Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

GuanYin wrote: »
    I used to model myself on Pires

You had one of them chin goatee things?

/backs away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You had one of them chin goatee things?

/backs away

ohh his soul patch!!!!! I forgot about that. :)

I meant I used to try and trackback and work on stamina to cover more ground.

Was horrible though, my legs were like trunks :(

Seriously though, that is what the Arsenal are missing now. They don't have the late-breaking players they once did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

And I highly doubt Arshavin will bring you that. Gonna get it straight off that I am an ABA man (Anybody but Arsenal) hence why I have never posted in here. But just thought I would come in and diss Arshavin a bit :D.
    To people saying he see's him as another Pires role, their is not a hope he will be like that. Arshavin doesn't have the work rate to do it. He will not score as many as Pires either, Arshavin is a striker/Attacking midfielder yet he never scored more than 10 goals in a season bar once. Add to that the fact he is 27/8 so can't afford a season or 2 to settle in and needs to hit the ground running. Realisticaly (I know Wenger has been after him for longer) but he is only really known for a good Euro 2008 (Which Iwould also like to add he only played 3 games in, but in fairness he got MOTM in 2) .
    I think he will be very injury prone as well especially in his 1st season. Also I don't know why but I really can't see him and RVP getting along all too well as both are practically the same player and both are set piece speciallists (I think) I would not be surprised to see the 2 arguing.

Well that's my take on it, so feel free to discuss/applaud/chase me out of town with flaming torches :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I am an ABA man (Anybody but Arsenal)

Really? Who do you support so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I think he will be very injury prone as well especially in his 1st season.

So you are a Doctor
    Also I don't know why but I really can't see him and RVP getting along all too well as both are practically the same player and both are set piece speciallists (I think) I would not be surprised to see the 2 arguing.

And a phsycologist

I'm impressed !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gonna get it straight off that I am an ABA man (Anybody but Arsenal)

Any particular reason for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The average Arsenal supporter would be fluent in .... Urdu.

Not nitpicking but who's the Urdu speaker???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

And I highly doubt Arshavin will bring you that. Gonna get it straight off that I am an ABA man (Anybody but Arsenal) hence why I have never posted in here. But just thought I would come in and diss Arshavin a bit :D.
    To people saying he see's him as another Pires role, their is not a hope he will be like that. Arshavin doesn't have the work rate to do it. He will not score as many as Pires either, Arshavin is a striker/Attacking midfielder yet he never scored more than 10 goals in a season bar once. Add to that the fact he is 27/8 so can't afford a season or 2 to settle in and needs to hit the ground running. Realisticaly (I know Wenger has been after him for longer) but he is only really known for a good Euro 2008 (Which Iwould also like to add he only played 3 games in, but in fairness he got MOTM in 2) .
    I think he will be very injury prone as well especially in his 1st season. Also I don't know why but I really can't see him and RVP getting along all too well as both are practically the same player and both are set piece speciallists (I think) I would not be surprised to see the 2 arguing.

Well that's my take on it, so feel free to discuss/applaud/chase me out of town with flaming torches :D.

According to wikipedia Pires scored 6 goals in 66 games the two seasons before we bought him from Marseille.

Arshavin scored 16 goals in 57 games in his last two seasons for Zenit.

In the Uefa cup run of 2007 he scored 4 goals in 14 games and got 10 assists in the 14 games.

I think he has the potential to score as many as Pires.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

While i'm happy with Arsenal getting Arshavin I still think its not really the signing we needed. I would like to have seen a strong centre mid player come in somebody like Alonso or Arteta. I would have also liked to see a good centre back come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

New to this forum, huge arsenal fan, try to get over 2 or 3 times a season. Im delighted we signed arshavin. It showe's ambition and i think he will really help us in the battle for fourth place. I havent seen that much of him but he seems to have pace, creativity and a confidence to shoot from anywhere which we really need.
    I would have liked to see a defender added to the squad, cant think of any names but im not a big fan of gallas (i think theres a good chance hes leaving in the summer) and i think backup for djourou and toure is needed as that is where we are weakest.
    Next season, even if we dont sign anyone in the summer, I think our squad will be so much stronger with rosicky and eduordo both fit again. Fabregas back soon and with denilson with a season under his belt the team looks alot stronger than it appears at times this year.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing arshavin in action. Hopefully he doesnt dissapoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

You're clearly just talking out of your hoop on the chance that any of this comes through and you can come back to gloat.

One point i'm gonna pick up on to illustrate my point is the injury prone thing. Every year for the past ten years he has played in no less than 27 games in the Russian league(which consists of 30 games a season). Now your entitled to your opinions and all, but you're clearly just guessing.

Myself, I watched him in the UEFA cup last year when someone on here(think it was Estie) kept mentioning him. And then of course the Euros. I personally think he's a class act and should be able to do very well in a team like Arsenal. I also trust that Wenger will have scouted him out thoroughly before buying him, so even if most regular fans dont know too much about him then you can bve assured Wenger does.

jasonorr wrote: »
    Really? Who do you support so?
    I am a Liverpool man.
    Evil_Clown wrote: »
    So you are a Doctor

And a phsycologist

I'm impressed !!
    Thanks took me a while to achieve :D
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Any particular reason for that?
    Just hatred of everything you do. Wenger, Fabregas, Bendtner, Gallas, Almunia etc. I could go on but you get the idea. The only play I actually kind of like is Samir Nasri.
    According to wikipedia Pires scored 6 goals in 66 games the two seasons before we bought him from Marseille.

In the Uefa cup run of 2007 he scored 4 goals in 14 games and got 10 assists in the 14 games.

I didn't know that, fair play with the stats. Will be interesting to see if he can get anywhere near Pires's form at Arsenal.
    playa3 wrote: »
    You're clearly just talking out of your hoop on the chance that any of this comes through and you can come back to gloat.

One point i'm gonna pick up on to illustrate my point is the injury prone thing. Every year for the past ten years he has played in no less than 27 games in the Russian league(which consists of 30 games a season). Now your entitled to your opinions and all, but you're clearly just guessing.

Myself, I watched him in the UEFA cup last year when someone on here(think it was Estie) kept mentioning him. And then of course the Euros. I personally think he's a class act and should be able to do very well in a team like Arsenal. I also trust that Wenger will have scouted him out thoroughly before buying him, so even if most regular fans dont know too much about him then you can bve assured Wenger does.
    The reason I say the injury thing is that he isn't the biggest guy in the world, I don't know how tough the Russian league is but a skillful player like Arshavin usually struggles when the kicks start coming in especially in their 1st season. Believe me I am not the type of person to gloat about getting something right as its all just guesswork in all honesty I say that as I believe it but he could become player of the year, as anything can happen, I just believe that what I said will happen.
    Believe me you will not see me in here gloating if it does come true

I am a Liverpool man.

Strange one that, I don't think I've ever heard a Liverpool man saying they hated Arsenal or vise versa, whatever you're into! You could have had a little subtlety though and just put your point across without mentioning that...you might actually get a proper response!

True, I know I am one of the very few people I know that I don't really like Arsenal, most love them for their style of football. I probably shouldn't have put it in my 1st post in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

its all just guesswork in all honesty
    Thanks for clearing that up - I thought you had a crystal ball there for a sec.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

lol aye there's not a huge amount of arsenal angst amongst pool fans, I look at it 2 ways if we had of the league the year with thomas and the late goal we may not have suffered as we have since then, on the other hand if it was not for arsenal (and to an extent chelsea) over the last few years Man Utd would have taken Pool League record by now.
    Add to that Arsenal have played the best football in england (close top being in the world) for a number of years (prety much since Arsene's first day in charge) and that ye don't splash the cash all over the place have fairly strict policies on youth development, wages, and general fiscal ****e.
    5 thumbs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just hatred of everything you do. Wenger, Fabregas, Bendtner, Gallas, Almunia etc. I could go on but you get the idea. The only play I actually kind of like is Samir Nasri.

I can understand why you might not like a few of the players but how could you possibly hate Sagna? Or walcott for that matter

The reason I say the injury thing is that he isn't the biggest guy in the world, I don't know how tough the Russian league is but a skillful player like Arshavin usually struggles when the kicks start coming in especially in their 1st season. Believe me I am not the type of person to gloat about getting something right as its all just guesswork in all honesty I say that as I believe it but he could become player of the year, as anything can happen, I just believe that what I said will happen.
    Believe me you will not see me in here gloating if it does come true

Alright fair enough if thats what you believe. One player i would point to though would be Robinho. He's small and he hasn't done too bad for himself!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

playa3 wrote: »
    I can understand why you might not like a few of the players but how could you possibly hate Sagna? Or walcott for that matter

Sagna has stupid hair and Walcott was slightly the victim of the England hype machine before he got injured when he scored that hat trick against Croatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Sagna has stupid hair

You take that back right now!

:pac:

Frisbee wrote: »
    You take that back right now!

:pac:

Ha. Sagna's hair doesn't bother me, just the only reason I could think for anybody to hate him.

• Advertisement

Ha. Sagna's hair doesn't bother me, just the only reason I could think for anybody to hate him.

Damn straight it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Walcott was slightly the victim of the England hype machine before he got injured when he scored that hat trick against Croatia.

But every country hypes up their players teams imo.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    But every country hypes up their players teams imo.

Once again, just the only reason I could think of for anybody to hate Walcott. He's very well spoken and has his head screwed on, he's like the anti English footballer.

I've never heard of anybody even disliking either of those players, nevermind hating them. Almunia? Does anybody care enough about him to hate him? Maybe it's the hair again. Very few people dislike Fabregas. Bendtner, Gallas. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Once again, just the only reason I could think of for anybody to hate Walcott.
    I've never heard of anybody even disliking either of those players, nevermind hating them. Almunia? Does anybody care enough about him to hate him? Maybe it's the hair again. Very few people dislike Fabregas. Bendtner, Gallas. Fair enough.

True. Saw an interview with Walcotts dad, was very impressed with how he came across, very well spoken and any interview I have seen with Theo has been the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Once again, just the only reason I could think of for anybody to hate Walcott. He's very well spoken and has his head screwed on, he's like the anti English footballer.

:eek::eek::eek:

All the rest fair enough, but Gallas is the ultimate in modern hatable man technology imo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Similarly, Nasri scored 11 in 121 league games at Marseilles, but has 5 in 17 at Arsenal.
    Very few people dislike Fabregas.
    He's petulant. Or at least, that's generally how the people who don't like him reason it. Like the way Alonso is a cheat with no sense of fair play because he didn't kick the ball out of play a few years ago.

(Alonso is a class act, btw).
    keane2097 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

All the rest fair enough, but Gallas is the ultimate in modern hatable man technology imo.
    I think you've misunderstood his post a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

its going to be interesting to see what sort of line - up wenger will field with a full team to choose from:

my choice:

al
    back four

song

arshavin fab nasri

rvp ade

but then we miss out on rosicky(if he makes it back!) eduardo theo and vela

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I think Wenger will stick with his preferred 4-4-2

Almunia

Sanga Gallas Djourou Clichy

Arshavin Fabregas Denilson Nasri

Van Persie Adebayor

With Walcott and Rosicky(if ever fit) to fight for the wing positions

and Eduardo and Bendtner to fight for the forward positions

almunia

-sagna---toure---djourou---clichy---

-walcott--fabregas--denilson-nasri--

van persie--arshavin

honestly, i prefer this. Not much aerial ability in the team but its quick and creative. Adebayor has been so poor this year maybe being dropped for a while isnt a bad thing. There is alot of competition for all the places really. Im really happy with the team and the squad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

To be honest I think Walcott deserves a starting berth when he returns from injury and to full fitness. He was our best if not one of our best performers before he got injured. Presuming/hoping he retains this form when he returns I think Wenger needs to find a way to accomadate Nasri, Walcott and Arshavin.

To me at least, the answer is simple. Although his situation may have changed when Theo returns I think Adebayor should be dropped due to his awful form. And Theo should be played up front. With Nasri and Andy on the wings. I think Theo and VP could form a very good partnership up front. Like someone said dropping Ade doesn't leave us with much of an aerial threat. However Ade would be on the bench to come on and add this if it was needed. This would also mean having 3 forwards not starting in Ade, Edu and Bendtner. Unfortunately for him Bendtner may not thus be guaranteed a place on the bench.

In some situations Walcott could even swap with Andy during a game. With Arshavin obviously dropping deeper in an central attacking mf role, just behind VP.

What think yee????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

True, I know I am one of the very few people I know that I don't really like Arsenal, most love them for their style of football. I probably shouldn't have put it in my 1st post in fairness.

You don't like Arsenal because the 'Pool have been sh1te for 20 years and Arsenal haven't. If I had to guess I'd say you were born around the time Michael Thomas scored that sweet, sweet goal........or maybe Smudgers in the first half...that he did score....no matter how much Hansen,Whelan and them other tinkers protested.

Either way your dislike of Arsenal just makes us stronger.

Dunno where Arshavin will fit in, next season is when the push needs to be made. Really doubt we'll get the best out of Arshavin this season.
    Then buy a decent strong CM in summer to partner Cesc

You don't like Arsenal because the 'Pool have been sh1te for 20 years and Arsenal haven't. If I had to guess I'd say you were born around the time Michael Thomas scored that sweet, sweet goal........or maybe Smudgers in the first half...that he did score....no matter how much Hansen,Whelan and them other tinkers protested.

Dude, he hasn't been rude or abrasive to us, so no need to do it to him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ade gets sold this year. Think Bentner might head off as well.

Actually I quite like Walcott, one of 2 players I can put up with on the Arsenal team.

I was born in 89, it has nothing to do with Arsenal being "better" than Liverpool. Its just general hatred it might have got a lot worse around 01 actually when we beat you in the FA Cup :p thanks to Micheal Owen and Ljungberg and Wenger came out saying the better team lost and general bitching, that was when they over took United as my most hated club, although I did hate them before that so I don't know.

Actually have respect for you Arsenal fans on here as if I posted this on any other team thread it would have been "Oh your a noob" "Your just jealous cause we beat you in 190splash" Fair play to ye.

Its just general hatred it might have got a lot worse around 01 actually when we beat you in the FA Cup :p thanks to Micheal Owen and Ljungberg and Wenger came out saying the better team lost and general bitching,.

But we were the better team by a mile on the day. Il never forget how many chances we missed that day.

Its just general hatred it might have got a lot worse around 01 actually when we beat you in the FA Cup :p thanks to Micheal Owen .

Is that the same FA Cup final that Liverpool cheated to win.:D

I seem to remember a great save at the post by Stefan Hancho in that game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

True that was such a game to throw away. A pool fan that hates Arsenal more than United isnt a Pool fan IMO.

jank wrote: »
    True that was such a game to throw away. A pool fan that hates Arsenal more than United isnt a Pool fan IMO.

Why? Why should I hate a team just cause everybody else does? I have my own opinions.

And yes Indie18 yes it would be that game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

The rivalry and history between the clubs. That's why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ah well, our players don't beat people up in nightclubs. :P

I was born in 89, it has nothing to do with Arsenal being "better" than Liverpool.

Actually have respect for you Arsenal fans on here as if I posted this on any other team thread it would have been "Oh your a noob" "Your just jealous cause we beat you in 190splash" Fair play to ye.

Heh.....knew it!!:D

Fair play back!!

Frisbee wrote: »
    Dude, he hasn't been rude or abrasive to us, so no need to do it to him.

It was a firmly tongue in cheek attack......

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Rosicky is very underrated. He's been better than Nasri has been for us, although Nasri obviously has plenty of time on his side. If Tomas can get fit consistently, he'd be a huge asset.

Man, I'd love for us to get Flamini back.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Just saw on the official site there. Fastest goal in Jan was Ade against Hull at half an hour!! Pretty mad..
    Show's how much me rely on getting late goals and on better second half perfomances.

Rosicky is very underrated. He's been better than Nasri has been for us, although Nasri obviously has plenty of time on his side. If Tomas can get fit consistently, he'd be a huge asset.

Underrated by who though? He's a class act...he just can't stay fit long enough! Dunno if I'd say he's been better for us than Nasri though:

Nasri: 22 games, 6 goals, 4 assists
    Rosicky: 61 games, 13 goals, 6 assists

Stats taken from wikipedia, so they may not be 100% accurate.

I know stats aren't everything though!
    Man, I'd love for us to get Flamini back.

So would I, but if we were going to pay for him then I'm sure Wenger could find better!

• Advertisement

Is Flamini even getting a game at Milan. I don't follow Italian football at all so I wouldn't know.

Indie18 wrote: »
    Is Flamini even getting a game at Milan. I don't follow Italian football at all so I wouldn't know.

No really.
    Gattuso is injured and he's still not even getting a game. I reckon they should give him back to us...

Indie18 wrote: »

21 (14+7) appearances so far out of 29...which isn't bad and looking at the rest of the team, he mightn't have as many starts, but pretty much the same amount of appearances as everybody else in the team!

I think he was silly to leave to be honest. he would be playing regular first team football this season if he had stayed. Now he has to make do with getting in when one or two players are out injured. Sure wasn't he having a moan a couple of seasons ago about nearly the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

How about bringing Senderous back?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement