Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its a bit frustrating how close we are to having a settled, balanced team. We really only need 2 players, and if Gallas does stay we probably only need a decent defensive midfielder. I still maintain Song will never be good enough to fill that role full time. He's ok to provide cover but he's not first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

In slightly better news Baratzite got his first goal for Derby and Lansbury is off to Wembley!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/loan-watch-barazite-bags-first-senior-goal

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Well F**k it anyway

+1 :mad: a hamstring injury is so disappointing after his superb return.

Decent enough Samir Nasri article to read for those of you that have not yet seen it!
    Like Cantona and Zidane before him, Nasri learnt his trade the old fashioned way in Marseilles. Now Arsenal are benefitting from the blossoming skills of France’s latest midfield prodigy, writes Sam Wallace

“I don’t think it is a central midfielder that Arsenal have been lacking. What we have really been missing is the injured players and when they come back you’ll see a different face to this Arsenal team.”

As for Gallas himself, Nasri will admit that there was a difference of opinions in the summer but claims that they have been able to put it behind them. “We had words at the Euros but it was during a training session and immediately forgotten,” he says.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/samir-nasri-gunners-midfielder-is-streets-ahead-1625716.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Evil_Clown wrote: »

Usually happens after such a lengthy lay off though.

Two weeks isn't so bad but it's a pity as he would have been useful against Roma.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its a bit frustrating how close we are to having a settled, balanced team. We really only need 2 players, and if Gallas does stay we probably only need a decent defensive midfielder. I still maintain Song will never be good enough to fill that role full time. He's ok to provide cover but he's not first choice.

Yeah this bugs me too but it's not the source of all our problems.

I've been surprised how well Man U have done in the last two years because IMO (and I don't want to start a row with any Mancs tuning in) they don't have a decent defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i know this is a little ot, but this is the most relavent thread....

i had a dream about Eduardo last night :)

i wish he played for Liverpool, i think he really will be a great great player if he can stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ugh, Bendtner up front and Eboue on the wing for the Roma game. Worrying. What if Van Persie or Nasri pick up a knock this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Galvasean wrote: »
    Bringing in Huntelaar would be a very negative message to Vela, Bendtner and Simpson.

+1
    jasonorr wrote: »
    Just to Bendtner really!

No. Bendtner gets more game time than Vela and Simpson before we went on loan. So it would put Vela and Simpson further down the pecking order again.
    gosplan wrote: »
    I've been surprised how well Man U have done in the last two years because IMO (and I don't want to start a row with any Mancs tuning in) they don't have a decent defensive midfielder.

Owen Hargreaves.
    Carrick wil ldo you a job there and Fletcher has improved immensely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    No. Bendtner gets more game time than Vela and Simpson before we went on loan. So it would put Vela and Simpson further down the pecking order again.

I don't think Huntelaar would be direct competition for Vela and simpson, that's all!

• Advertisement

I don't think Huntelaar would be direct competition for Vela and simpson, that's all!

Yes but Adebayors not direct competition for Vela and Simpson and he still plays ahead of them.
    He'd still be higher up than them in the pecking order meaning they'd get less game time

Plus we won't be signing Huntelaar so the arguments void really..

Owen Hargreaves.
    Carrick wil ldo you a job there and Fletcher has improved immensely

When he's played but that hasn't been very often.

Carrick isn't really a tackler and Fletcher isn't too good really.

My point is that DMF is a very important position but it's not everything and we can't just blame the poor performances on not having a Essien/Flamini/Mascherano because we're not the only ones.

When he's played but that hasn't been very often.

Carrick isn't really a tackler and Fletcher isn't too good really.

My point is that DMF is a very important position but it's not everything and we can't just blame the poor performances on not having a Essien/Flamini/Mascherano because we're not the only ones.

Essein is one of the best central midfielders in the world.
    He'd be wasted playing in a holding role

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd hate it if we replaced Adebayor with Huntelaar. Adebayor may only run when he's arsed, but Huntelaar can't run. He's basically a big lump who can finish. We've already got our big lump in Bendtner and we've got our finisher in Eduardo. No thanks to Huntelaar.

If we can start with the trio of van Persie, Vela and Nasri supporting Bendtner against Roma, I think we'll do OK. It'll be a tough tie.

Hopefully the rumours that Theo's return is imminent are true...

Essein is one of the best central midfielders in the world.
    He'd be wasted playing in a holding role

You're over-theorising and confusing me a bit.

I mean defensive midfielder as in he's someone who can tackle and break up play very well - like Flamini for us last year, still got forward to the edge of the box a lot but was very combative and gave us that bite in midfield.

You're over-theorising and confusing me a bit.

I mean defensive midfielder as in he's someone who can tackle and break up play very well - like Flamini for us last year, still got forward to the edge of the box a lot but was very combative and gave us that bite in midfield.

My bad

My bad

Or mine, I'm easily confused :D

So it looks like the whole fourth place thing hinges on the next six or seven games. I'd imagine that by the end of these we'd have to be a few points ahead of Villa as they have a much easier run in than us.

This is it, we either go on a run of victories now or we say goodbye to CL football next year.

Arsenal Sunderland
    Arsenal - Fulham
    West Brom - Arsenal
    Arsenal - Blackburn
    Newcastle - Arsenal
    Arsenal - Man City
    Wigan - Arsenal

Villa - Chelsea
    Villa - Stoke
    Man City - Villa
    Villa - Tottenham
    Liverpool - Villa
    Man Utd - Villa
    Villa - Everton

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So it looks like the whole fourth place thing hinges on the next six or seven games. I'd imagine that by the end of these we'd have to be a few points ahead of Villa as they have a much easier run in than us.

This is it, we either go on a run of victories now or we say goodbye to CL football next year.

Arsenal Sunderland
    Arsenal - Fulham
    West Brom - Arsenal
    Arsenal - Blackburn
    Newcastle - Arsenal
    Arsenal - Man City
    Wigan - Arsenal

Villa - Chelsea
    Villa - Stoke
    Man City - Villa
    Villa - Tottenham
    Liverpool - Villa
    Man Utd - Villa
    Villa - Everton

Too be honest,at the moment i think chelsea are the ones we should be looking to overtake. Looking at that though Villa should definitley drop points and if arsenal got their act together they could easily win all those games. Shame Eduardo is out for another two weeks,i really think he gives the team that edge they've been missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Arsenal Sunderland
    Arsenal - Fulham
    West Brom - Arsenal
    Arsenal - Blackburn
    Newcastle - Arsenal
    Arsenal - Man City
    Wigan - Arsenal

Villa - Chelsea
    Villa - Stoke
    Man City - Villa
    Villa - Tottenham
    Liverpool - Villa
    Man Utd - Villa
    Villa - Everton

You know Villa are 3rd two points clear of Chelsea, right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Realistically we should be looking to win all seven of those games, and personally I think provided the defence remains as solid as it has for the last while we will.

According to the BBC, Arshavin will definitely play against Sunderland, and may even start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

redout wrote: »
    Yea but reallistically Chelsea are going to get their act together and Villa will probably struggle with so many competitive games in a row. Villa have a thin squad and an injury, or loss of form to two players could drastically change their season.

Yeah but Chelsea are better than that and Essien's due back shortly.

Villa's squad is beginning to look a bit stretched so if we overtake anyone, I'd say it'll be them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Would anyone know if Arshavin is going to start this weekend please?

TripleAce wrote: »

He won't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I think he will. Half-fit Arshavin on Eboue on the right wing? Tough one that. I never have expected Eduardo to start last Monday but Wenger is making similar musings about Arshavin.

TripleAce wrote: »

I don't think Eboue should just walk back into the team after the performances he's had. If he gives us more than the other options, than fine ... but he doesn't (bar being a better defender but it's Sunderland ffs).

I'd love to see Arshavin or Vela start on the right and then one replace the other.

My head says he'll go with Eboue but there are a couple of things that make me hopeful:
      Eboue will defo be used for the Roma game, Arshavin can't. With the Roma game coming up, early goals and a quick win is just what we're looking for so we can take off RVP and Nasri with half an hour to go. In no way can I (or Wenger at this stage) see Eboue contributing to a 3-0 half time score. I really didn't see Eduardo starting the other night but he did. Admittedly he got injured but I don't think that has anything to do with starting him. Next game is home vrs Fulham who are much better defensively than Sunderland so this would be a good match to give the guy an easy debut at the Emirates. Now more than ever, we need to go on a roll of convincing victories. We need to build our confidence and put the sh*ts up Villa. Good strikers and goals will do that, Eboue won't.

Arsenal:
    Arsenal v Sunderland
    Arsenal v Fulham
    West Brom v Arsenal
    Arsenal v Blackburn
    Newcastle v Arsenal
    Arsenal v Man City
    Wigan v Arsenal
    Liverpool v Arsenal
    Arsenal v Middlesbrough
    Portsmouth v Arsenal
    Arsenal v Chelsea
    Man Utd v Arsenal
    Arsenal v Stoke

Chelsea:
    Aston Villa v Chelsea
    Chelsea v Wigan
    Portsmouth v Chelsea
    Chelsea v Man City
    Tottenham v Chelsea
    Newcastle v Chelsea
    Chelsea v Bolton
    Chelsea v Everton
    Ham v Chelsea
    Chelsea v Fulham
    Arsenal v Chelsea
    Chelsea v Blackburn
    Sunderland v Chelsea

Villa:
    Aston Villa v Chelsea
    Aston Villa v Stoke
    Man City v Aston Villa
    Aston Villa v Tottenham
    Liverpool v Aston Villa
    Man Utd v Aston Villa
    Aston Villa v Everton
    Aston Villa v West Ham
    Bolton v Aston Villa
    Aston Villa v Hull
    Fulham v Aston Villa
    Middlesbrough v Aston Villa
    Aston Villa v Newcastle

I've just highlighted the fixtures that we have in common with Chelsea and Villa. We're 5 points behind Chelsea and 7 behind Villa. Our game with Chelsea is going to be crucial and, I feel we have to hope for a draw in the match this weekend. From above, where else can anybody see us closing the gap on the other two?

Arsenal Sunderland
    Arsenal - Fulham
    West Brom - Arsenal
    Arsenal - Blackburn
    Newcastle - Arsenal
    Arsenal - Man City
    Wigan - Arsenal

We SHOULD be able to win all of those games. (but you know Arsenal)

After the weekend when Villa play Chelsea we shall see who we're closer to.

• Advertisement

After the weekend when Villa play Chelsea we shall see who we're closer to.

Doesn't matter unless we do the business ourselves, which we should, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

good chance arshavin starting as well

arshavin----denilson
    song----nasri

rvp
    bendtner

shano_88 wrote: »

eboue----denilson
    arshavin----nasri

rvp
    bendtner

I'd be much more comfortable with something like that, if Arshavin can play more centrally, that is! Song, must be the slowest man on earth!

Doesn't matter unless we do the business ourselves, which we should, but...

Like I said even with a couple of injuries/rotations/rested players etc. we should have enough to win each of those fixtures on the given days. Will we? Well, its a great chance and would be most disappointing not to capitalize.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

shano_88 wrote: »

arshavin----denilson
    song----nasri

rvp
    bendtner

Finally, another player who can ectually play on the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Arsenal linked with Saivet in the Mirror today. Dubbed the 'new Henry'.

• Advertisement

Arsenal linked with Me in the Mirror today. Dubbed the 'new Pele'.

Lucky Arsenal :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Arsenal linked with Me in the Mirror today. Dubbed the 'new Pele'.

wow

iv heard great stuff about him

heres a youtube link
    :p

Mgoraf wrote: »

He always turns out great in Football Manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd be much more comfortable with something like that, if Arshavin can play more centrally, that is! Song, must be the slowest man on earth!

Arshavin cannot play centrally in a two man midfield. 3 yes, but playing him along side Denilson would be a real risk. he's too slight, and too attack minded.

Mgoraf wrote: »
    He always turns out great in Football Manager

heh was just going to respond similar. it seems the tabloids are struggling for inspiration these days... :D

• Advertisement

So for today's game we have Arshavin, Eboué and Djourou available.
    Eduardo, Diaby, Silvestre, Adebayor, Walcott, Rosicky and Fabregas out.

The squad appears to be:
    Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Toure, Clichy, Nasri, Denilson, Arshavin, Eboue, Bendtner, Van Persie, Fabianski, Djourou, Gibbs, Wilshere, Vela, Song, Ramsey

I'll hazard aguess that the team will look like:

Almunia

Sagna---Touré--Gallas--Clichy

Eboué--Denilson--Song--Nasri

Bendtner--RvP

Arshavin starts. Merida on the bench. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Full team is Arsenal: Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Toure, Clichy, Nasri, Denilson, Song Billong, Arshavin, Bendtner, Van Persie.
    Subs: Fabianski, Vela, Ramsey, Djourou, Eboue, Gibbs, Merida.

I guess Arshavin going straight in shows just how highly Wenger rates him? Hope he gets off to a good start in his Arsenal career today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Really looking forward to today. Arshavin to start. tbh Chelsea are far better capable to go on a consistant run than Villa at this stage of the season. A couple of defeats on the bounch and the Villians will be in trouble. We must capitalise on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Anyone got a stream by any chance? Just found out my hotel has no Setanta... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Arshavin doing well so far. I would be worried about Arsenal though, there doesn't seem to be that much urgency in their attack so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Reid clears off the line for Sunderland.

Arsenal looking a little better now. Have to say Bendtner is having a decent game.

Yeah Arshavin has been impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Have to say Bendtner is having a decent game.
    He's been doing well for the last few games - he'll always show for the ball but with a bit more playing time under his belt, he's beginning to find enough form to do something with it once he gets it.

Yeah, few nice glimpses of Arshavin alright but between Toure's poor judgment (he almost gave a goal away from the Sunderland endline) and the lack of cover that the Nasri/Arshavin wing combo seems to provide defensively, Arsenal look anything but safe at the back.

Denilson's been good though so if Song can start to impose himself a bit more (a la the Spurs match) we could be okay.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement