Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Don't be so pessimistic I think you will be grand, you's have one of the best midfielders in the world in Fabregas, and have two top class strikers in Adebayor and RVP.
    Nasri will be a star and I expect Walcott to shine.

newbie2 wrote: »
    After watching our reserves playing against Barnet the other night - I don't hold much hope that we'll get off to the best start this season. With all the injuries and ilness's, the only team members that are worth starting the season are: Aluminum, Willy Gallas, Sagna, Gael, Fab, Theo, Van the Man and Ade. With the exeption of the Rammer, nobody else has either proved themselves or has shown that they are able to slip into the first team. If they are in the first team already - I'm looking at you Big phil and Nikki Bender - they really must improve. I'm hoping tio see great thing from Alex Song this year. - Heres to mid table glory by Christmas.....

Pfft! Down with that sort of thinking. I remember at this stage last year there was talk of us at mid table or worse! My ar$e!

We'll be fine. Like we always are. I would be extremely surprised if we get any silverware this year, but I can see us getting at least 3rd in the prem, Maybe semi's in the champions, and getting knocked out quite early in the cc.

But mid table? tosh!

Ps: The Rammer, van the man, Willy Gallas?? ffs what are you? 12?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You can never ever ever judge anything from pre-season, except whether or not the team is fit. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

After watching our reserves playing against Barnet the other night - Heres to mid table glory by Christmas.....

I really would not read anything into our two matches so far, objective of these matches is for players to gain fitness.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

After watching our reserves playing against Barnet the other night - I don't hold much hope that we'll get off to the best start this season. With all the injuries and ilness's, the only team members that are worth starting the season are: Aluminum, Willy Gallas, Sagna, Gael, Fab, Theo, Van the Man and Ade. With the exeption of the Rammer, nobody else has either proved themselves or has shown that they are able to slip into the first team. If they are in the first team already - I'm looking at you Big phil and Nikki Bender - they really must improve. I'm hoping tio see great thing from Alex Song this year. - Heres to mid table glory by Christmas.....
    Dear god, make him stop!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Ok maybe my post was a tad pessimistic. I'm just venting after hearing about Kolo. Do you really think that what we have coming off the bench is good enough to compete next season. I'm really not sure it is. I've been a gooner for 20 years and am really not looking forward to the first month or two.. I understand that we surprised people last season but with the loss of Hleb and Flamini i'm not sure we have the strength in depth this year to compete.
    Ps: The Rammer, van the man, Willy Gallas?? ffs what are you? 12?!
    No
    Dear god, make him stop!!
    I'm not a subscriber to the "always sing the praises of your team" mentality. I'm going to say it as I see it. So just did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm a pessimistic person in saying that I expect us to finish top 4 and not get any silverware. There is absolutely no indication of us significantly falling down the table. Who will take our place? By the look of it all the teams trying to break the top 4 will become weaker (except Man City IMO).

edit: well, i do believe we have a decent chance of silverware, the FA Cup most likely.

Galvasean wrote: »
    edit: well, i do believe we have a decent chance of silverware, the FA Cup most likely.

I think we will at the very least match last seasons trophy count as I expect us to retain the Emirates Cup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I think we will at the very least match last seasons trophy count as I expect us to retain the Emirates Cup :)

ambitious. :D

• Advertisement

dunno how reliable this is but
    Concerns over the health of Arsenal defender Kolo Toure have eased.

The Ivory Coast was diagnosed earlier in the week as suffering from malaria. However, it is now understood that Toure has contracted a mild strain of the virus and has been able to return to the Gunners' training camp in Austria.

so it sounds like he'll be all right to perhaps start the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

^^ Great news if true, cheers

Even with Toure fit i still want another reliable defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Seems Eduardo's 'setback' has only set him back to the original estimates of how long he'd be out...
    Arsène Wenger is delighted that Eduardo will be back at Arsenal for the start of August but, while his recovery remains on target, the striker is some way away from first-team action.

The Croatian has been undertaking his rehabilitation in Brazil since the serious injury to his ankle at Birmingham in February 2008. The Club’s initial estimate was that the 25-year-old would be sidelined for nine months and his current progress suggests that target will be met.

He is set to return to England and watch his team-mates in the Emirates Cup on August 2 after which he will be assessed by the medical team before starting his final rehabilitation. Once he has successfully completed this final stage he will return to training with the full squad.

Speaking after the 1-1 draw with Szombathelyi on Tuesday night, Wenger said: “It is difficult to assess. He will be back for the Emirates Cup, at the moment he is in rehabilitation.

“We hoped he would be back earlier but it is very difficult to say. It will be three or four weeks more [until he comes back to England] but I don’t really know yet.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Yes, Eduardo is making remarkable progress from what I have been reading. I read the interview with Gary Lewin on Arsenal.com. I know he is taking up a full time position with the England senior team, both Wenger and Capello recommended him. What about Gary's team?, I know his son is involved. Great bunch of pros down at the Arsenal infirmary, no worries regarding the future. I think it was John Terry that said Gary saved his career.

DenMan wrote: »
    I think it was John Terry that said Gary saved his career.

not just his career, many say Gary potentially saved his life. he did the same for Rocastle too at one stage didn't he?

• Advertisement

not just his career, many say Gary potentially saved his life. he did the same for Rocastle too at one stage didn't he?

Good memory re Rocky, I do recall that he did.

Quite right guys. Great man Rocky. Immortalized in the annuls of Arsenal's history.

not just his career, many say Gary potentially saved his life.

Apparently he stopped him from swallowing his tongue.

In an otherwise slow new day
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7526018.stm
    Expect to see some Indian lads playing for Arsenal in 5 years time.

edit: Reserves beat Crawley town. thats good I suppose
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=494372&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Friendly:+Crawley+Town+0-1+Reserves+XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

So what's all this shíte about Cesc. Seriously can't see him saying that if Arsenal don't win anything this year he's off, just before the season is about to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's from Marca therefore probably bull****.

So what's all this shíte about Cesc. Seriously can't see him saying that if Arsenal don't win anything this year he's off, just before the season is about to start.

Wouldn't read anything into it personally that said it is very annoying that these stories about our players seem to constantly come out, roll on 01 September 00:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

sky sports news are saying this morning that man utd have put in a bid for henry. i know its not really arsenal news any more but its henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is tonight friendly being taken seriously? They are playing an Austrian provincial 11 which should be a rout but Wenger may play kids and not care about the actual result.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Is tonight friendly being taken seriously?

are they ever?

it'll be the Emirates cup really when we see a team that approximates the starting 11 i think. these Austrian sides he's playing from what i've seen have tended to be big and awkward, not necessarily skilful. I think he's using them to gauge how the kids respond to more physical opponents and whether they can offer viable cover in the Prem. for example we found out the last night that the Hoyte's are ****ing useless when put under a bit of pressure.

Its a good thing palying rough n' tumble teams in pre season. We really need to get more practice in such games and try figure out that much coveted 'plan B'.
    So far Ive been more impressed with the youngsters (except the Hoytes obviously) than the first teamers.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Its a good thing palying rough n' tumble teams in pre season. We really need to get more practice in such games and try figure out that much coveted 'plan B'.
    So far Ive been more impressed with the youngsters (except the Hoytes obviously) than the first teamers.

I was pretty disappointed with Denilson actually aswell. I was hoping he'd feature this year as i've said previously, but judging the friendlies he still hasn't matured enough. did some silly sloppy things, particularly when on the defence. still i know it's only a friendly but still, i didn't think it was encouraging.

I wouldnt worry about those Cesc quotes. Doesnt sound like something he'd say considering his recent distaste for Barcelona's transfer tactics. That said I wouldnt be surprised if he asked to leave at the end of the season if we win nothing.
    That paper, arent they funded by either Madrid or Barca?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It'll be interesting to watch the emirates cup.. Lets hope you hammer the sh*te out of Real. I need ye to take them down a peg or two... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Fabregas - Some people are just trying to make mischief

Following media reports this morning, Cesc Fabregas wanted to put the record straight by making the following statement.

"I have not spoken to any media so it's frustrating to read quotes that I have supposedly said about my future. I have spent the summer relaxing with my family, friends and girlfriend and I return to training with Arsenal tomorrow. I think that some people are just trying to make mischief but my intentions are very clear. I am happy here at Arsenal, my future is with Arsenal and the priority is to achieve success and win trophies at Arsenal."
    Unsurprising

• Advertisement

Marca is Madrid's mouthpiece. They are best just ignored.

We'll see a few more first teamers in action tonight, including Nasri I suspect. They've been in training for about a week now.

Well that rumour lasted the best part of 8 hours..

Haven't got access to the game. Anybody going to be watching it?, under way at 17:30.

Team:

Almunia
    Clichy
    Hoyte
    Hoyte
    Sagna
    Traore
    Denilson
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Vela
    Bendtner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I met a guy last year on the way to an Arsenal match - he was from Nenagh Arsenal Supporters Club and gave me his number, which has been lost!!

Does anyone have any contact details for the Nenagh Supporters Club? Cannot find anything on the web

lol, 1-0 after 45 seconds. Ramsey with a terrible finish that just about sneaks over the line.

Should score a truckload the way things are going.

2-0, Bendtner. Nice goal.

3-0, Bendtner again. Wilshire with a nice assist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Bendtner should have got his hat-trick there.

Vela 'megs the keeper, 4-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Vela 'megs the keeper, 4-0.

Music to my ears

5-0, Bendtner hat-trick.

Vela again.

6-0 after 32 mins

Okay, I'm going to stop posting updates because this is getting silly. 6-0, Vela again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Burgenland really are atrocious.... Even when the Arsenal kiddies are fu*king up backheels and joke passes, the Burgenland players actually can't stop/control/clear/kick/see the ball.. Vela's 2nd being the perfect example. 6-0 after 35 minutes, hahahahaha... It might be worth putting money on the front 6 all scoring by the end of the game... :P

Bendtner's fourth.

Really struggling for goals today....;) Well done boys, looking forward to seeing them on highlights later. I know it is only a friendly, but sharpness in pre season is so important. Plus it will give the guys plenty of encouragement that they are taking their chances now especially when points are up for grabs in a few weeks. Big plus, eye for goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Really wish this match was on setanta... :p

Just saw on Sky Sports Score Center, 8-0, Vela hat trick.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement