Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well I was off work and free to watch teh last two arsenal games, two disappointing draws. I start my shift on Saturday at 3pm (same time as kick off). I predict a 4-0 win! :pac:

Dont suppose you fancy a job in the merchant navy nah?

that should keep you away from the arsenal for a time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

SSN saying there'll be more news on the Arshavin transfer but then... The don't really say anything. Apparently Arsene's set a deadline of tomorrow and that Zenit have set their £15m take it or leave it asking price. It's getting really obvious that Arse Shavings won't sign although someone can happily quote me on this if he's holding a jersey in a photoshoot on monday! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sútalún wrote: »
    SSN saying there'll be more news on the Arshavin transfer but then... The don't really say anything. Apparently Arsene's set a deadline of tomorrow and that Zenit have set their £15m take it or leave it asking price. It's getting really obvious that Arse Shavings won't sign although someone can happily quote me on this if he's holding a jersey in a photoshoot on monday! :D

It's increasingly likely that we won't sign anybody and that will completely fubar the rest of our season!

jasonorr wrote: »
    It's increasingly likely that we won't sign anybody and that will completely fubar the rest of our season!

Hold the phone.
    SSN saying he's been granted a work permit. For his MOVE TO ARSENAL.

Sútalún wrote: »
    Hold the phone.
    SSN saying he's been granted a work permit. For his MOVE TO ARSENAL.

Great if it happens (wish I was at home to watch tv), but we need more than Arshavin and I'll bet that the deal won't be concluded until the last minute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Great if it happens (wish I was at home to watch tv), but we need more than Arshavin and I'll bet that the deal won't be concluded until the last minute!
    Wenger - I want Arshavin decision before game

basically in todays conference he said the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I just caught a glimpse of SSN as I was going out the door about how the Arsenal Chairman said it wouldn't be so bad if we didn't qualify for the CL this year. Are they for ****ing real? If we don't why would Cesc & Co. stick around. We will not be able to attract other big name players and next year will be more of the same as this year. It seems the epidemic of complacency is running right through the Arsenal board. I'm not looking forward to seeing Cesc togging out for Barca.

I'll keep ya updated pal... I clearly can't make college with the rain! :D
    Yeah it's not as is we really need Arshavin in the long term. But we tend to get excited about any type of transfer activity. Especially when Arsenal are willing to pay £15m for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I'm not looking forward to seeing Cesc togging out for Barca.
    Cesc could replace Xavi at Barcelona - but he's just gone 29 so Barca don't need him yet. I really think we have Fabregas for another couple of seasons at the very least.

As for that Van Persie goal, he shinned it a bit so I prefer this one:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kGhzZ2Z6v0Y

Awesome goal.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Cesc could replace Xavi at Barcelona - but he's just gone 29 so Barca don't need him yet. I really think we have Fabregas for another couple of seasons at the very least.

Awesome goal.

Anybody remember this goal? I was there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

yahoo_moe wrote: »

Awesome goal.

That's one of my favourite van Persie goals.

This is how i see his childhood:

RVP: "Dad I can hit it really well with my left foot, but what if I have to use my right?"

Dad: "Put your laces through it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Frisbee wrote: »
    you've got my hopes up now, don't let me down
    pray I don't find an old TV, hook it up in the lunchroom and somehow manage to pipe in Setanta Ireland before 5 o' clock.

Anybody remember this goal? I was there :D

I was there too :D
    My fave RvP goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Did Arshavin sign yet ?

redout wrote: »
    Did Arshavin sign yet ?

Did he fúck...

The Press: Arsenal have been given a work permit for Arshavin.
    Wenger: No we haven't, nor have we been given a work permit for any other player!

I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if we sign anybody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Did he fúck...

The Press: Arsenal have been given a work permit for Arshavin.
    Wenger: No we haven't, nor have we been given a work permit for any other player!

I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if we sign anybody!

Sounds about right so.

Bit of trivia I was wondering about. Who was the last person to retire directly from Arsenal? I'm thinking Bergkamp, but I can't be sure. With the way AW treats youngsters and the elders (bringing on 16 year olds and selling older experienced players, Henry, Viera, Pires etc. ), I'm just wondering are the days of staying in Arsenal til the end of your career are over?
    I'm not saying he was wrong selling those players, but surely one of the biggest things were missing now is a talisman that has been around for a while? How many invincibles are left? Only Toure afaik. That was only 5 years ago. How many of Chelsea/Liverpool/Man Utd's players of the same season are still there?

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Bit of trivia I was wondering about. Who was the last person to retire directly from Arsenal? I'm thinking Bergkamp, but I can't be sure. With the way AW treats youngsters and the elders (bringing on 16 year olds and selling older experienced players, Henry, Viera, Pires etc. ), I'm just wondering are the days of staying in Arsenal til the end of your career are over?
    I'm not saying he was wrong selling those players, but surely one of the biggest things were missing now is a talisman that has been around for a while? How many invincibles are left? Only Toure afaik. That was only 5 years ago. How many of Chelsea/Liverpool/Man Utd's players of the same season are still there?
    Most teams like to keep hold of the players that are able to win trophies. Not Arsene though. He knows better!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Arsene Wenger says he is "confident" that Arsenal will sign Andrei Arshavin from Zenit St Petersburg before the end of the current transfer window.

However, the Arsenal boss denied a deal has been completed for the Russian playmaker, 27, or that a work permit had been applied for and granted.

"We are always confident, we try our best, if we can find an agreement, we will do it," said Wenger.

"No deal has been done and we have not applied for a work permit yet."

Wenger added: "Whether we are close or not has little meaning - it does not matter how close you are, what is important is that you agree.

"At the moment, we have no agreement with anybody for any transfer."

Manchester City and Italian champions Inter Milan are also reported to be interested in the midfielder.

Zenit St Petersburg have said they are willing to sell the player at the right price but Arsenal will not improve their offer of £12m plus bonuses for the 27-year-old.
    Arshavin's wage demands have also been a problem but reports suggest he may be willing to compromise.

Wenger said he would like to get a deal sorted out before the end of January but he is aware that he is running out of time.

"These kind of stories sometimes develop in the last minute on the final day of the transfer window. It is very difficult to predict," he said.

"I can only give you the way we think on our side. I cannot give you what other people think."

Link

I'm glad to see it looks like we won't be giving into either Zenit's inflated transfer fee or Arshavin's wage demands, hope we can still get him for the right price. Worringly, no mention of any other possible deals :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Most teams like to keep hold of the players that are able to win trophies. Not Arsene though. He knows better!!

Very few of those players be in the first team if they were still at Arsenal - Henry, Viera and Campbell would be the only ones I'd take. We got excellent money for both Veira and Henry, and all three of them are shadows of the players they were during the invincibles season. The wage bill for these three alone would be enormous too.

High wages are usually offset by winning trophies. If they stayed and won us trophies then high wages wouldn't be a problem

• Advertisement

Wreck wrote: »
    Very few of those players be in the first team if they were still at Arsenal - Henry, Viera and Campbell would be the only ones I'd take. We got excellent money for both Veira and Henry, and all three of them are shadows of the players they were during the invincibles season. The wage bill for these three alone would be enormous too.

I think this is the main reason we get rid of players when they reach a certain age, They become the top earners at the club, while they mightn't be the best players at the club any more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wreck wrote: »

Bob Pires could still definitely be some use to the squad. Cole's a good player but we all know what we think of him. I'd still have Gilberto too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

how is gilberto doin over in greece actually?theres an article over on goal.com about how disapointing flamini is at milan, only started 9 out of their last 20 which is all the more strange seeing as they have a midfield injury crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4875112,00.html

This is very encouraging news. Hopefully by tomorrow evening we will have 3 points in the bag against a very good West Ham team and Arshavin finally on his way to his new club.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If Wenger is talking about him like that then it's a done deal. The papers are saying so too; apparently he's signing a 4 and a half year deal.

Hopefully we can find a Flamini replacement over the summer and we'll be good shape.

Hopefully we can find a Flamini replacement over the summer and we'll be good shape.

Maybe we could even get the Flamster back.
    He's not gone down well in Italy

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Highly unlikely but one can dream.

Adebayor van Persie
    Nasri Fabregas Flamini Arshavin
    Clichy Djourou Gallas Sagna
    Almunia

Backups: Fabianski, Gibbs/Traore, Toure, Silvestre/Eboue, Song, Denilson, Diaby, Ramsey, Walcott, Rosicky, Vela, Wilshere, Eduardo, Bendtner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I've heard so much hype about Arshavins signing that I couldn't care less if we sign him or not. I feel the buzz you used to get out of the transfer window as been trampled to death by overinflated player valuations and manipulative agents.

This signing only takes the focus off the obvious lack of steel in centre midfield. I would have welcomed Kevin Nolan with open arms today had we signed him - he's got fight, energy, can make a pass, tough in the tackle and takes no prisoners. Who've we got? Denilson, Diaby, Eboue???

Wenger needs to work on the backbone of the squad - centre backs and centre mids. No chance of anything being done before the window closes.

I'm starting to think Wenger has little or no control over transfer expenditure regardless of what we're told...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Why didn't we sign Nolan :eek:?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Russia striker Andrei Arshavin is flying to London from Dubai to wrap up a move to Arsenal. (Sky Sports News 0700)

Looks like Wenger was right about getting an answer before todays match and it's likely Arsenal have a new player
    Now who has the B@lls to put his name on your shirt :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Sounds like good news at last. Will take a while to settle though. Where will he play. Id say RM instead of Eboue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Now who has the B@lls to put his name on your shirt :D

Nope, already got both kits with name/numbers. :P

Youth team beat Sunderland 4-0 to progress to youth cup QF.
    Henri Lansbury joins Scunthorpe on loan for a month.
    Rui Fonte joins Crystal Palace on loan for a month.

Check out the new retro kit range. Damn, I really want that 89 away shirt.

http://onlinestore.arsenal.com/invt/a2621&bklist=

He's dropped Djourou and Van Persie today. West Ham to win 10-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Galvasean wrote: »
    Check out the new retro kit range. Damn, I really want that 89 away shirt.
    http://onlinestore.arsenal.com/invt/a2621&bklist=

Oh that is slick... Will have to get me one!

• Advertisement

He's dropped Djourou and Van Persie today. West Ham to win 10-0

He is probably thinking West Ham will kick the s**t out of him today and is only being cautious (and smart). Nicklas is much stronger and will upset them a lot better and with Ade around I'm hoping for a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

I can't believe RVP is on the bench today, he's been carrying the team lately. I really can't take to Bendtner at all but he's got his chance today and he better not blow it (again)!
    Going to pick myself up one of those Retro shirts when I'm over at the Fulham game.
    Prediction: Arsenal 3 Hammers 0
    C'mon Arsenal!

Vela will get an hour here. Finally get to see a good bit of him in a league game.

http://www.iraqgoals.com/en/ch2.html

Has been down for the last 15 mins. Has anybody else got another link to the game. I am sure that the Iraqi boys will be back in the second half....I hope.

Vela on I see on the BBC website updates. Hope he does well. Get the ball more to Nasri, he has the beating of Neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DenMan wrote: »
    Has anybody else got another link to the game.

you not in Ireland? because it's on Setanta Ireland...

• Advertisement

you not in Ireland? because it's on Setanta Ireland...

In Ireland and at home right now and don't have Setanta Sports unfortunately. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

**** from Arsenal! TBH they dont deserve 4th spot. We must have one of the weakest CM squad in the league. Parker was outstanding. If we had him we would not be in this position!

That's just simply not good eneough for Arsenal today. I have never seen a team dominate so much against the opposition and end up with the same scoreline as them. A game we had to win. Only benefits were that Vela looked good when he came on, Nasri had another great game and Villa didn't further extend their lead over us. And especially this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7862768.stm

We were very poor today, created very very few chances, if any. I Thought Nasri played very well and Rvp changed the game when he came on. He should have been on from the start, Bendtner's a clueless greedy clown. I didn't think Vela did that well today tbh, I'll probably get killed for saying that, but he just struggled to make an impact, I guess I was just hoping for more. I don't know if Arshavin is going to be the answer but we need something different on the pitch and we need it now! I wish he'd give Wiltshire a chance.
    We were steeped that Villa only drew.

Is it just me or is it whenever Bendtner gets the ball he slows the game down terribly. Players like Nasri, Denilson, Diaby, Clichy, Sagna all getting forward and want the ball and are always willing to keep going forward. When Nicklas get's it he tends to stop time and as a result Arsenal lose any momentum they have when getting forward and all of our offensive options are thrown out the window. Why wasn't he in the box more? He is a huge man and instead he seemed to be getting in the way of Nasri and Sagna and because of this they had no choice but to pass to him to retain possession. Anybody agree or not?

DenMan wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it whenever Bendtner gets the ball he slows the game down terribly. Players like Nasri, Denilson, Diaby, Clichy, Sagna all getting forward and want the ball and are always willing to keep going forward. When Nicklas get's it he tends to stop time and as a result Arsenal lose any momentum they have when getting forward and all of our offensive options are thrown out the window. Why wasn't he in the box more? He is a huge man and instead he seemed to be getting in the way of Nasri and Sagna and because of this they had no choice but to pass to him to retain possession. Anybody agree or not?
    I agree wholeheartidly with everything you said there, and to add to it I feel he's very reluctant to pass the ball to his teammates. Its very frustrating to watch him trying to beat everybody on the pitch single-handedly when its blatantly obvious he hasn't got the skill or the ability that he thinks he has.

Comparison of this season to previous:
    2008-2009: 24 12  7  5 38 25 13 43
    2007-2008: 24 17  6  1 49 17 32 57 ( 3rd)
    2006-2007: 24 13  6  5 45 20 25 45 ( 4th)
    2005-2006: 24 12  4  8 38 19 19 40 ( 4th)
    2004-2005: 24 15  6  3 53 25 28 51 ( 2nd)
    2003-2004: 24 17  7  0 47 16 31 58 ( 1st)
    2002-2003: 24 16  4  4 52 25 27 52 ( 2nd)
    2001-2002: 24 13  8  3 49 29 20 47 ( 1st)
    2000-2001: 24 11  8  5 39 23 16 41 ( 2nd)
    1999-2000: 24 13  5  6 43 25 18 44 ( 2nd)
    1998-1999: 24 12  9  3 28 11 17 45 ( 2nd)
    1997-1998: 24 12  8  4 44 26 18 44 ( 1st)
    1996-1997: 24 13  7  4 44 23 21 46 ( 3rd)
    1995-1996: 24 10  7  7 32 24  8 37 ( 5th)
    1994-1995: 24  7  8  9 27 27  0 29 (12th)
    1993-1994: 24 12  7  5 30 13 17 43 ( 4th)
    1992-1993: 24 10  5  9 25 23  2 35 (10th)

All-time league record:
    Reading               4   4   0   0  11   2   9  12 3.00
    Watford               4   4   0   0   9   3   6  12 3.00
    Barnsley              2   2   0   0   7   0   7   6 3.00
    Wolves                2   2   0   0   6   1   5   6 3.00
    Wigan                 7   6   1   0  13   5   8  19 2.71
    Ipswich              10   8   2   0  23   4  19  26 2.60
    Man City             23  18   3   2  44  14  30  57 2.48
    Fulham               15  12   1   2  33   9  24  37 2.47
    Charlton             16  12   2   2  36  12  24  38 2.38
    Derby                14  10   3   1  27  11  16  33 2.36
    West Brom             7   5   1   1  15   7   8  16 2.29
    Leicester            16  10   5   1  38  13  25  35 2.19
    Crystal Palace        8   5   2   1  16   5  11  17 2.13
    Birmingham           10   6   3   1  19   5  14  21 2.10
    Nottingham Forest    10   6   3   1  13   7   6  21 2.10
    Everton              34  21   8   5  67  27  40  71 2.09
    Sunderland           15   9   4   2  30  11  19  31 2.07
    Southampton          26  15   7   4  50  24  26  52 2.00
    Oldham                4   2   2   0   4   1   3   8 2.00
    Swindon               2   1   1   0   5   1   4   4 2.00
    Coventry             18  10   5   3  25  13  12  35 1.94
    West Ham             28  16   6   6  40  17  23  54 1.93
    Middlesbrough        27  15   7   5  60  26  34  52 1.93
    Portsmouth           11   5   6   0  17   6  11  21 1.91
    Bolton               20  11   5   4  32  22  10  38 1.90
    Blackburn            29  15   7   7  47  26  21  52 1.79
    Chelsea              33  16  11   6  49  35  14  59 1.79
    Villa                34  16  12   6  53  30  23  60 1.76
    Bradford              4   2   1   1   6   3   3   7 1.75
    Newcastle            31  15   8   8  43  26  17  53 1.71
    Leeds                24  12   4   8  43  25  18  40 1.67
    Spurs                33  13  15   5  51  36  15  54 1.64
    Norwich               8   3   4   1  17   9   8  13 1.63
    MK Dons              16   7   4   5  30  16  14  25 1.56
    Sheffield Wednesday  16   7   4   5  21  16   5  25 1.56
    Sheffield United      6   2   3   1   9   4   5   9 1.50
    Hull                  2   1   0   1   4   3   1   3 1.50
    Man United           33  10  10  13  33  43 -10  40 1.21
    Liverpool            33   9  10  14  32  44 -12  37 1.12
    QPR                   8   1   5   2   7   8  -1   8 1.00
    Stoke                 1   0   0   1   1   2  -1   0 0.00

Anyone else feeling a bit numb to these inadequate performances/results or is it just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sorry if this was answered already but I'm interested to know why the Arsenal players were wearing black armbands for todays games.

Anyone know?

mikemac wrote: »
    Sorry if this was answered already but I'm interested to know why the Arsenal players were wearing black armbands for todays games.

Anyone know?

Arsenal's former club doctor, John Crane passed away. He was also involved in the England set-up during four world cups. RIP Dr Crane.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/former-club-doctor-john-crane-a-tribute

mikemac wrote: »

Anyone know?

gun__1232964768_crane_doctor.jpg

Former club doctor John Crane died.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement