Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm sure he (Mike) apppreciates the thought Jay. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thanks for the fast replies.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Anybody else think at this stage that we're not going to sign anybody? Looks like the Arshavin deal has never really got anywhere and we're not interested in Veloso by the looks of things. Or was all the talk just a smokescreen for the fact that we are absolutely potless and have no chance of competing for anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Hopefully Cesc will be back soon and refreshed from his break. We all know how much we miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

keano_afc wrote: »
    Anybody else think at this stage that we're not going to sign anybody? Looks like the Arshavin deal has never really got anywhere and we're not interested in Veloso by the looks of things. Or was all the talk just a smokescreen for the fact that we are absolutely potless and have no chance of competing for anyone?

We will get Arshavin. Wenger never talks about transfers. The fact he is talking about this one means it is in the bag. Just Zenit and agents sh1te talking.

I might be wrong of course.

But I'm not.

Just been reading there is a private jet standing by in Russia to take him to London. Talk about going right down to the wire but I hope to wake up tomorrow morning and hear we have finally got our man. Of course there will be at least another gem or two that will come out with the Arshavin transfer as up until now it's been all hush hush. Lets hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ssn breaking news

Arshavin is travelling to london ahead of a proposed move to Arsenal

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ssn breaking news

Arshavin is travelling to london ahead of a proposed move to Arsenal
    They said that on Friday too!

Window closes tomorrow at 5 so we'll know one way or another soon enough. I really hope it's true. I know some aren't sold on him, but to me he looks like the closest thing we'll get to Bobby Pires. He's got pace, can dribble well, has great vision and scores goals. If we can get someone in midfield who can break down play early and release it to him we could see a return of the breakneck counter-attacking moves that characterised the Invincibles. The possession-based football of Cesc's team is nice and all, but the Invincibles were more asthetically pleasing and exciting.

I think wing wise Arshavin is the key to our success. He can either play wide right or behind the main striker, very similar to Walcott. Theo is wasted out right and his best position is behind the forward ala Arshavin. Put him or Theo on the right and we will win games and a lot of points towards the latter half of the season. Villa will lose two on the bounce and we will claw back that five point advantage they have over us. Come on the Gunners. I am very happy to be an Arsenal supporter. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

SSN have been stalking Arshavin at his hotel in London this morning, so good news is to be expected later.

There's also talk of a "mystery club" making moves for Veloso

Lets hope wenger knows where he left his cheque book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Galvasean wrote: »

While I didn't agree with his manuevering the club into the proposed take over, I think we really are missing Dein's influence in the club, and what we are seeing on the pitch is partly the result of his departure.

No mention of an Arshavin deal on the BBC website, but there this little nugget, giving me some (undoubtedlty false) hope :pac:
    Bolton's £15m bid for Miguel Veloso was rejected on Sunday night after a mystery Premier League club joined the race for Sporting Lisbon's Portuguese midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The Arshavin deal is off according to SSN.

The Arshavin deal is off according to SSN.

HOLY ****!

ffs, just caught a quick sight of this as SSN went to an add break, you just gotta laugh at this story if its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its pretty bad Arsenal can't afford 15 million tbh

• Advertisement

apparently they only offered the player half of what he's currently earning at zenit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

apparently they only offered the player half of what he's currently earning at zenit.
    He is on €100k a week at Zentih. Arsenal were never gonna match that figure.

I dunno why they bothered bidding for him if that's all they were prepared to offer.

We couldnt afford his wage demands apparently. If we get Veloso instead I wont mind

We couldnt afford his wage demands apparently. If we get Veloso instead I wont mind

Seeing as Bolton bid £15m for him and failed I wouldn't expect that deal to happen.

• Advertisement

He is on €100k a week at Zentih. Arsenal were never gonna match that figure.

Which is fair enough, im pretty sure £80k a week is the limit Arsenal work
    at but I just want to echo what Royale said down below
    I dunno why they bothered bidding for him if that's all they were prepared to offer.

Why bother really?????? Surly Arsenal have been in contact with the players agent at sometime over the last 30 days to sound out a ballpark figure of what the player wants.

And for a deal to fall apart at this late stage is nothing short of a joke.

Seeing as Bolton bid £15m for him and failed I wouldn't expect that deal to happen.

Was it not in the summer last year that the board said they would spend £30 million on player if AW wanted him? Time to back that up methinks.

Was it not in the summer last year that the board said they would spend £30 million on player if AW wanted him? Time to back that up methinks.

I'm thinking some money will be set aside for next year in the event that Arsenal don't qualify for the Champions League. I just can't see Arsenal not doing that after all these years of financial prudence. If they do qualify it'd be turned into the summer transfer budget.

If there was really £30m the Arshavin deal wouldn't have stalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think the deal fell apart over the structuring of the payment. Zenit apparently wanted it all up front, which is a bit ridiculous tbh, there are very few clubs who are in a position to offer that amount of cash in one go without taking out a high interest short term loan. Given Arsenal's current debt with the Emirates they were never going to borrow excessively for this deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think the deal fell apart over the structuring of the payment. Zenit apparently wanted it all up front, which is a bit ridiculous tbh, there are very few clubs who are in a position to offer that amount of cash in one go without taking out a high interest short term loan. Given Arsenal's current debt with the Emirates they were never going to borrow excessively for this deal.

My understanding is that they wanted 15million up front in terms of on straight fee - while Arsenal were offering 12million plus 3 million in performance related fees.

Arsene Wenger after the match at the weekend

"We can of course compete financially"

If the transfer is infact off does anybody else think Wenger talks out of his "Arsene" i dunno 90% of the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Spend all month trying to sign a player and then it falls at wages

****ing hell :mad:

Latest news is that Arshavin has failed his medical. You can but laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

This Arshavin deal has been a complete joke and if we don't sign a new player i really will have lost hope and confidence in Arsenal winning the battle with villa to secure 4th spot this season.

Arshavin may aswell jump on a plane to Manchester and let city give him 150k a week.

So frustrating.......

I heard Arsenal are in for Didier Baptiste

• Advertisement

Cardiff game tomorrow is postponed. Van Persie rested for no reason on Saturday then.

The failed medical story is untrue apparently. Talks are "ongoing". I hate that word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Sky Sports are saying he is on his way back to the airport after failing to agree wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

This makes no sense - they've had a month to talk about this stuff on the phone and email - would they really wait till he flies over on the final day to sort out the wages or fee? The only thing I can think of is a failed medical.

I used to wonder why we were interested in Arshavin - it seemed like a short-term solution to Fabregas' injury. However I think what he is doing is removing our dependance on him for creativity which has become all too apparent in few games i've been watching lately - we've been great defensive lately and Diaby was brilliant on Saturday - can't believe Parker got MOM - Diaby won the ball straight back every time West Ham got it. Our defense has been great too and haven't conceded many goals. Its no co-incidence most of our goals have come late in games - when we resort to Jack Charlton style hoofin-the ball up the park to Adebayor or Bendtner. With those two plus Van Persie we have good enough finishers to make it work. Thats why we haven't scored from open play before the 80th minute in our last 5 league games and 6 of the last 7 games overall. Without Fabregas the Arsene Wenger way doesn't work so I say "Get Jack Charlton in":D. Seriously, we'd have a better chance if we did that for the whole match instead of the last ten minutes.

Look at United - they have a great defensive record too but the difference is they've been winning games 1-0 whereas we've drawn a couple 0-0 and 1-1. The 0-0 draws against Cardiff and West Ham (63% possession)were just disgraceful. The extra money we pay for Arshavin will be worth it if his creativity gets us into the Champions League as without it we would lose even more money. Plus Fabregas, Wolcott and Van Persie. What are they gonna think about Arsenal's ambition if we are nit-picking over paying 3 million out of 15 million up front. At least selling some stars might allow us pay back our stadium loans a bit quicker.:pac:

Cardiff game tomorrow is postponed. Van Persie rested for no reason on Saturday then.

3 inch's of snow and the country shuts down,

HORRIBLE ****IN DAY

*edit came across these pics from the grove

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/emirates-stadium-in-the-snow?image=1

Lads I'd stop jumping to conclusions over the Arshavin transfer based on SSN - most of the time these guys just make up their own headlines based on what they hear from some random punter.

A couple of things are certain though, Arsenal will not break the wage structure for him, and both he and his agent would have been made fully aware of this from the get go. Also, if Zenit are actually asking for 15 million cash up front then its pretty ridiculous and its quite possible that the club would be unable to lay their hands on that much cash at short notice. If Zenit need cash that badly I'm pretty sure they'll take the 12 million plus performance related fees once its clear Arsenal are going to stump up the extra.

I'd say its pretty likely that this deal will go through.

Thats why we haven't scored from open play before the 80th minute in our last 5 league games and 6 of the last 7 games overall

Quite a scary statistic it must be said

Haha this is hilarious:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/02/andrei-arshavin-arsenal-transfer-breakdown
    "What has been the problem with this deal? Money as always. The Russians are [unrealistic] and how can Arsenal offer less than £15m and half of Arshavin's contract?

So half of Arshavin's contract is 50,000 a week, still a reasonable amount of money....
    "They thought they could pull this off by saying we are a big club, this is a nice country, all that stuff. But he's not a 16-year-old from Africa. The life in England is more expensive - a car, a house, it's all more expensive in London, and he has to bring his family. He has one kid who is three years old, another who is one year old. It's ridiculous."

Yeah the poor lad...he has two young kids and Arsenal expect him to bring them up on 50,000 a week. In an expensive city like London. :eek: Rediculous.

In fairness, I can understand him not wanting to sell himself short and take such a big cut in wages. But playing the "I have two young kids" sympathy card. Come on!

Quite a scary statistic it must be said

Yep, proving the only way a Fabregas-less Arsenal can score is hoof up the park tactics. Scary.

• Advertisement

Haha this is hilarious:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/02/andrei-arshavin-arsenal-transfer-breakdown

So half of Arshavin's contract is 50,000 a week, still a reasonable amount of money....

Yeah the poor lad...he has two young kids and Arsenal expect him to bring them up on 50,000 a week. In an expensive city like London. :eek: Rediculous.

In fairness, I can understand him not wanting to sell himself short and take such a big cut in wages. But playing the "I have two young kids" sympathy card. Come on!

You missed the best bit of this crap
    Arsenal have been making big waves by saying this would be the big historic transfer in the history of the Gunners.

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Okay I've lost interest in following every random rumour about Arshavin - I'm just going to wait until there's a yes or no - but on the plus side, we can earn some spare cash if we act quickly and rent out the stadium for an ice hockey match:

gun__1233572571_emirates_snow06.jpg?ic=5f9aedT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Arsenal/Cardiff match has been called off tomorrow night.
    The one fecking time I'm not in work or have a match... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Zenith never wnted the deal to go through anyway. Hence why they made it as awkward as possilble. Same happened when Tottenham were after him, same when Barcelona were after him.

Deal is back on according to SSN. Whoop de do.

Deal is back on according to SSN. Whoop de do.

I doubt it. They're just dragging the story out for another few hours.

• Advertisement

I hope he doesn't sign.. I'm sick of the **** already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Has anybody seen this classic save from one of our ex players (:pac:).

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2017466/

Ye can see Ribery was gutted when this didn't go in, funny stuff though.

Latest news is that the clubs have agreed on terms and Arshavin has accepted our contract offer! :):):):)

Still seems to be an issue with regards a payment Zenit want from the player himself

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Has anybody seen this classic save from one of our ex players (:pac:).

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2017466/

Ye can see Ribery was gutted when this didn't go in, funny stuff though.

God i miss him and his crazy german ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

This seems to be the latest:

1558: This just in from BBC Radio 5 Live's Mike Sewell: "Arsenal and Zenit have agreed a fee and I understand personal terms have also been agreed and Andrei Arshavin is having a medical this afternoon. But there is a but, as Zenit want half of his signing-on fee for signing for Arsenal. That is now the sticking point." Hmm. They've got (weather permitting) 62 minutes to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

SSN are saying:

15.48 At last Arsenal and Zenit St Petersburg have finally agreed a fee for the transfer of Andrei Arshavin to the Gunners. The deal is still to be finalised though with Arshavin and the Russians still to sort out a final payment. It is understood Arshavin will wear the number 13 shirt.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement