Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Frisbee wrote: »
    Either your the least imaginative troll on the internet or you were watching a different match. Clichy played his usual cracking game...

Agreed. Bentley had him in his pocket? I counted one time he got past him and crossed it in in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Indie18 wrote: »
    bently had clichy in his pocket for most of the first half and some of the second. clichy was arsenals worst player tonight

What match were you watching? :confused:

Looking at Wenger after the final whistle I would say he really ****ed them out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just watching MoTD. I still can't believe that actually happened...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

This is why we've been winning f*ck all for the last few years :(
    We have no defence. The back four are unbelievably ****e at defending.
    I mean really ****e.

We took f*cking leads against Chelsea and Utd last year and you could just tell that they weren't going to hold on in either match. I'm a massive fan of Wenger but its astonishing that he's persisted with our defence. Its not working! I fancy use to win nothing again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Absolute rubbish, this is the Arsenal I've learned to expect over the last 3-4 seasons...simply not good enough and as long as we continue to keep a small squad our trophy cabinet will remain small!
    Wenger wrote:
    I believe that we produced an excellent game and the positive side is that we were really superior to Tottenham.

Excellent my Arsenal!

We did have a good game (for 89 minutes)
    We were superior to Tottenham

It was just two silly mistakes that cost us the 3 points

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Imo we were far superior to them.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Imo we were far superior to them.

Thats what I said...
    Or were you agreeing? :pac:

Anyway Roll on Stoke! We better fcuking win that one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Thats what I said...
    Or were you agreeing? :pac:

Anyway Roll on Stoke! We better fcuking win that one

I agee with you :) obviously the result is sickening, the last 4 mins were a bit freakish. Didn't think that their that many stops in the 2nd half

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Didn't think that their that many stops in the 2nd half

Same, I cant really think of any stoppages aside from the substitutions...
    Typical, the only way they can beat us is by adding on more injury time :cool:

• Advertisement

No we didn't have a good 89 minutes...we were good for 45-70 minutes, it all depends on how you define good really (attacking 70, defending 45). It's just the same old, same old to be honest...we're not good enough and our squad isn't big enough. I said it before at the end of last season and our squad worsened over the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Either your the least imaginative troll on the internet or you were watching a different match. Clichy played his usual cracking game...

live in denial if you want but just tell me this who was worse than clichy tonight because tbh he had his head up his hole giving the ball away a few times and i'm no fcukin troll i am just giving my opinion live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i'm no fcukin troll i am just giving my opinion live with it.

You are an angry young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You are an angry young man.

generally not just annoyed about another one of those games from arsenal.

live in denial if you want but just tell me this who was worse than clichy tonight because tbh he had his head up his hole giving the ball away a few times and i'm no fcukin troll i am just giving my opinion live with it.

Who had a worse game?

Denilson, Walcott, Gallas and Silvestre in the second half. Song wasnt great. Neither was Fab. Clichy didnt have a bad game at all. He made one mistake which I think you are letting tarnish your opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Typical, the only way they can beat us is by adding on more injury time :cool:

Must have been 90 minutes added on when we put 5 past you at the Lane in January...

Must have been 90 minutes added on when we put 5 past you at the Lane in January...

I was having a laugh, wasnt actually claiming thats why you beat us

2 words...Carling cup!

You must be so proud!

I actually like Spurs because they play good football, but with fans like you, that could easily change!

jasonorr wrote: »
    2 words...Carling cup!

You must be so proud!

I actually like Spurs because they play good football, but with fans like you, that could easily change!

Responding to the point the bloke made, joke or not, it's a perfectly valid point.

Now quit yer whining, you sound like your manager.

• Advertisement

Responding to the point the bloke made, joke or not, it's a perfectly valid point.

Now quit yer whining, you sound like your manager.

I didn't whine, no need to take the offensive, but I don't see how a Spurs fan gloating in an Arsenal thread can be seen as anything but trolling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Arsenal fans not bound by the match thread rules?

Cracking game for the neutral.

I didn't whine, no need to take the offensive, but I don't see how a Spurs fan gloating in an Arsenal thread can be seen as anything but trolling!

ROFL.

Report me.

Tauren wrote: »
    Arsenal fans not bound by the match thread rules?

Cracking game for the neutral.

What do you mean exactly???

Yeah, it was a great game, just a pity we're clearly not good enough to win the league! Only a maximum of 104 for us to get and we probably need 90 to win it, so we can only afford to drop 14 points in 28 games...gamer over man!

What do you mean exactly???

Yeah, it was a great game, just a pity we're clearly not good enough to win the league! Only a maximum of 104 for us to get and we probably need 90 to win it, so we can only afford to drop 14 points in 28 games...gamer over man!

Rules state match talk in match threads. this is not a match thread but i'm seeing match talk, and no mod action.

Without signing a defensive midfielder in january i can't see Arsenal really making an impact on the league. Missing Flamini's effort and hustle quiet clearly.

Rules state match talk in match threads. this is not a match thread but i'm seeing match talk, and no mod action.

Without signing a defensive midfielder in january i can't see Arsenal really making an impact on the league. Missing Flamini's effort and hustle quiet clearly.

Match talk by me??? I think not, at most I summed up how I felt about the match briefly, but I wouldn't class that as match talk, maybe you think otherwise!

It doesn't matter who we sign, it will be too little, too late! We won't be far off Chelsea the winners in terms of points, but that's not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We won't be far off Chelsea the winners in terms of points,

That might be just a bit optimistic imho. A team that cannot hold a lead will never win anything. Arsenal cannot really sign anyone in January that could add enough to their squad to make us proper title contenders. We are too frail as a team. when we play well (usually European nights, or Carling cup games) we play brilliantly, but when we play bad we are as bad as anyone in the league. The real contenders for the title contenders i.e Chelsea, United, and this year looking to be Liverpool all seem to be able to play bad but still hold it together enough to walk away with 3 points. Martin O Neill said last night that the result against Blackburn was so satisfying because they played so bad, so maybe it is justified that Fergie reckons Villa might even get the fourth Champions League spot. Source Should we be preparing for possible UEFA rather than kidding ourselves that Wenger is infallable and that all will be ok as soon as some of our young players progress. We've been saying that for quiet a while now.

This might all sound a bit doom & gloom but maybe its best to face reality and not be kidding ourselves about Premier League success. I still claim that CL is our best chance of silverware, simply because we can get away from the British clubs that know our weaknesses, and exploit them too well.

Anyone care to comment?

Match talk by me??? I think not, at most I summed up how I felt about the match briefly, but I wouldn't class that as match talk, maybe you think otherwise!

It doesn't matter who we sign, it will be too little, too late! We won't be far off Chelsea the winners in terms of points, but that's not good enough.

i dunno - was looking at posts, not the poster names. didn't quote you so my comment was not directed specifically at you.

That might be just a bit optimistic imho. A team that cannot hold a lead will never win anything. Arsenal cannot really sign anyone in January that could add enough to their squad to make us proper title contenders. We are too frail as a team. when we play well (usually European nights, or Carling cup games) we play brilliantly, but when we play bad we are as bad as anyone in the league. The real contenders for the title contenders i.e Chelsea, United, and this year looking to be Liverpool all seem to be able to play bad but still hold it together enough to walk away with 3 points. Martin O Neill said last night that the result against Blackburn was so satisfying because they played so bad, so maybe it is justified that Fergie reckons Villa might even get the fourth Champions League spot. Source Should we be preparing for possible UEFA rather than kidding ourselves that Wenger is infallable and that all will be ok as soon as some of our young players progress. We've been saying that for quiet a while now.

This might all sound a bit doom & gloom but maybe its best to face reality and not be kidding ourselves about Premier League success. I still claim that CL is our best chance of silverware, simply because we can get away from the British clubs that know our weaknesses, and exploit them too well.

Anyone care to comment?

I just don't see anyone breaking into the top 4 this season, so I reckon we're safe in that until next season, when I expect Man City to be big contenders!

As for Liverpool winning the league, it's not going to happen this year (I think anyway). They've had a brilliant start, but they always have a terrible run of games at some stage and I doubt they'll continue winning games this season, the way they are playing.

I'm not saying Wenger is infallible (pretty close though) and I'm not as willing to wait for the young players to develop, we need to bulk up our squad. We lack strength in depth, which will cost us time and time again in the league anyway.

Champions League is our best hope as I always feel we have enough to get through the Qualifying and Group Stages and after that it's a Knockout, so anything can happen really!

But we have to at least sort out our defense, it's been leaking goals for quite some time now and it simply isn't good enough!
    i dunno - was looking at posts, not the poster names. didn't quote you so my comment was not directed specifically at you.

That's fair enough then!

Wenger simply just doesn't buy in January. And to be honest the only thing we need is a decent CB, and considering he bought Silvestre we now have 3 CB's in Toure, Gallas, Silvestre. Then there is Song and Djourou aswell. Also how many quality centre backs are available to buy? We missed our chances with Zapata and Kompany.

Once again either United or Arsenal will have rumours about signing Veloso surrounding them again, and again nothing will come of it.

to be honest the only thing we need is a decent CB,

IMO i think we are in dire need a solid Central Midfielder. Oh and while we're at it just to break away from the typical Arsenal player it'd be nice to have one that doesn't get injured for months at a time.

• Advertisement

IMO i think we are in dire need a solid Central Midfielder. Oh and while we're at it just to break away from the typical Arsenal player it'd be nice to have one that doesn't get injured for months at a time.

Thats why Veloso or Kompany would have been perfect.
    Although I've more faith in Song since before the season started

Thats why Veloso or Kompany would have been perfect.
    Although I've more faith in Song since before the season started

No, no, no, no...Song is a terrible defender, he's far too slow (like Senderos, except worse!). I like him as a midfielder though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

TBH after last night a new keeper wouldnt go amiss. Wenger dropped Lehmann for less last season. Last night was just a freak result against poor opposition. we were extremely naive at 4-3 and should have killed the game. Having said that, we had 2 defensive midfielders on the pitch (Diaby and the other clown Song) so how Jenas can jog from the half way line to the edge of the box without a tackle going in is crazy. Our worst month of the season is upon us (historically and form a fixture point of view) and I'm not optimistic at all.

No, no, no, no...Song is a terrible defender, he's far too slow (like Senderos, except worse!). I like him as a midfielder though!

Thats what we were talking about. Him as a DM...
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Having said that, we had 2 defensive midfielders on the pitch (Diaby and the other clown Song)

DIABY IS NOT A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER!!!!
    How do people, Arsenal fans especially not get this????
    Just coz he's tall, black and plays in midfield does NOT automatically mean he is Vieira's vat grown clone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I'm really not sure Silvestre is the answer to our defensive woes. He looks slow. I've never been a fan of Gallas an ever since Toure came back from the African NAtions Cup- he's been sh1te. We are in desperate need of two central defenders - song and Djourou are ok but are behind Gallas and toure/Silvestre in the pecking order. I'd like to see two big name brought in - Kompany and veloso would be perfect I agree.
    As for last night's game - I've sobered up and calmed down a bit since then - still bitterly dissapointed but i think we should take it easy on Eboue/Cesc for not taking the ball into the corner and runing down the clock. Only last week we were berating Arsenal for "not killing teams off". In fairness Hotscum were lucky - that's all. Bring on stoke and lets give them a 'we're pissed off' bashing.
    However 10 games played and 2 losses (Hull & Fulham !) and 2 drawn (Tottenham & Sunderland !) doesn't boed well for a top 2 finish.....

DIABY IS NOT A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER!!!!
    !

I agree - if anything he's the new Hleb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is the difference this season Flamini?

PHB wrote: »

That and the defense leaking goals like a sieve

I was hoping it wouldn't be but I think it is.

PHB wrote: »
    I'm not convinced. Yes Flamini was a terror in midfield but he didn't alone keep teams like Hull getting one over on us. Before Famini there was Gilberto, now we're looking at Song filling that role. It's a role that shouldn't really be needed - if our defence was any good. There's not much of a change from the end of last season. If anything the difference is complacency - we've too much. IMO

• Advertisement

We had Vieira and Adams, Keown, Winterburn, and Dixon. Did they need cover or did it just make sense and was an excellent decision

Edit: We had Petit as well, who started his career as a CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Lads Song is waaaay to slow to be a DM, did Jenas not out pace him for his goal??? Watch Song the next time he's chasing after a ball or player, you'll see what I am on about, no pace at all. He's a joke. Wouldn't mind but Song was just on the field!!! Fresh legs me arse, slow slow slow legs. The Flamster used to bust his arse tracking back, he ran his legs off every game last year. You wont see Song or that Brazilian twat doing that. Wenger is the man to blame for Arsenal's crisis and thats exactly what Arsenal are in at the moment.
    His comments about there not being ANY top quality centre backs available is laughable. The fact is he wouldn't splash the cash. Instead he gets Silvestre on a free. Ask any Man Utd fan, he makes mistakes every game. He's just not quality. At most he would be a bench warmer at Utd this season but at Arsenal he is meant to be?? A leader??? A first team starter??? A senior player??? If Arsene did spend massive money on players we desperately needed we might not have the lovely account books we currently have (What fan really cares about how much net/gross profit we made last??? I know I dont) but at least we would have a title contending team, a top team. Im not gonna start naming players who I think Arsene should buy, hey whats the point? I'll leave that to kids who play Football Manager.

And dont start with that "INEXPERIENCED KIDS" crap or "O WE HAVE SO MUCH POTENTIAL" Denilson/Nasri/Walcott are the ONLY players in the starting line up last night who might be considered inexperienced but I dont buy into that arguement ONE bit. Nasri was a leader with Marseille. He was the main treat in their team. Really we should have enough characters in our team to cover any faults

I know its still very early days in the Premiership but there's no way we can compete. Up next Rory Delap.......... lets see how we cope with that threat

Wenger is the man to blame for Arsenal's crisis and thats exactly what Arsenal are in at the moment.

Wenger is the problem at Arsenal? Get the boat!
    The man turned Arsenal into the team they are today and has been wonderful for the club. Yes I'm disappointed in the lack of trophies in recent years but I stand buy him.

If Arsene did spend massive money on players we desperately needed we might not have the lovely account books we currently have (What fan really cares about how much net/gross profit we made last??? I know I dont)

I know I care about what condition the club is in financially. No point busting the bank to bring in top players if you end up in serious debt, or even worse, administration because of it. Yes I'd prefer Wenger to buy a little more but he has his tactics and they've been good for us so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

"Yes I'd prefer Wenger to buy a little more but he has his tactics and they've been good for us so far. "

Let's be realistic here - Wenger's tactics WERE GOOD FOR US up to 4 years ago ......... not anymore.

I've always been a ferocious Wenger supporter, but right now I'm starting to believe that if he continues to insist that he must play the beautiful game and dance the ball into the net, I'm going to have to recommend that he goes to the West End and directs a musical!!! I'm getting sick of the "Arsenal play such great football" comments, while dropping 10 points in 10 games to 4 teams whose collective points at the end of the season wouldn't win the Premiership!!!

WHY WHY WHY did Fabregas, Silvestre & Gallas not know to kill the game and play keep-ball in the Spurs corner for the last 5 minutes last night? You'd kick 10 year olds in the ass for that basic error!

I've said it for the past 2 years (ok, no-one heard me!!) - Wenger is making a massive mistake by failing to put quality back-bone into the team. Gallas ........ one word (Birmingham). Silvestre - spare me. Flamini was the man but his Anelka-esque sense of loyalty has taken him from these shores.

We'll lose Cesc and/or other key players in the next 12 months if we're not in the mix next May. And I hole I'll not be back to "quote" that line!!!!

Yes we drew with the Spuds in a disgraceful manner, but everyone is over-reacting. We're one decent CB maybe a DM away from top title contenders. Song will keep improving, as will Denilson.
    Look at the success he has had with Clichy and Fabregas. Everyone is going on about how bad his decisions have been. But he has trusted these two and they've reacted superbly.

Simple Question: Get rid of Wenger and who would you want to replace him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

defense leaking goals like a sieve

Would that not be because of not having FLamini:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Yes we drew with the Spuds in a disgraceful manner, but everyone is over-reacting. We're one decent CB maybe a DM away from top title contenders. Song will keep improving, as will Denilson.
    Look at the success he has had with Clichy and Fabregas. Everyone is going on about how bad his decisions have been. But he has trusted these two and they've reacted superbly.

Simple Question: Get rid of Wenger and who would you want to replace him?

Ramos?

:P

In part, yes. but the CB's still don't look very confident imo.
    Especially from set pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Who would replace Wenger?

Anyone who wants to win more than he wants to play beautifully!!!!!! ;)

I know there's something fundamental wrong when you're 2 up against the bottom team in the league with 5 minutes to go and you're not saying "game over".

We're one CB, maybe a DM, short of contending - that was pretty much the same for the past year with the exception of Flamini and he's done nothing to address the issue - that's a big problem for me. When faced with a problem you take decisive action. Arsene has failed to do so.

Watch our young stars taking decisive action when they no longer share the vision of our leader!!!!

• Advertisement

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Who would replace Wenger?

Anyone who wants to win more than he wants to play beautifully!!!!!! ;)

Such as?
    I really cant think of any other manager I'd want at Arsenal atm except for:

David O'Leary - He'd change the playing style too much I'd say, and tbh would only consider him because of his previous service to the club.

MON - Taken

And I wouldn't even really want either of them, only put them forward for the sake of names

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement