Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Q2002 wrote: »
    Link

He's on loan at Norwich from Fiorentina

Apart from the loan spell at Treviso he looks to be doing fairly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Link

He's on loan at Norwich from Fiorentina

aye, i saw that. my question really is though why he came back to England? Didn't he reject a contract offer from Arsenal so he could move back to Italy or am i raving? it doesn't seem to say anything on the wiki page.

aye, i saw that. my question really is though why he came back to England? Didn't he reject a contract offer from Arsenal so he could move back to Italy or am i raving? it doesn't seem to say anything on the wiki page.

Probably after his career went belly up in Italy he decided to move back to England.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Dos Santos me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Wouldn't mind him and of course a huge plus is he does not play international football :D

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/116498/IRELAND-IS-TOP-GUNNER.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Typical Wenger. Looks at the one player we don't need from possibly the only team in the world that doesn't need to sell. If I was buying from Man City I'd much prefer Kompany or Richards. To be honest I can't see any of these three happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

N'Zogbia linked today also, wouldn't be a bad signing imo

N'Zogbia is no better than what we already have. Ireland on the other hand has been in excellent form this season. Not that there's a hope in hell City will sell him (not for less than 40million IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Apparently, wenger is monitoring Mikel Arteta very very closely . I reckon he would be a brilliant buy , the guy oozes class. How much i wonder?

• Advertisement

Apparently, wenger is monitoring Mikel Arteta very very closely . I reckon he would be a brilliant buy , the guy oozes class. How much i wonder?

Papers are saying 10-12 million. Good value for a player of his calibur, who is also eligible to play in the Chanpions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Galvasean wrote: »
    Papers are saying 10-12 million. Good value for a player of his calibur, who is also eligible to play in the Chanpions League.

Wow that would be an absolute steal. Do you think he will go for 12 million ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

It would be a fantastic signing. Think of the possibilities. He can be a very offensive player, scores goals and also defensively tracks backs and covers a lot of grass. Problem for Everton is if they let him go, it shows an alarming lack of ambition and other players at the club might follow suit. I'd love him here nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There's nothing behind the Arteta rumor beyond that he'd be a good signing for Arsenal right now.

His contract of around 50K a week(estimate) lasts until about 2012 so Everton really don't need to sell him this year.

Perhaps if we offered him a better wage and he requested to leave, Everton might not stand in his way of joining a big 4 club ... but I imagine we'd still have to pay over the odds for him (like 20 million or something) which I just can't see happening.

All that said, I'd be delighted if Arsenal signed him. Can't ever see Rosicky coming back at this stage and the only other cover for Cesc I can ever see being good enough is Ramsey.

This is just an obvious rumor involving two big clubs that the papers will run and run with when they've nothing else to print. Unfortunately, I'd imagine there's no truth to it - Pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can't see Arteta going for less than 15 personally.

Cardiff away in the fourth round. Not the worst draw.

• Advertisement

Not the best either. Very tricky tie away at Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Galvasean wrote: »
    Arturo Lupoli scored for Nowich today. Anyone remember him?

Yup, I remember him and Rossi in the Italian youth team, there goalscoring record was ridiculous...

I think it would, he's no better than we already have and we're already carrying enough chaff imo

If we can get Arteta and he starts playing in the Alonso/Pirlo role aka shielding the passes going onto the defence and spraying the ball around it would be a good signing. Don't think it would be a good signing if we sign him just to play left mid..

I doubt we will get Arteta. Well not for the 10-12million the papers seem to think. The guy has 5 years left on his contract at Everton and is their vice captain. Id say it would take at least 16million to obtain his services, which in today's market is a decent price, but you know Wenger and money.
    Maybe 10million up front plus clauses might do the trick.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arteta would play right mid if we signed him. Walcott would rotate the flanks with him and Nasri while Rosicky (if fit) would be backup for left mid. Eboue would go in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Zero chance of us signing Arteta. Didnt Wenger juat say he wasnt interested in him???

• Advertisement

Wengers best signing this window might be to tie down Walcott SSN just reported that Walcott would be free to leave next January for £400k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Wengers best signing this window might be to tie down Walcott SSN just reported that Walcott would be free to leave next January for £400k.

lot of grumbles coming from the Walcott camp over him not having been offered another contract yet. dare i say it, sounds a bit like Flamini all over again. that's how it started was it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If Arsenal let Walcott go, I'd walk if I was Wenger.

Des wrote: »
    If Arsenal let Walcott go, I'd walk if I was Wenger.

Well it would be Wenger's doing if he didn't tie Walcott down after all the hassle we went through to get him tbf.

Also...

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-i-am-not-interested-in-inler

Thank God for that, he's a donkey.

The quality of any new signing is more important than their Champions League eligibility, according to Arsène Wenger.

The Arsenal manager is optimistic about adding to his squad in January. However, one of the main problems of buying in the mid-season break is that most of your potential targets will be cup-tied in Europe’s top competition.

Ideally, Wenger wants any acquisition available in all competitions but it is not a deal-breaker.

“I would like to think longer term,” said the Frenchman. “If the right player comes in, even if he is not available for the Champions League, his class is more important for me.”

Top class at that. Speaking after the win over Plymouth, he re-iterated once more that all of his targets must be significantly better than the young talent he already has at his disposal.

“That’s a problem,” he said. “At the moment I feel that if we do add somebody, we need to add somebody who has a special class because we have good players.

“[For example] take a player like Ramsey. They show that they grow. Of course they still show lapses, a lack of experience, but they have quality and they can grow quickly.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/euro-eligibility-no-deal-breaker-for-signings

The first three highlighted paragraphs I am translating to:
    "I plan on signing Miguel Veloso or Xabi Alonso"

The final highlighted paragraph better not be the 'internal solutions' he was going on about. Ramsey is good, but I sure as hell don't want him starting at Centre Mid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

apologies if he has been reported allready
    Arsenal defender Mikael Silvestre is facing three weeks on the sidelines after suffering a thigh injury in the FA Cup third round win over Plymouth.

The former Manchester United man limped out of the action at Emirates Stadium after just 30 minutes on Saturday with youngster Kieran Gibbs coming on in his place.

Gael Clichy and Kolo Toure both missed the weekend victory over Argyle through injury, with Silvestre's absence giving manager Arsene Wenger an additional defensive headache.

Although Silvestre will now be sidelined until the end of January, Wenger is hoping Clichy will be fit to return against Bolton on Saturday.
    Short

"It is a thigh problem," Wenger said. "[He will be out for] Three weeks, 21 days.

"I have to look at it but at the moment with the injuries we are a little bit short everywhere. I hope Kolo will not be out for a very long time because he has an inflamed groin.

"On the left-hand side we are a bit short but Gael Clichy should be back for next week."

"I have to look at it but at the moment with the injuries we are a little bit short everywhere. I hope Kolo will not be out for a very long time because he has an inflamed groin."

Does it matter Arsene your not fcuking playing him....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Frisbee wrote: »
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/euro-eligibility-no-deal-breaker-for-signings

The first three highlighted paragraphs I am translating to:
    "I plan on signing Miguel Veloso or Xabi Alonso"

I'm sorry but the chances of Wenger going for Xabi Alonso are zilch now, he has been Liverpools best player this season by a mile imo and is back to his best form of a few years ago, you had your slim chance in the summer I'm afraid.

I still reckon you's will go for Arshavin.

People have to stop linking us with Alonso. Bar Gerrard he's been 'pools best player this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The final highlighted paragraph better not be the 'internal solutions' he was going on about. Ramsey is good, but I sure as hell don't want him starting at Centre Mid...

I think he just means that in the future (not immediately) Ramsey has the quality to step up.
    apologies if he has been reported allready

Good news to be honest, it might force Wenger to actually buy a decent defender rather than a back-up player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Seriously - people have to stop this rabid lust for signings of any description.
    Does it matter Arsene your not fcuking playing him....
    In fairness, Toure & Gallas have rarely (bar a period early last season) set the world alight as a partnership. And Toure has been seriously out of shape since mid-last season. So why would he play Toure with Gallas or even ahead of him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

say City actually push through their intrest in Kolo who Arsene doesent seem to start strangely anyway with a big bid of 12-15m would Wenger actually spend big on a few players with that plus the money he already has or just get a relatively unknown but quality CB replacement for around 6m and give the club the rest?

sounds stupid but that just seems his style.

I agree though that people should stop linking Arsenal to Alonso or YaYa though as neither are leaving their clubs. Add to that wenger saying he isnt interested in Inler you should get some new DM rumours altogether, although Veloso would still be a great signing fo you imo

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Seriously - people have to stop this rabid lust for signings of any description.

In fairness, Toure & Gallas have rarely (bar a period early last season) set the world alight as a partnership. And Toure has been seriously out of shape since mid-last season. So why would he play Toure with Gallas or even ahead of him?

Because he's a loyal player, who can get back to his best with a spell in the team, maybe alongside a different player. Gallas will leave sooner or later, so we should at least be prepared for that!
    say City actually push through their intrest in Kolo who Arsene doesent seem to start strangely anyway with a big bid of 12-15m would Wenger actually spend big on a few players with that plus the money he already has or just get a relatively unknown but quality CB replacement for around 6m and give the club the rest?

sounds stupid but that just seems his style.

I agree though that people should stop linking Arsenal to Alonso or YaYa though as neither are leaving their clubs. Add to that wenger saying he isnt interested in Inler you should get some new DM rumours altogether, although Veloso would still be a great signing fo you imo

I don't think Wenger would allow Toure to leave (unless he felt the situation was unrepairable) or that City would offer so much, but Wenger probably won't spend big (if at all) in this window.

I agree about Alonso and Yaya, both are playing very well in teams who look like they have a real chance of winning something this season, why the hell would they come to Arsenal!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Because he's a loyal player,

Didn't he just hand in a transfer request!!

That's what loyal players do these days. :(

Glad that Kolo changed his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Was just thinking that.

DenMan wrote: »
    Glad that Kolo changed his mind.

Or had it rejected!!

Boggles wrote: »
    Was just thinking that.

He's been practically dropped from the team, I'd be píssed off too! He's been at the club almost 7 years now and has been a great player for us, I'd much rather we sold Gallas than him, no matter who's playing better at the moment because I feel Gallas is likely to leave anyway, which would leave us with Silvestre and Djourou!

He's been practically dropped from the team, I'd be píssed off too!

He was dropped for being muck, handing in a transfer request because of it doesn't really show loyalty now does it?

Working hard and promising to do better would, No?

• Advertisement

He was dropped for being muck, handing in a transfer request because of it doesn't really show loyalty now does it?

Working hard and promising to do better would, No?

I don't think he's been muck really (compared to Gallas anyway), lacking fitness since the ACN maybe! I think he's been unfairly treated this season and Gallas has been shown more leniency (maybe because he was stripped of the captaincy). If the same was done to Gallas, he'd be gone...no question. Yes Toure handed in a transfer request, but since he removed it / it was rejected he hasn't come out complaining, so I think that's sorted.

Because he's a loyal player, who can get back to his best with a spell in the team, maybe alongside a different player. Gallas will leave sooner or later, so we should at least be prepared for that!
    So you'd drop the man who is still our best centre-half... bring in a loyal player purely because of his loyalty (despite his efforts to leave, which I don't think really should come into this but you started it :))... and then continue to complain that Arsenal don't win every competition they're in?

Wenger is doing his best for the club (financially) and the team (by playing his best players in the combinations that he feels work best) right now - you can't have it every way.

He shouldn't play him ahead of Gallas. But he sure as hell should be playing him ahead of that dope Silvestre.

He had a tiff with Gallas over something apparently and thought he was out of favour. I can understand his logic with that dope Silvestre playing ahead of him.*

Also I don't seriously think we'll get Alonso or Yaya, I'm just dreaming. Veloso should be our main target.

*Twice so you know how serious I am.

He shouldn't play him ahead of Gallas. But he sure as hell should be playing him ahead of that dope Silvestre.
    Okay you've answered one part of the question but why should he play them together when they've never really been a great combination? Partnerships take time to gel most of the time - they've had plenty of chances without ever really doing that so it's most certainly time to try Silvestre/Gallas and/or Djourou/Gallas instead.

Fine, it's his mistake to have tried to pair them originally but no sense compounding the error by constantly repeating it.

Fair enough if he wants to try Gallas/Djourou or Toure/Djourou.
    But Silvestre getting in at CB ahead of Djourou or Toure is ridiculous for me...

Silvestre is a fine fine player. Wenger knows now he owes Ferguson one, probably Fabragas in the summer and they'd be evens. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Aaanyway, heres some good news! Wilshere signs professional terms with Club
    Arsène Wenger said: “We are delighted that Jack has signed a professional contract with us. Jack is a player with great potential, with an ability to find the final ball and also score goals.

“Jack is a passionate and committed young player, he is not afraid of tackles and I am convinced he will have tremendous penetrative power in a few years.

“We have already seen Jack’s qualities in both his first team performances and in training on a regular basis, and we look forward to Jack being an important part of our first team for years to come.”

Everyone at the Club is looking forward to Jack’s continued contribution and development with Arsenal in the forthcoming years.

Silvestre is a fine fine player. Wenger knows now he owes Ferguson one, probably Fabragas in the summer and they'd be evens. :D

Silvestre should be nothing more than cover for the ridiculously timed injury plagues we seem to get hit by so often. Nothing more.

He shouldn't play him [Toure] ahead of Gallas.
    Fair enough if he wants to try ... Toure/Djourou.
    Sorry, I'm not trying to be pedantic but wouldn't that require playing Toure ahead of Gallas?

Anyway, point is that I was never making a case for Silvestre - I'm just saying that Gallas and Toure shouldn't be our first-choice centre back partnership. For me, Gallas and Djourou is probably our best combination at the moment but the team has to defend as a whole anyway no matter who we play at CB, which just isn't happening at the moment.

And now I'm done :)

Sorry, I'm not trying to be pedantic but wouldn't that require playing Toure ahead of Gallas?

Anyway, point is that I was never making a case for Silvestre - I'm just saying that Gallas and Toure shouldn't be our first-choice centre back partnership. For me, Gallas and Djourou is probably our best combination at the moment but the team has to defend as a whole anyway no matter who we play at CB, which just isn't happening at the moment.

And now I'm done :)

Yes it would. But if we're talking about trying to find a solid CB partnership with the players we have then surely he should try the Toure/Djourou combination aswell.
    No need to be so pedantic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think that Toure could do a job as a defensive midfielder for you guys. Has he ever been given a go there?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement