Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

BBC Sport and Arsenal site reporting that Eboue, Toure and Ade are all out. BBC reporting that Merida isn't even in the squad.

I'd like to see:

Almunia

Hoyte
    Gallas
    Djourou
    Clichy

Wilshere---Fabregas
    Ramsey
    Denilson

Van Persie
    Bendtner

But that midfield might be too lightweight defensively for Wenger so we could see:

Almunia

Hoyte
    Gallas
    Silvestre
    Clichy

Ramsey---Fabregas
    Song
    Denilson

Van Persie
    Bendtner

Hopefully a desire to seal qualification comprehensively and silence the doubters will see him go with option 1 - though I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    BBC Sport and Arsenal site reporting that Eboue, Toure and Ade are all out. BBC reporting that Merida isn't even in the squad.

I'd like to see:

Almunia

Hoyte
    Gallas
    Djourou
    Clichy

Wilshere---Fabregas
    Ramsey
    Denilson

Van Persie
    Bendtner

But that midfield might be too lightweight defensively for Wenger so we could see:

Almunia

Hoyte
    Gallas
    Silvestre
    Clichy

Ramsey---Fabregas
    Song
    Denilson

Van Persie
    Bendtner

Hopefully a desire to seal qualification comprehensively and silence the doubters will see him go with option 1 - though I'm not holding my breath.

I'd prefer the first team, but tonight should be a win either way, provided one of the strikers has his shooting boots on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wreck wrote: »
    I'd prefer the first team, but tonight should be a win either way, provided one of the strikers has his shooting boots on.

I really would rather play Song at RB than Hoyte.
    Then either Ramsey/Denilson in the centre with Denilson/Vela on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

we could see:

Almunia

Hoyte
    Gallas
    Silvestre
    Clichy

Ramsey---Fabregas
    Song
    Denilson

Van Persie
    Bendtner

I hope not, as I think he is far too slow to play there...which may not be a problem tonight.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I really would rather play Song at RB than Hoyte.
    Has Song got any experience playing there though?

I think Pepe suggested Silvestre too - personally I'd rather have Hoyte unless someone points me in the direction of 10+ previous games there for either of them.

• Advertisement

Song started off as a Right Back before moving into the centre.

Vela is starting apparently :D:D:D

Vela and Ramsey start, sweet!

Vela and Ramsey start, sweet!

Yup, but Song in CM, Denilson at RM, Silvestre & Gallas at CB and Djourou at RB isn't ideal!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Yup, but Song in CM, Denilson at RM, Silvestre & Gallas at CB and Djourou at RB isn't ideal!

For me its one of the strongest team we could have put together given the circumstances.

• Advertisement

For me its one of the strongest team we could have put together given the circumstances.

I just feel a couple of them could have been put in different positions, Silvestre is no CB and Song is no CM...I hope Song can prove me wrong, but Silvestre won't!

Fair play to Gallas by the way!

Glad to see there was no real widescale booing when Gallas' name was called.
    Don't think that would have helped his mentality going into this game and we need him focused.

Many Arsenal fans have complained about us trying to pass the ball into the net, or threading balls through the eye of a needle.

It was annoying enough when players like Vieira, Pires, Henry were doing it. But at least we could be fairly sure of a win
    It ridiculous with players like Denilson and Song trying it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Once again Bendtner proves that a bit of tactical variety (ie: being a tank) can be useful from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i actually read it as the other way.

Gerrard has said that he is finishing his career with Liverpool whereas Henry has been linked with moves away from Barca for quite some time and gave an interview to the official Liverpool website saying how much respect he had for Liverpool & how he'd love to play with Gerrard....seems strange to me is all.

JasonOrr-thats wat i read it as too, he has been linked with us since he left Arsenal and he is always praising the club.

I was thinking along the same lines as you until I read the part of the interview where he says that it is extremely unlikely that he will ever return to play in England...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Papa Smut wrote: »
    yeswecan.jpg
    I make a point of trying to avoid idolising footballers, of hero worshipping them, building them up or buying into romanticised or idealised notions of them, but **** it - in this case I don't care - I just LOVE that.

Aye,its very hard for me to decide whether to change it to my desktop background or keep this one:

gun__1222248461_5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

from the telegraph top ten players we need an could get in january some interesting names here:
    1. Matthew Upson (West Ham, 29): Wenger has sold him once, to Birmingham, but Upson is twice the player now. Steady, strong, left-sided and would shore up the defence.

2. Sylvain Distin (Portsmouth, 30): Possesses many of Upson qualities but is quicker and Pompey are likely to be eager sellers in January.

3. Micah Richards (Manchester City, 20): Superb athlete whose star has surprisingly waned with England. Upheavals at City might pave way for a move south.

4. Gareth Barry (Aston Villa England, 27): Lacks the usual Wenger prerequisite of pace but tactically astute, left-footed, good from set-pieces, and a natural leader. Hugely difficult to prise out of Villa.

5. Arda Turan (Galatasaray, 21): Gifted Turkish international midfielder with an eye for a spectacular goal. Not unlike Alex Hleb.

6. Yaya Toure (Barcelona, 25): Ivorian and younger brother of Arsenal's Kolo, his strength, energy and ball-winning skills would be invaluable in the Emirates engine room.

7. Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus, 28): Experienced striker who missed out on Euro 2008 with injury. Not exactly prolific but in impressive form this season. Fits the bill of adding experience to Arsenal's youthful squad.

8. Mamadou Niang (Marseille, 29): Senegal international with plenty of strength who scored 18 times last season. A decent short-term bet up front.

9. Miroslav Klose (Bayern Munich, 30): Vastly experienced Golden Boot winner from 2006 World Cup. Strong and terrific in the air, he would be a valuable addition, even if age is against him.

10. Lukas Podolski (Bayern Munich, 23): Another Polish-born Germany international, frustrated at lack of first-team opportunities. Fast, strong and with a capacity to make things happen. Would be a great loan signing.

from the telegraph top ten players we need an could get in january some interesting names here:
    1. Matthew Upson (West Ham, 29): Wenger has sold him once, to Birmingham, but Upson is twice the player now. Steady, strong, left-sided and would shore up the defence.

2. Sylvain Distin (Portsmouth, 30): Possesses many of Upson qualities but is quicker and Pompey are likely to be eager sellers in January.

3. Micah Richards (Manchester City, 20): Superb athlete whose star has surprisingly waned with England. Upheavals at City might pave way for a move south.

4. Gareth Barry (Aston Villa England, 27): Lacks the usual Wenger prerequisite of pace but tactically astute, left-footed, good from set-pieces, and a natural leader. Hugely difficult to prise out of Villa.

5. Arda Turan (Galatasaray, 21): Gifted Turkish international midfielder with an eye for a spectacular goal. Not unlike Alex Hleb.

6. Yaya Toure (Barcelona, 25): Ivorian and younger brother of Arsenal's Kolo, his strength, energy and ball-winning skills would be invaluable in the Emirates engine room.

7. Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus, 28): Experienced striker who missed out on Euro 2008 with injury. Not exactly prolific but in impressive form this season. Fits the bill of adding experience to Arsenal's youthful squad.

8. Mamadou Niang (Marseille, 29): Senegal international with plenty of strength who scored 18 times last season. A decent short-term bet up front.

9. Miroslav Klose (Bayern Munich, 30): Vastly experienced Golden Boot winner from 2006 World Cup. Strong and terrific in the air, he would be a valuable addition, even if age is against him.

10. Lukas Podolski (Bayern Munich, 23): Another Polish-born Germany international, frustrated at lack of first-team opportunities. Fast, strong and with a capacity to make things happen. Would be a great loan signing.

There would be no need for 5,7,8,9 or 10.
    We have enough strikers and attacking mids with:
    Ade, RVP, Bendtner, Vela, Eduardo, Rosicky, Nasri, Walcott, Fab.

I don't think Distin would offer us much.
    Barry's not going to go now that Villa are doing so well.

As for Richards: He could be a good punt, with Sagna and Eboue at RB he wouldnt be needed there, and for me thats his best position.

Upson and Toure would be the two I would be most interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd love to see the interest in Zapata being rekindled, he's been one who's impressed me anytime i've seen him. Of all the players that have been linked to Arsenal he has imo the attributes most suited to their style. that and he's still very young (only 22), which means he'll adapt easier to the English game and hopefully keep getting better.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see us sign two former Arsenal players in the window - Upson and Diarra - don't think we'll get either though.

This made me lol this morning, Rooney dives and Fergie gets a sly dig in at Pires.
    I think he's been watching (Villarreal forward) Robert Pires too much. At least he apologised to their players. You'd never see Pires do that.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

This made me lol this mornin, Rooney dives and Fergie gets a sly dig in at Pires.

Did he apologise when he DIVED over Sol Campells leg in game 50 of the unbeaten run
    I think Ronaldo gives him all the example he needs, leave if out Fergie
    Stones, Glasshouses and all that ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4551487,00.html

we have a new Chief Executive! Good news i think, One cnt help but feel that things might have been different in last 18 months with regards to who came in and left if wed still had Dein/another Chief Executive.

Can't say I've heard of him but looks like it could be a good appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I agree, anyone who looks at Arsenal's current form and thinks it's caused by a lack of strikers really isn't paying much attention. Especially with Eduardo coming back pretty soon, striker is the last position that needs strengthening.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I think Ronaldo gives him all the example he needs, leave if out Fergie
    Stones, Glasshouses and all that ....

Ronaldo doesn't dive any more though: :rolleyes:
    Red Nose wrote:
    The systematic fouling on him (Cliff Richard), that's what's now happening. It's a tactic. Eventually the referee thinks he's diving all the time.

To be fair, it's very clever what he's doing...it puts that little extra bit of doubt in the referees mind as to whether he is actually being fouled or diving.

He isn't as bad as he used to be, but he still dives.

184501.jpg

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4551487,00.html

we have a new Chief Executive! Good news i think, One cnt help but feel that things might have been different in last 18 months with regards to who came in and left if wed still had Dein/another Chief Executive.

Nothing on the official site, but could this be Stan Kroenkes influence and is a takeover imminent?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If any Arsenal fan thinks the problem is upfront consider this aston Villa the team currently in 4th have as their 3rd and 4th choice strikers Marlon Harewood and Nathan Delfounso.

Vela, Walcott, Eduardo and Bendtner are all better than those two IMO and im a Villa fan. Up front you are good even if your not firing on 100% atm. It is obviously Strenght in CM (DM) and CB you need and not players who can develop into filling these roles as you already have them in Djourou and Song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Anything from wingers up is the last thing we need. Diarra, heh i hope for his sake Wenger never gets the france job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

We definitely need a winger. We've played center mids on the wing too much this season. And we've been terrible in those games. Stoke away being the most obvious to spring to mind.

And Nasri and Rosicky are both injury prone and can't be relied upon.

I'm not totally sure on Upson, but we do need a center back. Hoping we get Yaya Toure for midfield.

No need for strikers. Eduardo coming back soon. Hopefully he's the same player he was before he got injured.

Nothing on the official site, but could this be Stan Kroenkes influence and is a takeover imminent?
    Kroenke can only increase his stake to 30% or more if there's a takeover bid by someone else, most likely Usmanov. He's not part of the lockdown agreement (in place till 2012) so a takeover bid is the only way other board members can sell to him.

So, probably not.

Have to say i thought Gallas showed the right attitude last night, almost as if he heard Lee Dixon and took everything on board. If anything he prob tried too hard hence the mistake and finishing (though the old adage goes 'a defender's finish'). he respected the job of the new captain and got on with it.

Arsenal's work rate was better then ever last night. I was highly impressed with djourou. i think he could do the DM job in the future, maybe not now though. Song perhaps might be better as an attacking player as he tends to ball watch a bit.

Cesc can be a great captain. How long more of a future he has at Arsenal i dont know and im not going to worry about what will or wont happen. ill enjoy every minute of this brilliant young man playing in the red and white. he'll be a fantastic captain. the same way his idol josef guardiola was for barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

You're there tipp. A very good performance. Regarding the bad finish from Gallas, I think that was a one off. They seem to be all technically good players (French). Remember when Barthez when to Utd?, his touch was fabulous. The goalkeepers train with the outfield players and it certainly shows. Unheard of at the time when he came.

Song perhaps might be better as an attacking player
    I like Song and think he has some good attributes but I really really really hope this doesn't happen.

Fortunately I really really really don't think it will.

I like Song and think he has some good attributes but I really really really hope this doesn't happen.

Same, I like Song and think he has the potential to be great.
    But he's been ****e this season so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Stolen from arseblog where it was stolen fron F365.com
    William Gallas: A Day In The Life
    Posted 26/11/08 15:47

I am just coming out of the front door in the morning when I am confronted by a postal man. He seems very sure of himself, despite the fact that he is very young.

"Package here for a Mr Gallas," he says in a loud voice.

"Lower your voice when you speak to me," I tell him. "I have 69 caps for France. You have just one silly cap with 'Post Office' written on it."

"Er, right you are mate," he says. "Just sign here if you would."

I tell the man I am not his 'mate'. He is a very cheeky man. I tell him that too.

"Are you going to sign it or not, sir?" asks this man, who is nothing, a nobody, somebody whose name I do not want to demean myself by revealing, which is the next thing I explain to this Postal Delivery Worker Paul Jackson of the Totteridge and Whetstone Branch.

But he still stands there, holding out his little notepad thing. The arrogance of the individual amazes me. I think to myself that it is important here to show courage and leadership to the neighbours, some of whom are standing on their doorsteps now watching this situation.

One of them shouts: "Just sign for the package, you plum."

The neighbours respect me as I am a senior figure in the community.

"Yeah Gallas, you w*****," says the man next door, who looks up to me very much I know.

I decide to rise above the situation by running off to the end of the garden and sitting on the grass with my legs crossed.

This is the sort of dignity and standing firm skills that we older members of the community must show in the face of an arrogant postal worker. They are not scared of us, they come to the house to try and deliver letters.

The man, who cannot be more than 25 or 26 or 40, stands on the doorstep for a while. Obviously he has been shown to be foolish.

Eventually he comes down the garden. I am crying. He is not used to seeing a man brave enough to cry for what he believes in (that is to say, the correct way to deliver letters).

"Can you just sign for Mr Gallas's package mate? Only I'm knocking off in a minute and I've got to pick my kid up from the doctors," he says.

"Don't you know who I am?" I ask him. He says he does not care if I am Elvis Presley as long as I sign for the package.

I write my name. He leaves, defeated. I open the package. It is a dog mess. This is typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the Gossip columns this morning have reports suggesting AC are in for Gallas, although his agent has come out and said he'll stay.

seems like all the transfer crap is starting in earnest again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

the Gossip columns this morning have reports suggesting AC are in for Gallas, although his agent has come out and said he'll stay.

seems like all the transfer crap is starting in earnest again.

Gallas for Seedorf anyone???

Gallas for Flamini anyone???
    FYP :)

Gallas for Seedorf anyone???

Would love that, sound like he would like to play in the premiership!
    FYP :)

No thanks! Been there, done that, he's a ***t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Same, I like Song and think he has the potential to be great.
    But he's been ****e this season so far...

Interested to ask, what exactly are ye basing this on? He cant pass, tackle or shoot. What are his "good" attributes?

I know he was an arsehole about what he did but I would take him back in a second...
    (We were hardly blameless in him leaving)
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Interested to ask, what exactly are ye basing this on? He cant pass, tackle or shoot. What are his "good" attributes?

His African Nations performance. He showed that he has the potential.

I don't think Arsenal covered themselves in glory there either and I'm not sure why you think he owed the club anything - they were willing to sell him before last season, dropped him for the CL final after he was part of a great run and only offered him a new contract last year when he's gone an entire season in great form.

I'd rather Diarra back talent-wise (for what it's worth, I think Flamini probably overachieved a bit last year) but attitude-wise, I'd take Flamini back in a heartbeat (his engine and workrate would add a huge amount to this squad).

The club didn't make sure to keep him so he left. Simple.

keano_afc wrote: »
    He's a decent reader of the game (a la Gilberto or even Gallas a little bit when he plays CB) and can break up play well. You say he can't tackle, I'd say he does it pretty well. He was superb in last year's Carling Cup run (against, I think, Blackburn and Sheffield United in particular) and was impressive against Wigan a couple of weeks ago too.

Apart from your point about tackling, I think you're missing the point a bit - he's not there for his attacking abilities. Obviously he has to work on the weight and precision of his passing but in a team like Arsenal, he's always going to stand out like a sore thumb in that regard. As did Gilberto and as did Flamini last year but they both contributed a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The Mirror reckon Spartak Moscow want to sign Bendtner for £5million. Doubt Wenger would sell him unless that figure was at least doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Apart from your point about tackling, I think you're missing the point a bit - he's not there for his attacking abilities. Obviously he has to work on the weight and precision of his passing but in a team like Arsenal, he's always going to stand out like a sore thumb in that regard. As did Gilberto and as did Flamini last year but they both contributed a lot.

I see where you are coming from here Moe a defensive minded player that sits and disrupts in midfield will stick out in a fluid attacking side, but from what I've seen of Song so far this season and he has had plenty of chances I would tend to agree with Keano. If you leave tackling aside, Flamini had a far superior engine to Song and Gilberto had a much better passing range so I think those 2 complemented the Arsenal team well, for me Song seems lazy and too poor a passer to be in the Arsenal team. Maybe he will improve but can we afford to wait ?

I know he was an arsehole about what he did but I would take him back in a second...
    (We were hardly blameless in him leaving)

I don't think we are blameless, but he didn't (doesn't) want to be here and that won't change, so we have to move on!
    I don't think Arsenal covered themselves in glory there either and I'm not sure why you think he owed the club anything - they were willing to sell him before last season, dropped him for the CL final after he was part of a great run and only offered him a new contract last year when he's gone an entire season in great form.

I'd rather Diarra back talent-wise (for what it's worth, I think Flamini probably overachieved a bit last year) but attitude-wise, I'd take Flamini back in a heartbeat (his engine and workrate would add a huge amount to this squad).

The club didn't make sure to keep him so he left. Simple.

What we did when we dropped him for that other ***t in the Champions League Final was inexcusable, but we then gave him a chance in his favoured position, in which he excelled and he kept that spot, we then offered him a new contract, but he wanted to leave and did.

I don't think we approached it correctly from the beginning, I always thought (even as a squad player) he was worth keeping as he was a real fighter, but we did try to correct that in the end and out of stubborness he left!

As for Diarra, he really is a joke! He expected to walk into Chelseas first team, then forced his way out. He then expected to walk into our first team and forced his way out! I don't think Wenger ever thought in a million years that both would leave, but what can you do!

I don't think we are blameless, but he didn't (doesn't) want to be here and that won't change, so we have to move on!

What we did when we dropped him for that other ***t in the Champions League Final was inexcusable, but we then gave him a chance in his favoured position, in which he excelled and he kept that spot, we then offered him a new contract, but he wanted to leave and did.

We played him out of position for several season.
    We tried to fob him off to Boro on the cheap.
    I know he won't come back, but I'd love if he did.

We played him out of position for several season.
    We tried to fob him off to Boro on the cheap.
    I know he won't come back, but I'd love if he did.

We only did that because compared to what we had at that time, he wasn't good enough to break into the team! When he did, he had a bitter taste in his mouth and eventually left!

I genuinely wish he hadn't left, but I wouldn't take him back!

We only did that because compared to what we had at that time, he wasn't good enough to break into the team! When he did, he had a bitter taste in his mouth and eventually left!

I genuinely wish he hadn't left, but I wouldn't take him back!

I would.
    Look at Arsenal defensively this time last season to now.
    Look at the impact Fab had at this stage last season to now.
    Fab had to serve a suspension the other day for 5 reds, dont think he got that many all last season. That's because he hasn't got Flamini around to take the brunt of the defensive work while he can roam forward. He knows he can't trust Denilson to do what the Flamster did, so he has to defend more, and as a result, break down the play to get players back in position, whereas before Flamini was in the hole, meaning Fab didnt have to do this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement