Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

NOTW back page today that Wemger is going to put a bid in for Micah Richards. I'd be veru happy with that but it is the NOTW so its probably all lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Lads the last thing we need is Micah Richards.
    We already have enough players who spend half their season on the treatment table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Galvasean wrote: »
    Anyone ever hear of a lad named Oguzhan Ozyakup? Came off the bench and scored two for the youth team yesterday.

Yeah i think he came from somewhere in the Netherlands. Was signed in the summer i believe. Highly rated wonderkid, one for the future, next Zidane etc. etc....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Anyone ever hear of a lad named Oguzhan Ozyakup? Came off the bench and scored two for the youth team yesterday.
    Signed him from AZ over the summer. A tall, elegant, attacking central midfielder by most accounts. He's of Turkish descent but captains the Dutch U17 iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

West Brom/Burnley at home. Good good.

I'd be fairly confident of putting out Cardiff at the Emirates. Another game isn't ideal but at least they're still in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Another crack at Burnley is a possibility. Hurrah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Not a bad draw mate. Hopefully we get past Cardiff and possibly face Burnley in a cup game again. I would like to see a stronger team than today tbh. Vela to start would be brilliant and I would like to see Amaury Bishoff start. Been itching for that, heard he is a very very good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

According to a report in The People this morning, "Arsenal have made an enquiry about French midfield starlet Mohamed Diame."

The 21-year-old French defensive midfielder is believed to be worth 5.5 million pounds and would complement the signing of Andrei Arshavin from Zenit St Petersburg.

Diame joined Rayo Vallecano in the summer and has played 19 games this season claiming one goal in the win over Alaves in September. He was also sent-off in the 2-0 defeat to Elche last month for picking up two yellow cards.

The 6.0ft defensive midfielder is according to IMScouting "a very talented defensive midfielder, who reminds scouts of Osasuna's Sunny (on loan from Valencia). He has already attracted interest from several big teams in Spain and has the potential to play at the highest European level. He signed for two years at Rayo in the summer of 2008, and renewed his contract until 2012 in October. His release clause is 6 million euros, but Rayo would be ready to sell him for 2-3 million euros."

IMScouting's network of scouts in Spain, add: "In terms of ability, Diame is a strong and true fighter, an aggressive, tireless worker in the center of the field. He controls with both feet, which makes it easy for him to escape pressure and send accurate long balls to the attack. His greatest ability is aerial domination, as he has a very good natural jump. He is also technically skilled, knows when to release the ball at the right time which is very important for his position and he can join the attack on set pieces. Diame has perfect tactical positioning, just in front of the defensive line and he almost never loses his position."

Anyone heard of him?

I wonder will Eduardo make an appearance in the Cardiff replay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Name: Oğuzhan Özyakup
    Nickname: ‘Ozzie’
    Nationality: Dutch (Turkish Descent)
    International: Yes (Under 16/17)
    Position: Right Midfield/Centre Midfield
    Height: 178cm
    Previous Clubs: AZ Alkmaar
    Contract : Scholarship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Mgoraf wrote: »

Anyone heard of him?

No, which makes me believe the rumor :)

GuanYin wrote: »
    No, which makes me believe the rumor :)

The fact he's young and French helps too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I wonder will Eduardo make an appearance in the Cardiff replay?

iirc wenger said that Eduardo would return to the 1st team squad after one more reserve game but the next res game I see is against the spuds on the 9th Feb so that would rule him out of the cardiff game.
    But seeing as there is a bit of a fixture pile up Wenger might change his mind

Rosicky back in training apparently.

Rosicky back in training apparently.

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Quite hopeful about the Arshavin deal at the moment.

I know we're pretty hard negotiators so it's not surprising that there have been some up's and down's and the occasional 'right, the deal's off'.

It's looking like there's some agreement but the main two things that will swing it for us are that no one else seems to want him at the moment and Zenit have already replaced him.

Also, after yesterday's game, any thought that we don't need another person who can break down defences has left my mind.

From the Sun (yes I know, the Sun sucks)
    ARSENAL's move for Andrei Arshavin could collapse over his "excessive" wage demands, it emerged tonight.

The Gunners today agreed a £14million deal for the striker after protracted negotiations.

But Zenit St Petersburg then accused their own star of jeopardising the move by demanding a £3.5m salary AFTER tax.

Sources at Zenit said the two clubs had agreed a transfer fee which "reflects the real market value" of the player. This is at least £4m higher than Arsenal's original offer.

But a statement by the club tonight said: "At the moment the only obstacle to the deal is the personal demands of Andrei Arshavin."

The hitman already earns around £100,000-a-week at Zenit.

And Arsenal have made it clear they are not prepared to match that.

They have told Arshavin he would have to take a £20,000-a-week cut to join.

The Russian club claim his salary demand - said to amount to £7m-a-year before tax - is so high "that Arsenal is not prepared to pay".

The only way of saving the deal is if the transfer fee is reduced, Russian sources said.

Zenit will only do this if the player himself pays back £2.5m of an upfront signing on fee he obtained on joining Zenit on a four year deal in 2006.

"The move to Arsenal is on a knife-edge," a Russian source said tonight.

"Unless someone gives way, it looks doomed.

"Arsenal and Zenit agree, so it's now up to Arshavin to prove he wants to play for Arsenal by reducing his excessive pay demands in the middle of a financial crisis."

There's also an article about it on Zenit's website.

That's a direct translation version. The same article does not appear on the English version of the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

he seems a bit of a bogey, not wenger type player. i know he looks class but maybe a bit of a bad apple

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This news about Arshavin's contract demands is very much at odds with everything else we've heard about this story up to this point - seems likely to me that Zenit are playing games, presumeably to make Arshavin look bad and sour his relationship (further) with the Zenit fans, thus saving face for the board.

Though as long as we get him, I don't really care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

As long as we get him and he does well for us I don't care.

Pesonally I think Zenith are playing games. They did it before when other clubs were trying to buy him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Bolton are apparently negotiating with sporting for lisbon!why oh why are we not in for him if they are willing to sell surely hed come to us rather than bolton?!!?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yeah losing out to veloso would be absolutely criminal

Bolton are apparently negotiating with sporting for lisbon!

jesus i thought man city's spending was unbelievable, bolton are going to buy the bloody capital of portugal!!! lol!!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

jesus i thought man city's spending was unbelievable, bolton are going to buy the bloody capital of portugal!!! lol!!:P

Thats why Wenger has spent jacksh*t for the past 10 years he's been planing this for a while ''IN ARSENE WE TRUST'' :D

Arsenal deny they have a deal in place with Zenit for Arshavin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Bolton are apparently negotiating with sporting for lisbon!why oh why are we not in for him if they are willing to sell surely hed come to us rather than bolton?!!?!?!

This is from BBC:

'Bolton have opened talks with Sporting Lisbon about signing midfielder Miguel Veloso, but the player's agent says several other clubs are interested.'

*clutches a straw*
    Maybe Arsenal are one of the several other clubs interested, €12 mil is a managable price for us (unless Man City bid €48mil and Jupiter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Its a nice place, not sure how good the capital of portugal will be on the football pitch though...

Veloso on the other hand, good player - you guys should bid for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Veloso on the other hand, good player - you guys should bid for him.

Arsenal fans have been saying that since it became obvious Flamini wanted to leave, if not before. Veloso is probably the only name you could mention where you find a single soul will disagree with you. except Wenger obviously.

I swear to God if Bolton get Veloso ahead of us because Arsene didn't put in an offer 'In Arsene I'll be trusting a little less"

Surely if he was that good a top club would have mad an offer? They must have had a look at him and didn't think he was good enough?

• Advertisement

Surely if he was that good a top club would have mad an offer? They must have had a look at him and didn't think he was good enough?

United and Arsenal have both been prowling around him for a number of years.
    We haven't really needed another player in that position until this year.

I would much rather scrap the Arshavin deal and get Veloso. He's fit in so well with our game aswell, great passer of the ball and keeps the game moving fluidly.
    Him and Fabregas in the centre would be sex....

Yeh they've been sniffing around for a while, but still no bid for him. Seems they aint all that convinced to me.

And Wenger is usually right on transfers too....

I'd still rather see Veloso in an Arsenal jersey next month than Arshavin.

Song Shows glimpses and Denilson is a hard woker, but Veloso is the quality DM which we so sorely need...

Where will Arshavin fit in d'ya think? Take Walcott's place on the RW?

Do you rate Denilson btw? Seen him get alot of mixed reviews, but just mainly Arsenal fans rating him :lol:

Where will Arshavin fit in d'ya think? Take Walcott's place on the RW?

Do you rate Denilson btw? Seen him get alot of mixed reviews, but just mainly Arsenal fans rating him :lol:

I've no idea what Arsene plans on doing with him. Maybe rotate with Nasri and Walcott, or play behind the front man.
    Playing him in the middle would be too big a risk as our CM would be so soft then. Or even him on the left and Nasri through the middle would be the same.

Denilson has potential to be good. He's been one of our more consistent performers this year but I still believe he's not good enough to be a starting player for a Premier League club with aspirations of Champions League football.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I
    Playing him in the middle would be too big a risk as our CM would be so soft then.

I think it could work with Arshavin centre and fab a tad more defensive. With fab staying back and playing balls through Arshavin I think this could be a good combination. It would however require a good consistent centre back pairing

I think it could work with Arshavin centre and fab a tad more defensive. With fab staying back and playing balls through Arshavin I think this could be a good combination. It would however require a good consistent centre back pairing

This would require adapting Fab to what I like to refer to as 'The Alonso Role'.
    I'd rather not do that mid season after coming back from a big injury as it will unsettle him further.
    Maybe that's what Wenger has in mind but if it is our midfield is still faaaar too soft as Fab isn't the best defensively.
    We need an enforcer in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

From the BBC transfer gossip column
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has played down reports that the Gunners are close to buying Zeint St Petersburg striker Andrei Arshavin. He said: "There's no news about Arshavin. It's all quiet." (Goal.com 1520 GMT)

Starting to seem more and more likely that we won't be signing him.

I'd be amazed if Bolton can afford 12 million for Veloso, and I don't think we should spend that much either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

have their been any hints of Arsenal targets apart from Arshavin? if he doesent sign surely you guys will get someone else, yes?

• Advertisement

I don't think so. Me thinks Arshavin is gone back to Ruski with all our eggs in his basket

I don't think they need an attacking player unless he's going to be of the quality of Arshavin. I'd say if they miss out on him they could well end up signing nobody.

have their been any hints of Arsenal targets apart from Arshavin? if he doesent sign surely you guys will get someone else, yes?

We were linked with some French DM named Diame.
    Never heard of him so I can't comment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

We were linked with some French DM named Diame.
    Never heard of him so I can't comment.

As a Villa fan i wouldent mind that, Although he would probably turn out to be a future gem i doubt he (having never heard of the guy either) is the answer to your defensive problem now and could mean an immediate solution i.e Veloso for example might not get bought at all. This season is all that matters cos you guys will be a force next year no matter what yif you have CL football. tbh if you sign someone like Arshavin I really wont loike the look of the Arsenal attack in the latter months of the season if all are fit Arshavin, Walcott, Eduardo added to Nasri, Vela, Van Persie, Bedtner, Adebayor etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't think they need an attacking player unless he's going to be of the quality of Arshavin. I'd say if they miss out on him they could well end up signing nobody.

this is exactly what is going to happen imho

And now Citeh are linked with Veloso.

I just want this transfer window to end...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

And now Citeh are linked with Veloso.

I just want this transfer window to end...

No you don't, if it just ended we're fúcked! We need about 5 players right now, I'd settle for 2, but I'm not very hopeful that we'll get any!

jasonorr wrote: »
    No you don't, if it just ended we're fúcked! We need about 5 players right now, I'd settle for 2, but I'm not very hopeful that we'll get any!

Meh, Arshavin ain't gonna turn our season around magically.
    I'd rather hold onto the money

Meh, Arshavin ain't gonna turn our season around magically.
    I'd rather hold onto the money

No, but neither will a defensive midfielder on his own either! If we don't get both (types of players), I'm not going to be too hopeful about our finish to the season! Let's face it, by turning around our season we mean finishing at least 4th and having a decent run in the cups while winning nothing AGAIN...it's so depressing!

jasonorr wrote: »
    No, but neither will a defensive midfielder on his own either! If we don't get both (types of players), I'm not going to be too hopeful about our finish to the season! Let's face it, by turning around our season we mean finishing at least 4th and having a decent run in the cups while winning nothing AGAIN...it's so depressing!

Fair point. But I'd rather we shore up our defence than add another attacker.

Our depth in attackers/attacking midfielders: Adebayor, RVP, Bendtner, Vela, Eduardo, Walcott, Nasri, Walcott, Fabregas.

Our depth in defensive midfielders: Denilson, Song, Bischoff.

Fair point. But I'd rather we shore up our defence than add another attacker.

Our depth in attackers/attacking central midfielders: Adebayor, RVP, Bendtner, Vela, Eduardo, Walcott, Nasri, Walcott So good you named him twice :D, Fabregas, Rosicky, Ramsey, Diaby (even though he's played on the wing)

Our depth in defensive midfielders: Denilson, Song, Bischoff.

Granted, I feel that a DM should be a priority, but I don't think we have adequate cover for AM right now either with Rosicky and Fabregas out and I would welcome either type of player!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement