Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

DenMan wrote: »
    John would be a great signing alright. Was reading an interview with Big Phil before he was sacked. He was saying that Malouda was a shadow of the player he was a Lyon. Interesting read. Ballack has far too much say at Chelsea imo. I like him for the national team but club wise I don't.

I don't think Mikel would be involved in any kind of clearout at Chelsea.
    He's only 21 or 22 afaik so there'd be no reason to get rid of him except if he's not happy playing backup to CM at Chelski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Personally I'd say we won't get any Chelsea players if there is this rumored clearout (which I'd doubt).

Chelsea will be looking for cash and we'd be driving far too hard a bargain. Regardless of what they say about the desire to balance their books, they actually don't need to sell anyone and would never be pushed into selling a good player to a direct rival for less than they're worth.

Regardless, the only one I'd really like to take is Essien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Mikel's shown far better form in the last two years but I'm not sure he's quite enough of a 'footballer' for Wenger. I reckon the last thing he'll go for is someone who breaks up play and then passes it 5 yards to Fabregas as that just piles the pressure on Cesc more and makes us a one-man team.

Remember that Flamini (Cesc's best partner) would also pop up on the edge of the box while Cesc was back in the centre circle - I don't think Mikel's that mobile. (Again, Diarra would have been perfect :mad:)

Meanwhile, Bendtner seems to be intent on making more friends:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4927069,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

yahoo_moe wrote: »

Meanwhile, Bendtner seems to be intent on making more friends:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4927069,00.html

Wenger on his attacking options:
    “It’s not only [an opportunity] for Nicklas Bendtner. I believe he has had plenty of opportunities this year; if you look at the number of games he has started you will be surprised.”

If Bendtner had half the talent he believes he does, he would be some player.

I read also over the weekend that Yaya deal is supposed to be done for the summer for 13.5m. Give me Yaya over Mikel any day. I really don't see why all the fuss about Mikel, a very average player IMHO.

Roaster wrote: »
    I read also over the weekend that Yaya deal is supposed to be done for the summer for 13.5m. Give me Yaya over Mikel any day. I really don't see why all the fuss about Mikel, a very average player IMHO.

O rly?
    Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I will hate you forever if that is lies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Yaya's not too different from Mikel to be honest, just a bit more experienced. I can't see him having the dynamism to give Cesc the partner he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

That Yaya story was in the News of the World yesterday. Apparently the way they were talking its a done deal. After the Arshavin mess I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Obviously i would be of the same opinion there is probably 4/5 players out there that i would prefer to see us sign instead of Mikel, i was just purely talking from a point of view if we had a chance to snap up a chelsea player if they have a summer sale. Mikel would be the obvious choice for me regards price tag and wages compared to the other central midfielders at chelsea and i really do think he would do a decent job for us. A fully fit arsenal squad have plenty of good quality attacking players and dont think for one second that there would be too much pressure on the shoulders of Fabregas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I really don't see why all the fuss about Mikel, a very average player IMHO.

+1 personally i think average is being kind to him and he always gives the impression that he's not the most stable guy in the head , not really what Arsenal need we have enough of them already :D

keano_afc wrote: »
    That Yaya story was in the News of the World yesterday. Apparently the way they were talking its a done deal. After the Arshavin mess I'll believe it when I see it.

Generic NotW fabrication of a story when their having a slow week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Really looking forward to the Cardiff game tonight it feels like a while since I last watched Arsenal.
    I hope Eduardo can get about 30 mins, that cheer if he comes on should be something to behold

Eduardo Da Silva, Arsenals Number 9... can't wait

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the Cardiff game tonight it feels like a while since I last watched Arsenal.
    I hope Eduardo can get about 30 mins, that cheer if he comes on should be something to behold

Im training so not gonna get to see the match.
    Really hoping for extended highlights later at around 11 or so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Evil_Clown wrote: »

I'll be at the Sunderland game on Saturday, so I wouldn't mind if he didn't play tonight. Would be nice to be there to hear the cheer when he comes on.

Yaya's not too different from Mikel to be honest, just a bit more experienced. I can't see him having the dynamism to give Cesc the partner he needs.
    I'd agree - he's much more of a Gilberto mopper-upper type than a Flamini/Diarra/Mascherano type.

I also think a lot of people need to get over this idea that Cesc is an out-and-out attacking midfielder who should play at the point of a midfield diamond with an out-and-out defensive midfielder (a la Makalele) to balance him out (sorry, that one's just a pet hate of mine).

• Advertisement

I'll be at the Sunderland game on Saturday, so I wouldn't mind if he didn't play tonight. Would be nice to be there to hear the cheer when he comes on.
    To think that I thought I'd a slim chance of seeing the Eduardo recovery at the Wigan Carling Cup match back in November... :o

If it's Saturday, enjoy it - always wish I'd been there for Dennis Bergkamp day (the last day at Highbury) too, that would've been the ultimate.

I'd agree - he's much more of a Gilberto mopper-upper type than a Flamini/Diarra/Mascherano type.

I also think a lot of people need to get over this idea that Cesc is an out-and-out attacking midfielder who should play at the point of a midfield diamond with an out-and-out defensive midfielder (a la Makalele) to balance him out (sorry, that one's just a pet hate of mine).

Who's said Cesc should play at the top of a diamond midfield.
    Arsene tried that earlier in the season remember and it proved he's just not capable of playing there.
    Cesc needs to play in the center. But having a defense minded midfielder alongside him gives him more licence to roam and get into good positions

SSN; Red and White Holdings increase Arsenal Shareholding to more than 25 per cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Frisbee wrote: »
    Im training so not gonna get to see the match.
    Really hoping for extended highlights later at around 11 or so...

I'd say setanta are showing the whole game again later but itv4 have highlights on at 11

Who's said Cesc should play at the top of a diamond midfield.
    I'd rather not have to go dig out old posts, but people have proposed various Arsenal formations that involve Cesc in the Hleb role, or only operating in the opposition half, at different times. Plus I was talking about pundits, etc. too - basically anyone who forgets or ignores that Cesc often starts moves from deep as well. Relax - I said it was just a pet hate of mine.
    Cesc needs to play in the center. But having a defense minded midfielder alongside him gives him more licence to roam and get into good positions
    Defense-minded is fine - but can't be someone who just sits in front of the back four permanently sweeping without ever crossing the halfway line. Or who doesn't offer much as part of a passing, possession-holding game (ie the 'Mikel could get the ball and just pass it 5 yards to Cesc' thing that started this off).

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lads, we aren't going to sign Yaya Touré.

I'd prefer to get Flamini back anyhow.

I'd prefer to get Flamini back anyhow.

why would that even be a possibility though? never mind the wages he's on at Milan now, the relationship wasn't the best with the staff when he left.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's as much of a possibility as Yaya is tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd rather not have to go dig out old posts, but people have proposed various Arsenal formations that involve Cesc in the Hleb role, or only operating in the opposition half, at different times. Plus I was talking about pundits, etc. too - basically anyone who forgets or ignores that Cesc often starts moves from deep as well. Relax - I said it was just a pet hate of mine.

Defense-minded is fine - but can't be someone who just sits in front of the back four permanently sweeping without ever crossing the halfway line. Or who doesn't offer much as part of a passing, possession-holding game (ie the 'Mikel could get the ball and just pass it 5 yards to Cesc' thing that started this off).

I think a player that is capable of winning back possession and can actually get the ball to Cesc is what we need. So far we have had players like Song or Diaby who have been able to one or the other but ot both at the same time which is what we need.

I'd really relish the sight of Yaya at Arsenal as I think he is a player that would really settle and take off flying at the Arsenal whereas I don't think bringing Flamini back is an option because he won't be as good second time around. Players never are. Call it Murphy's law or irony or whatever you like but players returning to clubs very rarely are as good second time around.

In terms of Chelsea players that were being branded around earleir the only Chelsea player I would want at Arsenal is Essien. I would hate to see Mikel line out in an Arsenal jersey as he is someone I detest as a man as well as a player. I think he is having a decent season above what his standard is this season, and can see Chelsea capitilizing on that at the end of the season, especially with a new manager coming in.

In terms of Diarra I think he was given plenty of opportunity at Arsenal and didn't take them or prove himself. He is a good player but like above with Flamini I couldn't see him coming back and be successful.

My dream midfield would be Arshavin/Nasri on the left supported by Clichy, Walcott on the right covered by Song with Yaya and Cesc in the centre as a partnership not one ahead of the other as such. I think Ramsey, and Wilkshire have the potential to eventually challenge these postitions, but not just yet. If they progress as much as I hope they do then I wouldn't worry about selling Song, Diaby or any of the others that are just makeweights. (the reason I'd sell them is because I can't see them being satisified with a sub/reserve role)

In terms of strikers I'd love to see RVP playng just off Eduardo who I feel is more a "fox in the box" to use an old phrase. I wouldn't hesitate for a second in selling Bendtner to Torquay where I feel he might be more suited and be the regular starter he sees himself as.

I think your taking the whole pass it 10 yards to Cesc thing to heart, i merely stated it to emphasis the fact that Fabregas would have alot more freedom to create going foward for Arsenal with a good DM beside him.

I fully agree Flamini was by far Cesc's best partner to date at Arsenal and we have suffered in that position since he left. I suggested John Obi Mikel as a possible target purely because of the post made regarding a chelsea clearout and for me he would be the most likely player that we could get chelsea to sell to us. Under Wenger i think he would develop further and become alot more mobile and have more influence during a game in the oppositions half.

Obviously in a perfect world Essien would be my first choice player to buy from chelsea!

I just dont believe Fabregas would be under more pressure with that type of DM alongside him!

Anyway 3-1 tonight hopefully and great to see Eduardo back!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Welcome back Eduardo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Fantastic win tonight boys. Well done, and well done Eduardo.

Now to matters off the field. Red and White Holdings Limited have increased their shares at Arsenal to just over 25%. Only 5% more and they can launch a takeover bid for the club.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4929069,00.html

itsjaybud wrote: »
    I think your taking the whole pass it 10 yards to Cesc thing to heart, i merely stated it to emphasis the fact that Fabregas would have alot more freedom to create going foward for Arsenal with a good DM beside him.
    Sorry, wasn't having a go - again, that was just what started me off. As I said, it's just a pet hate.

But, more importantly...
    great to see Eduardo back!:)
    :):):)

Enjoyable game and a very positive step for various reasons.(Not least as the first appearance of that future Arsenal stalwart - Amaury Bischoff:p)

Hopefully we can kick on and get an equally impressive victory against Sunderland on the weekend - Turn the corner and all that.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Hopefully we can kick on and get an equally impressive victory against Sunderland on the weekend - Turn the corner and all that.
    That's a good point actually - the feelgood factor from tonight could* be huge.

* I really hope this doesn't come back to bite me on the arse.

Im not trying to defend Bendtner or anything and i do think he should be playing for the likes of Stoke City but he has scored some very important goals for us this season and ive celebrated every one of them! Im willing to put up with him whenever he plays for the remainder of the season. I think its my strong dislike for eboue of late that makes me look past how much of a gaylord bendtner is!

Back to the positive stuff;

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4929782,00.html

Great football tonight and hopefully the team can gather some momentum, looking foward to sunderland game at the weekend, thankfully we're live on setanta again!

more of the same please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Enjoyable game and a very positive step for various reasons.(Not least as the first appearance of that future Arsenal stalwart - Amaury Bischoff:p)

I'm pretty sure Bischoff has played in at least one CC game this season. From what little I saw of him tonight he looked pretty good although TBH that game looked like a training routine.

RvP is playing the best football of his life. Eduardo is back and banging in goals. Bendtner played pretty well overall. Another very promising performance by Vela....
    Adebay-who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

great to see eduardo back. not only is he a quality striker but seems like a nice guy to boot. i reckon he could play a key role in the rest of arsenal's season, so much so, that i would play him above him above that wanker bendtner and adebayor who has totally gone to s*ite the last few months.

theo, cesc and arshy will all be featuring soon- bring it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Watched the Game lastnight, would have watched it in any case, but it was mainly in the hope of seeing Eduardo making his comeback.

I was thinking he would mainly get brought on for the last 20 or so, so was delighted to see him start.

I have always admired this guy, and back before his injury i described him as the most talented natural finisher i have ever seen. After such a big injury you worry about how much of an impact it has on a guy. Wenger himself has came out and said he was worried, Eduardo never lost faith though, and it was great to see him getting stuck in, risking injury - where you feel in the back of his mind it would take 10-20% away from his game.

I am not an Arsenal fan, but i was delighted to see him back, and what a bonus to see him getting those 2 goals. I am hoping now that he can get fully fit and help Arsenal for the remainder of the season.

I believe he can fire them to a top 4 position, Arsenal are in a muc better position now, if he can get fully fit and stay that way. If Arshavin can deliver when he is unveiled i think Arsenal will overcome the challenges Villa and Everton are throwing down.

I think Arsenal as a club, and especially Wenger as a manager deserve it.

let's not too much pressure on Eduardo already... i really only see Wenger using him sparingly for the remainder of the season until he gets a full preseason behind his belt, when they can finally fully evaluate his recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm telling you all, we will finish 2nd yet!:p

With Eduardo back, Arshavin in and Cesc back soon things are looking up.

On Adebayor, I've been thinking his injury is a blessing in disguise. He has done sweet nothing for ages now. Even in the game against Hull whwere he scored a goal, he did F all. In fact it was the only useful thing he did. Now without him taking up space in the first team there's more room to give Bendtner (say what you like about him but he is a lot more commited to the cause -or at least his own cause of bettering himself - than Adebayor) and Vela first team chances. Not to mention give Eduardo more game time to rstore his fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I personally can't wait to see Arsenal back to full strength with RVP, Eduardo, Arshavin, Fabregas et al, I think they could once again be a joy to behold...

let's not too much pressure on Eduardo already... i really only see Wenger using him sparingly for the remainder of the season until he gets a full preseason behind his belt, when they can finally fully evaluate his recovery.

Obviously we don't want to put too much pressure on him but unfortunately we've only got three months left in a season that's teetering on the brink and we need Eduardo playing.

We've a load of strikers at the moment but the only two I would be truly happy about seeing in the starting line for tough games are Eduardo and Van Persie.

I think he'll start all the tough games and all the CL games.

Sell Ade in the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Obviously we don't want to put too much pressure on him but unfortunately we've only got three months left in a season that's teetering on the brink and we need Eduardo playing.

We've a load of strikers at the moment but the only two I would be truly happy about seeing in the starting line for tough games are Eduardo and Van Persie.

I think he'll start all the tough games and all the CL games.

Sell Ade in the summer?

Before he got injured Eduardo was still only working his way in to the first team, no?
    I think his injury has elevated him to some kind of demi-god position by Arsenal fans.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I personally can't wait to see Arsenal back to full strength with RVP, Eduardo, Arshavin, Fabregas et al, I think they could once again be a joy to behold...

So what's your front six?

Walcott - Song - Fab - Nasri
    RVP - Eduardo

Can't wait to see how Arshavin settles in and where exactly he's used. Though the three month settling in period takes us up to the summer so we probably won't see the best from him until next year.

JPA wrote: »
    I think his injury has elevated him to some kind of demi-god position by Arsenal fans.

+1
    I think he is a fantastic player and a very clinical finisher.
    But I think alot of expectations are being put on him and Arshavin to save our season.
    While them and the return of Fab and Walcott can hopefully give us that extra cutting edge, I dont think it will be until next season that we see Eduardo and Arshavin at their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Don't think anybody spotted this:
    Eduardo, who came off with a slight hamstring strain midway through the second half, is set to feature heavily in Wenger's plans in the run-in.

Link.
    Wenger wrote:
    I still have to be cautious with him and I cannot throw him in every three days after nine months. We will see how he responds to that hamstring and maybe he can be with us on Saturday, I don’t know.

Link.

Hopefully it's nothing to serious as he looked great yesterday, but I cringe every time I hear the word hamstring!

JPA wrote: »
    Before he got injured Eduardo was still only working his way in to the first team, no?

No, 23 starts and 14 goals and he had just settled in before he got injured. Was playing some great football and finishing really well.

He's more important now that Ade has become muck but that's all.

No, 23 starts and 14 goals and he had just settled in before he got injured. Was playing some great football and finishing really well.

He's more important now that Ade has become muck but that's all.

Don't forget 8 assists ;)

Ade has always been muck!

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    Ade has always been muck!

Not Ade's biggest fan but he's not muck considering he scored 30+ goals last season.
    I know anyone could score a barrelful of goals in the Arsenal team of last year, but Ade does alot off the ball and wins alot of headers.
    Ade and Eduardo is a good partnership.
    Ade for flick on's and Eddy for the goals.
    Obviously Eduardo easily interchangeable with RVP (who you'd have to be mad to leave out on his current form)

If we were gonne sell Ade it should have been last summer when there was big money on the table for him, we won't get those kind of offers again unless Citeh make a bid.

Not Ade's biggest fan but he's not muck considering he scored 30+ goals last season.
    I know anyone could score a barrelful of goals in the Arsenal team of last year, but Ade does alot off the ball and wins alot of headers.
    Ade and Eduardo is a good partnership.
    Ade for flick on's and Eddy for the goals.
    Obviously Eduardo easily interchangeable with RVP (who you'd have to be mad to leave out on his current form)

If we were gonne sell Ade it should have been last summer when there was big money on the table for him, we won't get those kind of offers again unless Citeh make a bid.

The strongest area of his game is as a target man, but I just think his finishing, laziness and inability to stay onside make it very hard to say anything positive about him! Yes, he scored a lot of goals last season, but as you said, a lot have players would have in that team last year!

The strongest area of his game is as a target man, but I just think his finishing, laziness and inability to stay onside make it very hard to say anything positive about him! Yes, he scored a lot of goals last season, but as you said, a lot have players would have in that team last year!

I wouldnt call him lazy.
    How often have we seen him dropping deep to try and start something this season because he wasn't getting any ball.
    I agree with the other two.
    He's no Flamini, but I wouldnt call him lazy

I wouldnt call him lazy.
    How often have we seen him dropping deep to try and start something this season because he wasn't getting any ball.
    I agree with the other two.
    He's no Flamini, but I wouldnt call him lazy

He's not always lazy, but he doesn't try hard enough often enough!

He's not always lazy, but he doesn't try hard enough often enough!

youve hit the nail on the head there. Anyone, do we have 2 nicklas bendtner's as he has really impressed me lately? i think we've found his ideal position. he seems to be dropping back ever so slightly behind striker and even slightly wide at times. sensational last night. i would prefer a bendtner that misses guilt edged chances then the old bendtner who's involvement in games were very sporadic to say the least.

as for Eduardo, well what can i say, the boys a gem! can develop into a better and more clinical player then henry imo and very honest trier.

ade seems to be resting on his laurels these times. it feels like the last days of henry looking at him. not showing the fight and desire he used to.

Nevermind the futures bright! Gunners abu!! Our finest performance in a long time!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement