Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Galvasean wrote: »
    A little bird told me we put in a 20million bid for Arshavin.

can someone explain to me why Arshavin would be a good buy? it's not like they are short on attacking mids cum forwards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Frisbee wrote: »
    Will we buy the players we need though?
    Or a 16 year old currently playing in French Ligue 2 who will be amazing in 4 years?

Gael Clichy?

can someone explain to me why Arshavin would be a good buy? it's not like they are short on attacking mids cum forwards...

We could use a goalscoring midfielder. This season our midfielders haven't scored enough to supplement the strikers. In fact we havent had a proper goalscoring midfielder since Freddie Ljungberg and Bobby Pires (discounting Cesc in the first half of last season).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd imagine it would take substantionally more than 18m to interest Liverpool in this deal....that price or the 15m figure that was quoted in the summer was for an out of form unhappy alonso, now he is playing the best ball of his career & been our best player by a mile and is on record as wanting to stay.

cant see it happening tbh

Not to mention the fact that it looked certain that 'Pool we're gonna sign Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

We could use a goalscoring midfielder. This season our midfielders haven't scored enough to supplement the strikers. In fact we havent had a proper goalscoring midfielder since Freddie Ljungberg and Bobby Pires (discounting Cesc in the first half of last season).

That's true. But the squad has far bigger problems than that, which is why £20m on Arshavin would be a massive waste of money when it could be spent on a half decent defensive centre mid and a centre back.

Personally I'd like to see £10million on Veloso, £20 million of Chilieni and then another £20million on Arshavin.
    Heck, even mediocre teams get transfer budgets of 50million.

We'd all love to see that, I wouldn't hold your breath though.

I'm just hoping that the long term lay off of Fabregas will be the last straw taht makes Wenger see taht he needs to spend money to win the big trophies.
    Optimistic I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Gael Clichy?

Aye but for every Clichy there is a load of failures who never make it. And right now we need established players, not people with potential...

Oh yeah I completely agree, just when I saw your description it sounded a bit too specific to be coicadence.
    We certainly do need some more players for now. Sure we have great players for the future, but what happens when they decide to leave and play out their best years elsewhere because Arsenal arent successful enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

what happens when they decide to leave and play out their best years elsewhere because Arsenal arent successful enough?

Wenger?

but what happens when they decide to leave and play out their best years elsewhere because Arsenal arent successful enough?

Wenger decides he's had enough and walks into the France job before retiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

I bet you Wenger won't buy, if anything he'll see this as an opportunity to let the likes of Diaby, Ramsey etc play more.

There could be something dodgy going on with the clubs finance but who knows, Wenger may just be stubborn right now (or blind). We'll pull through against Villa though, just you wait.

thierry_henry_moustache.jpg

_39519249_henry_get_300x300.jpg

645_1.jpg

vieiraDM0510_468x631.jpg

Sorry I felt like posting about memories of better years. Fed up of being depressed about the current squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

2.gif

... wait you guys are just posting random pics of Arsenal players to make you feel better aint you? this is an Arsenal player and looking at her makes me feel better:D

• Advertisement

She looks a bit dangerous, I wouldn't trust her. Better than that Bilbao team though.

Bob Pires on a loan until the end of the season. Who wouldn't take it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

She looks a bit dangerous, I wouldn't trust her. Better than that Bilbao team though.

met her once or twice (think her name was Emma) a mate of mines sister played for the Arsenal womens team (Yvonne Tracy...im sure i mispelled her 1st name) she was cool and hotter than that pic shows.

cant wait till the match tommorow been a while since ive watched a match with absolutley no idea on how its going to go.

edit: just found a pic of her brother Shane (my mate) from back when he played for Arsenal, he only ever got a few games for the reserves though Shane%20Tracy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Big game for us is not too far away now. Let's hope we can get the win we all so desperately need. Come on Arsenal. Midfield is the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Forget about a DM I'd settle for a defensive coach at this stage to try prevent that shite that was on display today!!

What a fúcking pathetic team. Can't hold a 2 goal lead, can't close out a game in the last few minutes. Did anybody actually think they'd hold out? I think we all knew deep down they'd fúck it up.

Not to mention being played off the park in the 1st half.

I really couldn't be any angrier right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

What a fúcking pathetic team. Can't hold a 2 goal lead, can't close out a game in the last few minutes. Did anybody actually think they'd hold out? I think we all knew deep down they'd fúck it up.

Not to mention being played off the park in the 1st half.

I really couldn't be any angrier right now.

fact of the matter is that you could have been 4 down by the 40th minute

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Terrible defending but Christ we are without Cesc, Rosicky,Walcott, Adebayor,Eduardo, I would like to see other teams coping with those missing.

Helix wrote: »
    fact of the matter is that you could have been 4 down by the 40th minute

What the hell has that go to do with what I said?

They have no spine, put them under any kind of pressure and they'll crumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Terrible defending but Christ we are without Cesc, Rosicky,Walcott, Adebayor,Eduardo, I would like to see other teams coping with those missing.

Should you really be including Rosicky and Eduardo in that? It isn't as if those 2 weren't expected to be out when Wenger finalised his squad on August 31st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

What the hell has that go to do with what I said?

They have no spine, put them under any kind of pressure and they'll crumble.

youre talking about being unable to close out a game against a team who absolutely mauled you for 70 minutes

• Advertisement

What's your point? They still couldn't close it out, just like they can't close out any game they play. That's what I'm complaining about. My complaints are about the team, not the game.

DSB wrote: »
    Should you really be including Rosicky and Eduardo in that? It isn't as if those 2 weren't expected to be out when Wenger finalised his squad on August 31st.

Take Gerrard and Torres out of the Liverpool team see how they would get on.

Take Ronaldo and Rooney out of the utd squad see how they would get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Rosicky was expected back in October, and sure Eduardo is pretty much back now.

Really frustrating the team couldnt hold out but in the grand scheme of things its not too bad. We could have easily been 3/4-0 down in the first half and before the match i said I'd be happy with a draw all things considered.

Even Wenger should be able to see the team is considerably lacking especially with all the injuries

Take Gerrard and Torres out of the Liverpool team see how they would get on.

Take Ronaldo and Rooney out of the utd squad see how they would get on.

Take them out while the transfer window is still open and Fergie and Benitez will bring in some kind of adequate replacement, who isn't still in puberty.

playa3 wrote: »
    Rosicky was expected back in October, and sure Eduardo is pretty much back now.

Really frustrating the team couldnt hold out but in the grand scheme of things its not too bad. We could have easily been 3/4-0 down in the first half and before the match i said I'd be happy with a draw all things considered.

Even Wenger should be able to see the team is considerably lacking especially with all the injuries

Does anyone realistically expect Rosicky to ever go half a season without an injury?

Does anyone realistically expect Rosicky to ever go half a season without an injury?

Nope but he was at least expected to play some part in the season. He's one of the players we've missed most imo, even if he's not around all that often.

the two have both had setbacks. As mentioned Rosicky was originally penned down to be back by October. Eduardo was a similar story as well, his recovery was going well ahead of schedule and it looked like he'd be back sometime by November in the summer, but he's had some kind of undisclosed set back around August/September that seemed to throw him back a couple of months.

playa3 wrote: »
    Nope but he was at least expected to play some part in the season. He's one of the players we've missed most imo, even if he's not around all that often.

He most likely WILL play some part in the season, his absence is most certainly not unexpected.

the two have both had setbacks. As mentioned Rosicky was originally penned down to be back by October. Eduardo was a similar story as well, his recovery was going well ahead of schedule and it looked like he'd be back sometime by November in the summer, but he's had some kind of undisclosed set back around August/September that seemed to throw him back a couple of months.

With longterm injuries, these things happen very often. Not at all unexpected. Unfortunate but not at all unexpected. Especially for Rosicky.

In fairness I don't think even Rosicky's setback can be considered expected. It wasn't a long term injury. He was supposed to be out for a couple of weeks originally. 12 months later still no sign of him, something very strange and rare went wrong and he's still out.

• Advertisement

With longterm injuries, these things happen very often. Not at all unexpected. Unfortunate but not at all unexpected. Especially for Rosicky.

Having been 2-1 up with 3 mins up the result is a bit of a let down, but before the game everyone was saying that Villa were nsiled on for the win, a draw is a good result considering no Cesc and Adebayor.

Having been 2-1 up with 3 mins up the result is a bit of a let down, but before the game everyone was saying that Villa were nsiled on for the win, a draw is a good result considering no Cesc and Adebayor.

Villa were missing Laursen and Cuellar who are equally key at the back for Villa. And anyone who considered Villa a dead cert to win needs their head examined. With Laursen in the team I'd definitely have had Villa as favourites though.

Yeah i know what you mean. But Rosicky's was meant to be a 2 week thing(!) Everyone thought once he had his surgery than come October he'd come back and be able to offer something. Now i doubt he'll be back in march, he's seriously ****ed(perhaps permanently) and they still don't know whats wrong entirely. He really doesnt look like he'll play any part at all

Villa were missing Laursen and Cuellar who are equally key at the back for Villa. And anyone who considered Villa a dead cert to win needs their head examined. With Laursen in the team I'd definitely have had Villa as favourites though.

I would say Cesc and Adebayor are more key positions, Villa have certainly spent a good chunk of money on defenders.

As I said take Gerrard and Torres out of the Liverpool team, see how they cope.

I would say Cesc and Adebayor are more key positions, Villa have certainly spent a good chunk of money on defenders

Considering Villa have just pulled Arsenal to shreds today, yet gone and conceded 2 goals to ruin it, I'd imagine that negates your argument. Villa have spent moreso on the full-back positions. Regardless of him scoring the winner, having to play Zat Knight in the centre today was never going to be good news.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Good result.

Need to beat Pompey on Sunday and then bring in a few players over the following couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Despite nearly smashing my keyboard when that goal went in a draw was a good result for us. Never an easy place to go, espcially now (Villa Park). Bring on the Pompey game. 2pm kick off at the Emirates. Must win game. Need to calm down now.

It's definitely a good result. I would have definitely taken it before kick off, and even at half time. It's just the team's inability to defend a lead (or just defend in general) has gone too far now.

I would have thought a defensive centre mid would have been the priority in January but looking at recent games makes me think 2 new centre backs are needed. It's not like there's a recognised weak link at that back, just players prone to making mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

As I said take Gerrard and Torres out of the Liverpool team, see how they cope.

Liverpool 2 - 1 Manchester United.

Silly point. A draw was a good result for the gunners today given that Villa were clearly the better side over 90 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's definitely a good result. I would have definitely taken it before kick off, and even at half time. It's just the team's inability to defend a lead (or just defend in general) has gone too far now.

I would have thought a defensive centre mid would have been the priority in January but looking at recent games makes me think 2 new centre backs are needed. It's not like there's a recognised weak link at that back, just players prone to making mistakes.
    If we had a proper DM, Villa wouldn't have scored that 2nd goal. Someone shielding the defence would make the world of difference. I think we could do with a new centre-half but Gallas is still a top quality defender.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement