Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Would you believe they have just updated it again and took Arsenal from 2009 down just a minute ago or so. Expect more "updates" during the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wikipedia can be edited by anyone. I'm sure it's just overzealous fans 'updating' only for someone else to take it down because it hasn't been confirmed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

But the deal was not done at 4.30, they were still negotiating at 7, that is not a done deal and it should not be allowed.

Arshavin was skulling pints of stella with Ray Parlour in the Crown on Holloway Road at 4 o clock this evening so the deal was well finished.

Walcott was there too but he only had milk and was given money for the pool table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Seems everythings gone through. In fairness, the weather thing is only an excuse - but as long as the registration faxes are in the office tomorrow morning everything should be fine

Great signing by the way, although apparently he won't play for a couple of weeks due to conditioning requirements - maybe a couple of sub appearances would be good though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Obviously, I'm biased in saying this, but if Zenit were out after 5 saying a transfer hadn't been agreed, then he shouldn't be allowed sign, because it means that there was nothing to do with the weather at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

DSB wrote: »
    Obviously, I'm biased in saying this, but if Zenit were out after 5 saying a transfer hadn't been agreed, then he shouldn't be allowed sign, because it means that there was nothing to do with the weather at all.

But did they? Premier league registration dept have been short of staff today because of the weather, faxes are supposed to have gone through at 16:30 but due to the sheer volume of deals today the premier league can't confirm the deal today, I would assume that each deal has to be gone through by the legal dept to make sure everything is correct.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    But did they? Premier league registration dept have been short of staff today because of the weather, faxes are supposed to have gone through at 16:30 but due to the sheer volume of deals today the premier league can't confirm the deal today, I would assume that each deal has to be gone through by the legal dept to make sure everything is correct.

Well thats the thing really, if it was done, fair enough, but there definitely shouldn't be an extension in this case. It wasn't the weather or administration delays that caused the problem in this case. It was Zenit by the sounds of things. Although no1 really knows yet, will become much clearer tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Although no1 really knows yet, will become much clearer tomorrow.

+1

I'm sure we will find out on Tueday, hopefully everything has gone through ok, he will be a good signing for us and hopefully with injured players to come back we can push on now and pick up as many points as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

French press association have the transfer down saying that the premier league needs to confirm a 12 million pound transfer for a 3 year contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4888676,00.html
    Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is confident a deal to sign Andrei Arshavin will go through, but the Premier League is not expected to ratify the switch until Tuesday.

The Zenit St Petersburg playmaker passed a medical and agreed personal terms with the Gunners on transfer deadline day, and looked set to secure the move before the 5pm deadline.

However, reports emanating from Russia suggested talks between Arshavin and Zenit over a final payment threatened to collapse the proposed switch.

Wenger, though, told Sky Sports News that he expected "positive" news to be announced later on Monday.

And in yet another twist in this protracted saga, a conclusion to the transfer is not expected to be finalised by the Premier League until Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Although no1 really knows yet, will become much clearer tomorrow.
    Exactly - so how's about we all just wait and see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

/taps foot impatiently

Zenit St Petersburg have confirmed Arsenal have signed Andrei Arshavin.

The Russian's on-off move to Emirates Stadium dominated transfer deadline day with the deal not being confirmed by the close of play on Monday.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger told Sky Sports News on Monday that the deal would go through and was being held up as it was yet to be ratified by the Premier League.

The Premier League is expected to finalise the paperwork on Tuesday to allow Arshavin to seal his switch to North London and Zenit claim the move has gone through in a deal worth more that £12million.

"Both clubs have managed to complete the deal. Arshavin will play for Arsenal from now on," Zenit spokesman Alexei Petrov told Russian television.

"The conditions of the contract are very favourable for Zenit," Petrov said. "The value of the deal is much more than £12million."

Arshavin is believed to have agreed a three-and-a-half-year deal at Arsenal and could make his debut in this weekend's North London derby with Tottenham.

Link

Well it looks like Zenit are finally on the same page as Arsenal and Arshavin anyway, although a lot of total bs has been attributed to Petrov over the last while. Still waiting on an announcement from Arsenal confirming it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I think Arshavin will be an excellent addition to the Arsenal squad tbh. I know it may not have been the number one position to reinforce, as you desperately need a quality CB/ DMF. But too many times this season have I seen the likes of Denilson and Diaby dilly dally on the ball and lose possession. Whether this is because they are still young, or couldn't see a good attacking outlet I don't know. However, Arshavin is a true intelligent attacker, he will really add a cutting edge to your wings, instead of this "run to the touch line, cut back inside, and try to dribble everyone in the box" mentality like Theo has every now and then. Very good acquisition for 15 million, would have definitely welcomed him at Barca for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Arshvin.jpg

It's an old one, but it's funny :D

Almost 24 hours since the deadline and still no announcement. Starting to think there must be something wrong, maybe the documents weren't in on time after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arshavin FINALLY signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Arshavin FINALLY signs.

Thankfully thats now over.
    Hopefully hes the player we have being missing, and by the sounds of it, Arsenal got him at a good price.

Arshavin FINALLY signs.

At last, he better be worth all the hassle. Will he be in the squad for the weekend? Could probably do with him to be honest, although he's apparently lacking match fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

he hasnt played a full game since late November but i wouldent be surprised to see him go straight to the bench.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

So like I said all along I though Kevin Nolan could be bought for about 5 euro, should of bought him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

gun__1233680011_arshavin_gallery4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They gave him two jerseys anyway - that'll make up a bit for the wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Aww thank christ for that! Woulda been quited pissed off if after all that he wasn't signed.

Heres a good video, 10 minutes of hopefully what we can expect:cool:

Also, go back to the first page of this thread and check what we were talking about:pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Hurrah.

The Times are saying it is £10m potentially rising to £12m. A steal if that is accurate, but even if it is £15m I'm not complaining.

Andrey v Robbie for sunday

can't wait

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I doubt he'll play.

I doubt he'll play.

Comes off the bench to score the winner = instant hero. That's the dream anyway :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I doubt he'll play.

Yeah, he mentioned in an interview that the work permit isn't sorted yet but that he'll be there anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's brilliant we finally have Arshavin. Just watched his interview on the BBC website. Great signing Arsenal. :) New transfer record as well for the club. One of the Guns now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Great that he's finally signed :D Wish we got Nolan too though, would have been a steal at 4million.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Arshavin: " im happy to be here i became goonner some times ago i am happy now!"

"it was very hard days for me but now it doesnt matter now im goonner its, its important!"

Brillant to have this man i've a good feeling he will do the business for us!!!:) Hopefully makes it to the bench on sunday!

he doesnt have bad english at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

he doesnt have bad english at all

His English was mad ! Go watch the clip on BBC. He didnt seem to know much when being questioned by the presenter for Gunners tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

He's listed as a forward in Fantasy Football

No chance :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

arsenal needed somebody with experience, and somebody with proven pedigree and you have that.

well done.

if it came down to a choice between nobody (which seemed likely let's be honest), and an attacking midfielder of the calibre of Andrey, you'd obviously pick Andrey everytime. he gives you more quality and depth to your attacking options. where everyone fits in to a fully fit team remains to be seen, but it's not a bad problem to have.

it's a pity for you the defensive side of the team (defense or midfield) couldn't be addressed - Nolan or even Bullard could have done a job I think.

even so, the most ridiculous transfer saga in living memory....not helped by the farcical 'my mate says' coverage on SSN.....is over, and you have your man.

i look forward to seeing how he does in this league. just don't screw up 'pool's title hopes when you come to anfield in april. thanks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Frisbee wrote: »
    He's listed as a forward in Fantasy Football

No chance :cool:

his best position is as a support striker in my opinion. he's best on the ball, and best high up the pitch. put him as a support striker and he will always be moving to receive, in midfield he is a lot more contrained and even though he can do a job on the wings he isn't a natural winger and doesn't offer enough width imo. I'm not sure where exactly Wenger will play him, but given how static Arsenal look in the final third this season i really do think AW should be looking to start him high up the pitch so i'd like to see him alond side van Persie meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

Arshavin is very overrated. I can see him being a major flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

his best position is as a support striker in my opinion. he's best on the ball, and best high up the pitch. put him as a support striker and he will always be moving to receive, in midfield he is a lot more contrained and even though he can do a job on the wings he isn't a natural winger and doesn't offer enough width imo. I'm not sure where exactly Wenger will play him, but given how static Arsenal look in the final third this season i really do think AW should be looking to start him high up the pitch so i'd like to see him alond side van Persie meself.

I meant no chance as in no chance he's taking one of my FF striker spots.

He might have made it in if:

a) He was listed as a midfielder
    b) He didn't cost 9.5

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    arsenal needed somebody with experience, and somebody with proven pedigree and you have that.

What are you talking about? No1 even knew who Arshavin was a year ago.

he's still got experience whether we were watching him on sky sports or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if you read the rest of my post you should have gathered that when I said 'somebody', I simply meant that other positions probably should have been a priority imo, but getting 'somebody' in......i.e. someone of high quality which he is (unless you want to dispute that?), someone whose not a kid which he isn't.....was important nonetheless.

in conclusion, overall, it's a good signing I reckon.

so that is what I was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

The way Arshavin can just inject so much pace into an attack is really what I think we've been lacking when trying to break down most defences.

Btw, does no one else think we should have signed Nolan also?

Gangsta wrote: »
    Btw, does no one else think we should have signed Nolan also?

Ask Frisbee I've been calling for this in thread's going back a long time.
    I'll try dig up some posts. I always thought he would be perfect for ye. **** it I'll stick my neck on the line and say at a big club he could be better than Gerrard, I really ****ing rate the man.

EDIT::
    Hmm seems I was first calling for Man City to buy him, but I've definately mentioned it more than a couple of times about him being a great purchase for Arsenal as cover while Fab is out, and who knows if he was to bed in maybe even make a great partnership with Fab, especially now with Arshavin just ahead of them /lick

redout wrote: »
    His English was mad ! Go watch the clip on BBC. He didnt seem to know much when being questioned by the presenter for Gunners tv.

The average Arsenal supporter would be fluent in broken French, Urdu, Spanish, French again, Adebayor (he has his own language) and Swiss.........Russian isn't much of a stretch to add to that.....

Dung...........Arsenal have been after him for more than a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I'm certain he will play him on the wing.

I think Wenger see's him as a Pires type of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

First time posting here in a while so excuse me if I don't refer to any previous posts (probably 'cause I didn't read them). I'm happy we signed Arsh but am dissapointed we didn't sign at least 2 defenders. I think this'll come back to bite us on the arsenal.

Anyway, Villa will fade away over the next few weeks and we'll happily finish in 3rd.

Peace

newbie2 wrote: »
    First time posting here in a while so excuse me if I don't refer to any previous posts (probably 'cause I didn't read them). I'm happy we signed Arsh but am dissapointed we didn't sign at least 2 defenders. I think this'll come back to bite us on the arsenal.

Anyway, Villa will fade away over the next few weeks and we'll happily finish in 3rd.

Peace

Along with the european and FA Cups??....I'll take 4th......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think Wenger see's him as a Pires type of player.

You could only wish. I used to model myself on Pires (before I was moved to supporting striker role). His work-rate was under-rated.

He won a serious amount of ball and never really got credit for it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement