Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Villa have a very tough run of games coming up, don't be suprised if they lose 2 or 3 games in the next month and a half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    Villa have a very tough run of games coming up, don't be suprised if they lose 2 or 3 games in the next month and a half

I know, but I wudn't be surprised if we did the same regardless of the fixtures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've a feeling we'll finish 2nd (to United), so there I said it.

Galvasean wrote: »

:eek: Really? Really really? Really really really? :eek:

I don't buy it, sure do up the BBC table predictor and see how you get on there and let me know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've a feeling galvasean is on drugs., so there I said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Villa's luck has to run out soon. I'm still hopeful of us finishing in the top 3. Defensively we look a lot more solid and once we get our creative players back we should start creating chances at least. Sticking them in the onion bag is a different story though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I predict Arsednal to score between 70 - 75 points. Rosicky, Eduardo and Fab to return so I would be hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

jank wrote: »
    Anybody think that it is Chelsea we are now chasing not Villa?

We still have to play Chelsea at home so that might be most important fixture.
    I think we're chasing both to be honest. But the important thing about that is that a couple of weeks ago, we only had Villa in our sights (though we also didn't have Everton on our tail quite so much :().

Points have certainly been dropped recently that we could have done with but 11 games unbeaten have put us in a situation where there are only 7 points between 3rd and 5th and 10 between 2nd and 5th. Chelsea play Villa, Arsenal and Spurs (all away) as well as being involved in the Champions League while Villa have to go to City, Utd and Liverpool (and play Chelsea and Everton at home, as well as their UEFA Cup involvement) so a top 4 finish for us is still very attainable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

keano_afc wrote: »
    Villa's luck has to run out soon. I'm still hopeful of us finishing in the top 3. Defensively we look a lot more solid and once we get our creative players back we should start creating chances at least. Sticking them in the onion bag is a different story though...

Yes we have had some luck in some games but seriously people (not singling you out) need to stop putting Villa's league position down to a lucky run. 25 league games are gone not 10, at this point if you are in a good position its cos you deserve it. We aren't 7 points ahead of Arsenal cos were Lucky (hell we got no luck with wigans several goal -line clearances recently) its cos of a combination of Arsenal being dissapointing and Villa being really good this season.

id still love to see Arsenal get a CL spot with Villa but am really getting sick of people saying Villa are lucky to be where they are after 2/3rds of the season and that that luck will run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

redout wrote: »
    I predict Arsednal to score between 70 - 75 points. Rosicky, Eduardo and Fab to return so I would be hopeful.

so basically you predict arsenal to win all their remaining 13 games

• Advertisement

I did the predictor

United win at a canter
    Chelsea nick second on goal difference
    Liverpool third
    Villa 4th
    Arsenal 6 points behind villa and ten ahead of Everton
    Everton

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Yes we have had some luck in some games but seriously people (not singling you out) need to stop putting Villa's league position down to a lucky run. 25 league games are gone not 10, at this point if you are in a good position its cos you deserve it. We aren't 7 points ahead of Arsenal cos were Lucky (hell we got no luck with wigans several goal -line clearances recently) its cos of a combination of Arsenal being dissapointing and Villa being really good this season.

id still love to see Arsenal get a CL spot with Villa but am really getting sick of people saying Villa are lucky to be where they are after 2/3rds of the season and that that luck will run out.

I'm a Gooner and I agree with BH that Villa are not lucky to be were they are. They've 3 great players in Ashley Young, Agbonglahor and Laursen and if they all stay fit I don't not see them slipping up that much.

Having said that with the return of Eduardo and the impending return of Walcott & Fab together with Arshavin I'm hoping that we can go on a sustained run of wins in the last quarter of the season and put the pressure on Chelski and The Villians.

I reckon Everton will fall away soon enough. The lack of cover will eventually catch up with them.

Roaster wrote: »
    I'm a Gooner and I agree with BH that Villa are not lucky to be were they are. They've 3 great players in Ashley Young, Agbonglahor and Laursen and if they all stay fit I don't not see them slipping up that much.

thanks although you do know that Laursen is out injured for up to around a month and a half more atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Iang87 wrote: »
    so basically you predict arsenal to win all their remaining 13 games

Where did you learn to count ?

thanks although you do know that Laursen is out injured for up to around a month and a half more atm

No I didn't. There's hope yet so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Yawn Yawn Yawn.

Was it luck that we beat you very comfortably at the Emirates. Or that we played you off the park at Villa. Or that Bouma, one of our best players has missed most of the season. That Carew has been injured for months, now Laursen.
    I'm not here to start a heated debate, but please don't put your performances this season down to us being lucky - the table doesn't lie and we have been a far better team than Arsenal this season - I fully understand your injuries have been unkind, but please do the right think and give some credit where it's due.

I don't think you're going to find many gooners agreeing with you. Especially in the ARSENAL thread.

If you don't think Villa have been lucky you are either blind, or know nothing about football.

It is being writen about quite regularly.

No I didn't. There's hope yet so.
    His absence hasn't affected Villa much so far though and he's been out for a month or so already.

I'd be more hopeful about the remaining run of fixtures they/Chelsea have (though obviously Arsenal have to be very consistent to take advantage) and the fact that Arsenal could have important players coming back fresh for the final weeks of the season (including those Liverpool, Utd and Chelsea games).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a little humility would be nice.

as mirwillbeback says, the table doesn't lie. it's not down to luck. you make your own through the effective football you play.

villa are the 3rd best team this season thus far. i used to be one of those who expected them to fall away. but 13 games to go and they're there by merit, and there's nothing to suggest they won't continue.

they're still outplaying teams...allardyce (who can be notorious for thinking his own teams have played better than they actually have) even said it was the first time his Blackburn side had been outplayed.

the UEFA Cup and FA Cup commitments could expose a squad that to many's eyes looks thin. But that wouldn't be down to 'luck'.

what logically makes you think Arsenal will overtake them? They're in no real consistent form at present, Eduardo can't be expected to create magic instantly after so long out. neither can walcott. Arshavin hasn't played since November. Adebayor out for a little bit.

arsenal are a quality team on form, and i'm no way saying they can't hit a run of form and get into a champions league spot, but they're not in that form. villa are. your comments may be from a place of optimism rather than lack of humility (i hope) but as i say, a little recognition might be in order rather than seemingly dismissing a team above you that, as i say, is on merit the 3rd best in team in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I don't think you're going to find many gooners agreeing with you. Especially in the ARSENAL thread.

If you don't think Villa have been lucky you are either blind, or know nothing about football.

sorry, i'm no villa fan, but you don't go on a run like they have been on due to luck alone.

if you think that you are either blind or know nothing about football.

• Advertisement

Everybody just cop on and stop littering this thread with yer childish tit for tat arguments!

Can both Arsenal and Villa fans not agree that, while Arsenal have been poor this season and maybe unlucky (as ever) with injuries, Villa have also been a bit lucky with some of their results (as you need to be, to sustain a good season), but they have also played some very good football and deserve to be higher up the table than Arsenal at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yawn Yawn Yawn.

Was it luck that we beat you very comfortably at the Emirates. Or that we played you off the park at Villa. Or that Bouma, one of our best players has missed most of the season. That Carew has been injured for months, now Laursen.
    I'm not here to start a heated debate, but please don't put your performances this season down to us being lucky - the table doesn't lie and we have been a far better team than Arsenal this season - I fully understand your injuries have been unkind, but please do the right think and give some credit where it's due.

True that.

Villa have maybe been lucky in a couple of games turning draws into wins but then they'd only be what? 2 points ahead of us?

No team I'd rather break the big four to be honest (let's just hope you do it at Chelsea's expense :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Brazil vs Italy friendly live from the Emirates Stadium is on RTE 2 this evening (19:30). Should be a cracking game. ko is at 19:45.

I've done a very crude comparison of Arsenal and Villas fixtures and, they actually don't have a much worse run-in than we do:
    Arsenal:
    		 P  Pt
    H Sunderland	 12 13
    H Fulham	 11 24
    A West Brom	 13 17
    H Blackburn	 11 10
    A Newcastle	 12 17
    H Man City	 11 7
    A Wigan		 13 22
    H Middlesbrough 13 8
    A Portsmouth 	 12 14
      PPG	       	 1.21

Aston Villa:
    		P  Pt
    A Man City 	 13 24
    H Tottenham 	 12 8
    H Everton 	 12 23
    H West Ham 	 12 14
    A Bolton 	 12 14
    H Hull		 13 17
    A Fulham 	 11 24
    A Middlesbrough 12 14
    H Newcastle 	 13 10
      PPG		1.35

Basically I left out the fixtures that were exactly the same and just added up how many points these teams have gotten from their home/away games and then got their ppg average! So, a difference of 0.14 ppg we should make up 1 point and finish only 6 behind Villa :D If only it was as easy to predict as that, but I don't think we have a hope of catching them, I might do the same for Chelsea later!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Next game is at home to Sunderland on the 21st. If we win that, we will either be only 4 points behind Villa or 2/3 points behind Chelsea.

We'll have Arshavin and Eduardo coming back into the team, and very possibly Walcott and Fabregas not long after that. We've tightened up defensively quite a bit recently too.

We've a team that is strongly dependent on confidence, and our next six league fixtures are: Sunderland (H), Fulham (H), West Brom (A), Blackburn (H), Newcastle (A), Man City (H).

A bit of faith/optimism might not go astray.

A bit of faith/optimism might not go astray.

I've run out this season!

Papa Smut wrote: »

There's optimism and then there is stupidty...

I'm not gong to come on here and lie that Villa have been lucky. They have experienced premiership performers in most positions and more power to them for being where they are.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they start losing soon to allow us to close the gap. I disagree with the point made about Eduardo's return. I think it will lift the whole squad when he scores his first goal and the return of Walcott and introduction of Arshavin will add much needed pace to our team, which to me is one of the main reasons we are not winning games. We do not counter-attack teams like we used to.

the return of Walcott and introduction of Arshavin will add much needed pace to our team, which to me is one of the main reasons we are not winning games. We do not counter-attack teams like we used to.
    Assuming you're talking about the Cole/Pires/Henry/Ljungberg days, we still won't be counter-attacking teams like we used to even with Walcott and Arshavin - while we obviously still counter-attack at times (eg Adebayor's goal v Liverpool in last year's CL), it's not really how Arsenal have set out to play for the last few years.

But yes, a bit of pace will certainly be welcome - it's sad to think that Eboue's been one of the few players driving forward in the last few weeks (though Nasri's been positive enough too at times).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Might be easier to win the Champions League to qualify next year, rather than catch Villa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

or overtake Chelsea.

Actually curious what result would arsenal fans most want when Villa play Chelsea in the next round of leagur games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Good to see Eduardo came off the bench for Croatis and set up the winner for Kranjcar. Hopefully he'll do a similar job for Arsenal come Monday night against Cardiff.

Actually curious what result would arsenal fans most want when Villa play Chelsea in the next round of leagur games?
    I suppose hedging our bets with a draw would be the best. Although either a loss for either side could produce big benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Very tough one, I still feel Villa will drop points even though they look good at the moment, I also feel with the likes of Walcott due bavck in the next couple of weeks, Arsenal will start to get wins again, I have felt all along that Chelsea will miss out on a cl spot, though not sure now, I think I will be hoping for a villa win.

yeah tbh i had no idea what Arsenal fans would prefer just that they play each other is a huge bonus to you guys if you can get a result at the same time.

• Advertisement

Eduardo played 30 minutes tonight for Croatia and got an assist. Great to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Villa win. Considering we are closer to Chelsea.

Just looking at the fixtures, we play United second last game of the season. By my prediction Utd will have the league won by that point. So there's a good chance of picking up 3 points there.

Villa win. Considering we are closer to Chelsea.

Just looking at the fixtures, we play United second last game of the season. By my prediction Utd will have the league won by that point. So there's a good chance of picking up 3 points there.

Ferguson won't send out a weakened team against Arsenal, no way

Draw please, we need both teams to drop as many points as possible for the rest of the season! Villa have a very tough run coming up, but if they do drop points, I'm not too confident that we can capitalise on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

if there's a cup final for them ahead he will almost certainly rest a few key players. those games are always heated, no manager would field a full strength team for it if they didn't have to.

• Advertisement

I still think we can win the league :D:D:D

jasonorr wrote: »
    Draw please
    Me too - I don't think it's clear-cut enough yet for us to want either team to pick up the full 3 points. Whereas a point apiece keeps everyone interested.

A Villa win makes it ever more likely that we'd be competing only with Chelsea for a CL spot and I'd rather be one of 3 teams going for 2 spots than one of 2 teams going for 1 (or 4 for 3 v 3 for 2 if you include Everton). In fact, from a perverse point of view, I'd almost rather a Chelsea win to a Villa win as we still get to play them and hopefully take points back.

But overall, draw please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I think a draw would be the best result, and I'd prefer to see a Villa win rather than a Chelsea one - the later any sort of Hiddink revival starts the better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah i reckon a draw to hedge our bets, and if not then a Villa win would be best as i don't think they're as vulnerable as Chelsea atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Arsenal will field a weakened team because we'll have the European Cup final a couple of weeks later......Plus.....it's only Man U..........:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Talk of a clear out at chelsea this summer with alot of players going for next to nothing.

Ballack would be my choice but his wages would have to come down. He could do a great job for us. Before anyone asks Essien is not leaving afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Talk of a clear out at chelsea this summer with alot of players going for next to nothing.

Ballack would be my choice but his wages would have to come down. He could do a great job for us. Before anyone asks Essien is not leaving afaik.

According to Soccer AM quite recently, Ballack has a clause in his contract that says he has to be paid in £ or € depending on the FX rate at the time, whichever is most favourable for him, his £120k a week is now costing Chelsea somewhere around £165k a week now...:eek:

Would have to drop quite a bit to match Arsenal's wage structure?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It would be but Arsenal can offer some things no other club can. The players would not have to move, they will be playing CL football (fingers crossed), they get to work under Wenger and get out of the circus that is Chelsea FC. They also get to play for the biggest club in London and while they wont be paid the massive amounts Chelsea gave them, they wont be poor either.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

For me i think John Obi Mikel would be a relatively cheap solution to our DM problems if chelsea do have a clearance sale in the summer! Think he has improved alot over the past two years and his presence would solve alot of problems for us imo. Decent in the air and can break up alot of play and would only to need to pass it ten yards or so to cesc and let him take it from there! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

John would be a great signing alright. Was reading an interview with Big Phil before he was sacked. He was saying that Malouda was a shadow of the player he was at Lyon. Interesting read. Ballack has far too much say at Chelsea imo. I like him for the national team but club wise I don't.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement