Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

was that not more a case of not having a full squad to select from?

Nope, apparently Arsene sees him as a left midfielder and not a left back.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think that's more a case of Clichy being untouchable at left back than Traore being more of a midfielder. I doubt we'll see Traore anywhere other than left back this season. He reminds me of Eboue in midfield too much anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Nope, apparently Arsene sees him as a left midfielder and not a left back.

that's interesting. he's never struck me as the most creative of players, but then again i've seen very little of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Traore's ridiculously quick, good going forward not great in defense.

True, although we've seen with Eboue and occasionally with Clichy that being good going forward when you're a full-back doesn't necessarily translate to being good going forward as a winger.

I doubt Wenger sees Traore's future in midfield; he is just trying to maximise his playing time to develop him. He does that pretty often with young players.

• Advertisement

I think that's more a case of Clichy being untouchable at left back than Traore being more of a midfielder. I doubt we'll see Traore anywhere other than left back this season. He reminds me of Eboue in midfield too much anyway.

Apparently he started off as a left winger, will be interesting to see him given a role as a left winger possibly in the carling cup or as a sub 1st team. He can't be as bad as Eboue, that said I am of the opinion that Eboue could be a decent squad player for us as cover as right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I see Traore as 2nd choice left back at the moment. Who else do we seriously have in that position? I know Gallas did a bit for a while but that was just because we were stuck. With Flamini gone Id say Traore will be our go to man for when Clichy needs a rest and play a pivitol role in our CC team.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I see Traore as 2nd choice left back at the moment. Who else do we seriously have in that position? I know Gallas did a bit for a while but that was just because we were stuck. With Flamini gone Id say Traore will be our go to man for when Clichy needs a rest and play a pivitol role in our CC team.

True but remember Gallas also played lb for Chelsea.

Yep, I'd say so. Traore is also at that special age which Wenger recently described (in relation to Theo) as the age when most players make big strides forward in ability. If Traore is anything like Cashley and Clichy he'll improve considerably, particularly defensively, over the next season or two.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    True but remember Gallas also played lb for Chelsea.

Isn't that part of the reason why he left Chelsea, in that he didn't like playing out of position. That's why so many eyebrows were raised when he made his Arsenal debut playing at left back. Aparently Wenger assured him it was only temporary.

• Advertisement

Isn't that part of the reason why he left Chelsea, in that he didn't like playing out of position. That's why so many eyebrows were raised when he made his Arsenal debut playing at left back. Aparently Wenger assured him it was only temporary.

But I would like to think he would not have a problem playing lb for a few games if Gael was injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

He wouldn't complain imo, anyway fingers crossed Clichy will be ok. Afaik he was almost ever-present last year?

Besides that, Willy only has next year left in him. After that we're stuck with a CB problem again.

cson wrote: »

Besides that, Willy only has next year left in him. After that we're stuck with a CB problem again.

I still have a feeling we will buy a cb over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Im very pessimistic about anyone else coming in. Its only 3 ish weeks until the new season.

Which is incredible, because at the moment we have a weaker team than last year despite the fact Wenger said he'd be signing at least 2 quality players, one of them a CB. Who'd have thought it'd be Samir Nasri and Adam Ramsey he was talking about. Maybe Ramsey can play CB :rolleyes:

He just neglected to mention we'd be losing 3 fairly important players in the grand scheme of things. In Wenger we trust but the strength of that trust is going to be tested over the next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Im very pessimistic about anyone else coming in. Its only 3 ish weeks until the new season.

I wouldn't be too worried. Wenger himself admitted that he was still in the market so that is a good sign.

I'm still waiting for us to sign a proven English player. I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that Wenger was looking to buy one.

Which is incredible, because at the moment we have a weaker team than last year despite the fact Wenger said he'd be signing at least 2 quality players, one of them a CB. Who'd have thought it'd be Samir Nasri and Adam Ramsey he was talking about. Maybe Ramsey can play CB :rolleyes:

He just neglected to mention we'd be losing 3 fairly important players in the grand scheme of things. In Wenger we trust but the strength of that trust is going to be tested over the next season.

this is such a deflated transfer market though. everyone seems to be playing it cautious, biding their time. in some regards this current window is a bit of a catch 22. the big clubs aren't spending as they usually might, and the usual trickle down of funds to stimulate the market isn't there. it's very hard to know the lie of things, but i've a feeling its going to pick up to frantic levels in the next few weeks, after all the game has more money now than ever before. just a waiting game.

on the mention of the CB though, very disappointed the one off reported interest in Zapata came to nought. he's a player i'd like to see. and there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of realistic alternatives out there. I reckon AW will stick with Senderos and Song as cover rather than take a gamble.

Song was actually pretty decent at CB for the few games he played.

As for no signings yet, think back to when we got Henry and Suker after the first game of the season.

Or the final day of the window in 2007, when the Gallas, Baptista and Denilson deals were all completed...

Who's the middle guy you mentioned.

Or the final day of the window in 2007, when the Gallas, Baptista and Denilson deals were all completed...

don't you mean 2006?

for shame...

• Advertisement

When you're old like me, all the years blend into each other.

If there's one thing about wenger its taht he has the ability to just appear witha new signing out of nowhere. When Reyes was signed Arsenal were being linked with every player under the sun but Reyes just popped out of nowhere.
    Although the way agents are this days its getting harder and harder to make a covert signing. Now instead of trying to put the head down and organize the move, agents just tell every newspaper in Europe that teams are interested in signing their player in an attempt to get more offers in which means more money for their greasey pockets.

We're after reyes for ages, i remember watching Sevilla matches for months, the sevilla president was doing an us and shot us down several times. Altho it was a shocker because i'd thought he was as good as gone to inter. It came out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Good interview with Walcott here. Sounds like a very down to earth kinda guy. Very similar to Gael.

dbfarrell wrote: »
    Good interview with Walcott here. Sounds like a very down to earth kinda guy. Very similar to Gael.

saw that a few days ago. didn't realise it hadn't been posted here. I think it sort of explains why he's taken longer that perhaps expected to develop. the WC06 fiasco seemed to really hit him hard and knock the confidence out of him. but it sounds like he's gotten over it and hopefully it will have made him stronger in the future.

still, sounds like the England squad back then were a right bunch of arseholes to him, even if he is too dignified to say as much. I really hope this is the year he makes good on his promise.

Team for this friendly (can't be arsed looking up the name of the opposition):

Almunia

Sagna Hoyte Hoyte Clichy

Walcott Ramsey Denilson Wilshere

Bendtner Vela

lol, 1-0 to er... Szomething.

Theirry talks about Ade
    Thierry Henry acknowledges that Emmanuel Adebayor has to make a decision about his future at Arsenal.

Adebayor scored 24 Premier League goals last term to become a summer target of AC Milan and Barcelona as both clubs attempt to improve on unimpressive 2007/08 campaigns.

Milan have made no secret of their interest in the Togo international striker and the possible signing has become one of this summer's ongoing transfer sagas.

And Henry, who left Arsenal to join Barcelona last June, recognises his former team-mate is in a difficult situation.

"The only thing I can say is that he had an amazing season last year," Henry told Sky Sports News.
    Choice

"Whenever you have a season like he had a lot of teams are coming to get you.

"It is up to him in his mind. I can't talk for him about what his choice is going to be."

Meanwhile, Henry believes Arsenal are capable of ending their three-year trophy drought next season because of manager Arsene Wenger's ability for unearthing hidden talent.

"Arsenal, I don't know how they do it, but they bring players who people say, 'I'm not sure' and suddenly everyone is raving," Henry added.

"Hopefully they can win something because all the time no-one gives them credit, but they are always around.

"But hopefully this year they can bring some silverware back to the Emirates."

doesn't really say much in the end, although I'm disappointed he wouldn't come straight out and recommend him to stay.

bloody hell. i just dipped into that friendly. the youngsters certainly wouldn't inspire confidence. trying to pass it around under pressure in their own 18 yard box!

• Advertisement

1-1, Walcott. Smart finish, terrific setup by Bendtner.

bloody hell, that was unbelievable ability by Bendtner to control that ball. I think he could have a real impact this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Those Hoyte brothers aren't very good at all at all

funny looking at the game, i'm not sure Vela's best position is a striker. i think he looks better outside the box than in it, reminds me in some ways of a young Paul Scholes.

Randall, Traore and Lansbury, and someone else i can't spell coming on now.

Vela off and Walcott moving up front.

Clichy at centre-back, oh my.

• Advertisement

Actually Sagna's at centre-back too. That has to be the smallest CB pairing ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wilshere really is class, another great game from him(well from what i saw, missed the first 20). Wonder whats gonna happen when the english media find out about him?

playa3 wrote: »
    Those Hoyte brothers aren't very good at all at all

Makes you wonder who got in on the other's back? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

That was terrific from Bendtner, I'd say Walcott will impress this season.
    Even as a United fan, I'm really looking forward to seeing Nasri play, looks a great prospect.

• Advertisement

Smegball wrote: »
    That was terrific from Bendtner, I'd say Walcott will impress this season.
    Even as a United fan, I'm really looking forward to seeing Nasri play, looks a great prospect.

Don't want to be too pesimistic but too many of our first team are great prospects. Not enough finished articles IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Arsenal's summer woes have been compounded by the news that Kolo Toure has been diagnosed with malaria.

It's thought that the defender contracted the disease while on holiday in his native Ivory Coast. After flying out for Arsenal's pre-season tour of Austria and Hungary, the 27-year-old was sent to hospital in Vienna where malaria was diagnosed.

Although an Arsenal spokesperson described Toure as "being in good spirits", it seems unlikely he will be fit for the start of the new season.
    That leaves Arsene Wenger with only Johan Djourou or Philippe Senderos as potential partners for William Gallas after he decided against recruiting any new defenders this summer.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/23/manual_071652.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Doesn't look good on the defensive front with Kolo supposedly out for the start of the season according to this article. Don't know how ya feel about Arsene not bothered about getting defensive reinforcements because it wasn't exactly the best looking defence last season.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/23/manual_071652.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Doesn't look good on the defensive front with Kolo supposedly out for the start of the season according to this article. Don't know how ya feel about Arsene not bothered about getting defensive reinforcements because it wasn't exactly the best looking defence last season.

has he come out and said he's no longer looking for defenders? he said one minimum signing, two maximum. obviously the midfield is his first priority, but i'd say he's still keeping an eye out for a decent defender. i'd say last night's friendly if anything will have galvanised him further to look for more defenders, as the Hoyte's can be pretty much written off at this stage. they looked woeful.

then again, maybe the possible second signing is in reference to the possible need to find a replacement for Adebayor. hate all these guessing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I wonder will Nordtveit get his chance in the 1st team league squad if Wenger doesn't buy a centrehalf and Kolo is out for a while or will it just be CC for him

He looks to be progressing and fans that go to reserve games seem to be raving about him

I've been telling you Arsenal are the victims of some kind of voodoo curse! What professional footballer gets malaria? FFS

Well if this doesn't inspire Wenger to sign a new defender nothing will. We missed out on Dunne when we had the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I wonder will Nordtveit get his chance in the 1st team league squad if Wenger doesn't buy a centrehalf and Kolo is out for a while or will it just be CC for him

He looks to be progressing and fans that go to reserve games seem to be raving about him
    Reserve team captain last year I think too but I'd be surprised to see him jump ahead of Djourou/Senderos when he didn't even play in the Carling Cup last year...
    Galvasean wrote:
    We missed out on Dunne when we had the chance.
    Still don't think Wenger would ever have signed Dunne - he's just not enough of a footballer for him. And as much as I miss the days of Sol Campbell heading everything and the kitchen sink out of defence, the possession game that Gallas and Toure help play wouldn't be possible with Richard Dunne in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

As Suspected wenger has confirmed that the 1 definite transfer will be a midfielder of some sort, the other more than likely being a defender I hope

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=news&article=494258&cpid=703&title=Wenger%20-%20I%20am%20in%20the%20market%20for%20a%20midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

I've been telling you Arsenal are the victims of some kind of voodoo curse! What professional footballer gets malaria? FFS

Yakubu, Celestine Babayaro and Lomana LuaLua have all returned to the Premier League over the last couple of years having contracted malaria.

hmmm... it seems Eduardo has suffered a set back in rehabilitation.
    Hopes that Eduardo would make a swift return from his broken leg have been dashed after the striker suffered a setback during his recuperation.

The player himself, whose leg was broken by Birmingham's Martin Taylor in February, had expressed the hope two months ago that he would be able to return to take part in the Gunners' pre-season preparations. However, it is now understood that the Croatian forward will not resume full training before the end of September - making it unlikely he will make a first-team return before November.

The news is bound to strengthen Arsene Wenger's determination to retain Emmanuel Adebayor. Were the Togo striker to leave then Arsenal's options in attack would be limited to Robin van Persie, Theo Walcott, Nicklas Bendtner and Carlos Vela.

Eduardo is likely to be one of three Arsenal players to miss the start of the season after news broke that Kolo Toure had been diagnosed as suffering from malaria. Tomas Rosicky will not return until September after only undergoing an operation on his thigh in late May despite the injury ruling him out of action from January.

if true; bugger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

After watching our reserves playing against Barnet the other night - I don't hold much hope that we'll get off to the best start this season. With all the injuries and ilness's, the only team members that are worth starting the season are: Aluminum, Willy Gallas, Sagna, Gael, Fab, Theo, Van the Man and Ade. With the exeption of the Rammer, nobody else has either proved themselves or has shown that they are able to slip into the first team. If they are in the first team already - I'm looking at you Big phil and Nikki Bender - they really must improve. I'm hoping tio see great thing from Alex Song this year. - Heres to mid table glory by Christmas.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement