Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Absolutely - which is why he'd be a more attractive signing. But for a one-off match tomorrow, I think I'd plump for Given.

It's hard to judge though so it's obviously very subjective - a Newcastle keeper gets an awful lot more opportunity to show his shot-stopping than a Liverpool keeper.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

With regardss to Almunia, Arsenal will most certainly have other areas in the team they would wanna improve ahead of GK and Almunia is one of the players im 100% sure will be at Arsenal even if its without CL football next year. First obviously youd need a Quality experienced (not old neccesarily) DM and maybe a top class CB although the defense is good atm to be fair to em. Plus you might need say an Adebayor replacement if you dont get CL football as hed be one youd be likely to sell/get a good price for that i could imagine wanting out, elsewhere you mostly have ready made replacements in players like Eduardo, Vela or even Traore after his loan, not that i see Gael going anywhere. iirc Almunia is now the vice captain (not that that means much esp when Wenger says he places little importance on the captaincy) and id place him around 7th in the list of the leagues goalies

1st: Reina / Given
    3rd: Cech
    4th: Friedel / VDS / James (their aging but still at the top of the game)
    7th: Almunia

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That ranking of the keepers is based more on reputation than recent performance, imo.

The only keepers there I'd swap Almunia for are Cech and Reina. That's not to say that he's the third best keeper in the league, but he isn't the seventh either.

That ranking of the keepers is based more on reputation than recent performance, imo.

The only keepers there I'd swap Almunia for are Cech and Reina. That's not to say that he's the third best keeper in the league, but he isn't the seventh either.

well obviously you wouldent swap him for a player in their late 30s who may only have a season or 2 of top football in em and that only leaves Given (who people seem to either see as average or world class) you wouldent have ahead of him. I wasnt trying to put down Almunia and was actually saying he doesent need replacing, I ranked him ahead of the Scwarzers and Howards and in a years time yes he will probably be ahead of VDS, Friedel and James but IMO he is now around the 7th best Prem goalie. btw if not for his Injury I still think that Cech would be easily the top goalie and believe that atm Reina is easily the one that would be the best signing out of all the prem goalies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

James

FAR too gaf prone. No way I'd rate him more highly than Almunia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Arsenal team for Fulham today - Almunia, Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy, Arshavin, Denilson, Diaby, Nasri, Van Persie, Vela.

Subs: Fabianski, Ramsey, Song Billong, Djourou, Bendtner, Eboue, Gibbs.

It think thats a cracking Arsenal side, and with the exception of Fabregas in for Diaby this is what I believe is our best team. If things click for us today we could hammer Fulham imo. But I'll take any kind of win tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Vela starts Wreck. Really looking forward to this game. Come on the Gunners.

http://www.iraqgoals.com/en/

We are on Channel 4

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Wreck wrote: »
    It think thats a cracking Arsenal side, and with the exception of Fabregas in for Diaby this is what I believe is our best team. If things click for us today we could hammer Fulham imo. But I'll take any kind of win tbh.

+1

As for the goalkeeper topic at the moment im very happy with Almunia as our first choice keeper. I think Fabianski has the potential aswell to become a consistent and solid keeper from what he has shown during the cup games this season. There just isnt that many top top goalkeepers in the league since Cech as a had dip in form over the last season or so.

As for Reina hes a good shot stopper but is no way the best keeper in the league imo. His lack of height is always a worry for collecting corners or crosses from play into the box. I think Almunia is a far more comanding figure in those situations and is having a good season for us so far.

The likes of Given/James/Green are all again decent keepers but for me more often than not make a meal out of what are usually standard enough saves for the quality of keeper that they are.

The classic case was Paul Robinson in his spurs days "Englands number 1" a joke of a keeper imo!:)

I am so mad right now, I don't even want to post here. Fcuk it I just did. :mad:

Terrible performance today, and I don't think we are going to make fourth spot now. Seriously, why the fcuk can't we score anymore? I'm really pissed off right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

everton 2 points behind yis now. not on a windup or anything here, but jesus yis would want to sort yourselves out pretty sharpish or you mightnt make europe full stop (only 5th gets uefa afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Helix wrote: »
    everton 2 points behind yis now. not on a windup or anything here, but jesus yis would want to sort yourselves out pretty sharpish or you mightnt make europe full stop (only 5th gets uefa afaik)

Still believe Villa will hit a bad patch, Arsenal will turn things around.

They way it is looking right now it is Man Utd who will be helping us to get into the UEFA Cup for next season. Winning the Carling Cup on Sunday will give an extra slot to the league. 5th and 6th will be in the UEFA Cup, and of course if any of the top 4 win the FA Cup it will also go to the league. (5th, 6th and 7th afaik)

btw.....still angry. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

6th will get Europe if United beat Spurs tomorrow I think.

Personally I couldn't care any less about being in the Uefa cup. Sure the English teams in it don't even take it seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

OPENROAD wrote: »

both clubs have united, liverpool and everton still to play, and we have the far easier run in, so i think arsenal really have to be ahead of us when the next 5 games are finished to have any hope whatsoever of finishing above us

thats not to say yis have to finish above us to get cl football, liverpool are looking ropey too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Think Villa are in their bad patch now. our last 4 games in all competitions reads D1 L3. Stoke may not have won away from home in the PL but they beat Villa at theirs so they'll have that at least.

Fulham were good today and worthy of the draw, did same at VP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If we don't get CL, I think I'd prefer not to get EC to be honest...I don't think I'd watch it anyway!

This season v previous seasons:
    2008-2009: 27 12 10  5 38 25 13 46
    2007-2008: 27 19  7  1 56 20 36 64 ( 3rd)
    2006-2007: 27 15  7  5 50 23 27 52 ( 4th)
    2005-2006: 27 12  5 10 39 22 17 41 ( 4th)
    2004-2005: 27 17  6  4 63 31 32 57 ( 2nd)
    2003-2004: 27 20  7  0 53 18 35 67 ( 1st)
    2002-2003: 27 17  6  4 57 29 28 57 ( 2nd)
    2001-2002: 27 15  9  3 55 31 24 54 ( 1st)
    2000-2001: 27 14  8  5 43 23 20 50 ( 2nd)
    1999-2000: 27 14  6  7 47 28 19 48 ( 2nd)
    1998-1999: 27 13 11  3 35 13 22 50 ( 2nd)
    1997-1998: 27 14  9  4 46 26 20 51 ( 1st)
    1996-1997: 27 13  9  5 45 25 20 48 ( 3rd)
    1995-1996: 27 12  8  7 35 25 10 44 ( 5th)
    1994-1995: 27  8  9 10 30 31 -1 33 (12th)
    1993-1994: 27 12 10  5 31 14 17 46 ( 4th)
    1992-1993: 27 11  5 11 26 25  1 38 (10th)

And so the búllshít continues...

For anyone interested...this is our current unbeaten run:
    2008-2009: 13  5  8  0 13  7  6 23

A bit crap really to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Oh for the days of:

1-0, To the Arsenal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Frisbee wrote: »
    Oh for the days of:

1-0, To the Arsenal!

so you wanna bring back george graham ya?:D

so you wanna bring back george graham ya?:D

I wanna bring back 3 points after a game

Thank God United won today, means whoever finishes 6th gets a UEFA Cup spot.
    And with Everton only 2 points behind us and the way we've been playing it's a very real possibility

Delighted with Stoke today, Villa really had an opportunity to open up a bit of a gap, as it is, six points is not too bad, a huge week comming up. I really think the key player for us will be getting Eduardo back quickly and keeping him fit, I actually think we are starting to play better in recent weeks, we are creating plenty of chances just not finishing them off, hence getting Eduardo back will be key. The season is far from over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just looking at Henry's goal for Barcelona, very nice. Would love to still have him around right now!

jester77 wrote: »
    Just looking at Henry's goal for Barcelona, very nice. Would love to still have him around right now!

I still believe we let him go too soon, I never bought that "he was holding back the young players" pony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The season is far from over.

Indeed it isn't. Arsenal have a congested March but their PL fixtures are all very winnable. Villa have a trickier if quieter month.

Thank God United won today, means whoever finishes 6th gets a UEFA Cup spot.
    And with Everton only 2 points behind us and the way we've been playing it's a very real possibility

You really want to play in the Uefa Cup if we miss out on the CL? I wouldn't mind either way to be honest!

Indeed. How much money is the UEFA cup actually worth? I heard it's something like 21 games in total if you win the thing next year. Can't see Wenger liking that.

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    You really want to play in the Uefa Cup if we miss out on the CL? I wouldn't mind either way to be honest!

Of course I'd want to play in the UEFA Cup if we don't make the Champions League.
    Turning your nose down at a second tier European competition that we actually would have a chance of winning?
    You'd rather we just didnt play in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Indeed. How much money is the UEFA cup actually worth? I heard it's something like 21 games in total if you win the thing next year. Can't see Wenger liking that.

Obviously I'd rather the Champions league but we've a team that badly needs to develop a culture of winning.

Winning a trophy or two might make a huge difference to this young squad. Let them see how good it feels to be jumping up and down on a podium with a trophy in their hands - that may give them the inspiration they're lacking when we play Fulham and Sunderland.

Obviously the CL is the goal but winning games is never a bad thing and conserving fitness would be the last thing on my mind when it comes to bringing the team forward.

Maybe so, but unless they win the thing I'd see it as a waste of time. And I wouldn't be expecting Arsenal to win it just because the quality is less than the Champions League.

The Champions league obviously being different as it generates far more income, and attracts top quality players.

I would fully expect Arsene Wenger to take the UEFA Cup seriously if we get there. It is a competition he would want to win and we have to get back to the mentality of showing something for all the beautiful football we do. Arshavin is a very recent winner of it and the club needs to up it's trophy cabinet.

Then again it's only six points and that lead can be eroded very quickly. Beat West Brom tomorrow night and hopefully City can take something against Villa on Wednesday with their very good home form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Wenger: Arsenal Fans' Loss Of Faith 'Is Not My Worry'

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has expressed further disappointment at his side's goalless draw at home to Fulham yesterday, their fifth consecutive draw, but has also insisted that he expects a positive future for his youthful side.

Not for the first time this season, some Gunners fans showed their frustration publicly at the end of yesterday's game by jeering their team off the pitch. The fourth goalless draw in a row has all but ended any feint hopes of challenging for the Premier League title.

But Wenger was defiant though when the discussing the situation with football365.com saying, "I don't know [whether the fans are losing faith]. That is not my worry.

"What is important is that I do what I believe is right and we keep going, that we show great attitude and do our job as well as we can, then let everybody judge and have an opinion. I believe it's not the biggest problem, not the biggest worry. The biggest worry is that we don't win games that we should win."

The Frenchman was also clear in his belief that his team had the resourcefulness and strength to come through the challenging times they are currently facing.

"We have been through difficult times, but it's an opportunity to show that you are strong enough to come through it," he added.

"I feel the players are showing enough desire, but when you don't get the results the first thing people always doubt is the desire. I want to win the games and when we don't win the games, it's disappointing.

"Every defeat or every time we don't have a victory is tough. At the moment it's not satisfying, but we will see how strong we are until the end of the season."

With any chance of winning the Premier League gone, Wenger did confess that he was desperate to ensure that the Gunners manage to qualify for the Champions League. He said that the six point gap between themselves and Aston Villa in fourth place must be clawed back as quickly as possible.

"You know how much I want to get into the Champions League. For me, it is not important - it is vital. But you can only play your games and try to win them.

"I want to be in the Champions League because it's the best I can be. If I'm not, then I'm not happy. It's as simple as that.

"You don't play football to be average. I don't manage in the game to be average, and the players want to play at the top."

And, despite the team's problems with injury currently, Wenger will head into Tuesday's trip to West Bromwich Albion with an upbeat message for players and supporters.

"We don't have many opportunities to change things round at the moment," he admitted.

"So we will keep the positives from what we do well and go into the next game to win it. What is good in football is that in three days the story can be completely different."

He must be hoping that Aston Villa continue to wobble like they have been doing in recent weeks.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/03/01/1133478/wenger-arsenal-fans-loss-of-faith-is-not-my-worry

Of course I'd want to play in the UEFA Cup if we don't make the Champions League.
    Turning your nose down at a second tier European competition that we actually would have a chance of winning?
    You'd rather we just didnt play in Europe?

I have no interest in the Uefa Cup...I can't remember the last time I watched a final in full and I don't think we'd win it either to be honest!

• Advertisement

I have no interest in the Uefa Cup...I can't remember the last time I watched a final in full and I don't think we'd win it either to be honest!

To me that's football snobbery of the highest order.
    "The UEFA Cup is a mickey mouse competition, why bother?"

I'd say bother because we're not good enough to play in the Champions League so surely we should try and win the competition we are good enough to qualify for?

I don't think we'll win the Champion League this year either so should we just give up now?

To me that's football snobbery of the highest order.
    "The UEFA Cup is a mickey mouse competition, why bother?"

I'd say bother because we're not good enough to play in the Champions League so surely we should try and win the competition we are good enough to qualify for?

I don't think we'll win the Champion League this year either so should we just give up now?

Call it what you want, 11 years in the Champions League has made me a snob? So be it! I never said we should give anything up, but whether we qualify for the Uefa Cup or not if we fail to qualify for the Champions League doesn't bother me! I don't think we'll win the Champions League this year, but it might just be our best chance of qualifying next year!

Call it what you want, 11 years in the Champions League has made me a snob? So be it! I never said we should give anything up, but whether we qualify for the Uefa Cup or not if we fail to qualify for the Champions League doesn't bother me! I don't think we'll win the Champions League this year, but it might just be our best chance of qualifying next year!

You said you don't think we'll win the Uefa Cup so you've no interest in it.
    How do you think we can win the Champions League this year and be unable to win the Uefa Cup next year?

It's a privilege to be in any European competition, and constant qualification for the CL is causing people to see things in rose tinted glasses.

The way we've been playing we don't deserve Champions League football next year.

Of course I'm really hoping we can turn things around and get fourth place, but if we don't, I'll welcome European football next year with open arms.

I don't mean to nitpick, but:
    You said you don't think we'll win the Uefa Cup so you've no interest in it.

I have no interest in the Uefa Cup and I added that I don't think we would win it!
    How do you think we can win the Champions League this year and be unable to win the Uefa Cup next year?

6 games left this year in the Champions League, there's a lot more in the Uefa Cup than that!
    It's a privilege to be in any European competition, and constant qualification for the CL is causing people to see things in rose tinted glasses.

The way we've been playing we don't deserve Champions League football next year.

I see what you mean, but I have no interest in the Uefa Cup now and if we were playing in it next year, my interest would only increase slightly to be honest and I'd prolly watch Champions League instead!
    Of course I'm really hoping we can turn things around and get fourth place, but if we don't, I'll welcome European football next year with open arms.

I hope we can turn it around too, but I'm not gonna lie and say I'd be happy to be in the Uefa Cup just because it's a European competition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Actually, I think we've forgotten the possibility that, if we end up in it, Wenger might tackle the UEFA Cup with the Carling cup squad - WOW!! :D:D

If I was told that'd happen, I'd nearly be hoping for UEFA cup football next year ;)

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Actually, I think we've forgotten the possibility that, if we end up in it, Wenger might tackle the UEFA Cup with the Carling cup squad - WOW!! :D:D

If I was told that'd happen, I'd nearly be hoping for UEFA cup football next year ;)

I'm sure he'd take it pretty seriously, as he should!

gosplan wrote: »

tbh i would think that far more likely considering some of the teams youd play early on and that 3 teams qualify from the group so you wouldent have to play your first XI usually in most of your games to qualify. Id expect Wilshere and Co to see some time in Europe next season should Arsenal finish 5th and not win the CL.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We have the squad depth to be able to take the UEFA cup seriously, should we be in it next season. I'd expect/demand Wenger to make a real effort to win the thing. As gosplan said, breeding a winning mentality by winning it could be very useful in the long term... not to mention to mention being a real confidence booster going into 2010/11.

Are we resigned to streams for tonights game?

Are we resigned to streams for tonights game?

Yeah, Setanta Ireland are showing Falkirk v Dundee...you could always watch the 97/98 season review on Arsenal TV instead, better than watching us drop points again :p

Yeah, Setanta Ireland are showing Falkirk v Dundee...you could always watch the 97/98 season review on Arsenal TV instead, better than watching us drop points again :p

Good shout. I'll consider watching the stream later maybe.

And Falkirk vs. Dundee?
    Everyone knows Irish people only ever watch SPL matches when Celtic are playing.... :pac:

Good shout. I'll consider watching the stream later maybe.

And Falkirk vs. Dundee?
    Everyone knows Irish people only ever watch SPL matches when Celtic are playing.... :pac:

I thought it was just the old firm???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Im going to go out on a limb here and predict a 1-1 draw tonight )oooh two more goals than usual)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

any ideas on the like lineup tonight lads?

Something like:

Almunia
    Sagna--Toure-Djourou-Clichy---
    Eboue---Diaby--Denilson-Nasri-
    Bentner

RvP

???

Is Arshavin injured?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement