know I'm being a bit fantastical, but lets throw out teh media comparisons to see what kind of a eam we will have in 5 years. Players and their 'next' comparison.

Fabianski - 'goalkeeper who never has to make a save in his long and illustrious career'

Kieran Gibbs - 'Ashley Cole'

Fran Merida - 'Thomas Rosicky'

Henri Lansbury - 'Stephen Gerrard'

Theo Walcott - 'Thierry Henry'

Aaron Ramsey - 'Fabregas'

Denilson - 'another Fabregas'

Fabregas - 'Xavi'

Mark Randall - 'Michael Carrick'

Jack Wilshire - 'Theo Walcott'

Samir Nasri - 'Christiano Ronaldo'

Nicklas Bendtner - 'Adebayor'

Carlos Vela - 'God'

Wouldnt mind taht team :P

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    You've made it when you have a song :cool:

This was on one of the blogs this morning

When I was just a little boy,
    I asked my father what will he be?
    Is he like Wrighty or Titi Henry, Here’s what he said to me…
    Oh Vela, Vela, Our Mexican superstar…He’s better than Cantona! Oh Vela Vela…

*robbed for sig*
    Nicklas Bendtner - 'Adebayor

Im hoping he's gonna be better than Adebayor...
    Carlos Vela - 'God'

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

not too many defending players in that team. We'd be winning 6-5 every week. Your name isn't Ossie Ardilles by any chance is it?

not too many defending players in that team. We'd be winning 6-5 every week. Your name isn't Ossie Ardilles by any chance is it?

Zat is zee beautiful game

Okay, Nordveit, the next tony Adams :P

Chelsea sign Mineiro until end of season. Would he have improved our squad????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The thing about Arsenal is that the whole is always more than the sum of its parts. Some of Arsenals players were outstanding, and I'd wager a majority of those players will make it in the premiership, with 4-5 making it at Arsenal. That would be an amazing return.

• Advertisement

Before the season started I would have said yes, definitely.
    But seeing now how capable Song is of the DM/mop-up role I wouldnt be too pushed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Just watched the highlights there and this Vela lad looks a player alright. I'd never even heard of him until quite recently. Wenger has unearthed another gem. What he did for the second goal showed a Ronaldo-like cockiness and belief in his own ability that only the very best players have. To hammer a decent Sheffield United team 6-0 with a bunch of kids was some result, the future looks bright at Arsenal if they can hang onto these players.

I doubt it personally.
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    the future looks bright at Arsenal if they can hang onto these players.
    That's the key. If Wenger can keep them all together then it is only a matter of time before the trophies start coming to Emirates... but the players have to be kept, otherwise we'll be in a constant state of transition.

Wenger said he reckoned we were premiership quality in every position on Tuesday and I see what he means. If he can keep all his current players I don't think he'll have to make many signings at all over the next few years.

Wenger said he reckoned we were premiership quality in every position on Tuesday and I see what he means. If he can keep all his current players I don't think he'll have to make many signings at all over the next few years.

The midfield and attack certainly was top level looking. However the defense probably wouldn't be all that great. With some more time and experience possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

how mcuh did Vela cost ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

About £2.5 million I think.

~2.5 Million if I remember correctly

Mr Alan wrote: »
    how mcuh did Vela cost ye?

Pennies! Mwahahha!!!!!!

Well TBH i've heard everything from £200k to £2.5million. Either way bargain.

Lets not get things out of hand on vela, remember baptista and anfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I personally feel that Vela will be at Real Madrid within 3 years and will be getting World Player of the Year nominations.

If Vela turns out to be anything at all like Baptista (in terms of quality while at Arsenal) then I'll eat my own poo.

As I recall, Vela cost $4m, which was about £2.2m at the time. A fair few bob for a fella who was barely 16, but then he had just fired Mexico to the U17 WC title so I guess it wasn’t too much of a gamble. Looks well worth it now!

I’m loving the Walcott brothers at the mo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

vela is a completely different player. i watched him through pre season and saw the entire game the other night. His movement is much better than bapista. he seems to have alot more energy about the place and his finishing is miles better. IMO they are not inn the same league. Vela will be huge. mark my words.

Absolutely we shouldn't get carried away but Baptista never looked that good before or since for Arsenal while Vela's looked good and lively all pre-season too. Plus he wouldn't have missed the peno :D

Draupnir wrote: »
    I personally feel that Vela will be at Real Madrid within 3 years and will be getting World Player of the Year nominations.

I refuse to let that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Draupnir wrote: »

why? has he a Real Madrid connection?

don't be getting ahead of yourselves lads. Vela still has an awful lot of development to do before he'll be reaching the lofty heights of WPY nominations, particular on the more physical aspects of the game.

personally, he reminds me Scholes as a youngster, i think he'll end up a playing deeper as he matures. His time playing for Osasuna on the left showed there's much more to his game.

• Advertisement

On a slightly different note, watched Fever Pitch again last night with my girlfriend who was asking whether or not Mickey Thomas' goal had really happened. Inspired by Emma Thompson getting into the Arsenal thing, she then asked for my favourite Arsenal goals since... so:

(1) Dennis Bergkamp v Newcastle - my favourite goal of all time bar none,
    from my favourite player of all time bar none. Pure genius from the only man who you KNOW without a shadow of a doubt meant to do it.

In dutch, but best picture quality by a mile:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_zDqlYJtzA

(2) Dennis Bergkamp v Leicester - the third goal in one of the great hat-tricks
    (and a dress rehearsal of sorts for the goal he scored for Holland against Argentina in the 98 World Cup). Even apart from the skill, this earned
    Arsenal a point in a 3-3 draw at the start of the 97-98 double-winning season
    and helped Bergkamp take the first 3 spots in Match of the Day's Goal of
    the Month competition, the only time one player has done this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPJU8LaNfw

(3) Tony Adams v Everton - the 4th goal of the 4-0 win against Everton that
    sealed the title in 1998. From the captain of the club after his successful
    fightback from alcoholism, including a spell in prison for drink-driving, this gives me the shivers every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W6ACn-LJkE

(4) Robert Pires v Villa - not a particularly meaningful goal from what I remember but incredibly skilful, so much so that Andy Gray in commentary started clapping. Plus it made ex-United keeper Peter Schmeichel look VERY silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVzSSPB4JA

(5) Ian Wright v Bolton - can't find a video of this one but part of a hat-trick early in 97-98 season to become the club's then-record goalscorer (before Thierry Henry). Thank Christ he managed to score again after the 178/179 fiasco.

(6) Thierry Henry v Man Utd - as Andy Gray said on commentary at the time, one of the best goals ever seen at Highbury. United still won the league that year though, otherwise this might be higher.

http://www.veoh.com/video/v14085543wwNK6Met

(7) Andy Linighan v Sheffield Wednesday - another one I can't find on video
    but this was my live Michael Thomas moment. Andy Linighan, who did feck all
    else of note in his Arsenal career, with a goal to win the 1993 FA Cup -
    in the last minute of extra time in the replay. Luckily for Linighan, Tony didn't give him the Steve Morrow 'Cup-Winner Special'.

(8) David Platt v Man Utd - a vital moment in October or so of that 97-98
    season. Arsenal beat defending champions United 3-2 in a true statement of intent. Watched with 3 United fans :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGMYgL7b4Ug

(9) Thierry Henry v Charlton - unreal cheek from Arsenal's greatest ever
    goalscorer at the absolute peak of his skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccAQWeeUsZ0&feature=related

(10) Robin van Persie v Inter Milan - only a preseason friendly (otherwise
    this'd maybe be higher) but well worth a place on the list. Like the first
    goal, might not look much straight away but what he does with his foot is
    almost unnatural. Here it is in good quality slo-mo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsbLjpAhiS0&feature=related

(11) Alan Smith v Parma - after winning both domestic cups in 1993, Arsenal
    won the European Cup-Winners' Cup in 1994. 1-0 in the final against Parma,
    very George Graham. We won't talk about what happened when they got to the final again in 1995.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Xis15i2Yc

(12) Thierry Henry v Liverpool - phenomenal pace and skill even if the intensity on his face after he scores kind of scares me. Part of a really important win towards the end of the 'Invincibles' season when I was beginning to think we'd go unbeaten but come second in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n3wjkse0tA&feature=related

And because I was at the game (bottom left corner of the screen as you look!), I'm also going to include another goal he got against Liverpool. Unreal pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL12GItKeTw

Honourable mentions also go to two 'nearly moments':

(1) Sol Campbell's header to put Arsenal ahead in the 2006 Champions League
    final. Went to Paris with my Arsenal-supporting brothers for this but were priced out of tickets. Pretty quiet trip home the next day after the loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3v9yuYP2g

(2) Emmanuel Adebayor's goal in last season's Champions League quarter-final
    against Liverpool. Just for Theo Walcott's run - incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShSm5fe2DEg

And a bit of light relief from the master to finish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4O37fQgs8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks mate, some great memories there, thats for sure. Here is another.

RVP against Charlton Athletic. Amazing technique and balance.

Oh God I miss Robert Pires. Does anybody remember his goal against Southampton, after Arsenal had blown the league in 02/03. Himself and Pennant (shudder) got hat tricks in a 6-1 win.

It was a cracking goal but nobody ever remembers it because of the irrelevance of the game.

Oh God I miss Robert Pires. Does anybody remember his goal against Southampton, after Arsenal had blown the league in 02/03. Himself and Pennant (shudder) got hat tricks in a 6-1 win.
    Yeah, class strike. Forgot that was the same game as the Pennant hat-trick though - I remember vaguely thinking that Pennant might finally make something of himself after that :o

Worst thing about that win was the struggle 3 weeks later to beat them in the Cup final.

This wright classic. Quality is'nt great. Remember watching it in the pub and being absolutely dumbfounded.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yjyWAexQq4

Or this limpar one in the 4-0 trouncing of the pool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6mW43iDVZY

Pires villa goal was pretty important it kept us ahead of united, beautiful especially because it was schmeichael that he did it to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    (1) Sol Campbell's header to put Arsenal ahead in the 2006 Champions League
    final. Went to Paris with my Arsenal-supporting brothers for this but were priced out of tickets. Pretty quiet trip home the next day after the loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3v9yuYP2g

Was lucky enough to be there and with a ticket from the club, tickets were really gold dust on the day, heard of tickets changing for mad sums. I had to collect my ticket at the stadium earlier in the day and am glad I bought a match programme as they were all sold out well before kick off, people were buying them by the box. Great goal by Sol, I really thought we would hang on, my memory of the night was the pouring rain, thunder and lightning. Great trip to Paris that I will never forget, happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jesus, I'd forgotten how bad Almunia was for both goals...

We really should have won it, Titi was through on Valdes at least twice iirc during the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Morning Arsenal fans.

Please support http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055385950&page=2, its for pick the Boards Team of the season.

The reason I am calling upon you guys is Marc Overmars Arsenal legend has returned to play for Go Ahead Eagles.

Go Ahead Eagles is our Nominee.

Relive the glory days of Overmars.

Ha, that's mad. He was a legend, albeit a brief one at Arsenal.

Wasn't gonna bother with that adopt a team thread but I'll vote for team Overmars now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Legend Royale with Cheese!!

Go Eagles, and Go Team OVERMARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Ok I now also support the Go Ahead Eagles
    Go Eagles !!

** added to sig **

Ah, good old Marc Overmars.

I think it's fair to say after the performance today against hull that it accurate to state that Arsenal cannot finish off a game and cannot handle pressure put on them by any kind of physical side. It might sound a bit knee jerk to say such a thing after being heaping out so much praise in midweek for their drubbing of sheff utd but in the premiership, our bread and butter, the above statement is more than justified. It reminded me of a statement about the great Dennis Bergkamp, form is temporary but class is permanent. With the exception of Cesc who have we got that is world class. We have great prospects coming through but that didn''t help us today against hull. I may be blinded by a mixture of embarressment and anger ATM but is it acceptable to ask us, the fans, to endure such times in the hope that these prospects flourish.

I know there will be some that state it's the performance that counts, and we did pretty much dominate against Hull but we didn't get the result. At this stage I'd take a few scrappy wins over some dominating defeats. We've gone too far from the 1-0 to the Arsenal.

I think it's fair to say after the performance today against hull that it accurate to state that Arsenal cannot finish off a game and cannot handle pressure put on them by any kind of physical side. It might sound a bit knee jerk to say such a thing after being heaping out so much praise in midweek for their drubbing of sheff utd but in the premiership, our bread and butter, the above statement is more than justified. It reminded me of a statement about the great Dennis Bergkamp, form is temporary but class is permanent. With the exception of Cesc who have we got that is world class. We have great prospects coming through but that didn''t help us today against hull. I may be blinded by a mixture of embarressment and anger ATM but is it acceptable to ask us, the fans, to endure such times in the hope that these prospects flourish.

I know there will be some that state it's the performance that counts, and we did pretty much dominate against Hull but we didn't get the result. At this stage I'd take a few scrappy wins over some dominating defeats. We've gone too far from the 1-0 to the Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DenMan wrote: »
    Thanks mate, some great memories there, thats for sure. Here is another.

RVP against Charlton Athletic. Amazing technique and balance.

He shinned it - clearly came off his shin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement