Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

With Eduardo, Rosicky and Walcott all coming back Arshavin might be a bit excessive. Especially when there are other parts of the squad which need much more strenghtening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Frisbee wrote: »
    Our depth in attackers/attacking midfielders: Adebayor, RVP, Bendtner, Vela, Eduardo, Walcott, Nasri, Walcott, Fabregas.

Our depth in defensive midfielders: Denilson, Song, Bischoff.
    Galvasean wrote:
    Arshavin might be a bit excessive. Especially when there are other parts of the squad which need much more strenghtening
    We have plenty of striking options but I'd still like to see another Nasri/Rosicky/Arshavin type. Someone who more naturally plays wide than Eduardo, Walcott, Van Persie or Vela who are all strikers that are often mentioned as wide midfield players/cover. Likewise, I hate seeing Diaby, Denilson or Ramsey (though Ramsey less so) playing wide and want to sign players that mean it won't have to happen in future.

I agree that a defensive midfielder would be great (Bischoff's not one, by the way) but if there isn't one of sufficient quality available, I'd still rather address a problem in the squad if we can - even if it's not the main one. And personally, I think that either Wenger's not convinced by Veloso or, more likely, Veloso won't be going anywhere for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

breaking news on ssn

zenit have said they will except 15 million for Arshavin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Is that all they said? They said they agreed a fee 2 days ago, but Arshavin's wage demands were holding up the transfer, not the fee.

Edit: Article says Zenit are now willing to take £15m in a one off payment, I'm guessing that means they'll drop the €2.5 million payment they wanted from Arshavin, which means he can drop his wage demands.

However they've basically increased the fee from £12m + £3m based on requirements, all of that paid in installments, to £15m outright in a one off payment. How they think that's a compromise I'll never know. Anyways it's probably bullshít and I'm getting pretty sick of all this, so that's the last article I'll comment on. On Feb 1st he'll either be an Arsenal player or he won't, simple as that.

Zenit are chancers of the highest order. As is Arshavin's agent methinks, and maybe the player himself.

They all scented a big-money deal in the summer, Zenit bought Danny for about 20m and now it's proving hard for the club and player to both balance their books. Despite the fact that both club and player seem to want a deal done.

I'm taking the Wenger approach and not believing anything till I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Yay! Got my tickets for the Fulham game (28th Feb) today. I'm thinking of booking a Stadium tour for the day before, has anyone here done the tour and if so would you recommend it? Is it worth doing?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Yay! Got my tickets for the Fulham game (28th Feb) today. I'm thinking of booking a Stadium tour for the day before, has anyone here done the tour and if so would you recommend it? Is it worth doing?

Thanks.

Haven't done it but by all accounts it is supposed to be excellent, so would go for it if I was you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lads any streams for tonight's game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Thanks.

The tour is fantastic. You shoudn't have to book it though. I bought my ticket in the club shop 20 minutes before the tour starts.

• Advertisement

Cheers Tony - found one in the meantime - http://www.live10.tk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Damnit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Shag!!!!

Diaby OUT!!!!!!!

(Don't blame him for the goal but tonight has convinced me he's not near good enough. Can't pass the ball, can't defend - how exactly is he a central midfielder????)

Ah, panic over, Eboue's on - that should sort it out. :(:(

Hopefully Bendtner can keep up his scoring as a sub party trick

gosplan wrote: »
    Ah, panic over, Eboue's on - that should sort it out. :(:(
    And Bentner!

Think we might need to get the Arsenal chef into Villa asap, ala Spurs and the dodgy lasagne. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Goal.................

RVP

92MIN

LEAVING IT LATE LADS...........

So annoyed!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

We appear to be the 6th best team in the league right now.

(Edit - LOL apart from RVP that is - spoke too soon and all)

• Advertisement

Did not deserve the draw! Very poor performance!

Lucky that Almunia saved that chance at 1-0 - although he was lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

One of two things really needs to happen

1. Wenger needs to change his transfer policies.

2. Wenger needs to leave.

Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

2. Wenger needs to leave.

this is even more unbelievable than liverpool fans calling for the head of benitez tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Was in work, so I'll reserve judgment until after I see the highlights.

Not at all suprised at the result though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Haven't seen the match yet ,a point up at Everton though is not a bad result, though by all accounts we have not played well, still important thing now is get a result against an improving West Ham at the weekend, a long way to yet in the season.

Des wrote: »
    this is even more unbelievable than liverpool fans calling for the head of benitez tbh

Why is it so unbelievable. If he doesn't change his transfer policies and stays he is gonna leave the club in a worse state than he got it. At least he inheritted a defence. He is very slowly dragging he club down. We haven't looked decent as a team in a very long time. If he can't improve the club or at least maintain it he should be asked to leave. Otherwise I see us drifting off into mid-table obscurity. That might seem drastic but it's drastic time. It'll be his first year to not qualify for CL iirc so it's officially his worst year, and I can't see us improving unless we buy. Our current squad is very poor and players that don't deserve it keep getting games. Maybe Wenger is fallable.

• Advertisement

We haven't looked decent as a team in a very long time.

February last year.
    We're without Walcott, Fabregas, Rosicky (ish) and Eduardo who were all a big part of that run last year.
    Flamini has left and not been replaced which is the main problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I don't understand how the likes of Diaby and Denilson can't pass a simple ball to the to the strikers from a defensive midfield position. They appeared to not be able to make this pass all night. In fact, they don't appear to be able to do this at all, Diaby in particular. He's a great dribbler but he's constantly getting caught on the ball in vulnerable positions when he should have made the simple pass a half second before it.

Ade looks way off his game and the wingers can't seem to penetrate stern defenses. Nasri is clearly a great talent but tends to turn back on himself too often when attacking the wing.

I can't praise RvP enough, work rate, skill, vision, aggression, determination... he is Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Why is it so unbelievable. If he doesn't change his transfer policies and stays he is gonna leave the club in a worse state than he got it. At least he inheritted a defence. He is very slowly dragging he club down. We haven't looked decent as a team in a very long time. If he can't improve the club or at least maintain it he should be asked to leave. Otherwise I see us drifting off into mid-table obscurity. That might seem drastic but it's drastic time. It'll be his first year to not qualify for CL iirc so it's officially his worst year, and I can't see us improving unless we buy. Our current squad is very poor and players that don't deserve it keep getting games. Maybe Wenger is fallable.

Who would replace him? More to the point who wants to be the manager after Wenger? I wouldn't fancy that.

It'd be like doing a comedy slot at a stag do right after Cheryl Cole did her striptease.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Thats actually not that unbelievable, after all it is Liverpool fans and Benitez is a complete donkey trying to ruin Keanes career! (not that i care)

I don't understand how the likes of Diaby and Denilson can't pass a simple ball to the to the strikers from a defensive midfield position. They appeared to not be able to make this pass all night. In fact, they don't appear to be able to do this at all, Diaby in particular. He's a great dribbler but he's constantly getting caught on the ball in vulnerable positions when he should have made the simple pass a half second before it.

Ade looks way off his game and the wingers can't seem to penetrate stern defenses. Nasri is clearly a great talent but tends to turn back on himself too often when attacking the wing.

I can't praise RvP enough, work rate, skill, vision, aggression, determination... he is Arsenal.

+1

Obviously grateful to take a point in the end but very a disappointing display, Everton don't have a great home record this season and i felt all three points were needed to keep in touch with villa.

A big team performance is needed at the weekend against a team hitting form.

RvP is without doubt the deciding factor on making 4th position this season, we need to pray he remains fit for the remainder of the season.
    What a strike and celebration to match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The tour is fantastic. You shoudn't have to book it though. I bought my ticket in the club shop 20 minutes before the tour starts.

Thanks Mossy, I booked it tonight anyway, At least its sorted now. I can't wait... I've been to the Emirates a few times but never done the tour. I think I'm most looking forward to seeing the dressing room. (I'm so excited, I'm like a big kid!) :D

• Advertisement

Wait till you feel the comfort of those seats that Hill Wood etc. sit on.

Frisbee wrote: »
    February last year.
    We're without Walcott, Fabregas, Rosicky (ish) and Eduardo who were all a big part of that run last year.
    Flamini has left and not been replaced which is the main problem
    Walcott, Fabregas,
    Both recent injuries but thats what the january transfer window is about, finding cover if required or adding to your squad also if required, and aside from that Walcott has not lived to his potential so far.
    Rosicky (ish) and Eduardo
    Both out for two transfer windows at this stage so they definitely should have been covered for.

Its the Arsenal manager's job to prepare his squad for the coming season, and to make sure that his squad has enough cover to sustain a challenge on the title. It is every manager's job to make sure his team is set up tactically to play against varying oppositions. Has Wenger done any of them?

Ask yourself one question. Would Utd be happy with a lucky draw against Everton? I think not. They have achieved such results but they are usually out of the norm, and that is exactly my point. Should we be happy that such results are normal to us. I for one am not happy with the way things are being run at Arsenal. Wenger for the last 3-4 years has been his own boss and because of this his performances have been slipping. He is taking on a larger role at the club, but maybe this is too much for him. Maybe he would prefer to be in the board room, and if that is the case then maybe we should just let him and think of getting in a new manager. When mediocrity becomes acceptable thats a sign that things are going downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Both recent injuries but thats what the january transfer window is about, finding cover if required or adding to your squad also if required, and aside from that Walcott has not lived to his potential so far.

Both out for two transfer windows at this stage so they definitely should have been covered for.

Its the Arsenal manager's job to prepare his squad for the coming season, and to make sure that his squad has enough cover to sustain a challenge on the title. It is every manager's job to make sure his team is set up tactically to play against varying oppositions. Has Wenger done any of them?

Ask yourself one question. Would Utd be happy with a lucky draw against Everton? I think not. They have achieved such results but they are usually out of the norm, and that is exactly my point. Should we be happy that such results are normal to us. I for one am not happy with the way things are being run at Arsenal. Wenger for the last 3-4 years has been his own boss and because of this his performances have been slipping. He is taking on a larger role at the club, but maybe this is too much for him. Maybe he would prefer to be in the board room, and if that is the case then maybe we should just let him and think of getting in a new manager. When mediocrity becomes acceptable thats a sign that things are going downhill.

I don't agree that Wenger should leave, who would replace him?, the guy has run a premiership winning or top four club for over 10 years on a budget way less than Newcastle for example who have gone through about 10 managers in the same period and not found the answer. Wenger is a one off and sacking him would be a huge mistake. You just wait to see the list of top class clubs who would be after him should he leave Arsenal.
    Arsenal have brought in Gazidis to take that extra pressure you talk about away from Wenger but he only started in Jan so like everything he will need a little time to get his head around the job and hopefully we will see the benefits during the summer window.
    I think that Wenger is looking to bring some players now but at the right price and wages. Arsenal simply cannot compete with Utd, Chavski, City for the top class talent. We rely on Wengers nouse in the market and so far he hasn't done too bad, when the right DM or CB comes available I am sure Arsenal will at least make an attempt to sign them.
    Like you i'm not happy with recent performances but i'm sure Wenger isn't either and will be doing as much as possible to sort this on the training pitch. I believe that Arsenal will finish in the top 4 and a good run in one of the cups is also a strong possibility so it's not all doom and gloom. Arsenal have always had the label of being unable to grind out dirty results when not playing well levelled against them well now it's happening wait till we start playing well !!

In Arsene we Trust

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    <SNIP>

I hope you're right and I am wrong. Just not feeling the most optimistic at the minute about the current situation.

I hope you're right and I am wrong. Just not feeling the most optimistic at the minute about the current situation.

My glass is half full of beer would you like some to top up your half empty one :D
    It's hard to stay positive and alot of the blogs are giving Wenger a hard time but I will still maintain that the day that man leaves Arsenal FC is a very sad day for all us fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Van Persie (when fit) is one of the best players I've ever seen play. He's just special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote: »
    Van Persie (when fit) is one of the best players I've ever seen play. He's just special.

I agree, I had a conversation with someone, think it was Mr Alan actually, and I reckoned that if VP can stay fit, then he will eventually replace Raul at R Madrid.

I agree, I had a conversation with someone, think it was Mr Alan actually, and I reckoned that if VP can stay fit, then he will eventually replace Raul at R Madrid.

Then they will be only 2 players away from fielding the entire Dutch team :D
    VP will get a better contract soon so hopefully will be going nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Eduardo has been picked for the Croatia Squad to play Romania in february. I'm really looking forward to him coming back into the squad. hopefully he finds his form before the injury sooner rather than later.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/eduardo-named-in-22-man-croatia-squad

I for one am not happy with the way things are being run at Arsenal.

It would appear to me that simply you for one are not happy with the fact that we're not challenging for a title.

Can I ask a question? (OK, another one then)

Why should Arsenal be automitically challenging every year and in the top four regardless?

Is it the money we spend?

Is it our massive stadium?

Is is because we've always been in the top four?

Is it because no other clubs are bankrolled as we are?

Seriously, why shouldn't Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and Villa make up the top four this year.

Man U is the richest club in the world bankrolled by hundreds of millions of debt.
    Chelsea has had the highest spending last few years of any club ever.(even in relative terms I'd say).
    Liverpool has also gone through a huge amount of money and now has owners in debt who can't find someone to buy the thing.
    Villa have a sugar Daddy pumping money into the club and a great manager.

If you're not happy with the way Arsenal is run then pick whichever of the above model's you like and cheer for them instead.

Wenger builds teams, simple as. He had just about got another when Hleb and Flamini chose to leave. One's been replaced now that Nasri's settled and the other hasn't. Added to that our best player picked up a long term injury.

In the past this would have been a bad season for Arsenal but we would have automatically made the top four because, let's face it, 16 of the premiership teams have always been crap. This isn't the case any more with all the foreign money and stars flooding to England. To add to all this we will have Man City next year trying to buy the title.

One last question:

If you simply want your club to outspend the outspenders, buy the best players in the world and win trophies that way, then what difference does it make whether it's Arsenal or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While gosplan is bang on the money, United are where they are because of smart clever spending, and are in debt entirely, entirely, because of the takeover, no other reason.

Arsenal and United were the two teams with the best business models. Arsenal however were a stage behind United, a world class stadium. This stadium will allow them to compete long-term even after Wenger. They are in a transition stage economically until they pay this off. If they can stay in or around the top level during this time, even if they slip out of the CL, imo its an unqualified success.

If he doesn't change his transfer policies and stays he is gonna leave the club in a worse state than he got it.
    Jesus - it's one thing being horrendously short-term in your thinking but you seem to be blind over the longer term as well.

Even forgetting what Wenger's doing for the club now, he's done so much over the last 12 years that realistically, he'll never leave it in a worse state than he found it. Actually the fact that you seem to expect massive signings all the time and a league win every second year, regardless of any other circumstances, is probably the biggest sign of just what he's brought to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

He's just special.

If anyone disagrees with you on this point them in this direction.

RvP vs Charlton

It remains to this day the sweetest goal I've seen. Timing, skill, technique & execution all perfect.

While gosplan is bang on the money, United are where they are because of smart clever spending, and are in debt entirely, entirely, because of the takeover, no other reason.

I agree with you to a point in that the debt obviously didn't make Utd. Two things did

1: Fergie
    2: Utd's ability to generate cash

I think Fergie buys a lot of turkeys and gets it wrong a bit but he buys enough players to ensure that he nearly always has an excellent starting 11.
    It's like throwing mud at a wall, a lot of it has to stick.

Having a great first 11 ensures trophies, the utd brand continues and the money rolls in. Perhaps he could keep to a tighter budget but he has no need to whatsoever and if it ain't broke ...

So I don't think the spending was really clever - Hargreaves, 30 million or so on Nani and Anderson, etc etc but it's a policy that ensures success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If anyone disagrees with you on this point them in this direction.

RvP vs Charlton

It remains to this day the sweetest goal I've seen. Timing, skill, technique & execution all perfect.

I've never seen that before...

I don't think I've ever seen a better goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

keane2097 wrote: »
    I've never seen that before...

I don't think I've ever seen a better goal...

Really?

His technique is fantastic, it's rare if ever that he scores an "ordinary" goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

jasonorr wrote: »
    Really?

His technique is fantastic, it's rare if ever that he scores an "ordinary" goal!

Yup... Strangely enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well I was off work and free to watch teh last two arsenal games, two disappointing draws. I start my shift on Saturday at 3pm (same time as kick off). I predict a 4-0 win! :pac:

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well I was off work and free to watch teh last two arsenal games, two disappointing draws. I start my shift on Saturday at 3pm (same time as kick off). I predict a 4-0 win! :pac:

you've got my hopes up now, don't let me down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Comparison of this season to previous:
    2008-2009: 23 12  6  5 38 25 13 42
    2007-2008: 23 16  6  1 46 17 29 54 ( 3rd)
    2006-2007: 23 12  6  5 43 19 24 42 ( 4th)
    2005-2006: 23 11  4  8 36 19 17 37 ( 4th)
    2004-2005: 23 14  6  3 52 25 27 48 ( 2nd)
    2003-2004: 23 16  7  0 44 15 29 55 ( 1st)
    2002-2003: 23 15  4  4 49 24 25 49 ( 2nd)
    2001-2002: 23 12  8  3 46 27 19 44 ( 1st)
    2000-2001: 23 11  7  5 39 23 16 40 ( 2nd)
    1999-2000: 23 13  5  5 42 23 19 44 ( 2nd)
    1998-1999: 23 11  9  3 24 11 13 42 ( 2nd)
    1997-1998: 23 11  8  4 42 26 16 41 ( 1st)
    1996-1997: 23 12  7  4 42 22 20 43 ( 3rd)
    1995-1996: 23 10  7  6 31 22  9 37 ( 5th)
    1994-1995: 23  7  7  9 26 26  0 28 (12th)
    1993-1994: 23 11  7  5 27 13 14 40 ( 4th)
    1992-1993: 23  9  5  9 24 23  1 32 (10th)

All-time league record:
    Reading               4   4   0   0  11   2   9  12 3.00
    Watford               4   4   0   0   9   3   6  12 3.00
    Barnsley              2   2   0   0   7   0   7   6 3.00
    Wolves                2   2   0   0   6   1   5   6 3.00
    Wigan                 7   6   1   0  13   5   8  19 2.71
    Ipswich              10   8   2   0  23   4  19  26 2.60
    Man City             23  18   3   2  44  14  30  57 2.48
    Fulham               15  12   1   2  33   9  24  37 2.47
    Charlton             16  12   2   2  36  12  24  38 2.38
    Derby                14  10   3   1  27  11  16  33 2.36
    West Brom             7   5   1   1  15   7   8  16 2.29