Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

as for Eduardo, well what can i say, the boys a gem! can develop into a better and more clinical player then henry imo and very honest trier.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.
    People getting carried away and hyping Eduardo up like that.

Frisbee wrote: »
    This is exactly what I'm talking about.
    People getting carried away and hyping Eduardo up like that.

says he with the extravagant wish list in his signature.:rolleyes: im not just hyping him up for the sake of it, i believe had this boy not got injured at a critical part of last season he could have made a fierce difference to us as he was scoring goals out of nothing. it is my honest opinion and he can get better

says he with the extravagant wish list in his signature.:rolleyes: im not just hyping him up for the sake of it, i believe had this boy not got injured at a critical part of last season he could have made a fierce difference to us as he was scoring goals out of nothing. it is my honest opinion and he can get better

Wish List.
    I know it won't happen see? That's why its a 'wish list' and not a 'gonna happen list'

Comparing Eduardo to Henry is laughable

Wish List.
    I know it won't happen see? That's why its a 'wish list' and not a 'gonna happen list'

Comparing Eduardo to Henry is laughable

your hyping up vela yourself i see though. great player he is but hes just a kid.

your hyping up vela yourself i see though. great player he is but hes just a kid.

I'm hyping him up to be a great player. Which he will.
    I'm not saying he'll have a bigger impact at Arsenal than Henry.
    Chances are he'll be playing in La Liga within 3-4 years anyway.

Arsenal And Barcelona To Contest Glamour Charity Fixture

A pre-season charity game between Premier League heavyweights Arsenal and Primera Division giants Barcelona could be pencilled in for June 13 in Strasbourg, if reports surfacing today are to believed.

The Alsace club's general director Jean-Luc Herzog is quoted by DNA as saying that a verbal agreement has been struck with the two clubs, as well as UNICEF, with the intention of holding the fixture in the summer.

There is yet to be written confirmation, but Herzog explained: "We have given our agreement in principle, but it’s just the preliminaries.

"At this hour, there’s no written confirmation."

The tie would no doubt throw up many conversational points including much-loved Arsenal son Thierry Henry playing against his former club.

It would also give the Gunners a chance to remedy the painful overturning of their 1-0 Champions League final lead in Paris in 2006, when the Catalan club scored twice in the final quarter of an hour to snatch the trophy.

And it would also be a particularly sentimental occassion for Arsene Wenger who is an Alsatian himself, and was once coach of the club's youth academy.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/755/euro...harity-fixture

*drools*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Arsene Wenger who is an Alsatian himself....

Never saw Wenger as a guard dog myself :P

The match sounds a bit tasty but we could meet them in the CL final before then.

*Dreams*

Never saw Wenger as a guard dog myself :P

The match sounds a bit tasty but we could meet them in the CL final before then.

*Dreams*

Aye but I could appreciate the match as a spectacle if it was just a friendly.
    Whereas if we meet in the CL I'll be on the edge of me seat the whole time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

June 13 sounds very early to me. The season would have only finished a few weeks before that and I am sure that both England and Spain may be taking part in some overseas tournamant, eg US cup etc. OP sure it is not Aug 13? Thanks for the info anyway. Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Aye but I could appreciate the match as a spectacle if it was just a friendly.
    Whereas if we meet in the CL I'll be on the edge of me seat the whole time...

Yeah, thats a good point alright!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I would pay large amounts of your european currency to see:

Sagna - Gallas - Djourou(Toure) - Clichy

Denilson(Song/Toure)
    Arshavin(Vela) - Fabregas(Nasri) - Nasri(Vela)

Van Persie - Eduardo(Adebayor)

and slightly less is Bendtner is in any way involved.....

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

GuanYin wrote: »

Denilson(Song/Toure)

Van Persie - Eduardo(Anyone else)

and slightly less is Bendtner & Adebayor are in any way involved.....

just a little alteration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Denilson(Song/Toure)

and slightly less is Bendtner is in any way involved.....

Walcott and Rociscky to come back aswell, its going to make for some interesting selection decisions, maybe Arsene should seek advice off Rafa - he seems to nail it everytime ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

i know alot of ppl here think miguel veloso wuld be the ideal solution to our dm problems so just thought in case ppl hadnt seen that he no longer gets his game for sporting as a holding midfielder, is playing as a makeshift left back while the regular guy is out injured but has loast his place as holding midfielder.....means i guess we could defo get him cheap in summer but also mayb hes not as good as was thoguht?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

To be honest I've never seen Veloso play but I had heard he'd been cast down the pecking order alright. Perhaps Frisbee can shed some light on this? Or has it been mentioned in Fantasy Manager yet? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Wenger insists United are in a league of their own!

By Conrad Leach
    Wednesday February 18 2009

Arsene Wenger has conceded for the first time that Arsenal have no hope of winning the Premier League this season, as he declared the current league leaders Manchester United untouchable.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/wenger-insists-fergusonrsquos-men-are-in-a-league-of-their-own-1643219.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

People arguing whose better, Vela or Eduardo?
    Music to my ears :)

edit: as for those saying they want Bendtner out and hang on to Adebayor, I'm sorry but I simply can't agree. If you compare minuteson the pitch Bendtner has done more from us than Ade this season. Sure he missed a sitter against Cardiff but how many sitters has Adebayor missed recently? Nearly one per game I'll tell you. As a prospect Bendtner is improving and will surpass Adebayor's level of ability very soon (if it hasn't already hapened), while Ade is a player in decline who doesn't look motivated enough to warrant a first team place.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

jasonorr wrote: »
    Compared to us they are!

To say the least, its fair to stay at this stage you would have to look at a team outside of England to stop them i.e. Barca:o

• Advertisement

Compared to us they are!

Well its to be expected considering the money they have spent. Nearly £40 million on Nani and Anderson and they dont even play in the first team. Any team would be up there if they could splash that sort of money on benchwarmers.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Well its to be expected considering the money they have spent. Nearly £40 million on Nani and Anderson and they dont even play in the first team. Any team would be up there if they could splash that sort of money on benchwarmers.

It must be so hard for them to be reaping in the profits of their own success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think it's more the willingness to spend big on English players like Rooney, Fwrdinand, Carrick that has them stationed at the top.

I've often said that Utd aren't really overpaying for players like this, it's just that they can afford to have a 20-30 million transfer not work out.

Once an English player of that quality joins a top four club, the fact is that they'll never move again as long as they can make the first team. The only example against this I can think of is Ashley Cole.

We on the other hand have Flamini and Hleb moving away and have to face the fact that someday Fabregas will go. Utd have to face the fact that Ronaldo will go but the core of their team is made of players that don't want to leave England and obviously don't want to move to another English club while they're challenging with Utd.

gosplan wrote: »
    I think it's more the willingness to spend big on English players like Rooney, Ferdinand, Carrick that has them stationed at the top.

Once an English player of that quality joins a top four club, the fact is that they'll never move again as long as they can make the first team. The only example against this I can think of is Ashley Cole.

It's something I never used to place much value on, but you're right foreign players (generally) won't stay forever, especially if they are bought at a young age. The only thing about Cole is that he was a youth player at Arsenal and so it's not quite the same as buying a top English player and him moving on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Well lads going off point here, but can anyone help a fellow gunner get a ticket for the Arsenal v Fulham game??

Please!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's something I never used to place much value on, but you're right foreign players (generally) won't stay forever, especially if they are bought at a young age. The only thing about Cole is that he was a youth player at Arsenal and so it's not quite the same as buying a top English player and him moving on!

Arsenal seem to have got the best years of out their recent foreign players though. Henry, Vieira, Pires etc. They even got Bergkamp's latter career. There's not many players that have actually left Arsenal and gone on to become even better players. Fabregas could be one of them though, considering the age at which he will probably leave Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Arsenal seem to have got the best years of out their recent foreign players though. Henry, Vieira, Pires etc. They even got Bergkamp's latter career. There's not many players that have actually left Arsenal and gone on to become even better players. Fabregas could be one of them though, considering the age at which he will probably leave Arsenal.

While this is predominantly true, we are severely lacking in experience something which wouldn't go astray at the moment.

Also, you mention Henry...you don't think he could still be useful to us?

Henry: Played 28, Scored 15, 7 assists.
    van Persie: Played 29, Scored 14, 10 assists.
    Adebayor: Played 24, Scored 12, 8 assists.
    Bendtner: Played 28, Scored 9, 3 assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm not saying those players still couldn't be useful, I'd have all 3 still in the current squad (they'd be useful to have, but not like they were 4-5 years ago). Just that they were past their best by the time they left Arsenal, and the problem is they weren't properly replaced.

I'm not saying those players still couldn't be useful, I'd have all 3 still in the current squad (they'd be useful to have, but not like they were 4-5 years ago). Just that they were past their best by the time they left Arsenal, and the problem is they weren't properly replaced.

I'll agree they were past their best and not replaced, but who of the current squad has won anything with Wenger? We need a fair share of players like this too!

Players we currently have who won a tropy with Wenger in 05:
    Almunia - Played mainly cup games, can't find a number
    Clichy - 24 apps
    Djourou - 3 apps
    Eboue - 4 apps
    Fabregas - 46 apps
    Senderos - Got a run because Campbell was injured, can't find a number
    Toure - 50 apps
    van Persie - 41 apps

Great...

To be honest I've never seen Veloso play but I had heard he'd been cast down the pecking order alright. Perhaps Frisbee can shed some light on this? Or has it been mentioned in Fantasy Manager yet? ;)

It's diappointing because I was looking forward to seeing him play in the Champions League over the next few weeks.
    He won't do a decent job as a LB, no way

Gibbs looks an excellent prospect at LB. In all the games I ahve seen him play he has looked very tidy and consistent, never making costly errors.
    Also, Armand Traore has been playing well for Pompey. I wonder will we bring him back or has he been completely usurped as Clichy's understudy (by Gibbs)? That said Traore has played a few times on the left wing for Pompey so he is showing his versatility. not to mention Gibbs started his Arsenal career playing left midfield.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Gibbs looks an excellent prospect at LB. In all the games I ahve seen him play he has looked very tidy and consistent, never making costly errors.
    Also, Armand Traore has been playing well for Pompey. I wonder will we bring him back or has he been completely usurped as Clichy's understudy (by Gibbs)? That said Traore has played a few times on the left wing for Pompey so he is showing his versatility. not to mention Gibbs started his Arsenal career playing left midfield.

I really hope we bring Traore back, I really rate him, although I cant see him overtaking Clichy any time in the future as our first choice LB so fair enough if he wants to leave for first team football.
    I reckon Pompey will try hold onto him as Belhadj is only on loan aswell, Hreidersson cant be far off retirement and Pamarot has lost it lately...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Traore has been playing mainly as a left winger for Pompey, though I'm not convinced that is his natural position. Pedro Botelho could be with us next year, and he is a similar sort of left winger-cum-fullback. However considering how lavishly we're covered with quality in the wide positions now, I don't think the left wing is a goer for any of the three. So Wenger has some tough decisions to make with regards the LB slot.... tough in the best possible way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I have a feeling this could be Cesc's last season.

I really wish we had kept Thierry, Paddy and Bobby. They were the heart and soul of the team for 5 years, the type of players that good young players would dream of playing with, and 3 players who would have happily spent the rest of their days with us. They would still be up to the required level, and I do not buy into the notion that Wenger let them go at the right time.

I have a confession to make; I am not happy with Wenger and the direction he has taken this club in the last 5 years. We're going backwards in all fairness. And as for the old line "Arséne knows"- I have to ask, does he really?? Why did he go all out for Arshavin when its as clear as day that what we need is a defensive midfielder to replace the (bizzarely) unreplaced Gilberto and Flamini? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have Arshavin, but I can't see how we needed him.

There will be problems soon- we will have Walcott, Rosicky, Nasri, Eduardo, van Persie, Vela, Arshavin, Adebayor, Bendtner, and Eboue vying for 2 winger and 2 forward positions. 3 or 4 of those will leave in the forseeable future because because thats too many players for those positions whereas we are actually relatively short in defense and defensive midfielders!

As for the Traoré/Gibbs discussion ongoing at the moment, I've a feelinf that Traoré will probably be let go this summer. He'll be getting used to first team football at Pompey and if they remain in the Premier League they will in all likelyhood try to do a deal for him (by dangling the carrot of first team footy in his face). Keiran Gibbs would be a good understudy for Clichy and he has one advantage; he's English. We need more English players who've come up through the academy, the type of player who will actually be loyal to the club and be willing to spend his whole career with the club. (As long as they don't become overcome with greed like Cashley)

Question; If we had all our players fit again, what would you consider to be our first choice midfield??

jordainius wrote: »
    I have a feeling this could be Cesc's last season.

Cesc will not leave this summer. Barca dont need to replace Xavi yet.
    There will be problems soon- we will have Walcott, Rosicky, Nasri, Eduardo, van Persie, Vela, Arshavin, Adebayor, Bendtner, and Eboue vying for 2 winger and 2 forward positions. 3 or 4 of those will leave in the forseeable future because because thats too many players for those positions whereas we are actually relatively short in defense and defensive midfielders!

Eboue doesnt figure in that bracket for me. He's nothing more than injury cover.
    LW - Nasri/Vela/Rosicknote
    RW - Walcott, Arshavin
    ST - Ade, RVP, Bendtner, Vela.

Expect Rosicky to be gone after next season myself.
    Same with Ade most likely.
    And Vela to be playing in La Liga within 4 years.

Question; If we had all our players fit again, what would you consider to be our first choice midfield??

Walcott
    Song----Cesc
    Nasri

So Villa draw 1-1 with CSKA

Decent enough result for us.
    Enough for Martin O'Neill to keep one eye on it and send out a strong enough squad for the away leg.
    Hopefully a few tired legs and little knocks fall the right way for us and we can catch up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So Villa draw 1-1 with CSKA

Decent enough result for us.
    Enough for Martin O'Neill to keep one eye on it and send out a strong enough squad for the away leg.
    Hopefully a few tired legs and little knocks fall the right way for us and we can catch up.

Surely a Villa win would have been better for you, even if it meant Villa resting a player or two in the next leg, id think you will want Villa playing as many games in europe as possible what with Arsenal having atleast 2 more in the Champions league and the FA cup to play in.

Surely a Villa win would have been better for you, even if it meant Villa resting a player or two in the next leg, id think you will want Villa playing as many games in europe as possible what with Arsenal having atleast 2 more in the Champions league and the FA cup to play in.

A 2-1 win would have been the only option I would have preferred really, as it meant O'Neill would have really had to go for it while CSKA had the advantage of an away goal.

I'm happy enough anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Denilson(Song/Toure)

Frisbee, this is the kind of thing I was talking about the other day by the way...

On a separate note, while Eduardo and Van Persie might be considered our two best strikers individually, do people think they're a viable partnership? I can't really decide (Van Persie is a pretty decent ball-winner and protector) but I certainly would have considered them alternatives before rather than a combination...

At home, I don't see why not.

And as for the old line "Arséne knows"- I have to ask, does he really?? Why did he go all out for Arshavin when its as clear as day that what we need is a defensive midfielder to replace the (bizzarely) unreplaced Gilberto and Flamini? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have Arshavin, but I can't see how we needed him.
    Because replacing Hleb was more important than replacing Flamini, imo.

• Advertisement

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    On a separate note, while Eduardo and Van Persie might be considered our two best strikers individually, do people think they're a viable partnership?

Hard to say. I guess there's only one way to find out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Barca linked with a £20M move for Adebayor.

Arsenal linked with a move for Huntelaar.

Mgoraf wrote: »

Sell, sell, sell!

Mgoraf wrote: »

Arsenal linked with a move for Huntelaar.

Oh that would be just delightful!! A dream swap if ever there was one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can somebody explain to me why people rate Adebayor? He's uuuuuuuseless...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

I would love to be rid of Adebayor, he is nothing but dead weight at the club.

keane2097 wrote: »

Because he's a decent target man and he scored a shít load of goals last year, but I don't really rate him myself!

keane2097 wrote: »

Because he got about 30 goals last season, although TBH if Fernando Torres had been in his position he would have got 50.

If a £20million offer came in for Adebayor I'd grab with both hands.
    Why are we being linked with Huntelaar, are things not going well for him at Madrid? Not that I'd expect to sign him. Even with selling Adebayor we have enough strikers. Bringing in Huntelaar would be a very negative message to Vela, Bendtner and Simpson.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Because he got about 30 goals last season, although TBH if Fernando Torres had been in his position he would have got 50.

If a £20million offer came in for Adebayor I'd grab with both hands.
    Why are we being linked with Huntelaar, are things not going well for him at Madrid? Not that I'd expect to sign him. Even with selling Adebayor we have enough strikers. Bringing in Huntelaar would be a very negative message to Vela, Bendtner and Simpson.

Just to Bendtner really!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Adebayor for Yaya Toure and Busquets!!

We'll even throw in an Eboue to sweeten the deal. :D:D

In all seriousness though, I would take 20 million for him provided we buy a defensive midfielder for the said 20 million. If that were to happen and Gallas also stayed, I can't see us needing more players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement