Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

keane2097 wrote: »
    What's happening with Arshavin now?

Well apparently Arsenal offered £10million up front with a further 5million in appearance clauses, but Zenith want more money up front so now Arsenal are gonna try £12million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

keane2097 wrote: »
    What's happening with Arshavin now?

Zenit rejected a 10 million bid. No one else is after him, or no one is showing an official interest. I think 10 mill was a bit of a cheek but I guess if they get no other offers we might get him for under 15....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Its such a shame that Diaby's passing is muck because he has bags of ability, but I don't think he's going to cut it at Arsenal. If lack of transfer funds is an issue at Arsenal at the moment surely we could offload Eboue, Diaby and Bendtner as they really are deadwood and bring in someone of real quality. Eboue was rubbish again yesterday, I watched the whole game on Setanta and I don't remember him getting a single cross in from the right. Instead he kept cutting inside and cluttering up the box, to the point where Adebayor ended up on the wing the whole time trying to get crosses in.

Eboue - Good cover for RB and RM. If we sold him we'd have to bring in someone else that can do both jobs or two people to do each.

Diaby - CM is our problem position and you want to get rid of our best offensive CM after Cesc?

Bendtner - Don't want him sold. Maybe put him out on loan or something, but he's useful for battering defences.

Anyone else in a similar predicament to me?
    Me and a mate are thinking about visiting the Emirates to watch a match but are scared that we may end up watching a game similar to the Bolton one, ie: the opposition setting up camp in their own half and making it boring..

Galvasean wrote: »
    Anyone else in a similar predicament to me?
    Me and a mate are thinking about visiting the Emirates to watch a match but are scared that we may end up watching a game similar to the Bolton one, ie: the opposition setting up camp in their own half and making it boring..

I was so close to being at the Pompey game.
    Thank god we decided against it...

We were thinking March but the only home game is against Blackburn and I can imagine that being much of the same. In early April we have Man City, they might play some ball, BUT I fear in desperation for points they might not. Next home game aint til the 25th and thats Middlesborough, whom I cant imagine coming out to play against us away from home.
    Think I'll have to hope we beat Roma and have a Champions league game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm heading over to the Sunderland game. The bus will probably be on the pitch alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

There is this little side called Roma coming to visit the Emirates on the 24th of february. I could be wrong but I dont think the will set up camp in there own half especially when a priceless away goal will be up for grabs but thats just me.

redout wrote: »
    There is this little side called Roma coming to visit the Emirates on the 24th of february. I could be wrong but I dont think the will set up camp in there own half especially when a priceless away goal will be up for grabs but thats just me.

Hard enough game to get tickets for though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Frisbee wrote: »
    Eboue - Good cover for RB and RM. If we sold him we'd have to bring in someone else that can do both jobs or two people to do each.

Diaby - CM is our problem position and you want to get rid of our best offensive CM after Cesc?

Bendtner - Don't want him sold. Maybe put him out on loan or something, but he's useful for battering defences.

Eboue-
    Cover for RB maybe, wouldn't go as far as to say good cover though. And he's proven time after time that he can't play in midfield. In the season and a half that he's been playing at RM he hasn't had a good game there yet.

Diaby-
    (...our best offensive CM after Cesc) That doesn't mean he's any good, it just goes to prove how poor our squad actually is. As I said in my earlier post, I want to get rid of him and replace him with quality because he's not the answer. I don't mean to just sell and leave a big hole there.

Bendtner-
    2 premiership goals all season, both against Bolton. Enough said.

These guys just aren't good enough to be in our Arsenal team, and as long as they are we'll win nothing! Out of these 3 players, which of them do you think would be good enough to get into the Utd, Chelski or Liverpool teams? NONE of them would! So then why should we (Arsenal fans) be content with sub-standard players lining out for us week after week. Remember Its not that long ago that we had the best players in the world all throughout the team, now Diaby is our best offensive Midfielder while Cesc is out? I'm sorry, and maybe I'm alone in my thinking, but I think thats Pathetic!

Eboue-
    Cover for RB maybe, wouldn't go as far as to say good cover though. And he's proven time after time that he can't play in midfield. In the season and a half that he's been playing at RM he hasn't had a good game there yet.

Diaby-
    (...our best offensive CM after Cesc) That doesn't mean he's any good, it just goes to prove how poor our squad actually is. As I said in my earlier post, I want to get rid of him and replace him with quality because he's not the answer. I don't mean to just sell and leave a big hole there.

Bendtner-

These guys just aren't good enough to be in our Arsenal team, and as long as they are we'll win nothing! Out of these 3 players, which of them do you think would be good enough to get into the Utd, Chelski or Liverpool teams? NONE of them would! So then why should we (Arsenal fans) be content with sub-standard players lining out for us week after week. Remember Its not that long ago that we had the best players in the world all throughout the team, now Diaby is our best offensive Midfielder while Cesc is out? I'm sorry, and maybe I'm alone in my thinking, but I think thats Pathetic!

It's silly to say get rid of Diaby because he is poor and he doesn't deserve to be in the team. If we get rid of him then we only have Ramsey to go in there as a creative spark and he's far too young. I'd rather have Diaby in there myself.

As for Bendtner getting both his goals against Bolton. If we hadn't have had Bendtner yesterday we wouldn't have scored. The fact that he's scored twice against Bolton obviously shows he's handy to have around as backup for when a team throw ten men behind the ball against us.

We don't have the money to go buy a replacement RB/RM or RB and a RM if we sell Eboue so selling him makes no sense, and if we sold him we'd certainly have to bring in a RB as injury cover for Sagna.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

one negative if arshavin does sign imo is it will probably further limit Vela's time on the field and I already feel he is deserving of more of a chance.

one negative if arshavin does sign imo is it will probably further limit Vela's time on the field and I already feel he is deserving of more of a chance.

Agreed, at least he's getting on around the 60 minute mark now. And it's obvious he's making a big difference to the game when he comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

With all due respect, how anyone could make a case for keeping Bendtner in the arsenal team is beyond me. Yes he scored yesterday, but he was appalling the rest of the time.

Basically, a really really bad version of Berbatov

SlickRic wrote: »
    With all due respect, how anyone could make a case for keeping Bendtner in the arsenal team is beyond me. Yes he scored yesterday, but he was appalling the rest of the time.

Basically, a really really bad version of Berbatov

We need to hold onto Bendtner because when playing teams like Bolton who sit ten men behind the ball he's handy to bring on as his physicality is good for lumping balls into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

What's the story with van Persie's contract. Read somewhere online this morning, that he only had 6 months left to run. Surely would have thought we had learnt our lesson last year (if it's true).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Roddy23 wrote: »
    What's the story with van Persie's contract. Read somewhere online this morning, that he only had 6 months left to run. Surely would have thought we had learnt our lesson last year (if it's true).

I doubt that very much, he would be able to talk to clubs about a free signing right now if that were the case! Not sure how long he has left though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

• Advertisement

Van Persie is under contract until 2011.

Edit: Dang, I lose.

We need to hold onto Bendtner because when playing teams like Bolton who sit ten men behind the ball he's handy to bring on as his physicality is good for lumping balls into the box.

I see your point, i really do. but adebayor can surely provide that option? plus he's actually good.

arsenal's problem against the ten men behind the ball, as with liverpool (my team), is that the have no natural width. so teams can play narrow defensively and know that unless they make a mistake itll take something special to get through them

SlickRic wrote: »
    I see your point, i really do. but adebayor can surely provide that option? plus he's actually good.

arsenal's problem against the ten men behind the ball, as with liverpool (my team), is that the have no natural width. so teams can play narrow defensively and know that unless they make a mistake itll take something special to get through them

Yeah Adebayor can do it. But has he been doing it? No.

I'd disagree with your point about not having width. Atm we're stuck in that regard.
    But when fully fit Walcott and Nasri supply plenty of width.

Yeah Adebayor can do it. But has he been doing it? No.

I'd disagree with your point about not having width. Atm we're stuck in that regard.
    But when fully fit Walcott and Nasri supply plenty of width.

natural width in terms of stretching teams? they both like to come inside a lot. walcott a little less so. clichy and sagna provide width too i'll admit.

i don't think arse have enough natural width. its something utd have over all their title rivals. ronaldo, giggs, park, nani (even tho he's utter rubbish), evra, rafael all provide a better range of width than any other of the top teams (it hurts to say!).

thus they will create more chances because they have more options in how the can break down a team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Eboue-

Diaby-

Bendtner-

In fairness, none of them is in the first 11. They're all playing because of injuries to other players at the moment.

Offload the three of them and we'll have Denilson, Song, Nasri, Ramsey, Vela, Van Persie and Adebayor for 6 places.

They're squad players, not the ones that will win you titles but they aren't really won when your best and second best attacking midfielders, best winger and one of the better forwards are facing lengthy lay-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I would 100%, no questions about it, have Diaby ahead of Lucas, I think people are being very hard on Diaby I actually think he could be a very good player and I read somewhere at the weekend that Mourinho was enquiring about him, as for the other two well I feel sorry for Eboue cos i just think he's limited and not very bright but at least he tries he's best, probably a little too hard at times and Bendtner just gives off the impression that he thinks hes the dogs b*llox when in fact he is a long way from being even an average premiership striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

He may actually be right about a thing or two. I felt they were going over quite easily and making a meal out of any contact with Davis. It's to be expected though if he keeps elbowing people and getting away it.

However football is definitely not a man's game, and it's a piss poor excuse for the way he conducts himself on the pitch. He's just trying to get sympathy from people who hate the diving and playacting.

He may actually be right about a thing or two. I felt they were going over quite easily and making a meal out of any contact with Davis. It's to be expected though if he keeps elbowing people and getting away it.

However football is definitely not a man's game, and it's a piss poor excuse for the way he conducts himself on the pitch. He's just trying to get sympathy from people who hate the diving and playacting.

I'd say Wenger had no problem with them doing it as he knew it was winding Davies up.
    I really have no time for diving or playacting but I hate the way Davies gets away with fouls all the time that would have anyone else booked.

17.13 Sources close to Sporting Lisbon have told skysports.com that midfielder Miguel Veloso, who has been linked with Manchester City and Arsenal, will not be leaving the club in the January transfer window.

17.56 Sporting Lisbon have no intention of selling Miguel Veloso during the January transfer window.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4785101,00.html

:(:(:(

Has anyone else noticed that 90% of the players that we have been linked with Man City are linked with them the following day, is it that they are too lazy to scout themselves and reckon who better to follow than wenger or is it even more sinister in that they would see us as their main rivals for Champions League football next year and are simply trying to hijack all our perspective deals??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

17.13 Sources close to Sporting Lisbon have told skysports.com that midfielder Miguel Veloso, who has been linked with Manchester City and Arsenal, will not be leaving the club in the January transfer window.

17.56 Sporting Lisbon have no intention of selling Miguel Veloso during the January transfer window.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4785101,00.html

:(:(:(

Yeah, they know they can cash in on him big time in the summer when there will be more than one club looking for him.

So assuming Barca won't sell Toure (cause they're not a selling club), sporting won't sell Veloso and Pool won't sell us Alonso, where do we go from there?

Whatever happened to Blaise whatisface?

One of our old boys Luis Boa Morte looks set to be finally leaving London. Hull City have agreed a deal to take him there. Was one of our players in the double winning squad of 1998. I always liked him, very good player.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11714_4787753,00.html

(11:33 am)

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah, they know they can cash in on him big time in the summer when there will be more than one club looking for him.

So assuming Barca won't sell Toure (cause they're not a selling club), sporting won't sell Veloso and Pool won't sell us Alonso, where do we go from there?

Whatever happened to Blaise whatisface?

I'd say we'll get stuck with an unknown DM at about the same skill level at Song.
    That or we won't get a defensive mid.

I reckon if Sporting hadn't have made the KO16 of the CL they might have sold...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So almost half way through the window, and no one yet.

What are the odds no one will be bought.

jank wrote: »
    So almost half way through the window, and no one yet.

What are the odds no one will be bought.

50:50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Has anyone else noticed that 90% of the players that we have been linked with Man City are linked with them the following day, is it that they are too lazy to scout themselves and reckon who better to follow than wenger or is it even more sinister in that they would see us as their main rivals for Champions League football next year and are simply trying to hijack all our perspective deals??
    Option 3: lazy journalism that insists on linking big clubs looking to buy with big players that are not necessarily for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

DenMan wrote: »
    One of our old boys Luis Boa Morte looks set to be finally leaving London. Hull City have agreed a deal to take him there. Was one of our players in the double winning squad of 1998. I always liked him, very good player.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11714_4787753,00.html

(11:33 am)

As a WHUFC supporter I must say that I'm absolutely delighted to see him go... He's been nothing but muck lately...

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Option 3: lazy journalism that insists on linking big clubs looking to buy with big players that are not necessarily for sale.

This is exactly it.
    Anytime one of the big PL clubs have been linked with someone the 'News of the World' or other such rag comes out with a story about and 11th. hour hijack from Citeh.
    Pure sensationalism

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    This is exactly it.
    Anytime one of the big PL clubs have been linked with someone the 'News of the World' or other such rag comes out with a story about and 11th. hour hijack from Citeh.
    Pure sensationalism

Look im having a slow week can ye not just let me have my conspiracy theory :D

14.29 Barcelona star Yaya Toure will not leave Camp Nou in January but could consider his future in the summer, according to the midfielder's agent.

Wouldn't mind waiting till the summer if we could land him.

Dream Team (without bankrupting us):

Almunia

Sagna
    Djourou
    Toure
    Clichy

Veloso
    Toure

Fab

Nasri
    Vela

RVP/Ade

*drools*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

vela ahead of a fit Walcott??

vela ahead of a fit Walcott??

I knew I'd forgotten someone.
    So Nasri on the left and walcott on the right.
    Although if Vela keeps making differences on games the way he has against Pompey and Bolton it's only a matter of time before he starts warranting a starting place.

(Plus as we all know I often have palm parties over Carlos Vela, the Mexican Pele)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

(Plus as we all know I often have palm parties over Carlos Vela, the Mexican Pele)
    :eek:

In fairness one of Rosicky, Walcott or Nasri are always goin to be injured so there will be room for Vela, and Eduardo for that matter.

Now I know this is going to probably lead to alot of abuse been thrown in my direction but if we are being 100% honest with ourselves here lads Gallas is in much better form than Toure (forget personalities and all that) there is no way in hell I would leave a fit Gallas out of that team at the moment, and the fact that he chips in with some vital goals adds to the arguement.

Now I know this is going to probably lead to alot of abuse been thrown in my direction but if we are being 100% honest with ourselves here lads Gallas is in much better form than Toure (forget personalities and all that) there is no way in hell I would leave a fit Gallas out of that team at the moment, and the fact that he chips in with some vital goals adds to the arguement.

He is in better form atm yes.
    But I doubt Gallas will be at the club next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

He is in better form atm yes.
    But I doubt Gallas will be at the club next season.

I agree, I think he'll leave in the summer so hopefully we'll bring in someone with quality and experience at the back. Because love him or hate him he's the most experienced player in our squad atm. Experienced players at Arsenal are pretty thin on the ground these days as it is without letting Gallas go too.

Just reading the boss's comments about moving Nasri into the middle in the second half against Bolton. Certianly did the trick. If we don't add to the squad in Jan does anybody think he could be put there more often in the second half of the season, at least until the summer when we can address the situation proper. Nice option to have with Fabs out, Diaby could play left (even though he prefers the middle). We really have a dilemma. :(

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-why-i-gave-nasri-a-central-role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

In fairness one of Rosicky, Walcott or Nasri are always goin to be injured so there will be room for Vela, and Eduardo for that matter.

Let's fix that:

Fixed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Rosicky should be taken to the vet and put down. He's only good for the glue factory now. Dortmund saw us coming.....£10million :eek:

• Advertisement

Anybody watching the Bristol - Pompey game? Traore's started on the wing. Had a bright enough start.

I wonder what will become of him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement