Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't agree; we've only scored 9 goals in our last 11 games and with Cesc out now along with Rosicky and Walcott, it doesn't look like getting better any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I don't agree; we've only scored 9 goals in our last 11 games and with Cesc out now along with Rosicky and Walcott, it doesn't look like getting better any time soon.

Maybe, but put a decent defensive player in the middle of the park who can pass and goals will come. We also have Eduardo to come back from injury and hopefully Vela get more chances.
    I'd rather see the defensive side of midfield sorted before we start worrying about goals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Maxi Rodriguez maybe. He has been having a terrific season with Atletico Madrid. My biggest worry is that Wenger will buy an unknown who for the first year will be nothing special then will evolve into a superstar. But not much use this season !

redout wrote: »
    Maxi Rodriguez maybe. He has been having a terrific season with Atletico Madrid. My biggest worry is that Wenger will buy an unknown who for the first year will be nothing special then will evolve into a superstar. But not much use this season !

Aye, we need someone established to be a leader for the younger heads.
    Maxi Rodriguez could be woth a punt, not sure if Wenger would go for him though.

Premiership Years 07/08 is on Sky.
    My God I miss Flamini...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Watford have signed Gavin Hoyte on loan until the end of the season.

Surely he'll be able to do a job for us in the Championship? He's preety good isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

SantryRed wrote: »
    He's preety good isn't he?

any time i've seen him he's been near hopeless. He is supposed to be the better of the two Hoytes, but it wouldn't take much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4731970,00.html

Not the best news to start the week with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

keano_afc wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4731970,00.html

Not the best news to start the week with.

Personally i think that statement from the club is basically to tone down their desparation for players. The need to bring new players to the club will jack up the price if a seller is likely to think Arsenal are desparate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

redout wrote: »
    Maxi Rodriguez maybe.

Arsenal signed him in my current game of Football Manager...
    Of course they also sold Alex Song to Inter for €17million. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Galvasean wrote: »
    Arsenal signed him in my current game of Football Manager...
    Of course they also sold Alex Song to Inter for €17million. :pac:
    Well, Mourinho rates Song highly so you never know... :)

Looks like Shay is ready to submit his transfer request:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4731939,00.html

SSN reckon Eduardo and Vela may make appearances in tomorrow's game against Plymouth..

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3087952,00.html
    Should Wenger wish to give his front line a fresh look then the likes of Eduardo or Carlos Vela could be outside contenders to feature against the Championship outfit.

Also Nordveidt has returned from loan. Perhaps he will appear in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Personally i think that statement from the club is basically to tone down their desparation for players. The need to bring new players to the club will jack up the price if a seller is likely to think Arsenal are desparate

I don't know, maybe! I certainly hope so...we haven't spent any money in 5 bloody years!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Arsenal defend with possession. They need somebody to score goals and then the games become easy as pie for them. Arshavin would be an excellent choice, better than a Flamini style character, although you need both.

PHB wrote: »
    Arsenal defend with possession. They need somebody to score goals and then the games become easy as pie for them. Arshavin would be an excellent choice, better than a Flamini style character, although you need both.

We haven't replaced Flamini and don't have an adequate replacement and with Fabregas out, we don't have a replacement for him either...if we fail to buy an attacking and defensive midfielder, we may as well hand Villa 4th right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Did I read somewhere a few days ago that Flamini said it was a mistake to go to Milan and that he'd love to go back to Arsenal?

Or did I just imagine that?

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere a few days ago that Flamini said it was a mistake to go to Milan and that he'd love to go back to Arsenal?

Or did I just imagine that?

I read it too, but I'm pretty sure it was all lies...can't remember what the source was!

jasonorr wrote: »
    I read it too, but I'm pretty sure it was all lies...can't remember what the source was!

At least I'm not going crazy then. It'd be great for ye to get him back though, however unlikely that might be. Can Toure not play in midfield? (And I'm not getting confused with his brother:p)

At least I'm not going crazy then. It'd be great for ye to get him back though, however unlikely that might be. Can Toure not play in midfield? (And I'm not getting confused with his brother:p)

I'd love to have him back, if he wanted to play for us. Toure can play there, but so can Song and Denilson...doesn't mean he'd be any good!

• Advertisement

I'd love to have him back, if he wanted to play for us. Toure can play there, but so can Song and Denilson...doesn't mean he'd be any good!

I just figured with Toure's experience (that is, more experience than Song and Denilson) that it could be worth giving him a run there, seeing as he's not even first choice CB anymore (and I think it's ridiculous that Silvestre is being picked ahead of him, why Wenger?)

I just figured with Toure's experience (that is, more experience than Song and Denilson) that it could be worth giving him a run there, seeing as he's not even first choice CB anymore (and I think it's ridiculous that Silvestre is being picked ahead of him, why Wenger?)

I dunno what's going on there, but hopefully Gallas will be sold and Toure slots back in! I've seen Toure play further up the pitch before and to be honest he doesn't really look like he knows what he's supposed to be doing, loads of energy and running though not very well directed!

I dunno what's going on there, but hopefully Gallas will be sold and Toure slots back in! I've seen Toure play further up the pitch before and to be honest he doesn't really look like he knows what he's supposed to be doing, loads of energy and running though not very well directed!

Then that's my question answered. Keep him in the defense... I've been wrecking my head trying to think of a DM they could get in Janurary, even if it's just short term (Someone old or a loan till the summer) I can't think of anyone besides Veloso.

Then that's my question answered. Keep him in the defense... I've been wrecking my head trying to think of a DM they could get in Janurary, even if it's just short term (Someone old or a loan till the summer) I can't think of anyone besides Veloso.

I've heard rumours of Dacourt on loan, he's 34 now...if this is true, it makes you wonder why we let Gilberto go!

I've heard rumours of Dacourt on loan, he's 34 now...if this is true, it makes you wonder why we let Gilberto go!

dacourt wouldn't be a bad short term solution. a guy who would hit anything that moved. just what we need. bit better then Gilberto i reckon but then gilberto was highly respected at the club

Fabianski to start tomorrow's game v Plymouth.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/fabianski-handed-fa-cup-role-this-season
    Wenger also say he will field his 'strong' team in the FA Cup. We have a strong team? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Dacourt was a very good player at Leeds. I am sure he is doing a great job for Roma right now. However Serie A is a much more lesser paced league than the Premiership. Will he be able to keep with the pace at 34?

Why havent we signed Veloso yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

DenMan wrote: »
    Dacourt was a very good player at Leeds. I am sure he is doing a great job for Roma right now. However Serie A is a much more lesser paced league than the Premiership. Will he be able to keep with the pace at 34?

He's at Inter now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Frisbee wrote: »
    Why havent we signed Veloso yet?

because Wenger spent all Arsenals transfer funds down the bookies betting that Villa would get 4th and is now looking at targets like 34 year old Dacourt even though he usually ships out people once they hit 30

because Wenger spent all Arsenals transfer funds down the bookies betting that Villa would get 4th and is now looking at targets like 34 year old Dacourt even though he usually ships out people once they hit 30

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
    Your a bad man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

sorry couldent resist, as ive said before though Veloso does seem like the ideal signing for Arsenal atm even if he is their only signing and as far as im concerned he is relativley cheap from recent reports 8-10m.

i am more intregued by what arsenal do this transfer window than anyone else (cept Villa) though cos imo a hell of a lot is riding on it.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...oure-s-request

Thank God. If that dope Silvestre ended up replacing Kolo I would go insane...

JPA wrote: »
    He's at Inter now.

Oops......I stand corrected. :o

Galvasean wrote: »

Hmmm dunno what happened there.
    But yeah thats it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I've been wrecking my head trying to think of a DM they could get in Janurary, even if it's just short term (Someone old or a loan till the summer) I can't think of anyone besides Veloso.

Appiah on a free. To be honest, im kind of astonished yee haven't gotten him signed up already considering he's been a free agent for months and would be a great solution for your midfield woes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Considering he's been a free agent for months and nobody's signed him, I would bet there's something wrong there. Probably his ambigious free agent status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Considering he's been a free agent for months and nobody's signed him, I would bet there's something wrong there. Probably his ambigious free agent status.

it's probably more to do with his medical status. I'd say no one is willing to sign him on a long term contract because of it. These days even MLS clubs are turning him down apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

To quote arseblogger this morning:

"There are other clubs in the Premier League whose finances are coming under intense scrutiny, including one very, very high profile club who are struggling in a big way to keep the weight of their debt from collapsing the whole place."

Any idea who he's referring to????

gosplan wrote: »

"There are other clubs in the Premier League whose finances are coming under intense scrutiny, including one very, very high profile club who are struggling in a big way to keep the weight of their debt from collapsing the whole place."

Chelski would be my guess

• Advertisement

my guess is west ham though abramovich lost a fortune last year too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Thats what I thought aswell. But he said "Up there" meaning the North.
    Now I thought it was newcastle but its supposedly liverpool.
    Dont know where he got that info! But it wouldnt be surprising.

I think the next few years there will be a few firesales going on. Like what we have at West Ham at the moment.

Upson please!

my guess is west ham though abramovich lost a fortune last year too

That's a complete myth I'm afraid. He lost very little of his fortune compared to others, and still has a net worth above or around the 20 billion mark. Most of his assests were liquid, like cash, and as such, not susceptable to the crash like other peoples wealth.

As for who it could be, United are in pretty dire financial straights, but are keeping afloat by success on the pitch. Liverpool are also in pretty dire financial straights aswell.

He was on the forbes list with a total value of 4.5 billion pounds sterling when he bought Chelsea. I believe it has gone up to 7-8 billion and has fallen again. There is no way he is at the 20 billion mark. He was at 11.7 before the credit crunch and despite what people say he has been it hard. Lakshmi Mittal is still way ahead in the UK.

Anybody spot Mr Usmanov at number 5? Seems he has put a temp end to buying up shares at Arsenal.

http://www.richest-people.co.uk/

We can expect to see a fairly strong team today by Arsene's comments.
    We're missing Kolo and Denilson through injury, team will probably look like:

Fabianski

Sagna
    Gallas
    Djourou
    Clichy

Eboue
    Song
    Ramsey
    Nasri

Ade----Bendtner

Bench: Vela, Eduardo, Silvestre, Diaby, Gibbs, RVP, Mannone.

I'd prefer to see Vela start ahead of Bendtner and Eduardo get 15 minutes or so at the end.
    We could always use this tie to try something different, I wouldn't mind seeing:

Fabianski

Sagna
    Gallas
    Djourou
    Clichy

Diaby---Song---Ramsey

---Nasri
    Vela---

Ade

Just for the craic like :pac: It won't happen, but It would be interesting to see how Vela and Nasri perform as out and out wingers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I guess that the way he's writing it as if it were common knowledge means that it must be West Ham. I mean if there were rumours about Man U or Pool, why wouldn't he just say 'there are rumours about Man U or Pool'?

The 'very, very high profile club' thing threw me off. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Thats the thing though. He said another high profile club.
    Re Roman

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1711/chelsea/2008/12/30/1033562/roman-abramovich-to-sell-either-chelsea-or-yacht-reports

Not sure how true all this is.

2009 will be a very interesting year were the excess of the past will be eh... the past:o.

Arsenal should win 2-0 today, Plymouth will be up for it but it should be no contest.

"watch now they lose 0-1"!!

Actually is Song suspended today?
    If so we should see Diaby and Ramsey in the middle

DenMan wrote: »
    He was on the forbes list with a total value of 4.5 billion pounds sterling when he bought Chelsea. I believe it has gone up to 7-8 billion and has fallen again. There is no way he is at the 20 billion mark. He was at 11.7 before the credit crunch and despite what people say he has been it hard. Lakshmi Mittal is still way ahead in the UK.

Anybody spot Mr Usmanov at number 5? Seems he has put a temp end to buying up shares at Arsenal.

http://www.richest-people.co.uk/

Em, I'm not sure where you're getting your sources, but

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/10/billionaires08_Roman-Abramovich_DG3G.html

• Advertisement

Anyone have a stream?
    Goonerstreams is down..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement