Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ramsey has scored a beauty and has set up Wales second goal. He really is going to be a top top player imo. Just adds to the dissapointment that ye got him ahead of United. :(
    Watching the game myself,

His goal was Quality, and the pass to set up wales 2nd goal was perfect, shows great promise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Anyone else see ramsey in the under 21s....cant believe how good the boy is jesus! Cesc 2! it ould be typical wenger to have fabs replacement already lined up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

based on the read up sounds like Ramsey ran the show. Imagine that another Cesc, we should be so lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Frisbee wrote: »
    In that case Eduardo would be a no-brainer.
    Obviously they offer different roles to the team
    What I said about Eduardo's form was just a side point - my main point is that while Eduardo on top form might shift Van Persie out of the team, I don't think he'll ever shift Adebayor so that the first choice combo is Van Persie-Eduardo. For me, that'd seem like too big a change to the way the team is set up this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Would it not be that Eduardo is in competition with Van Persie for a place, and to a lesser extent Vela, and that Bendtner would be the first choice replacement for Adebayor?

It seems Wenger likes the physical/skillful striker combo. Although it's been so long since I've seen Eduardo play I've forgotten really what his style is like. More of a poacher than Van Persie is anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Ye guys probably have seen it..

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1665691/

he played well from all accounts.

Would it not be that Eduardo is in competition with Van Persie for a place, and to a lesser extent Vela, and that Bendtner would be the first choice replacement for Adebayor?

It seems Wenger likes the physical/skillful striker combo. Although it's been so long since I've seen Eduardo play I've forgotten really what his style is like. More of a poacher than Van Persie is anyway.
    Exactly - I don't think Eduardo-Van Persie will (or should) ever be the first-choice pairing this year, it'd be too much of a change.

I see abou diaby is in contention for the everton game - i reckon we'll finally see over next couple of games whether Wenger really needs to get a holding midfielder in january depending on diaby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I see abou diaby is in contention for the everton game - i reckon we'll finally see over next couple of games whether Wenger really needs to get a holding midfielder in january depending on diaby

Diaby isn't really a holding midfielder.....

• Advertisement

Diaby isn't really a holding midfielder.....
    Agreed. It'll actually be interesting to see where he ends up playing if he ever gets a decent run of games - don't think we've seen the best of him yet but I'm not sure we ever will on the left side. Having said that, I find it hard to see him playing 'in the hole' anytime soon, even though it's possibly where he's best suited.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Agreed. It'll actually be interesting to see where he ends up playing if he ever gets a decent run of games - don't think we've seen the best of him yet but I'm not sure we ever will on the left side. Having said that, I find it hard to see him playing 'in the hole' anytime soon, even though it's possibly where he's best suited.

Yeah he's definitely wasted on the left, agree 100% on that.
    His best position is going to be in the middle with license to go forward, or playing in the hole ala Hleb.
    Its gonna be tough for him to get into the team now ahead of the likes of walcott/nasri/denilson...

tred wrote: »
    Ye guys probably have seen it..

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1665691/

he played well from all accounts.

Woah, scorcher! :eek: bear in mind that's his weak foot.
    The little lay on he did for him self was great.
    Plus a great pass for the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anyone know if our players have had an injury free international night?

billy gallas an sagna are still doubts for the weekend an cesc broke his nose but i think he can play with that?? possibly more worrying were his comments regarding the team - "I scored 13 goals last season but then I had plenty of allies. Tomas Rosicky was around, Mathieu Flamini covered every blade of grass and Alexander Hleb was like a brother to me out there. Now none of those players are in the side and I feel like a rare being. We are more defensive-minded and sturdy as a team but we don't play so much skilful stuff.".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

possibly more worrying were his comments regarding the team - "I scored 13 goals last season but then I had plenty of allies. Tomas Rosicky was around, Mathieu Flamini covered every blade of grass and Alexander Hleb was like a brother to me out there. Now none of those players are in the side and I feel like a rare being. We are more defensive-minded and sturdy as a team but we don't play so much skilful stuff.".

Not too surprising, if true! Pretty much how every Arsenal fan feels!

• Advertisement

"I scored 13 goals last season but then I had plenty of allies. Tomas Rosicky was around, Mathieu Flamini covered every blade of grass and Alexander Hleb was like a brother to me out there. Now none of those players are in the side and I feel like a rare being. We are more defensive-minded and sturdy as a team but we don't play so much skilful stuff.".

He just sounds fed up to be honest, and to be honest I can see why. He's a world class player (dare I use the world superstar without lumping him into the same category as the likes of David Beckham?) who is playing in a team of, undoubtedly competent, but not great players. Who else in our team could be described as someone at the top of the list in their position?

Clichy, Sagna...... Thats pretty much it.
    Walcott and RVP when their on form. Otherwise look at alot of our players:

Almunia: Good Shot stopper, vastly imporved over the last year, happy with him as our keeper.

Gallas: Temperamental prima-donna who has gone off the boil lately

Toure: Out of form like Gallas, someone of his stature should not disappear on corners

Clichy + Sagna: Nothing bad to say about either (except maybe Sagna could do with an extra few inches of height)

Denilson: Going to be great, not there yet. Still learning and can fade out of a game.

Song: Great prospect, however like Denilson, can disappear, or make big mistakes *cough* Leadbitter *cough*

Eboue: Waste of Space

Nasri: Impressed with what I've seen so far

Rosicknote: Ala Ronseal

Walcott: Amazing when on his game. Game only found every once in a while.

Fab: Great

Ade: Extremeley patchy. Least clinical man to ever score 30 goals in a season imo. Infuriating with the amount of times he's offside.

RVP: When he turns it on he's amazing. Absolutely superb technically, typical Dutch forward. Hasn't seemed to have a good run of form in a while. And while he's been fairly injury free lately we all know that could change at any time.

Rotation Players:

Djourou: Showed great promise at the start of the season. I think Gallas or Toure (preferably Gallas) should be dropped for one game to give Djourou a chance.

Diaby: Coming back from injury, looked promising last season when not played on the left where he's wasted.

Ramsey: Ok not strictly a rotation player but looks like he's going to be a cracking player. Him and Cesc in the centre in 2 years (if we still have Cesc...) is orgasmic for me, if not a little too attacking...

Bendtner: Playing better than Ade at the moment but still stuck on the subs bench.

Vela: My adoration of him aside he needs a better chance to prove himself in the first season, I'd like to see him start in our next game against an easy-ish opposition. (Which is Stoke)

[/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Gallas, Sagna and Bendtner all out for the next week. Djourou and Fab carrying knocks too. Is it just me or do we always seem to get more than a few injuries after internationals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Yep all out this weekend. Time for the likes of Diaby, Ramsey, Vela, Silvestre and Djourou to start this weekend I hope. Can Vela play in Midfield or just behind the main striker? Or is he an out and out striker?

I think hes an out an out striker having said that he played left wing alot in spain when on loan

DenMan wrote: »
    Yep all out this weekend. Time for the likes of Diaby, Ramsey, Vela, Silvestre and Djourou to start this weekend I hope. Can Vela play in Midfield or just behind the main striker? Or is he an out and out striker?

I doubt Vela will be in the squad, it will depend on what time he got back to London, I recall Wenger saying before that because of travel he would always be availabe for selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Everton this weekend, I think this is the 1st league game this season not on setanta or sky :mad:
    Aw well, to the internet

I reckon the team will probably be:

Almunia
    Eboue Silvestre Toure Clichy
    Walcott Fab Denilson Nasri
    RVP Ade

maybe if Djourou is ok after the concussion he will be in for Silvestre
    Hopefully we can have a good performance and win, at least no Cahill for Everton who has scored against us a few times

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I doubt Vela will be in the squad, it will depend on what time he got back to London, I recall Wenger saying before that because of travel he would always be availabe for selection.

Cool. Do you mean he is always unavailable for selection, because of the long travelling?

DenMan wrote: »
    Cool. Do you mean he is always unavailable for selection, because of the long travelling?

After a lot of internationals. He usually gets back late from Mexico matches due to the distance.

Right, unavailable I take it. Kinda figured that one out for myself.

Good result today. Wenger's half time team talk must have worked.
    Anyone see highlights yet? If they are online please share :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

meh... same old, same old today, just a different result. far too many wasted chances, and some awful defensive positioning at times. RVP should have had a hattrick. made all the more easier by the fact Everton were sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Just watching the stoke v scum game and was thinking. It's pretty obvious that we'll be lucky to win any trophies this season. But wat would you prefer: Arsenal to win a trophy or Spurs to be relegated?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

newbie2 wrote: »
    Just watching the stoke v scum game and was thinking. It's pretty obvious that we'll be lucky to win any trophies this season. But wat would you prefer: Arsenal to win a trophy or Spurs to be relegated?

trophy hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

That is too much of an offer....I'd swap FA or league cup for Spuds relegation as I have never gotten to experience it, a spurs fan who cant talk up their position.......but if it was the league or champions league I'd let them finish 17th.

Of course this would be dependent on our position having no baring on our lads....Fab not leaving and so on.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Has to be trophies. Sure you'd miss the excitement of the rivalry for the derbies and such if they get relegated. That said its still nice to know that however poor we are right now, no way can we get worse than them:D

ps whats with all the zoidy avatars here?:pac:

• Advertisement

That is too much of an offer....I'd swap FA or league cup for Spuds relegation

How??
    Why would you swap your team doing well for your rival doing poorly??
    You'd rather spite someone than have success for yourself? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Personally I'd hate to see Spurs get relegated. I love those matches. I love them even more that we've got a super record in them for the last 10ish years (bar that CC blip last year :o).

How??
    Why would you swap your team doing well for your rival doing poorly??
    You'd rather spite someone than have success for yourself? :confused:

I have supported Arsenal for 30 years, lived in Crouch End and went to a school inhabited by cocky Spurs supporters for the first 15 of them.....I supported Arsenal when they were worse than pathetic and listened to spuds harp on about Ricky Villa,Ossie Ardiles, the mong Gazza and the wonderful 1961 double..............don't be confused. I continue listening to them spout that their Careless Cup win last season is equal to our last ten years of success......I hope they have enough fight in them to comprehend the annihilation we will administer on the 29th....then I would love to see them drop.....I would consider moving back to London for the year just to hang around their fans...............

It'll be a long long time before Arsenal are as poor as they were in the early 80s.The opportunity to see the spuds drown in their own bull may never come again.

I hope that clears it up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

You need to lighten up a touch lad, they're only another team at the end of the day and a bad one at that.

cson wrote: »
    You need to lighten up a touch lad, they're only another team at the end of the day and a bad one at that.

Don't get me wrong, I mean it all in the lightest of tones, I would not be one to punch someone over football.......I just mean that I would rather enjoy if the old Spurs went down.....no doubt their fans would say the same about us United/city newcastle/sunderland and so on...

...I could live with at least one season of no North London derby knowing the spurs were gonna spend a whole year trying to get back up.....

I am not a hater.........I think it's all good fun.....and if a spud does see it as more than just fun then that is unfortunate for them.....it's called sport for a reason.No one dies.

I hope that clears it up for you.

It really doesnt. It seems you are more interested in the conflict we have with another team than the actual football Arsenal play.
    Don't get me wrong, I mean it all in the lightest of tones, I would not be one to punch someone over football...

Even despite of this quote

Trophies or relegated Spuds?

Can it be both?

Just back now, made the trip over on Saturday morning and got home not so long ago.

First time in the Emirates and I must say, it's very impressive. It was good to win the game, very disappointing first half, but no reason for booing! As for spitting and throwing stuff at the away fans, I definitely don't approve. That said, I was sitting in 120 and didn't spot any of that...too busy watching the game, I guess. One thing I did notice, is that the atmosphere is very disappointing...I know I didn't have the best seats in the hose for that side of the game, but it shouldn't really matter...I would have sang for the whole match if people around me would join in, that and I don't know many of the songs or have the Kahones to get them going.

There were plenty of positives, Clichy, Fabregas, Walcott, Nasri, Silvestre (excellent first game) were all very good.

The only negative thing that stood out for me is this. How can we afford to start Adebayor and Denilson in the form they're in??? I know we're short on numbers, but they were terrible and should be limited to bench roles while they continue to play like that!

Just interested to see what you all think?

With regards to Spurs, who cares...I'd prefer they stay up as they have good players and try to play good football. I get the whole rivalry thing if you're living in London, but not here in Ireland really!

jasonorr wrote: »

The only negative thing that stood out for me is this. How can we afford to start Adebayor

Thankyou...

• Advertisement

With regards to Spurs, who cares...I'd prefer they stay up as they have good players and try to play good football. I get the whole rivalry thing if you're living in London, but not here in Ireland really!

Personally I hang around with two Spuds and work with another. There's good banter but seriously they must be the most deluded group of fans in the world. They all smugly predicted (as they have for years now) that Spurs would overtake Arsenal this season, so for me it would be hilarious if tehy got relegated. the slaggins would be epic! :pac:

Galvasean wrote: »
    Personally I hang around with two Spuds and work with another. There's good banter but seriously they must be the most deluded group of fans in the world. They all smugly predicted (as they have for years now) that Spurs would overtake Arsenal this season, so for me it would be hilarious if tehy got relegated. the slaggins would be epic! :pac:

That's fair enough, it would be more for the comedic effect for you and not actually a strong desire to see them relegated because you hate them so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I was sitting in 120 and didn't spot any of that...!
    thats mad, i was there too and was sitting in 121. Didn't hear you singing mind you. With regard to the atmoshpere - i agree it's hard in a big ground like ashburton to get the same atmosphere as Highbury, but i'm sure as soon as we have a few more seasons under out belt there the crowd will sing up a little bit more.
    Also, where you were sitting - and also where I was, there are alot of foreign touristy types there and alot of them are reluctant to break out in voice. If you're down the lower tier beside the away supporters or directly oppisite them - the atmos is a lot better. In fact the last time I was down in the lower tier near the away supporters - it was the west ham game ( when we lost ), i found it somewat intimidating. Grannies were calling the hammers fans - cnuts etc. ;)
    Looking to go over for the Wigan game in December. Myself and the old man go over quite alot. We fly into stansted in the 11.00 o'clock Ryanair flight - get the stansted express to Tottenham hale and the tube to arsenal (via Finsbury Park). Come back that night on the 7.30pm flight and are home in time to watch the game on football first. (I tell the wife that we were really close to the pitch and we might see oursleves !!);)

Edit: Spurs relegated would be my dream. Fcuk silverware. Spuds going and staying down FTW

Was over for the home game against FC Twente (back row along the side opposite the tunnel). Gotta say the Arsenal fans aint the most vocal. We were resoundly outsang by the very vocal FC Twente fans.
    Back in Highbury the stadium was alive with chants, Northbank v Westbank being one. Doesn't seem to be much of that banter in the Emirates.
    I'm not one for singing much at matches but my friend that I went over with was a bit disappointed.

Ive heard this aout the emirates can be a bit quite but arsenal fans away are amongst the loudest and best away fans i was at the reebook last year for the brillant 3-2 where we came back from 2 -0 down with ten men an all the away fans nevr stopped singing...at half time everyone was singing were going to win 3-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Personally I hang around with two Spuds and work with another. There's good banter but seriously they must be the most deluded group of fans in the world.

The few spurs fans I know are all seriously deluded. They all see it as the big 4 and spurs. It really irritates me. I wouldn't hate spurs just because they're a rival of the team I support. But I do hate spurs because of their delusional fans.

• Advertisement

Squad for the trip to Fenerbache

Manuel Almunia
    Lukasz Fabianski
    Emmanuel Adebayor
    Robin van Persie
    Carlos Vela
    Nicklas Bendtner
    Aaron Ramsey
    Abou Diaby
    Theo Walcott
    Cesc Fabregas
    Denilson
    Samir Nasri
    Kieran Gibbs
    Gael Clichy
    Mikael Silvestre
    Alex Song
    Emmanuel Eboue
    Johan Djourou

No Sagna, Gallas or Toure. So who will our defenders be? Clichy, Djourou, Silvestre and Eboué I'd say.

thats mad, i was there too and was sitting in 121. Didn't hear you singing mind you. With regard to the atmoshpere - i agree it's hard in a big ground like ashburton to get the same atmosphere as Highbury, but i'm sure as soon as we have a few more seasons under out belt there the crowd will sing up a little bit more.
    Also, where you were sitting - and also where I was, there are alot of foreign touristy types there and alot of them are reluctant to break out in voice. If you're down the lower tier beside the away supporters or directly oppisite them - the atmos is a lot better. In fact the last time I was down in the lower tier near the away supporters - it was the west ham game ( when we lost ), i found it somewat intimidating. Grannies were calling the hammers fans - cnuts etc. ;)
    Looking to go over for the Wigan game in December. Myself and the old man go over quite alot. We fly into stansted in the 11.00 o'clock Ryanair flight - get the stansted express to Tottenham hale and the tube to arsenal (via Finsbury Park). Come back that night on the 7.30pm flight and are home in time to watch the game on football first. (I tell the wife that we were really close to the pitch and we might see oursleves !!);)

Edit: Spurs relegated would be my dream. Fcuk silverware. Spuds going and staying down FTW

Ideally, I'd like to sit lower tier...maybe behind the bench...might have to wait a while before I can guarantee that though! You may have noticed the gf since you were sitting so close (during/after the match or at half time) I gave her this jersey to wear:

Henry

We made a weekend of it as I don't get to go over often. Flew into Luton for the first time and will do so from now on, much handier than Stanstead. I'm sure Heathrow would be even better, but it's too expensive.
    Ive heard this aout the emirates can be a bit quite but arsenal fans away are amongst the loudest and best away fans i was at the reebook last year for the brillant 3-2 where we came back from 2 -0 down with ten men an all the away fans nevr stopped singing...at half time everyone was singing were going to win 3-2

I've never been to an away game, but I've always been very impressed when I hear the away fans on TV. Fair play to you for going to the Reebok...don't think I would have chanced it!
    No Sagna, Gallas or Toure. So who will our defenders be? Clichy, Djourou, Silvestre and Eboué I'd say.

I doubt Eboué will be right-back, he opted for Song at the weekend and I imagine Song will play in defence again, maybe in the centre, maybe on the right. It defends on who he wants to partner Cesc and who he wants at Centre-back. My guess is Eboué at right-midfield again though!

i read on football 365 that he said hes gonna keep the defence the way it was second half at everton as djourou isnt 100 per cent he'll be a sub though so i guess thats clichy Song Silvestre Eboue?

Henry

We made a weekend of it as I don't get to go over often. Flew into Luton for the first time and will do so from now on, much handier than Stanstead. I'm sure Heathrow would be even better, but it's too expensive.

Heathrow can actually work out cheaper really depends when you book and what time you are going to travel at, so would always look at Heathrow as an option.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Heathrow can actually work out cheaper really depends when you book and what time you are going to travel at, so would always look at Heathrow as an option.

Not this time around though...I think it cost us €10 return each and the fact that we would prefer to fly from Shannon leaves us limited too. Besides all that, I have yet to see a good deal to Heathrow!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement