Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Dunno about Diaby, I can't see where he is supposed to play. He isn't a winger, he isn't a second striker and he doesn't look like a central midfielder either, at least not in a 4-4-2. European nights in a 4-5-1 seem to suit him. He doesn't look like the answer to the Flamini-replacement question unfortunately.

Amazing to win 5-2 away from home without actually playing well. Usual story really, apart from the finishing being excellent tonight. Our midfield was far too porous and our defence was all over the gaff. We still need a CB and a DM in January.

Diaby will work wonders for us in the CL I agree, he fits perfectly into the Hleb role and I can see him being an integral part of our CL progression. In the PL he's not as likely to get as many starts as he will be fighting for his place against all out strikers such as RVP and Bendtner.

Before the season started I would definitely have agreed with you that we need a new CB and DM in January. Im not so sure now though.
    I'm more than happy to go on with Djourou and Song as cover. They've come on very well, definitely beginning to rate them quite highly

Diaby seems to be the best kept secret weapon Arsenal have.
    On UTV, RTE and Setanta they have all said in their analysis that they expected Diaby to shield the defense....
    Makes you wonder, do they actually bother doing research or do they just pretend to know about players. What kind of pundits are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Frisbee wrote: »
    Diaby seems to be the best kept secret weapon Arsenal have.
    On UTV, RTE and Setanta they have all said in their analysis that they expected Diaby to shield the defense....
    Makes you wonder, do they actually bother doing research or do they just pretend to know about players. What kind of pundits are they?

He's big and my Match Attackix card says he is a midfielder. Ergo, he must be a defensive midfielder.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Before the season started I would definitely have agreed with you that we need a new CB and DM in January. Im not so sure now though.
    I'm more than happy to go on with Djourou and Song as cover. They've come on very well, definitely beginning to rate them quite highly
    I've no problem with them as cover; I have problems with the players in the first team.

Galvasean wrote: »
    He's big and my Match Attackix card says he is a midfielder. Ergo, he must be a defensive midfielder.

Looks like Vieira aswell.
    Where else could he possibly play???

• Advertisement

Looks like Vieira aswell.
    Where else could he possibly play???

for France?

For me Diaby was our best player tonight. He has recovered well since his injury set back. Walcott and Nasri were effective on the wings. Clichy was solid as ever. Great impact by Ramsey, really managed to make his mark (even if he hadn't have scored the goal). Eboué did pretty well too for the most part although why he refused to shoot after beating two men and only the keeper left at the end of the game is a mystery. Reminded me of Hleb.
    Almunia pulled off some pretty good saves and wasn't at fault for either goal - Silvestre and Song respectively. They didn't impress me much at all (except ironically when in attack). Although perhaps Silvestre's lapses can be blamed on lack of match fitness after injury while I still regard Song as more of a midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Great result last night, I really didn't expect it but it's great when it happens :)
    As said Diaby was outstanding in his 1st start for I don't know how long, imagine what he will be like when he gets properly match fit.
    I think Walcott has further reminded Carlos that it's time to go, he roasted him
    Eboue was pretty good aswell, I though his goal line clearance and follow up tackle were excellent
    Almunia our captain fantastic made some great saves also, Almunia for England :D
    I actually thought having gallas out for a little while might be a good thing, but after last night the sooner he comes back the better imo

Does anyone else find that it's getting increasingly harder to predict Arsenal starting line-up's lately, the one last night was a surprise to me anyway but it worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

It worked results-wise but it's horrible to get the same gut-wrenching feeling every time the opposition punts a high ball down the centre of our defence or gets a corner or free kick in the Arsenal defensive third... and that seems to apply to every combination of Toure, Gallas, Song, Silvestre and Djourou at the moment.

On the plus side, Ramsey was fantastic again last night - to look that good at 17 away in Turkey in 20 minutes or however long it was is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    On the plus side, Ramsey was fantastic again last night - to look that good at 17 away in Turkey in 20 minutes or however long it was is awesome.

He reminds me of Fabregas in a lot of ways except he can score (from outside the box too)! He got a great goal for Wales the other week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Great result, only caught short highlights so can't comment too much on the performance. The defence did look terrible though.
    Wreck wrote: »
    Yeah and once I remembered that Aragones is the manager I decided to back them after all.

Ez money :)

• Advertisement

I read taht Walcott's contract is up in 20 months. Time to get the chequebook out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

just watched 15 mins of highlights there, and even from that I Silvestre and Song were absolutely abysmal, i don't think i've ever seen as bad a performance from either. I'm finding it very difficult to decide what that result actually means. yeah they scored 5, but looking at the highlights Fenerbache could have gotten the same, but for some fantastic keeping from Almunia and general wastefulness. the confidence should be boosted by this, but i don't think it represents anything of a turnaround that some of the media are suggesting. Fenerbache have been piss poor as well this year compared to the last few years.

really do need a new CB though. an Eastern European stopper type seems to be all the rage these days.

really do need a new CB though. an Eastern European stopper type seems to be all the rage these days.

Reckon we could get Slaven Bilic? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Nacer Barazite is to have his injured assessed by Derby County by having a scan. Hope it is not too bad. Is he on a season long loan from Arsenal? Does anybody know what the story is with season long loans? I know the agreement between both clubs is for the season but can the parent club recall the player at anytime during the season if injuries and suspensions thin the squad. Wenger wanted him to get first team experience, but I hope it doesn't end up with him being on the table with a first team medical team getting their experience. :eek:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/7683675.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

DenMan wrote: »
    Nacer Barazite is to have his injured assessed by Derby County by having a scan. Hope it is not too bad. Is he on a season long loan from Arsenal? Does anybody know what the story is with season long loans? I know the agreement between both clubs is for the season but can the parent club recall the player at anytime during the season if injuries and suspensions thin the squad. Wenger wanted him to get first team experience, but I hope it doesn't end up with him being on the table with a first team medical team getting their experience. :eek:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/7683675.stm

He is only there till January 1st. Hopefully the scan will work out for him and it should be only a few weeks on the side line.

Another Igor Stepanovs would do just dandy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Eduardo to be back for mid November. Excellent. Could do with another decent striker at the moment. Especially one who can put away chances.

Indeed it is going to be brilliant to have him back. He was really in great form before the Birmingham incident. On another note, Rosicky will not be back until the new year, an Arsenal player who is not afraid of shooting. :(

Ha! Eduardo back before Rosicky. Really shows how long Rosicky has been missing.
    Guess Wenger wont sign anybody in January feeding us the line "Ediuardo and Thomas" will be like new signings. Said the same about RvP (who was shockingly out of match practice until the very end of the season.
    If we could get Eduardo and Rosicky back to proper fitness levels we would surely have (arguably) the best attacking options in the premiership.

Adebayor
    Bendtner
    Diaby
    Eduardo
    Nasri
    Rosicky
    van Persie
    Vela
    Walcott

Take your pick.

Adebayor
    Bendtner
    Diaby
    Eduardo
    Nasri
    Rosicky
    van Persie
    Vela
    Walcott

Take your pick.

At the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Looks like Wenger is picking up on the lack of atmosphere at the Emirates also, it is not like him to criticise his own in public so this must really be getting at him
    From AGM yesterday

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/wenger-blasts-fans-for-lack-of-support-1508017.html

At the moment.
    I really think you're being waaaay too down on Adebayor at the moment, seems like every post you're at him. He's still working for the team and he's still putting away chances at about the same rate as last year so I don't really see that big a difference - he's never been a lethal 2 out of 3 striker and probably never will be. Neither is Bendtner or Van Persie.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I really think you're being waaaay too down on Adebayor at the moment, seems like every post you're at him. He's still working for the team and he's still putting away chances at about the same rate as last year so I don't really see that big a difference - he's never been a lethal 2 out of 3 striker and probably never will be. Neither is Bendtner or Van Persie.

Thats because Id just like to see him left out of the team for just one game and us start with RVP/Bendtner up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i assume you've all read about this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/oct/24/arsenal-wenger-gallas-cigarette

it isn't a huge deal, but shows poor judgement on his part. i've never warmed to him and sh*t like this doesn't help. give cesc the armband

i assume you've all read about this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/oct/24/arsenal-wenger-gallas-cigarette

it isn't a huge deal, but shows poor judgement on his part. i've never warmed to him and sh*t like this doesn't help. give cesc the armband

It shows he's human, just like everybody else...not that important in my opinion!

Thats because Id just like to see him left out of the team for just one game and us start with RVP/Bendtner up front.

Well he got a goal against Fenerbache, that should guarantee his place in the team for another 10 games.

United only drew with Everton today. This is excellent news for us. :)

and hull :(

and hull :(

Hull go to West Brom today, ko 3pm. Bookies have WBA down as favourites to win. tbh a draw I would be happy with.

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    It shows he's human, just like everybody else...not that important in my opinion!

Wrong. It is crucial that a modern day player maintains healthy diet and fitness habits. they get paid thousands a week to keep themselves in prime shape as if they lose a second of their pace i could potentially cost the club millions. this guy is not fit to captain arsenal on or off the field and is behaving like a spoilt prima donna. its about time wenger stopped viewing him through rose tinted glasses and have the bottle to punish him and strip him of his captaincy which has been a series of blunders and mishaps. frankly i couldn't care less at this stage if he left us, he's more of a liability this year then an inspiration.

Suffice to say we will not be moving above Hull this weekend. Things are looking very rosy for them right now at WBA.

Two huge games coming up, West Ham on Sun and Tottenham on Wed. 6 points has to be a realistic target.

Wrong. It is crucial that a modern day player maintains healthy diet and fitness habits. they get paid thousands a week to keep themselves in prime shape as if they lose a second of their pace i could potentially cost the club millions. this guy is not fit to captain arsenal on or off the field and is behaving like a spoilt prima donna. its about time wenger stopped viewing him through rose tinted glasses and have the bottle to punish him and strip him of his captaincy which has been a series of blunders and mishaps. frankly i couldn't care less at this stage if he left us, he's more of a liability this year then an inspiration.

I just think you're completely overreacting when you don't know all the facts...nor do I! He was seen smoking once, that's all we know!

jasonorr wrote: »
    I just think you're completely overreacting when you don't know all the facts...nor do I! He was seen smoking once, that's all we know!

We don't even know that, given it was an unlight cigarette. And for what its worth, light or social smoking will have very little effect on fitness levels. Wenger himself said a few years ago that he would rather his players smoked than drank alcohol. Having said that, I personally think its a terrible example for the club captain to set, and Wenger doesn't appear to be taking it lightly.

As for todays match, it looks like Gallas, Toure and possibly Sagna will be available, so it should be interesting to see who comes back in. I think we will win pretty easily, but I'm not expecting us to keep a clean sheet!

I don't expect an easy game today. West ham are the kind of team that could put men behind the ball and frustrate Arsenal.
    And here's hoping Redknapp doesn't whip the Spuds into shape by Wednesday.

Looking at the fixtures I see we have Fenerbache before United at home. I wonder if Wenger will rest a few stars for that game (Fenerbache, not united).

West ham are the kind of team that could put men behind the ball and frustrate Arsenal

Is Zola likely to do this? I really hope not, cause it will make it more difficult - would still expect an Arsenal win though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Excellent, Bendtner starts instead of Ade!

Cue Bendtner to have a stinker and Ade to come on second half and score a hat trick:p

Looking forward to seeing Bendtner and Van Persie up front together. Hope that Song has a good game today. Hopefully no injuries with Tottenham on Wednesday night still to come. Come on Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

playa3 wrote: »
    Excellent, Bendtner starts instead of Ade!

Cue Bendtner to have a stinker and Ade to come on second half and score a hat trick:p

Heh, wasn't too far off in the end. Though Bendtner had a poor first half(along with RvP) but both were much better in the second. Van Persie was very unlucky not to get on the score sheet in the end. Quality ball from Bendtner for Ade's second

Very much a deserved win against a West Ham side that played alot better than I expected, Parker looks like he may actually recover his Charlton form and Green was outstanding. Clean sheet as well, and the defence looked better today. Bendtner's ball for Ade's goal was the highlight of the game for me, super pass.

Spurs in midweek next, will be a totally different proposition under Redknapp. Should still be a win though.

And here's hoping Redknapp doesn't whip the Spuds into shape by Wednesday.

Thats what Im terrified of, New Manager syndrome, although he won today so hopefully he has that out of his system...

Was in work so only saw the second hald on my lunch and the highlights but it looked like it wasnt a much higher scoreline because Green had a quality performance.

Was very happy to see Bendtner and RVP start together although I dont think they realy clicked today. Thought Ade really made the difference when he came on.
    Taking off Theo and Nasri for Ade and Abou, for me, looks like an enormous luxury for Wenger to have as it can completely change the complexion of a game and the way we approached it.

• Advertisement

Was very happy to see Bendtner and RVP start together although I dont think they realy clicked today. Thought Ade really made the difference when he came on.
    Taking off Theo and Nasri for Ade and Abou, for me, looks like an enormous luxury for Wenger to have as it can completely change the complexion of a game and the way we approached it.

only saw the first fifteen minutes today. how did Diaby look when he came on?

only saw the first fifteen minutes today. how did Diaby look when he came on?

He wasnt as involved as he was on wednesday night but looked very relaxed. Nearly gave away a peno with a handball but luckily the ref didnt see it.

Bendtner's pass for adebayors goal was beautiful, if it had have been Steven Gerrard passing the ball the commentators would still be going on about it.

Lads has anyone got this years away kit?
    I'm thinking of picking it up for Christmas or something but just wondering do they give you the red lettering on the back?
    Or just the white they use for most of them?

He wasnt as involved as he was on wednesday night but looked very relaxed. Nearly gave away a peno with a handball but luckily the ref didnt see it.

Well if they missed Green's red card offense... Even so Diaby's incident was ball to hand.
    Lads has anyone got this years away kit?
    I'm thinking of picking it up for Christmas or something but just wondering do they give you the red lettering on the back?
    Or just the white they use for most of them?

I got mine at the Emirates, so red letters all the way.
    I asked this same question in another thread at the start of the season. Apparently Elverys have red letters but in short supply. Might be worth ringing them first. You may have to order them in.

Thats what Im terrified of, New Manager syndrome, although he won today so hopefully he has that out of his system...
    Yeah pretty nervous about that too - especially someone like Redknapp, who's extremely enthusiastic and could galvanise players like Bentley and Jenas.

Though as you say, hopefully the initial lift might have worn off by then.

Apparently Elverys have red letters but in short supply. Might be worth ringing them first. You may have to order them in.

Cheers man, I'll try them. Now the decision of who to get...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Cheers man, I'll try them. Now the decision of who to get...

Clichy. One of the longest serving, biggest legends and he'll be there for years.

Redknapp or not, bring on Spurs i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal shareholders meeting on Arsenal TV now, should be interesting.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Arsenal shareholders meeting on Arsenal TV now, should be interesting.

keep us updated on any drama please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

keep us updated on any drama please :)

Will do, obviously most is already up on the website but always love listening to old Etonian Peter Hill Wood :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement