Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mon was walking calmly over to wenger, it looked like he was politely enquiring about something, but before mon even got anywhere near him robbo was dragging him away

all looked pretty bizarre, but mon didnt raise his voice, look angry, or even give wenger the eyes

cson wrote: »
    Despite his stupdity at times (penalty against Villa :eek:) Gallas is a superb defender imo. He needs a Vidic type alongside however, which Arsenal don't have.

Wrong, Djourou needs a Vidic style centre half with him. He is easily our best centre back at the minute.

Im not so sure Gallas has a future at the club. Almunia suggested he's back as he scored a goal. Goal scoring hasn't been WG's problem, its defending and he's been found wanting on many the occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Djourou is overrated by a lot of people in here. A good defender he is, he's a lot to learn yet. Its Kolo Toure being frozen out that has me aghast, the lad is Arsenal through and through. Fabregas has max one more season after this season if even too which has me doubly worried.

yoda.jpg
    cson wrote: »
    A good defender he is, he's a lot to learn yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Galvasean wrote: »
    Apparently we put in a £10million bid for Arteta.
    While I think there are other areas that might be more important to address, I'd cream myself if we signed Arteta. Smashing player with a great balance between skill on the ball and a real bit of fight. Plus it'd definitely take the burden off Cesc a bit.

In fact, Cesc and Arteta could even end up being the partnership (two technically gifted footballers who can also each win the ball back) that we hoped Cesc and Denilson might be.

But we'll see.

jesus i think anyone would be doing well to get arteta for £10m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm sure Everton would be reluctant to sell since he's their Vice Captain. Anyone know contract details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The thing re. central defenders is, slipping into wengervision again for a minute, we currently have Gallas, Djourou, Toure, Silvestre, and even Song that can play there already.

To bring a new one in then one of them surely would have to go.
    Gallas is still a very good defender and I think he should be kept because he is experienced and has some passion, even if he's a bit of a tit sometimes.
    Toure, while his performances have dropped hugely since the ACN, has been such a long serving and loyal player that he deserves the chance to get back to form.
    Djourou is a very talented defender, ok he still has a lot to learn but he's tall and can actually head the ball. Plus he's very good with the ball at his feet.
    Silvestre is the one I'd want to see go obviously. It's not like he's been terrible but still it's not like he's going to get better either. However since Wenger only signed him, I seriously doubt we'll be seeing the back of him any time soon.

The thing about the defence imo is that it's not like it's made up of bad players. Sagna is probably the best right back in the league(the world arguably), Clichy is a world class left back(even if hes made mistakes this term), and then as I've already said, the centre backs we have aren't exacly terrible.

Thats why I don't mind so much if Wenger doesn't buy a defender, though if he does of course a big no nonsense Vidic/Skrtl type would be welcome.

Whats important is just to make sure the quality of the squad is improved, there's no use just buying players for the sake because they happen to play in a particular position. Ideally a proper defensive midfielder would seriously improve the defensive side of things so we can only hope Wenger can sort this out.

As for the creative player, I certainly think it's necessary for us to pick one up, even if its on loan as has been suggested. In most of our recent matches we have seriously struggled to create chances and things aren't gonna get any better with Cesc out. I mentioned this before but Diego would be a class signing, he's tearin up the bundesliga and is only 23.(probably too expensive though)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I think we should buy a new CB and reconvert Gallas into a striker TBH.

For a different team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7803923.stm

The above is very good news both for Arsenal and England. What I found to be incredibly frustrating is why Wenger did not start him against Burney especially after his brilliant game against Wigan. I am a big fan of Jay. Has what it takes to succeed at Arsenal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Prepare to get excited folks, the club have reached agreements to sign two Brazillian players - a centre-half and a striker.

They're both only 15 though. The centre-half is the Brazil U16 captain apparently while the striker scored four goals in a 45 minute trial game against Norwich U16s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They're both only 15 though.

Of course...too old otherwise!
    Brazil U16 captain

The last Brazilian captain we signed was Denilson, who still hasn't made it in my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I had a dream last night my mam rang me and said Arsenal put in a 10 million bid for Veloso and he was on the verge of signing.

That can't be healthy, something better happen quickly in January... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Frisbee wrote: »
    I had a dream last night my mam rang me and said Arsenal put in a 10 million bid for Veloso and he was on the verge of signing.

That can't be healthy, something better happen quickly in January... :o

Dont know who needs more help you or your mam :D

What???

Sometimes I wish Wenger would just keep quiet!

We have never "dominated" the league for more than one (or part of a) season at a time, why does he think this will change?!?

We don't play Liverpool until April and have Chelsea and Man Utd in successive weeks in May. Maybe he feels we have to rake up as much points between now and then considering our place in the Champions League is at stake. We will go on a great run now, I can feel it.

DenMan wrote: »
    We don't play Liverpool until April and have Chelsea and Man Utd in successive weeks in May. Maybe he feels we have to rake up as much points between now and then considering our place in the Champions League is at stake. We will go on a great run now, I can feel it.

You mean another 35 points or as much as the rest of the top 3? I don't think we can match them this year and none of the top teams really look like going on a run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lads, Arsenal really look like they they are riding a proverbial buoyant vessel in a sea of defecate without a maneuvering apparatus.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Lads, Arsenal really look like they they are riding a proverbial buoyant vessel in a sea of defecate without a maneuvering apparatus.

We like to appear as if we are fúcked, but if we sign a few players, actually start playing football and get a few players back from injury we should get 4th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

eZe^ wrote: »

Hop in

....I saaaid, Hop in.
    beardpv6.gif

We need to take the Barca approach and buy a few players that you know, are better than the ones we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ja, Wenger has always managed a really good balance between raw young talent and decent experienced pros ... until recently, that is. Now we've basically got raw young talent plus Billy and Ade.

The squad just needs one or two older consistent players to provide that spark of competition, just a couple of guys that play the same against Stoke and Fulham away as they do against Man U at home. Then we'll be right as rain.

The long term looks great but we need something for the here and now.

gosplan wrote: »
    Ja, Wenger has always managed a really good balance between raw young talent and decent experienced pros ... until recently, that is. Now we've basically got raw young talent plus Billy and Ade.

The squad just needs one or two older consistent players to provide that spark of competition, just a couple of guys that play the same against Stoke and Fulham away as they do against Man U at home. Then we'll be right as rain.

The long term looks great but we need something for the here and now.

What about van Persie, Eduardo, Rosicky, Eboue, Clichy, Toure and Almunia? They definitely have to be rated as experienced too!

I'm really hoping Arsene has deals for Veloso and Alonso wrapped up and will go threough at 12:01 tonight.
    I'll be waiting at the tv expectantly...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I wouldnt hold my breath. Its 3.54am my time and I havent heard a thing!!

i don't mind AW buying a defensive midfielder but buying Arteta is only congesting the creative midfield area and would hamper Denilson, Song, Diaby and Ramsey's development. i agree we need experience and leaders and arteta is a fine fine player...id prefer alonso to arteta though as he combines defensive work with creativity.

the Gokhan Inler rumours are cropping up again i see. we've been linked with all in sundry today but the arteta rumours have most intensity. i hope we dont lose toure.

We can't afford to lose Toure. Though if he does leave it's only Arsene's fault for playing that dope Silvestre ahead of him.

I too would rather Alonso than Arteta. Arteta used to play the same kind of position as Alonso but when he came to Evertone it just wasnt working for him so he was moved to left mid. If he can make that position his own at Everton he might be worth a punt. Although Alonso would be a better buy.

I really don't rate Inler at all. Am I alone in this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

surely if Toure actually left a CB would have to be signed in this window though and one Arsene would actually play.

I also dont rate Inler as much all that much but not seing him regularily I could be wrong about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Does the window end tonight?

Does the window end tonight?

It hasn't even opened yet. Will remain open until the end of January.

Jay Simpson gone out on loan to West Brom and cannot be recalled if we run into trouble.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_bromwich_albion/7798372.stm

Transfer window now open, have we signed anyone yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Transfer window now open, have we signed anyone yet?

Arteta,Alonso,Yaya,Vidic,Given,Inler,Arshavin,Ben Arfur,Henry,Pires,Reyes,Viera,Parlour,Adams,Groves,Merson,Smith,Marwood,Limpar,Hillier,Thomas...marching through the midfield,Thomas,it's up for grabs now,Thomassssssssssss.....

No.

Memories though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Kolo has handed in a transfer request apparently?
    Any truth in this or just paper talk again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Kolo has handed in a transfer request apparently?
    Any truth in this or just paper talk again?

who the f*ck knows with the state of the rags these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What happened with Toure? Was it just some bad performances, then dropped, and now wants to leave?

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    What happened with Toure? Was it just some bad performances, then dropped, and now wants to leave?

Wenger is a racist apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Looks like it's true alright. Sky are usually pretty reliable:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4728697,00.html

Toure joined Arsenal seven years ago and is the last member of 'The Invincibles' squad, which remained undefeated for the duration of 2003/04, still at the club.

Mad that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Looks like it's true alright. Sky are usually pretty reliable:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4728697,00.html

well that's pretty much a betrayal then... despite playing consistently sh*te for the past year Wenger gave him an awful lot of chances to redeem himself.

but at the same time, this kinda thing is happening far too often at Arsenal now adays... is Wenger up to it anymore? cultivating that backed into the corner team mentality was always one of Wengers strengths, but in the past few years it seems to have gone missing. It seems to me he hasn't been able to relate to his players for a while now.

back to the Toure thing; I'd be happy to see him go, he's been found out imo. 2 years ago i loved him, but i don't see that player anymore. the only thing is, who is out there to replace him with?

Toure isn't going anywhere. The club have apparently rejected his transfer request.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

is Wenger up to it anymore? cultivating that backed into the corner team mentality was always one of Wengers strengths, but in the past few years it seems to have gone missing. It seems to me he hasn't been able to relate to his players for a while now.

I don't entirely agree that he's not up to it anymore.
    What I think is Wengers weakness (and it has been evident for a while now) is his apparent inability to keep players happy when they're not in the team. For example Flamini, Diarra etc and now Toure wants out. Players seem to be content enough to sit on the Utd and Chelski benches, hence they have big squads and strength in depth. But whenever a player can't get regularly into our first team they're off the first chance they get.
    This is only my personal opinion of course but it does seem to be the case or maybe all footballers do the same except Wenger doesn't do enough to keep them?

Arteta and Given would be handy signings since they are both eligible to play in the Champions League.

Arteta and Given would be handy signings since they are both eligible to play in the Champions League.

Personally think Wenger will consider this when bringing players in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Still think £18m would be far better spent on a defensive player instead of Arshavin.

Still think £18m would be far better spent on a defensive player instead of Arshavin.

Couldn't agree more with ya. It needs to be spent on a defensive player before Arshavin

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement