Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Apparently Arsene has said on MOTD that he is not going to be buying in Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If we had a proper DM, Villa wouldn't have scored that 2nd goal. Someone shielding the defence would make the world of difference. I think we could do with a new centre-half but Gallas is still a top quality defender.

We had that until Song went off for Ramsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

OPENROAD wrote: »

All managers say that

but it wouldnt suprise me if its true

he really does need to buy some players especially DM and CB

if they dont

i fear for Arsenal in getting that 4 spot

If Arsene doesn't buy in January I'm out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

You're out?

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    If Arsene doesn't buy in January I'm out

To be fair he is probably pissed off being asked it every week.

To be fair he is probably pissed off being asked it every week.

You know how he could stop that.

Buying someone decent.

Having said that:

In Arsene we Trust!

You know how he could stop that.

Buying someone decent.

Having said that:

In Arsene we Trust!

I hope so, I really do.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We had that until Song went off for Ramsey
    Song couldn't pass water and was well on course to an early bath. He's a backup, or at least he should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I would have takena draw last night but my god the 1st half performance was horrible. Wenger must sort this team out on the January transfer window so 4th place can be secured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Arsenal look a team completely lacking in motivation right now. They looked afraid of Villa in the first half, kept kicking the ball into no man's land and inviting Villa to attack, which they did in earnest. Villa could have been 3 up before Arsenal somehow took the lead with their first shot on goal.
    Then in the second half Arsenal looked a totally different team. The swagger was back, the fluid passing was in place. They looked like they were going to completely rout Villa. UNTIL the penalty. It completely knocked teh wind out of their sails. As soon as Villa scored Arsenal were on the back pedal again. They couldn't pass the ball anymore. they were a mess, just like in the first half. I don't think anyone was surprised when the equalizer went in. It looked inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Arsene Wenger linked with Shay Given, Stephen Taylor and Charles Nzogbia in today's NOTW. Its hardly the most reliable source but if the rumour about Given is true I'd be well happy. Still pretty happy about the other two aswell so if it was even a thirs true it might be good news. Plus if NOTW is anything to go by he might have been there to see Martins!

Judging Given by the display he's putting in today, I'd have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Does anybody have a stream link for todays match?

Q2002 wrote: »
    Stephen Taylor and Charles Nzogbia

Alright players. Not Arsenal players imo.

Q2002 wrote: »
    Arsene Wenger linked with Shay Given, Stephen Taylor and Charles Nzogbia in today's NOTW. Its hardly the most reliable source but if the rumour about Given is true I'd be well happy. Still pretty happy about the other two aswell so if it was even a thirs true it might be good news. Plus if NOTW is anything to go by he might have been there to see Martins!

Cant see the Given thing happening. That rumour has been around every transfer window for the last number of years and nothing ever came of it.

He's unlikely to drop Almunia anyway now that he's the acting captain. I dont think he's the top of the list when it comes to problem areas anyway.

Wonder why no other big club has ever gone in for him?

Does anybody have a stream link for todays match?

+1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Wonder why no other big club has ever gone in for him?

Apparently United bidded for him before signing Van Der Sar but he turned them down.

Silvestre in a CB ahead of Djourou and Toure?
    We need to nail down a solid defensive partnership or we'll win nothing, constantly switching our Centre Back's around is doing us no favours.

Especially if Silvestre gets the nod...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Anybody got a working link for the match today? That link Denman put up, isn't a runner for me at all.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Anybody got a working link for the match today? That link Denman put up, isn't a runner for me at all.

Keep trying it. I had to try a few times before it worked for me!

You just have to keep at it, running fine for me (so far). It is the best link out there. We are on channel 3.

Got the link going - cheers lads:pac:

great stuff roddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Missed the first half. Why are Toure and Van Persie not playing but on the bench?

And anyone know why Wenger insists on playing Bendtner ahead of Vela? Vela has shown great potential whereas Bendtner is always rubbish whenever I watch him.

Missed the first half. Why are Toure and Van Persie not playing but on the bench?

And anyone know why Wenger insists on playing Bendtner ahead of Vela? Vela has shown great potential whereas Bendtner is always rubbish whenever I watch him.

Questions I'm asking myself...

You didn't miss much. Crouch hit the post with a header, Adebayor was clean through but Distin made a great tackle. Poor performance so far.

Diaby looking like he might provide something, but you always feel with Diaby that he holds onto holds onto the ball for too long, and can be dangerous when he gets disposessed in midfield.

Hopefully a better second half performance. We need a home win, especially with Everton looking like they could trash Sunderland.

Here's another link (to Setanta):

http://goonerstreams.com/match.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Way we won a game!!

Did Adams get any kinda reception at the start?

Here's how we started

Almunia
    Sagna
    Gallas---Silvestre---Clichy
    Eboue----Denilson---Diaby----Nasri
    Bendtner----Ade

Then we end up like this:

Almunia
    Sagna
    Ramsey--Denilson--Nasri
    Bendtner
    Ade
    Vela

Surely we would have been much better off going for:

Almunia
    Sagna
    Ramsey--Denilson--Diaby
    Nasri
    Ade
    Vela

Bendtner's not a winger by any stretch of the imagination, really can't understand that decision, thought myself that Eboue was playing ok.
    Vela made a huge difference when he came on, if this doesn't cause Arsene to consider giving him more game time I don't know what will.
    Also can't understand the decision not to bring on RVP.
    Diop was fantastic for them, he really controlled the middle.

Nice to have kept the clean sheet too. Lucky to win though. The goal was James's fault. Never really looked like scoring aside from that. Neither did Pompey really for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Diop was fantastic for them, he really controlled the middle.

indeed. wish Arsene would make a cheeky bid for him meself come January... assuming he can still play after that injury he done himself.

indeed. wish Arsene would make a cheeky bid for him meself come January... assuming he can still play after that injury he done himself.

Aye, I wonder was it a new one.
    Or was it just an exacarbation of the injury he had seemed to pick up earlier in the game...

Just wondering can we take Traore back from loan (sorry Tony) in January? We need some cover on the wing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Apparently Wenger told Canal plus he was looking for a creative player and another midfielder.
    “I start feeling the crisis but I can’t spend £40m. We are looking at a creative player and another midfielder.”

Also when asked about signings talking to today he had a smile on his face and admitted the squad was thin
    You can watch that video here http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid958992159?bctid=5920330001

Now all of this may mean absolutely nothing since its Wenger were talking about, still its more promising

Feh, the way the media go on you'd swear we were lucky to come away with a win. Sure Crouchy hit the post, but Adebayor missed two sitters and we were all over them, especially in the second half. Note how Vela's introduction put a certain zing in our step.

playa3 wrote: »
    Also when asked about signings talking to today he had a smile on his face and admitted the squad was thin
    You can watch that video here http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid958992159?bctid=5920330001

Looks like he has something up his sleeve alright. When the interviewer mentioned Arshavin Wenger really looked like he was holding something back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Galvasean wrote: »
    Looks like he has something up his sleeve alright. When the interviewer mentioned Arshavin Wenger really looked like he was holding something back.

Aye, probably won't be Arshavin but if he can find "super, super" quality players along the lines of Sagna/Eduardo type signings it'd be terrific.

[Edit] Heres another promising link along the same lines
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/dec/28/football-premier-league-arsenal-arsene-wenger-andrei-arshavin
    "I don't need to announce a name," Wenger said with a smile when asked by the French television channel Canal Plus about Arshavin, "because when you do that there is 50% less chance of making the signing. But I need a creative midfielder and eventually another midfielder, because we are short."

"The transfer window opens [on Thursday] and, although we are not close to signing anyone at the moment, if we do buy I think what we need is maybe someone with a bit of experience," Wenger wrote in his programme notes for the visit of Portsmouthtoday's .

"We already have many young players so, if we buy, it will be somebody who is ready to play straight away. A loan deal could also be a possibility.

"Cesc is a long way from playing again, so are Tomas Rosicky and Theo Walcott, and these are three creative players that we count on at the start of the season. So what we might need is someone who can create a little spark."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

playa3 wrote: »

Now all of this may mean absolutely nothing since its Wenger were talking about, still its more promising

I'm glad that he's openly admitting that we are lacking anyway and that grin on his face (I would hope) indicates that he is willing to bring some players in, which is great!

That video alone can only keep me happy until February...roll on the new signings! :D

• Advertisement

Apparently we put in a £10million bid for Arteta. And if papaers are to be believed we are strong favourites to sign Given.

Also, apparently Wenger is furious about a little 'visit' Villa's assistant manager paid to the ref at half time:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7800770.stm
    Sounds dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Apparently we put in a £10million bid for Arteta. And if papaers are to be believed we are strong favourites to sign Given.

Arteta and Given (would be the first regular Paddy in the first team since Eddie McGoldrick!) would be great along with a couple of other signings, but don't be getting my hopes up!!!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Eddie McGoldrick!
    Two things come to mind when his name is uttered;
    - terrible penalty
    - notoriously hard to find Premier League sticker.

Did Adams get any kinda reception at the start?

Oh yeah, the crowd sang his name before and also during the match. He gave the Arsenal fans thumbs up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Also, apparently Wenger is furious about a little 'visit' Villa's assistant manager paid to the ref at half time:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7800770.stm
    Sounds dodgy.

have a feeling that might have been what sparked MON & his little spat, Wenger probably made a comment like "is that what you were told to do at half time!?!" to the ref/4th official when Gallas gave away the penalty, MON went nuts and John Robertson had to drag him away.

im sure the whole thing is nothing afterall him and MON shook hands immediatley after but personally I dont like Wengers need to deflect from the fact that his side didnt win by casting doubt over another side.

He has always done it i.e his never seing fouls by his players or admitting that his side might be out of the title race, and argueably its good that he never says anything negative about his own side but despite not being an Arsenal fan id like to hear Arsene be totally honest and just say "we have not been good enough, and we need to improve certain aspects or else we will not have a chance for the title and might have to fight for a CL spot."

if we go for a creative attacking player instead of a centre half/defensive midfielder (both even) it simply beggars belief. The dogs on the street know our centre of defense is crap and yes despite Willie G's goal yesterday, he has been brutal all season.

I think we should buy a new CB and reconvert Gallas into a striker TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Despite his stupdity at times (penalty against Villa :eek:) Gallas is a superb defender imo. He needs a Vidic type alongside however, which Arsenal don't have. I've beeing trying to get my head around Kolo Toure's loss of form and I think I've pinned it down to this; He was vice captain to Gilberto two seasons ago. He's the longest serving player at the club and I think he may have felt slighted by Wengers decision to give it to Gallas at the start of last season. He then went to the AN cup and he hasn't been the same player since. I don't think his head is in it anymore. And if there was one player that could leave with their head held high and with my utmost blessings it'd Kolo.

I'm dismayed at the clubs fall from grace. Just flicking through videos from 2004 and 2002 and seeing what a strong team we used to have. I hate to say it but I fear Arsenal need a new direction, but I think it'll come too late. Whatever is going on at board level the club and AW as a consequence seem to be running it foremost as a business and not as a success driven football team. While I concede such is modern day football, the two concepts can be combined and imo go hand in hand. I'm very pessimistic about 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

MON went nuts and John Robertson had to drag him away

did you see the actual video?

mon didnt go nuts at all

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Helix wrote: »
    did you see the actual video?

mon didnt go nuts at all

actually i only saw robertson having to drag him away

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement