Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I think that Toure could do a job as a defensive midfielder for you guys. Has he ever been given a go there?

He used to play LM for us when he arrived till Wenger dropped him back.
    He played CM for the Ivory Coast for a while aswell.
    Before this season I would have said it was a definite no. Too much of the headless chicken about him when he gets further up the pitch.
    However considering how are season has gone so far I wouldn't mind him be given a go there if he's now 4th choice CB...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Frisbee wrote: »
    Too much of the headless chicken about him when he gets further up the pitch.
    I still think this is the case and say it every time someone suggests it - Toure's greatest strength as a CB is his athleticism which makes up for his poorish positional sense. In midfield, Alonso/Gerrard/Scholes/Pirlo/take your pick would have him lost and the key pass played before his athleticism would come into play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    So you'd drop the man who is still our best centre-half... bring in a loyal player purely because of his loyalty (despite his efforts to leave, which I don't think really should come into this but you started it :))... and then continue to complain that Arsenal don't win every competition they're in?

Wenger is doing his best for the club (financially) and the team (by playing his best players in the combinations that he feels work best) right now - you can't have it every way.

It's not about dropping Gallas our best centr-half, it's about dropping
    Gallas the cúnt who will leave us given the chance for Toure who has been just as good as him in the past and (I'm sure) having sorted his form and winning back his place will stay at the club for years to come, if not we could lose both! Which would you prefer???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Silvestre should be nothing more than cover for the ridiculously timed injury plagues we seem to get hit by so often. Nothing more.

Indeed. Now Silvestre is injured. Oh irony! :pac:

Galvasean wrote: »
    Indeed. Now Silvestre is injured. Oh irony! :pac:

I know, however we're not too badly injury hit atm

Kolo and Silvestre injured

So:

Sagna
    Gallas
    Djourou
    Clichy

Cover:
    Eboue, Gibbs, Nordtveit.....

I see Mark Van Bommel is available. Ive always rated him.Tough midfielder which we need right now. ill admit i havent followed much of his career lately and his wages are prob massive but he'd certainly provide leadership and a great foil for Cesc.

van Bommel could be an instant fix alright.
    Looking at that list I wouldn't mind Lucas Neill on a free...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He used to play LM for us when he arrived till Wenger dropped him back.
    He played CM for the Ivory Coast for a while aswell.
    Before this season I would have said it was a definite no. Too much of the headless chicken about him when he gets further up the pitch.
    However considering how are season has gone so far I wouldn't mind him be given a go there if he's now 4th choice CB...

I see where you are coming from regarding the headless chicken comment but I think his energy and commitment would count for quite a bit in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

van Bommel could be an instant fix alright.
    Looking at that list I wouldn't mind Lucas Neill on a free...

An Arsenal fan saying that they wouldn't mind Lucas Neil... I thought I would never see the day :D

I see where you are coming from regarding the headless chicken comment but I think his energy and commitment would count for quite a bit in that position.

Playing against Stoke or WBA maybe.
    But as soon as he came up against someone like Alonso, Scholes, Ireland, Ballack. Anyone with a decent passing range, he would be ripped apart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

i hate the transfer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

gosplan wrote: »

+1

+1

I'll let yis know my feeling on the subject in roughly 26 days or so...

Unfortunately we need it this year.
    I see Mark Van Bommel is available. Ive always rated him.Tough midfielder which we need right now. ill admit i havent followed much of his career lately and his wages are prob massive but he'd certainly provide leadership and a great foil for Cesc.

Why does the Sun's website make both of my browsers crash EVERY time? :(

Van Bommel is 31 and plays in the German 1st division. Would he be able to pick up the pace for the Premiership?

Unfortunately we need it this year.

Why does the Sun's website make both of my browsers crash EVERY time? :(

Van Bommel is 31 and plays in the German 1st division. Would he be able to pick up the pace for the Premiership?

If we got him cheap/free and at low wages I reckon it's worth a punt.
    No chance of Wenger going for him imo though

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Some of the suggestions here make me want to tear my eyes out.

I say we get Adams in, no not as manager as CB! :cool:

Some of the suggestions here make me want to tear my eyes out.

Such as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Man City have bid £24 mill for Yaya....so we won't be getting him.....and that would make the North that bit more appealing to Kolo..........Uhoh.

• Advertisement

Such as?

N'Zogbia.

Man City have bid £24 mill for Yaya....so we won't be getting him.....and that would make the North that bit more appealing to Kolo..........Uhoh.

Source?
    Actually, never mind, he won't go to Citeh. He's staying put at Barca

N'Zogbia.

Your dead right about that, I discounted that one myself.
    Thought he was talking about van Bommel.
    While he wouldn't be the answer to our prayers it could be a cheap quick fix, and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

Players we've been linked with that I'd like:
    Given, Chilieni, Arteta, Arshavin, Alonso, Barry, Upson

Ones I think we have a realistic chance of signing:
    Upson.

Such as?
    Toure in midfield, N'Zogbia, Nordtveit as backup, Lucas Neill, Upson... there are probably more, but it is too distressing to look.

Toure in midfield, N'Zogbia, Nordtveit as backup, Lucas Neill, Upson... there are probably more, but it is too distressing to look.

Toure and N'Zogbia your right about.

I listed Nordtveit as back up as that what he is for the moment. We have no other fit defenders really. When Toure and Silvestre regain fitness he won't be needed as back up. But for now he's the best option.

Personally I think Neill and Upson could both be got on the cheap and would be good squad players..

• Advertisement

Right now I'd much rather Song or Sagna in there over a player whose entire career in professional football consists of 15 appearances in the Norwegian and Spanish second tiers.

Upson and Neill are both average footballers on the wrong side of their peak who'd command hefty wages and would offer us neglible improvements. We've 3 CBs who are at the very least as good as Upson, while the best Neill might do would be to edge out Eboue and Toure for backup RB.

Right now I'd much rather Song or Sagna in there over a player whose entire career in professional football consists of 15 appearances in the Norwegian and Spanish second tiers.

Upson and Neill are both average footballers on the wrong side of their peak who'd command hefty wages and would offer us neglible improvements. We've 3 CBs who are at the very least as good as Upson, while the best Neill might do would be to edge out Eboue and Toure for backup RB.

I completely forgot about Song.

Well cover then would be made up of:
    Eboue, Song, Gibbs, Nordtveit.

I'm not saying I want him to play, but I can't see the harm in listing him as cover. Isn't that what the reserve team is for, to fill the gaps if the first team is hit by injury?

Yes we've three CB's as good as Upson, but in a situation like now when two are injured and you don't want Nordtveit as cover couldn't Upson come in handy?

I completely forgot about Song.

Well cover then would be made up of:
    Eboue, Song, Gibbs, Nordtveit.

I'm not saying I want him to play, but I can't see the harm in listing him as cover. Isn't that what the reserve team is for, to fill the gaps if the first team is hit by injury?

Yes we've three CB's as good as Upson, but in a situation like now when two are injured and you don't want Nordtveit as cover couldn't Upson come in handy?

They're both on loan, so they don't really count as cover at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

jasonorr wrote: »

That must have been a differnet Kieran Gibbs who came on after a half an hour on Saturday so...

Nordtveit just returned from his loan spell at Salamanca.
    And Gibbs played on Saturday, unless he's been loaned out since then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

I think the reason players are reluctant to sign for us is because of the section in the contract that states "you must be willing to sit out large parts of every season, of which you are under contract to Arsenal football club, with long term injury."
    Arseblogger reckons we're looking at Bullard and Laurson? Laursen I'd jump at (not in a homo way) but Bullard I'm not so sure about!

keano_afc wrote: »
    That must have been a differnet Kieran Gibbs who came on after a half an hour on Saturday so...
    Nordtveit just returned from his loan spell at Salamanca.
    And Gibbs played on Saturday, unless he's been loaned out since then...

Fair enough, I was only half watching the FA Cup game on a stream, so I didn't realise Gibbs was back (actually, when was he on loan? I may have been thinking of someone else)! As for Nordtveit, I hope he goes out on loan again as at 18, he should only be used sparingly for first team duties and didn't get much of a chance at Salamanca

I think the reason players are reluctant to sign for us is because of the section in the contract that states "you must be willing to sit out large parts of every season, of which you are under contract to Arsenal football club, with long term injury."
    Arseblogger reckons we're looking at Bullard and Laurson? Laursen I'd jump at (not in a homo way) but Bullard I'm not so sure about!

Apparently Laursen could be in serious trouble with this knee injury, it's worse than expected. Don't think we need another sick note, otherwise I'd jump at him.

I've always liked Bulllard as a player, don't think he's the answer for us though, would rather spend the money somewhere else...

Apparently Laursen could be in serious trouble with this knee injury, it's worse than expected. Don't think we need another sick note, otherwise I'd jump at him.

Perfect sisning for us then!
    I've always liked Bulllard as a player, don't think he's the answer for us though, would rather spend the money somewhere else...

I can't say I'd be over the moon if we signed him, but just how fussy can we really be? If it comes down to Bullard or nobody? It has to be Bullard!

I can't say I'd be over the moon if we signed him, but just how fussy can we really be? If it comes down to Bullard or nobody? It has to be Bullard!

If it comes down to Bullard or nobody then Bullard.
    However I'm hoping either it won't get to that, or Arsene will have spent already and Bullard is a last minute buy as cover or something...

Personally I think Neill ... could ... be got on the cheap and would be a good squad player.
    Lucas Neill is currently on 70k a week. He won't get 70k again next time but if he moves on a Bosman, he'll be doing what every other Bosman transfer does and extracting higher wages than he actually deserves. Add to that the fact that he's distinctly meh as a player and I wouldn't be that tempted personally.

At the moment Arsenal can proudly boast of (a) very solid finances and (b) having some very skilful young talent on our books. Signing people like Lucas Neill or Charles N'Zogbia and paying them money to not play for us would improve neither of these things so I'd rather sign nobody than go that road.

If it comes down to Bullard or nobody then Bullard.
    However I'm hoping either it won't get to that, or Arsene will have spent already and Bullard is a last minute buy as cover or something...

After the last transfer window, I'm not to hopeful to be honest, I do like surprises though and every now and again Wenger surprises me in the transfer window!

(a) very solid finances

I take issue with this bit. How solid are our finances if we can't go out there and buy adequate and much needed replacements?

Maybe when the board and Wenger say solid they mean, just another 24 more years (or however long it is) of spending no money and we'll be sorted!

I take issue with this bit. How solid are our finances if we can't go out there and buy adequate and much needed replacements?
    Much-needed how though?

Yes, we probably need more/better players to win a league again but I think a lot of Arsenal fans are missing the point that we haven't really been putting all our eggs in the league-winning basket for the last few years. We don't need better players to guarantee Premier League survival, we mightn't need better players to secure Champions League football again and we mightn't even need better players to win the Champions League itself this season. And that's what the club is set up to aim for at the moment if you ask me, not risking big amounts of money with no extra guarantee that you'll win the league.

Current domestic and European champions United have forked out 45m or so since the end of last season and it guarantees nothing come next May. Except more debt.

Much-needed how though?

Yes, we probably need more/better players to win a league again but I think a lot of Arsenal fans are missing the point that we haven't really been putting all our eggs in the league-winning basket for the last few years. We don't need better players to guarantee Premier League survival, we mightn't need better players to secure Champions League football again and we mightn't even need better players to win the Champions League itself this season. And that's what the club is set up to aim for at the moment if you ask me, not risking big amounts of money with no extra guarantee that you'll win the league.

Current domestic and European champions United have forked out 45m or so since the end of last season and it guarantees nothing come next May. Except more debt.

To be honest, we do need to spend to ensure we qualify for the Champions league this year and with Man City and all their cash added to Villa (who I can only assume will be stronger again), next season will be tougher again! Even Spurs will eventually be banging on that door!

As for winning the Champions League this year? I severely doubt it, maybe Nasri can take on Fabregas' role or Rosicky might return, but our midfield is a shambles at the moment and, our strikers aren't exactly setting the world alight and we're leaking goals like there's no tomorrow!

Please tell me how you see us as having a chance in the Champions League???

• Advertisement

Upson...

What would be so wrong with Upson? He's an England international CB and shouldn't cost too much due to the Hammers' financial woes. Considering our defense is plagued by injuries at the moment and our two top CBs don't like playing with each other I think he could be a good hole stopper.

What would be so wrong with Upson? He's an England international CB and shouldn't cost too much due to the Hammers' financial woes. Considering our defense is plagued by injuries at the moment and our two top CBs don't like playing with each other I think he could be a good hole stopper.

That's what I thought until West Ham turned down an 11million offer from Villa saying they wanted 15mill for him. :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's what I thought until West Ham turned down an 11million offer from Villa saying they wanted 15mill for him. :eek::eek::eek:

He'd be a good signing for ye alright, but the price quoted is a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

As for winning the Champions League this year? I severely doubt it, maybe Nasri can take on Fabregas' role or Rosicky might return, but our midfield is a shambles at the moment and, our strikers aren't exactly setting the world alight and we're leaking goals like there's no tomorrow!

Cant agree with that, as you have eluded to, our midfield is a shambles yet RVP and Ade have scored 15 league goals between them with one having been out injured and the other suspended, personally think upfront is the last place we need re-inforcements ( apart from maybe gettin rid of bendtner, tis worse he's improving, but with Eduardo coming back and vela slowly but surely getting game time, he'll be 5th choice soon anyway)

Cant agree with that, as you have eluded to, our midfield is a shambles yet RVP and Ade have scored 15 league goals between them with one having been out injured and the other suspended, personally think upfront is the last place we need re-inforcements ( apart from maybe gettin rid of bendtner, tis worse he's improving, but with Eduardo coming back and vela slowly but surely getting game time, he'll be 5th choice soon anyway)

23 in all competition, but 5 teams have score as much or more than us in the league this season, so we need more goals (not necessarily another striker)! Van Persie has been good, as for Adebayor I'm not the biggest fan! He scores goals, but he's wasteful, lazy and is always off side (most offside player in the league and champions league last season, I think)! If Eduardo comes back as good as when he got injured, I'll be very happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Maybe when Eduardo is eased back into first-team action, Wenger will play him on the left-wing with Nasri coming into the centre? I recall seeing him play there a couple if times last season. Probably wouldn't buy another WG / AM then till the summer.

Vokes wrote: »
    Probably wouldn't buy another WG / AM then till the summer.

I hope he doesnt buy one then as look at the possibilities we have in those positions:

Left Wing: RVP, Eduardo, Vela, Nasri

Right Wing: Nasri, Walcott, Eboue, Wilshere.

Up Front: RVP, Ade, Vela, Eduardo, Bendtner.

The center of midfield needs to be sorted first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

This looks to be the first rumour with actual legs:

From Sky Sports

16.26 Zenit St Petersburg have confirmed to Sky Sports News that talks are taking place with Arsenal regarding a deal for Andrei Arshavin.

Amazingly disappointed at that Arshavin deal. Can't believe Wenger is choosing that area of the squad to strengthen....

Lads anything to be said for Michael Johnson from Citeh? I know it sounds wierd but hear me out:

- Box-to-Box Midfielder
    - Young, only 20, so Wenger would like it.
    - Could probably be got on the cheap considering Citeh have now brought in Parker.

I never would have considered him before but if most of our budget is blown on Arshavin it could be worth a shout...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If the Arshavin thing is true it's almost as if Wenger is allowing himself to make a purchase, as he can say that injury's (cesc, rosicky, walcott) have forced him to strengthen in that position. It's not that his youngsters aren't good enough, and he'll persevere with them in other areas where experienced reenforcements are desperately needed.

In 3-4 months time Cesc, Rosicky and Walcott will all be back. The same shítty defence and lack of a defensive midfielder will still be there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement