Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I don't see what the problem is with the potential signing of Arshavin myself. At least he's a quality player and can definitely add something extra to the attack with Theo, Cesc and Rosicky out especially. I trust that if he is signed than he will actually provide a necessary boost to the team.

Sure look at the Sagna signing. At the time we had Eboue at RB and he was doing fairly well so many thought it was an unnecessary signing, but because he turned out to be such a quality player we can now see why he was signed.

I do fully realise that a defensive mid would be what we need most, but whats the point in signing a load of mediocre players just for the sake of it? You have to bear in mind that top quality defensive mids just might not be available at the moment, there's not too many around that i can think of that would make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's not a priority right now (defense), we'll address that over the summer. Right now we need goals...goals...goals. Need to temp adopt a Brazilian approach "you score two, we score five" and blow the competition away and secure fourth.

Get Arshavin in quickly and think of the beautiful creative opportunities we will have. *thinks of Arshavin, RVP and Adebayor combinations/link ups*. Can't wait. Our run in until we face Liverpool in April is pretty good and we still have to face both Chelsea and Utd in successive weeks in May. Lets rack up as many points as we can. Villa's last two games of the season are Boro (away) and Newcastle (home), very difficult games.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Amazingly disappointed at that Arshavin deal. Can't believe Wenger is choosing that area of the squad to strengthen....

Lads anything to be said for Michael Johnson from Citeh? I know it sounds wierd but hear me out:

- Box-to-Box Midfielder
    - Young, only 20, so Wenger would like it.
    - Could probably be got on the cheap considering Citeh have now brought in Parker.

I never would have considered him before but if most of our budget is blown on Arshavin it could be worth a shout...

Also, he hasn't been signed! This could very well end up just like all those past Ribery, Ben Arfa etc. type things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

playa3 wrote: »
    I do fully realise that a defensive mid would be what we need most, but whats the point in signing a load of mediocre players just for the sake of it? You have to bear in mind that top quality defensive mids just might not be available at the moment, there's not too many around that i can think of that would make a big difference.

I'm not talking about signing a load of mediocre players for the sake of it.
    I'm talking about using our budget to buy one good DM, the position we need most desperately, rather than Arshavin, an aspect of our game that requires less urgent attention...

I'm not talking about signing a load of mediocre players for the sake of it.
    I'm talking about using our budget to buy one good DM, the position we need most desperately, rather than Arshavin, an aspect of our game that requires less urgent attention...

Yeah but do you really think the likes of Pool or Barca are really gonna sell Alonso or Yaya?

• Advertisement

Yeah but do you really think the likes of Pool or Barca are really gonna sell Alonso or Yaya?

Absolutely not.

Miguel Veloso is surely worth at least an inquiry though.

And we let Stephen Appiah go, now he's training with Spurs, that was a massive opportunity missed. Yes he has struggled with injury, but he was a free agent and I'd say we could have signed him on cheap wages.

Absolutely not.

Miguel Veloso is surely worth at least an inquiry though.

And we let Stephen Appiah go, now he's training with Spurs, that was a massive opportunity missed. Yes he has struggled with injury, but he was a free agent and I'd say we could have signed him on cheap wages.

For all we know he has tried to inquire about Veloso and been told no, he's not one to tap up a player and force a move. Sure we'll probably hear about how he almost signed him in a few years time as he's crowned world player of the year:p

Seriously though. I do agree that it would be great to sign a really good DM if we ccould, but i still think that Arshavin could add a lot to the team.

For all we know he has tried to inquire about Veloso and been told no, he's not one to tap up a player and force a move. Sure we'll probably hear about how he almost signed him in a few years time as he's crowned world player of the year:p

Seriously though. I do agree that it would be great to sign a really good DM if we ccould, but i still think that Arshavin could add a lot to the team.

I couldn't agree with you more. However I just wish a battler in the middle of the park was prioritised.

But sure none of us know what Wenger has up his sleeve. For all we know he's been given a budget of 30million and wisely kept quiet so teams won't take us to the cleaners when we inquire about players.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

[BROKENRECORD]Ye have to sign Kevin Nolan[/BROKENRECORD]

mayordenis wrote: »
    [BROKENRECORD]Ye have to sign Kevin Nolan[/BROKENRECORD]

I had that conversation with my mate earlier....

• Advertisement

I had that conversation with my mate earlier....

Which side were you on?

Which side were you on?

No sides, we were just discussing the pros and cons of such an idea.
    We remain undecided, well I do. He's dead set on it being a great move....

No sides, we were just discussing the pros and cons of such an idea.
    We remain undecided, well I do. He's dead set on it being a great move....

I can't see the downside - I reckon at this age and with the shift he's put in at Bolton they would probably not block the transfer,
    Let's just say you got him for 5 million,
    He's a complete box to box midfielder, excellent passer, can score great goals, good delivery, can still play in the Champions League, and would probably be chomping at the bit to get a run with a real top side, especially as he's been so unfairly overlooked over the years with the england setup, fast forward a year or two and he's most likely still an excellent squad player or sold on for a similar price.

If we got him for 5 million that would be a steal and I would bite Megson's hand off for him at that price.

If we got him for 5 million that would be a steal and I would bite Megson's hand off for him at that price.

Maybe I'm being a bit over the top with his price, but his contract has 2 years left, he's 26, and while this is obviously somewhat detracting his form has been reasonably poor for the last 6-12 months by his standards.
    But maybe again I'm being too forgiving on a player who I have a soft spot for, but with 9 years at a club that he is better than it's easy to see how you could rest on your laurels or be somewhat under-motivated.

5million was probably too cheap but I actually reckon you would get him at 7-9, god knows ye could do with him as part of the english quota thingie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

5million was probably too cheap but I actually reckon you would get him at 7-9, god knows ye could do with him as part of the english quota thingie.

I don't think that will ever come in as an English rule, homegrown yes, but not English and so it won't affect us!

jasonorr wrote: »
    I don't think that will ever come in as an English rule, homegrown yes, but not English and so it won't affect us!

aye it's nonsense, did I put a :pac: or a :p after my post? silly me

DenMan wrote: »
    Need to temp adopt a Brazilian approach "you score two, we score five" and blow the competition away and secure fourth.

That is so depressing. The fact that halfway through the season, fourth would be a good thing. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Left Wing: RVP, Eduardo, Vela, Nasri

Right Wing: Nasri, Walcott, Eboue, Wilshere.

Up Front: RVP, Ade, Vela, Eduardo, Bendtner.
    I really don't think it's fair that 3 of those four left-sided players are also 3 of the 5 strikers listed. And the 4th is also listed on the right side. To me, you've just made an even better case for someone who'd thrive in that kind of area.
    jasonorr wrote:
    Please tell me how you see us as having a chance in the Champions League???
    Because the CL is rarely just won by the best side with luck playing no part whatsoever. We've definitely got a chance - and while Cesc's injury is a blow, if we can get past Roma, a rested and refreshed Fabregas coming back at that stage would be a huge boon.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    That is so depressing. The fact that halfway through the season, fourth would be a good thing. :(

I know, unthinkable isn't it. So far as Arsenal are concerned now Aston Villa are top of the league and sitting on that last Champions League place. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd are the main 3 going for the title and maybe it might allow us back into it come the middle of April, our run in is not that bad until then. Need to rack up points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd are the main 3 going for the title and maybe it might allow us back into it come the middle of April, our run in is not that bad until then. Need to rack up points.

Yea the same way our start was the easier start to the season, and look at how we took advantage of that!!

Mourinho keeping tabs on Eboue.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4759475,00.html

Geremi, a player we were linked with in the past may be leaving Newcastle. A player I would personally love at Arsenal. Would make a brilliant addition to our set up, and at 30 years of age is hardly over the hill.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4759489,00.html

Hopefully this will speed up the deal as Zenit are only talking to Arsenal about the transfer of Andrei Arshavin to Arsenal.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4759126,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Interesting ideas re: Nolan and (Magic) Johnson. Either win could potentially do a job.. at the right price of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yaya thinking of joining up with Kolo - allegedly............

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/football/Toure-I39m-thinking-of-joining.4854065.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

"Gunners defender on Mourinho's wish list"

He's welcome to him!!!

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/football/Toure-I39m-thinking-of-joining.4854065.jp

He's been allegedly thinking that for about 3 years. Much better chance of Kolo joining Barca TBH.

Geremi, a player we were linked with in the past may be leaving Newcastle.
    Even apart from anything else, he'd be leaving to get first-team football. And there's no way he should be guaranteed that at Arsenal.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Even apart from anything else, he'd be leaving to get first-team football. And there's no way he should be guaranteed that at Arsenal.

If he is experienced and good enough then there is no reason why he shouldn't get in the team and the fact that he may be available is another incentive for us. A proven winner in my books.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

hmm experienced available winner you say, always thought a player not good enough to get in the newcastle side wouldent be good enough for Arsenal but i guess times must have changed eh?

• Advertisement

He was their captain before they signed Parker. He got injured and lost his place in the team. That's no reason to discount him. He is a very good player and has a lot of experience, experience which could help us in the potentially difficult games where teams will get at us.....like Bolton this weekend.

I'll believe it when I see it.
    "Gunners defender on Mourinho's wish list"

He's welcome to him!!!

I don't want to see Eboue go. He's excellent cover for RM and RB.

If he is experienced and good enough then there is no reason why he shouldn't get in the team and the fact that he may be available is another incentive for us. A proven winner in my books.
    Okay it's late and I'm tired so I'm not gonna go off on one... but I really really wouldn't agree that Geremi is an experienced winner who's so much better than what we've got that he'd join us expecting first team football.

And being available (while better than being unavailable) should not be an incentive to go for a player independent of the club's actual need for that player. I'm available to be signed but it shouldn't make me an attractive possibility for Arsenal.

the potentially difficult games where teams will get at us.....like Bolton this weekend.
    People who bandy about the Bolton and Blackburn stereotype seem to forget that earlier this season, we played these two teams away from home in consecutive weekends and won 3-0 and 3-1 (or something very similar).

Two of our worst results this year (Hull and Fulham) came against sides who, yes, work hard but are in no way roughhouse teams who play 'lump it up to the big man' football.

hmm experienced available winner you say, always thought a player not good enough to get in the newcastle side wouldent be good enough for Arsenal but i guess times must have changed eh?

Hmmph, exactly. It seems some of us are happy to grab anyone 'experienced' which can sometimes translate to 'over-the-hill'.
    I'd rather have no holding midfielder thana bad one.

That's not a priority right now (defense), we'll address that over the summer. Right now we need goals...goals...goals. Need to temp adopt a Brazilian approach "you score two, we score five" and blow the competition away and secure fourth.

Are you for real? more like we score 4 and you also score 4!! defense is our achilles heel. you strengthen where needed.
    Amazingly disappointed at that Arshavin deal. Can't believe Wenger is choosing that area of the squad to strengthen....

Lads anything to be said for Michael Johnson from Citeh? I know it sounds wierd but hear me out:

- Box-to-Box Midfielder
    - Young, only 20, so Wenger would like it.
    - Could probably be got on the cheap considering Citeh have now brought in Parker.

now your talking. Johnson would be a serious option considering that kompany and Parker are now in front of him in that DM role and a wenger type signing. was all on for Upson until i heard that absurd 15m tag mentioned. 'Crock'-son can stay where he is if that is the case. hes not that good.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Hmmph, exactly. It seems some of us are happy to grab anyone 'experienced' which can sometimes translate to 'over-the-hill'.
    I'd rather have no holding midfielder thana bad one.

Very true. People who are talking about Geremi and N'Zogbia just seem to want any signing...

Very true. People who are talking about Geremi and N'Zogbia just seem to want any signing...

*Newsfalsh* Arsenal unveil new signing Séan Markey.

The 22 year old Irish defender, who currently plays for The Soccer Forum, can play on the right or the middle, has expressed his delight at joining the club of his dreams.
    Although I don't expect to walk into the first team straight away, if I put my head down and work really hard it should only be a matter of time before the boss notices me.

Sections of the Arsenal fan club are said to be delighted with the a signing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I hope he doesnt buy one then as look at the possibilities we have in those positions:

Left Wing: RVP, Eduardo, Vela, Nasri

Right Wing: Nasri, Walcott, Eboue, Wilshere.

Up Front: RVP, Ade, Vela, Eduardo, Bendtner.

The center of midfield needs to be sorted first and foremost.
    van Persie, Eduardo, Vela and Eboue are extremely average on the wing; Nasri and Walcott are young, inconsistent and injured regularly while Wilshere has never even started a league game. With Fabregas out we are woefully short of creativity in midfield.
    Johnson falls into that category too. Another inexperienced kid for the DM role, one who'd cost a decent bit of wedge and who can't get into that position in a Man City side with a defensive record worse than ours.

Johnson falls into that category too. Another inexperienced kid for the DM role, one who'd cost a decent bit of wedge and who can't get into that position in a Man City side with a defensive record worse than ours.

I would say Johnson would cost us very little as I doubt he's in Hughes' plans now after buying Parker to play with Kompany.
    He's young and has potential, and is better atm than Song or Denilson.

You're right yahoo, I'm not arguing with you. We do need experienced players who can help us. We missed out on Appiah, who may very well do a brilliant job for Tottenham, should they keep them, one we missed out on.

tipp gunner....I'm not sure about you, but I don't hear us being linked with any defensive players right now. Nothing on Upson yet. Anybody Wenger wants to bring in, he would want to have them on board in the next 7-10 days or so to enable them to train with their new team mates and help prepare the club for the next five months.

• Advertisement

Just reading the paper there and it's interesting to see we have the 6th and 7th richest owners in British football with Kroenke and Usmanov.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He's young and has potential, and is better atm than Song or Denilson.
    Not in my view. At the very most he's fractionally better but we need quality, not numbers.

Not in my view. At the very most he's fractionally better but we need quality, not numbers.

I couldn't agree more with you. But if we're not going to bring in proven quality in that position I wouldn't mind seeing it happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Well said. I couldn't agree more. We have enough mediocre players at the club without adding to it. Its proven quality we need.

Apparently Arshavin has had a big sexy going away party with all his mates:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1108804/ANDREI-ARSHAVIN-EXCLUSIVE-I-want-prove-good-I-am.html

Man, I love midnight news flashes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

How about bringing back Senderos?
    Seriously I think he has been missed this season. We have no height at the back any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

jank wrote: »
    How about bringing back Senderos?
    Seriously I think he has been missed this season. We have no height at the back any more.

I agree, he was error prone but he showed he had the ability to do it plenty of times, it's simply a case of confidence (which Wenger doesn't seem to be great at instilling these days)

anyone been keeping tabs on him? is he playing at all for Milan?

Only what I saw in the UEFA Cup. I wouldn't be surprised if they bought him. He's a very good defender for the Italian style of play. He would always play best for us in the Champions League than the League.

I agree, he was error prone but he showed he had the ability to do it plenty of times, it's simply a case of confidence (which Wenger doesn't seem to be great at instilling these days)

According to Wikipedia since moving he has played a grand total of... once.
    Man i hope that's not up to date..

edit: since their biography of his time at milan consists of "On August 27, 2008, Arsenal confirmed that Senderos has left to join AC Milan on a season-long loan." I doubt it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Galvasean wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia since moving he has played a grand total of... once.
    Man i hope that's not up to date..

he actually seems to have made two.

to answer my own question, he got injured in a preseason friendly, came back for an Italian cup match, and then went off in that wafer Cup match having redone it (AC rushed him back apparently as Kaladze was injured at the same time or something).

he appears to be back in full training at the moment though, if the photo's of Beckham are anything to go by.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement