Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just noticed that yer man on Young-Guns says Merida will start tomorrow. He was right about Hoyte at the weekend so I'd say there's a fair chance of him being right again. That'd presumably mean:

Ramsey - El Capitan - Denilson - Merida

Bendtner -- van Persie

No width and no pace in that team which worries me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

PhysioRoom has Eboue, Adebayor and Toure all back tomorrow.

Almunia
    Toure----Djourou---Gallas---Clichy
    Eboue---Captain Fabulous*----Denilson---??**
    RVP
    Ade

* I'm hilarious
    ** No idea who to have here. Vela, wilshere?
    Song in the middle and Denilson on the left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wouldn't mind seeing Gallas swapped for Upson in January. I think Upson and Toure could forge a good pairing.

Toure+Upson = Ebony+Ivory

It would be glorious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

With all the players missing, perhaps a 4-3-3 is in order?(yeah i know it won't happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You would be very foolish to get rid of your best and most experienced player. There is a reason you where challenging for the title last year.

Personally I think everything he is saying about Arsenal needed to be said.

RasTa wrote: »
    You would be very foolish to get rid of your best and most experienced player. There is a reason you where challenging for the title last year.

Fabregas?

It did.
    Privately.
    In the dressing room.
    With the manager.
    Not in the press.

I would like Gallas to stay if he can get his act together as he is a good player.
    But if he can't accept what has happened then unfortunately it's time for him to gtfo

Galvasean wrote: »
    Fabregas?

No Gallas. Have a look who has won more, there's a reason for it.

Also on Fabs whilst a good player, pretty quiet so far this season but there is no way he should be captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Not to the press it didn't.

[edit] beaten to it. and re. the who has one more argument, look at Djimi Traore yada yada yada...

That's not to say Gallas is a bad player of course, he has come under too much criticism from some corners and is still a very good defender. Just a bit of a dope is all

• Advertisement

Have a look who is a decade older!

When Gallas was 21 he had won The French Ligue 2
    Fab @ 21 has won the FA Cup, Euro Championships, Has a Champions league Runner's up medal, Community Shield.

Not to mention UEFA team of the year 06, PFA Young player of the year 07/08, PFA team of the year 07/08, UEFA Team of the Tournament 08.

Age?

Frisbee wrote: »
    It did.
    Privately.
    In the dressing room.
    With the manager.
    Not in the press.

I would like Gallas to stay if he can get his act together as he is a good player.
    But if he can't accept what has happened then unfortunately it's time for him to gtfo

Meh, Keano used to rant to the press about everything when playing for United and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Gallas to score against Kiev tomorrow. You heard it here first.

DenMan wrote: »
    Gallas to score against Kiev tomorrow. You heard it here first.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. He seems to be better than attack than in defense this season.

Age?

Ah yes old enough to be captain. 5 seasons at Arsenal and a fluked cup.

Ah yes old enough to be captain. 5 seasons at Arsenal and a fluked cup.

I think he means Gallas has won more because he's ten years older.
    I'll refer you to this post to show Gallas compared to Fab @ 21 :)

Ah yes old enough to be captain.

The last time Arsenal appointed a 21 year old as captain it was Tony Adams. Epic failure right?
    _1976840_adams_150.jpg

Anyway I don't care who is better, that wasn't the point. Gallas said what the captain should have said. Private or not it doesn't matter he hasn't won anything since joining Arsenal. So for saying what is right, now all the Arsenal fans want him out?

• Advertisement

Anyway I don't care who is better, that wasn't the point. Gallas said what the captain should have said. Private or not it doesn't matter he hasn't won anything since joining Arsenal. So for saying what is right, now all the Arsenal fans want him out?

You were the one who insisted Gallas was the better player and now you've been proved wrong it doesn't matter? :rolleyes:

Your just not listening.
    Yes what he said needed to be said, he didn't need to say it to the press though. As a vastly experienced player captaining a team of relative youngsters he should have known the effect the kind of lambasting he came out with would have.

And I didn't say I wanted him out. I'd love him to stay, as long as he toes the line and accepts his punishment like a professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don't necessarily want him out, but the right decision has been made. If he's mature enough to come back into the team after being stripped of the captaincy, then I wish him all the best, otherwise it's time to move on!

You were the one who insisted Gallas was the better player and now you've been proved wrong it doesn't matter? :rolleyes:

Your just not listening.
    Yes what he said needed to be said, he didn't need to say it to the press though. As a vastly experienced player captaining a team of relative youngsters he should have known the effect the kind of lambasting he came out with would have.

And I didn't say I wanted him out. I'd love him to stay, as long as he toes the line and accepts his punishment like a professional.

I don't want to go on a Fabs v Gallas debate but will if you want.

He shouldn't be punished for having a go at his players, they needed it. Maybe the publicity will be good for them because loosing to teams like Stoke and Fulham something needed to be said and I'm sure he has talked enough in private.

He shouldn't be punished for having a go at his players, they needed it. Maybe the publicity will be good for them because loosing to teams like Stoke and Fulham something needed to be said and I'm sure he has talked enough in private.

Yeah talking out in public worked miracles.

No manager will stand for a player, even the captain, lampooning the rest of the side in the press in the fashion Gallas did.
    Even someone as great as Keane was given the boot by Fergie for overstepping his mark in the press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I really don't like the sounds of this.
    For the love of God I hope Wenger doesn't sell him..

I hope not aswell, but I think the only reason that Arsenal would sell Kolo is if he demanded a transfer himself and I'm pretty sure Kolo is happy at Arsenal
    He owes Wenger alot
    City are going to be linked to everyone for the next month or so, and with Arsenal on a bad run I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more familiar names to pop up in the papers
    How about this:
    Straight swap: Gallas(includes 1 guaranteed tantrum) for Micah Richards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Gallas said what the captain should have said. Private or not it doesn't matter
    It does matter. It matters hugely. If he genuinely believed it was off the record, then I feel for him. But if he put his faith in a particular journo who shafted him, then he obviously had a lapse in judgment. Such things should be kept in-house.
    he hasn't won anything since joining Arsenal
    But he speaks as if he's the only who is disappointed about it. I didn't mind what happened at Birmingham so much because it showed how much he cared (ok, he went a bit too far but the sentiment was admirable) but he has to realise that the majority of that team are born winners too and were disappointed to let some great positions slip last year too. He shouldn't have made comments that suggested that William Gallas was being let down by players with no desire to win.
    So for saying what is right, now all the Arsenal fans want him out?
    Clearly not. For me, Gallas' abilities as a defender have copped an awful lot of unfair stick over the last 9 months - he's been immense for us at times (AC Milan last year springs to mind straight away as one of the higher-profile matches) and I'd dearly love to keep him if he's going to perform at that level. With the usual proviso that we get a CB who complements* his style of course.

* and if this player also compliments his style, I'm sure Gallas won't mind. :D

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    * and if this player also compliments his style, I'm sure Gallas won't mind. :D

Made me laugh, too funny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

about the midfield tonight, there's talk of Fran Merida getting a start on the left

• Advertisement

about the midfield tonight, there's talk of Fran Merida getting a start on the left

It seems an odd move considering his lack of first team experience. I hear he is quite good mind, but why he would be ahead of Wilshire I'm not sure..

edit: Fabregas 7/1 to get 1st goal.

It seems an odd move considering his lack of first team experience. I hear he is quite good mind, but why he would be ahead of Wilshire I'm not sure..

edit: Fabregas 7/1 to get 1st goal.

I'd prefer Vela ahead of both of them.
    He got a lot of experience at Osasuna playing on the left...

gun__1227603993_training24112008_02.jpg

God I feel so much more confident in the gunners again. It's been a tough few weeks when your flatmates bf is a spuds fan!

yeswecan.jpg

I'd prefer Vela ahead of both of them.
    He got a lot of experience at Osasuna playing on the left...

He looked lively alright on the wing for Osasuna. Although I think he's far more effective as a center forward. Although he does drift to the left like another well known Arsenal folk hero...
    Thierry Henry
    Shame on anyone who needed to highlight the spoiler tag.

He looked lively alright on the wing for Osasuna. Although I think he's far more effective as a center forward. Although he does drift to the left like another well known Arsenal folk hero...
    Thierry Henry
    Shame on anyone who needed to highlight the spoiler tag.

Oh yeah Centre Forward is his best position by a mile.
    I wonder though if Wenger will play him at left mid. As it was really left wing he played at and not sure if Wenger would trust him with the defensive side of things.
    I still think he should get the nod ahead of Merida though.

Van Persie has played left wing before. He doesn't really like it I'm told, but that does leave the option of putting Vela and Adebayor (I hear he is due to be fit) up front, a combination I'd like to see since Vela seems to work wonders when alongside a big man (eg: Bendtner).

Van Persie has played left wing before. He doesn't really like it I'm told, but that does leave the option of putting Vela and Adebayor (I hear he is due to be fit) up front, a combination I'd like to see since Vela seems to work wonders when alongside a big man (eg: Bendtner).

Adebayor and Vela is a combination made in heaven for me.
    They would be great foil for each other. Especially with someone like Fabregas laying the ball on to them... *drools*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

speaking of Monsieur Henry, anyone find it strange that he gave an interview to the Liverpool website last week? talking about how he'd love to play with Gerrard? seems strange to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Mr Alan wrote: »
    speaking of Monsieur Henry, anyone find it strange that he gave an interview to the Liverpool website last week? talking about how he'd love to play with Gerrard? seems strange to me

Ah come on now, Gerrard's not that bad. :pac:

• Advertisement

It seems an odd move considering his lack of first team experience. I hear he is quite good mind, but why he would be ahead of Wilshire I'm not sure...
    Because Wilshere is used to playing right wing and Merida left I'd imagine.

To be honest, it might just make sense - not only would he slot in in a Nasri-type mould (keep the ball on the deck, pass it quick in triangles, don't run it much) but it'd mean that we avoid all of the messy combinations we talked about a couple of pages back where Denilson has to play left wing to keep Wilshere right side, etc.

As Pepe said, not a lot of width but it's probably more balanced than asking Denilson or Wilshere (or Vela, though obviously he has some experience there) to play out of position on the left.

i dont get it :confused:

Well now that Cesc is captain at Arsenal, I guess Barca have shifted their attention elsewhere...:)

Well now that Cesc is captain at Arsenal, I guess Barca have shifted their attention elsewhere...

We'd be so lucky.
    Vieira was captian when he left.
    As was Henry.
    Yes they were older and were let go, but still...

Being captain doesn't protect him from a transfer.

Strange in what way? I think he realises Barcelona wasn't as green as he thought it would be, he's good friends with Gerrard and has said before that he would love to play with him, he has a kid in England and with Arsenal very unlikely to try and re-sign him, maybe he sees Liverpool as an option!

Well now that Cesc is captain at Arsenal, I guess Barca have shifted their attention elsewhere...

i actually read it as the other way.

Gerrard has said that he is finishing his career with Liverpool whereas Henry has been linked with moves away from Barca for quite some time and gave an interview to the official Liverpool website saying how much respect he had for Liverpool & how he'd love to play with Gerrard....seems strange to me is all.

JasonOrr-thats wat i read it as too, he has been linked with us since he left Arsenal and he is always praising the club.

Being captain doesn't protect him from a transfer.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    i actually read it as the other way.
    I was joking - smiley added to avoid any confusion.

Not that odd really - as you've said, he's been linked with the Pool before so there's your answer. While I'd hate to see Henry line out against Arsenal, he has to do what he has to do and I don't think he owes the club anything. Hope it doesn't happen though.

He could always pull a sickie whenever he had to play the gunners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

he gave an interview to the Liverpool website last week? talking about how he'd love to play with Gerrard? seems strange to me
    how he'd love to play with Gerrard....seems strange to me is all.
    Wreck wrote: »
    Ah come on now, Gerrard's not that bad. :pac:

Probably not that funny, but does that clear it up for you Mr A?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

I REALLY hope he doesn't go anywhere. He's one of my favourites and defo one of the better players in the squad at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement