Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Jthere is feck all wrong with Arsenals front players the problems are whats behind them we have scored as many goals as anyone its just that we cant keep a clean sheet

I keep saying this. Very few listen :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    And the constructive comment of the day award goes to ..................

Good one, Clown.

Back on topic..

I thought Wenger said Arsenal needed to sell a player every year in order to afford the Emirates?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I agree, I can't for the life of me understand why he's going for another attacking midfielder/striker. Anyone can see that we need a world-class No.1 and two centre-halves.

Another thing, Wenger never spoke about potential transfer targets before, why now?

I also believe he should play Nasri centrally and give Vela a chance on the wing. Eboue can .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I thought Wenger said Arsenal needed to sell a player every year in order to afford the Emirates?

I don't ever remember this.
    Roaster wrote: »
    Anyone can see that we need a world-class No.1 and two centre-halves.

I don't see what people have against Almunia. He's a great shot stopper and he's playing better than VDS this season.

We don't need two CB's either Gallas, Toure, Djourou are already there.

Gallas is world class, he has been a bit off this season though.
    Toure needs to find his form again, and since he'll get a run of games with Gallas out hopefully we'll see this.
    Djourour is going to continie getting better, I really rate him.

Nordveit is one for the future aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I Haven't checked this thread in a while so apologies if this has been discussed but does anyone else think that Nigel Reo-Coker would be the ideal signing for us. He is defensive, can play in lots of different positions so should suit Wenger's ideas of playing CM on the wings, and he is English. I heard that the spuds were after him and was surprised because I thought if he was available he'd be perfect for us.

I Haven't checked this thread in a while so apologies if this has been discussed but does anyone else think that Nigel Reo-Coker would be the ideal signing for us. He is defensive, can play in lots of different positions so should suit Wenger's ideas of playing CM on the wings, and he is English. I heard that the spuds were after him and was surprised because I thought if he was available he'd be perfect for us.

Nigel Mediocre is definitely not the answer to our problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Frisbee wrote: »
    Nigel Mediocre is definitely not the answer to our problems
    He is a better player than Song and/or Diaby.

Reo-Cockup is not better than Diaby IMO. He's an above average player in a poor team.

He is a better player than Song and/or Diaby.

Nigel Mediocre is nowhere near as good as Diaby. Nowhere near.

As for Song, I'd probably rate them the same, maybe Reo Coker edging because of his experience.
    However if we're looking for a decent defensive midfield player we should be looking for someone much better than Reo Coker

I don't see what people have against Almunia. He's a great shot stopper and he's playing better than VDS this season.

Toure needs to find his form again, and since he'll get a run of games with Gallas out hopefully we'll see this.

Did you see the game against the Spuds? I agree he's a good shot stopper but he's so indecisive at times and he has no presence. You will rarely see him shout at one of our players.

I hope you're right about Toure as he's been our best servant for years but Gallas is not world class. On his day he's good but he's had to many off days lately. If you don't think we need CBs have a look at our GA column in the table, 24 compared to ManUre's 10, Liverpool's 13. Even Wigan have conceded one less then us and they have Titus Bramble ffs.

• Advertisement

Did you see the game against the Spuds? I agree he's a good shot stopper but he's so indecisive at times and he has no presence. You will rarely see him shout at one of our players.

I hope you're right about Toure as he's been our best servant for years but Gallas is not world class. On his day he's good but he's had to many off days lately. If you don't think we need CBs have a look at our GA column in the table, 24 compared to ManUre's 10, Liverpool's 13. Even Wigan have conceded one less then us and they have Titus Bramble ffs.

Gallas is world class. As I said though, he's not having the best of times this season.
    The CM needs to be sorted before anything.
    A decent DM that can shield the defence and we'll see a rapid decline in the amount of goals we concede.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I think Almunia is a good shot stopper. My main problem with him, and not sure if anyone agrees...is that hes stuck to the line. sometimes there are times when he needs to come out more and clear balls and take pressure of defense..he rarley does..and Clichy must have gotten dumped by the misses, they way hes playing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Once again the reason Arshavin is not a bad signing is because it will keep Eboue/Diaby/Denilson/Ramsey/Bendtner off the wings a lot more. Simple as that. The difference between the likes of Eboue and Arshavin is huge, surely people can see this? Then when Theo comes back we'll actually have options on the wings.

We all know that a defensive midfielder could possibly add a lot more to the team before signing an AM, unfortunately the market for them at the moment isn't exactly great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

It wasn't too long ago when we all said that Theo's best position is playing behind a lone striker than being out wide. He is hugely effective when in front/running towards goal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arshavin would also be a good signing because he is a better player than Nasri, Walcott and Rosicky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Arshavin would also be a good signing because he is a better player than Nasri, Walcott and Rosicky.

Really??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah I wouldn't be sold on Arshavin either. He's yet to prove himself in a big league, and could easily be a flop. Probably not though, but I'd wait to see how we does in the Premier League before declaring him better than Walcott, Nasri and (a fit) Rosicky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

If Arshavin costs 15 million, it still sounds like a better investment than 15 million for Craig Bellamy! Bellamy's a good player but far more trouble than he's worth, and he's not worth 15 million.

I'd take the risk of 15 mill for Arshavin over journeymen like Bellamy every time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

19/01/2009 17:12
    William Gallas To Run Down Arsenal Contract?

According to some sources the Gunners' former captain is ready to run down his current contract in order to become a free agent...

When Arsene Wenger stripped William Gallas of the captain's armband and handed it to Cesc Fabregas there was much speculation that hinted that it could spell the beginning of the end of the French defender's career at the north London club.

Those calls seemed premature as Gallas seemed committed to the Gunners despite his demotion.

However, Sky Sports are reporting that the French international, 31, will allow his two year contract to run down so he can leave the club on a free transfer.

The former Chelsea stopper is reported to have said: "I am concentrating on my future, finishing my contract with Arsenal and seeing where I'll go in two years."

The quotes provided though indicate that Gallas is merely assessing his options, as opposed to giving the adamant stance that Sky Sports suggest.

Gallas won the Premier League twice as a Blue, but left the Stamford Bridge side amidst controversy after allegedly forcing his exit by stating that if he was fielded for Chelsea, he would score an own goal.

Prior to Wenger stripping him of his captaincy, he also spoke publicly about fractions in the Arsenal dressing room.

Paris St Germain are just one of the Ligue 1 sides who have expressed an interest in Gallas in the past few weeks. AC Milan were also keen.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1712/arsenal/2009/01/19/1068178/william-gallas-to-run-down-arsenal-contract

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    The former Chelsea stopper is reported to have said: "I am concentrating on my future, finishing my contract with Arsenal and seeing where I'll go in two years."

Saying he is looking to honour his contract at Arsenal doesn't mean this:
    redout wrote: »
    However, Sky Sports are reporting that the French international, 31, will allow his two year contract to run down so he can leave the club on a free transfer.

Sensationalist Media FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fcukin journos...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1121438/Benitez-blast-Liverpools-owners-pushing-Agger-Milan-insists-Rafa.html

Seems the owners want Agger out of the pool. Their broke it seems! Maybe a sneaky bid for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Hi lads, I have been reading this particular thread for nearly a year now and find it a good and interesting read most of the time!:) Like most of you im a massive Arsenal fan and im pretty confident of a fourth place finish this season and strangely enough a good run in the champions league! Anyway heres my first post;

Arshavin would be a great addition to the team imo and hopefully a deal can be done to bring the player in for under the 15 million mark. Although i dont think an attacking player should at the top of our buying list at the moment i would still love to see him sign and hopefully settle in quickly.

The situation with the lack of a DM is what concerns me the most and i would like to hear opinions on Scott Parker as a possible addition to the squad, plenty of premiership experience, decent passer of the ball and is not afraid to stick in a challenge!

Also just to pick up on and agree with a few previous posts i really dont see the need for a new goalkeeper at all, Almunia is a great shot stopper and i rate him highly, there really isnt that many top goalkeepers in the premiership imo and as a fan im glad to have him!:)

Scott Parker

I agree not a bad player. There are probably better out there but im sure Wenger can get the best out of him until someone else can come along. He will be better then Song anyway.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/clichy-to-sit-out-sunday-s-cardiff-trip

Came at the right time I think, Wenger might have let him sit this one out. Although with no Silvestre, or even Gallas, I'm guessing it will be Gibbs at LB.

Arsenal top late goals table.

I was sure Villa would be taking this, the amount of times they've had my hoped up this season...

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1121438/Benitez-blast-Liverpools-owners-pushing-Agger-Milan-insists-Rafa.html

Seems the owners want Agger out of the pool. Their broke it seems! Maybe a sneaky bid for him?

I thought the exact same thing myself. Can't believe we haven't made an inquiry for him, even just to unsettle the scallies.

Yeah, only Sky Sports could interprate someo staying at the club as mooching of the bank account for a few years.
    Arsenal top late goals table.

I was sure Villa would be taking this, the amount of times they've had my hoped up this season...

I'd rather see the stats for goals scored in 89mins+.

I thought the exact same thing myself. Can't believe we haven't made an inquiry for him, even just to unsettle the scallies.

Ah their manager does that enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

ye can feck right off away from Agger now thanks, cheers.

mayordenis wrote: »
    ye can feck right off away from Agger now thanks, cheers.

Tell ya what.
    Give us Alonso and you can keep Agger.

kthxbye

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Tell ya what.
    Give us Alonso and you can keep Agger.

kthxbye

looks like we're holding all the cards here.

• Advertisement

We will see when the banks come knocking in a few months! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Question for those in the know...

I´m almost finished my rtw trip and fly into Heathrow on 21st feb. I´ve noticed that we have Sunderland at home that day. Does anyone know if it would be at all possible to pick up tickets outside the ground on the day? Hoping that there might be a few tickets available for this one.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

cashback wrote: »
    Question for those in the know...

I´m almost finished my rtw trip and fly into Heathrow on 21st feb. I´ve noticed that we have Sunderland at home that day. Does anyone know if it would be at all possible to pick up tickets outside the ground on the day? Hoping that there might be a few tickets available for this one.

Thanks

Unlikely you could call the box office a couple of days before the match to see if they can do anything for you, it is possible the game might not sell out even though the website will say it has.
    On the day of the match you could always chance your arm and turn up a few hours before the match and go to the box office. Both options are long shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Woohoo, just booked my tickets for the Sunderland game. There's only one corner of the ground with a decent amount of tickets left, and they only went on sale to red members today so I'd say it'll sell out.

Check out this
    http://www.awimb.com/fudforum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=7&rid=0&S=2fc497cc3d91db7c49af67da25437360

I managed to get tickets twice at short notice from 2 different people on there. Just make sure they arent a crook and you will be fine.

Reserves play away to Stoke today. Looks like Eddie is gonna play :)

http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3020309/reserves/stoke-city-v-arsenal-res?tab=preview

At least it'll be over by the end of the week, HOPEFULLY.

Andrei Arshavin's agent has indicated that his client would be willing to buy out his contract at Zenit St Petersburg.

The Russian playmaker is growing increasingly frustrated with the ongoing saga surrounding his future.

He has made no secret of his desire to secure a move away from his homeland during the January transfer window, but has so far failed to secure such a switch.

Premier League giants Arsenal are believed to be leading the chase for his signature, but Zenit's ever-increasing demands continue to delay any potential agreement.

"Unfortunately in this matter there is no movement," Arshavin's agent Dennis Lachter told the Russia press.

"The sticking point is, of course, money and rather the totally unacceptable amount of Zenit's demands for Andrei.

"The position of the club remains unchanged and that is the reality that we have faced for a long time.

"If the situation remains unchanged we will use Article 17 of the Fifa rules and buy out the contract of Andrei at the club, which could happen as early as November this year.
    Free agent

"In that situation, Zenit would have to be satisfied with a much smaller amount than they are offered by representatives of Arsenal.

"If Andrei becomes a free agent, he will get many proposals, from England, Italy and Spain."

Arsenal are reported to have tabled a £12million pound offer for Arshavin, but Zenit believe their prized asset is worth more than that in the current market.

"The situation has not changed since Friday, which means Arsenal would like to pay only £12m, not one cent more," said Zenit's general director Maxim Mitrofanov.

"And we, at Zenit, are ready to discuss with them about maybe a better offer from our side.

"We are ready to make a step forward to them, but they should do the same.

"However, I have told the people from Arsenal we are ready to discuss a lot of things to make the situation easier for them.

"They have a deadline, as I understand, until 26th January, because after that, they should have some time to get another player and I respect this position."

Holy **** did anyone else see the goal Wilshere just scored for the reserves? Curled it in with the outside of his left foot, beautiful.

Eduardos second return too, he's looked sharp again

link to stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

playa3 wrote: »
    Eduardos second return too, he's looked sharp again
    Good stuff, cheers for the update!

Apparently this is the first of five successive away matches for our reserves - even Rafa couldn't complain if we got a bit stroppy over that one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Anyone reckon Jamie Redknapp is trying to work out how Burnleys demolition of daddys team is Arsenals fault about now?

Or is he crying into his Wii.....?

• Advertisement

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Good stuff, cheers for the update!

Apparently this is the first of five successive away matches for our reserves - even Rafa couldn't complain if we got a bit stroppy over that one :pac:

Didn't get to see the whole match but it ended up 2-2 with Wilshere getting the second as well. Randall got sent off for a disgraceful tackle, very bad especially being right in front of Eduardo too.

Heres the 1st goal :cool:
    wilshere.gif

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

But we've got Eboue...

Randall got sent off for a disgraceful tackle, very bad especially being right in front of Eduardo too.

That's a silly statement imo.
    Players aren't going to go around pulling out of challenges because they look up and see Eduardo is near them.

Cheers for the .gif of the goal :D

That's a silly statement imo.
    Players aren't going to go around pulling out of challenges because they look up and see Eduardo is near them.

Cheers for the .gif of the goal :D

I'm not saying that as such, its just in a reserves game you dont need to go jumping in with two feet. And when one of your team mates is just returning from a leg break you don't want to go and do the same to someone else. If you see the tackle you'll know what i mean. He'd also made a few other rash challenges earlier

I'm not saying that as such, its just in a reserves game you dont need to go jumping in with two feet. And when one of your team mates is just returning from a leg break you don't want to go and do the same to someone else. If you see the tackle you'll know what i mean. He'd also made a few other rash challenges earlier

I understand your point.
    But saying it's just a reserves game is a bit silly. These reserve games are the only way that players like randall, merida, nordveit etc. are going to be included in the first team squad and they should go out and give it their all as the likes of Fab, Adebayor, RVP do for the EPL Games.

Didn't get to see the whole match but it ended up 2-2 with Wilshere getting the second as well. Randall got sent off for a disgraceful tackle, very bad especially being right in front of Eduardo too.

Heres the 1st goal :cool:
    wilshere.gif

It's Liam Brady-tastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Randall got sent off for a disgraceful tackle, very bad especially being right in front of Eduardo too.

Heres the 1st goal
    Nice - did it take a bit of a deflection or is that just the gif acting funny? Good work either way though.

As for the rest, I'd agree with Frisbee - Eduardo's injury shouldn't really affect anyone's view on the matter. I haven't seen the tackle but I don't have to - if Randall deliberately went in to sever someone's foot from their leg, then that's obviously unacceptable. But by the same token, a dangerous tackle that's accidental isn't acceptable either. And none of that is changed by the standard of the game or what injuries your team-mates have or haven't had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

At least it'll be over by the end of the week, HOPEFULLY.

Andrei Arshavin's agent has indicated that his client would be willing to buy out his contract at Zenit St Petersburg.

I said it on the transfers thread, his agent likes the sound of his own voice, he was the same when Spurs were interested during the summer, before that it was Barca. Believe nothing unless it comes direct from your own club IMO.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Nice - did it take a bit of a deflection or is that just the gif acting funny? Good work either way though.

As for the rest, I'd agree with Frisbee - Eduardo's injury shouldn't really affect anyone's view on the matter. I haven't seen the tackle but I don't have to - if Randall deliberately went in to sever someone's foot from their leg, then that's obviously unacceptable. But by the same token, a dangerous tackle that's accidental isn't acceptable either. And none of that is changed by the standard of the game or what injuries your team-mates have or haven't had.

I suppose ye are right, a bad tackle is a bad tackle at the end of the day. I just think Randall should have known better in general than to go diving the way he did, but he'll learn to control himself in the future.

And no, I dont think the shot took a deflection

• Advertisement

I suppose ye are right, a bad tackle is a bad tackle at the end of the day. I just think Randall should have known better in general than to go diving the way he did, but he'll learn to control himself in the future.

And no, I dont think the shot took a deflection

It's like people going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement