Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Darn, TWO Arsenal matches on in TV channels I have in as many days and I'm working for both of them. :(

Well if you look at the Premier league there are a few ex Arsenal youth players plying their trade:

Stephen Sidwell (Aston Villa)
    Ashley Cole (Chelsea)
    Jamie O' Hara (Spurs)
    David Bentley (Spurs)

Also Stephen Hughes of Coventry City (he did play Premiership football after leaving us)

I'm sure theres a few more that I left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i would much rather see arsene go for Jérémy Toulalan from Lyon. This guy is about to become the new rock for france for the next decade and at 24, is my pick of top defensive players in europe right now.

Toulalan? god no. i think there are much better options than him out there. He may figure for France while the loolaa is in charge, but they have much better options than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

France have better defensive midfielders? like who

Diarra and Flamini for starters. both are technically much better footballers than Toulalan. Toulalan would be found it if he were to leave France. he's just an average all rounder player, he has no real strengths to his game. he's not particularly fantastic in the tackle. not a great passer, not great going forward. he's just meh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Lassana Diarra.

Cracking player imo. Pity he didnt show abit more patience and he would be a starter in the Arsenal midfield now with Flamini gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

to be honest id have both Diarra and Flamini over Toulalan.

I don't think arsenal are in the position to buy Diarra or Flamini right now..

Galvasean wrote: »
    I don't think arsenal are in the position to buy Diarra or Flamini right now..

nope. but they can get much better than Toulalan. i'd rather see 18 million spent on Barry, or the same again on Alonso than see Toulalan at the emirates. again these two are much better footballers than Toulalan. in fact i would have gotten 35 year old Claude Makelele over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Premier league there are a few ex Arsenal youth players plying their trade:

Ashley Cole (Chelsea)
    Jamie O' Hara (Spurs)
    David Bentley (Spurs)

Also Stephen Hughes of Coventry City (he did play Premiership football after leaving us)

Fabrice muamba bolton
    Mortiz Volz fulham
    Seba larsson who'll probably end up in the prem.
    alliadere Boro
    Penant the pool
    Bentley spuds

• Advertisement

I dont see Wenger spending 8 million on anyone this season TBH. If he does bring in a defensive player expect him to be relatively obscure and not very expensive.
    So much for Wenger saying he was going for 'an experienced defender who knows the ins and outs of the Premier league".

Darn, TWO Arsenal matches on in TV channels I have in as many days and I'm working for both of them. :(

Well if you look at the Premier league there are a few ex Arsenal youth players plying their trade:

Ashley Cole (Chelsea)
    Jamie O' Hara (Spurs)
    David Bentley (Spurs)

James Harper for one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wow today's team wasn't what I was expecting

Fabianksi
    Eboue
    Senderos----Djourou---Hoyte
    Wilshere----Denilson---Ramsey----Gibbs
    Vela
    Bendtner

Ok that's definitely the team

Defence looks dodgy. Really highlights the need for some signings there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Wow today's team wasn't what I was expecting

Fabianksi
    Eboue
    Senderos----Hoyte----Clichy
    Wilshere----Denilson---Ramsey----Gibbs
    Vela
    Bendtner

not 100% on Hoyte, will have to check that one again

It has the making of Arsenal's Carling Cup team I hope, looks very promising. Thanks man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Senderos as captain.

Its things like that that worry me.... :p

Also cant believe he left Gallas as captain again this year.
    I was sure Kolo was a shoe in for it. Or failing that even left Cesc step up. Personally I think Cesc is still a little too young, but he could only be better than Gallas....

No! You can't do that as a manager, make Gallas captain and then take it off him the following season. He has learned from his mistakes and will be much better this season for it, my 2cents I know, but Wenger has made the right decision. Besides if he gives it to someone else, and they go on to have a bad season, what then?, hand it over to someone else? That would be farcical and shows a lack of leadership skills...from the manager.

Senderos as captain today has to be a good thing. Wenger obviously still has faith in him and making him captain should give him more responsibility and help get his confidence back. Let's hope for a good performance today, and tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

DenMan wrote: »
    It has the making of Arsenal's Carling Cup team I hope, looks very promising. Thanks man.

I'd be shocked if Vela doesn't break into the first team significantly this year

DenMan wrote: »
    Besides if he gives it to someone else, and they go on to have a bad season, what then?, hand it over to someone else?

Senderos as captain today has to be a good thing. Wenger obviously still has faith in him and making him captain should give him more responsibility and help get his confidence back. Let's hope for a good performance today, and tomorrow.

Im not saying Gallas shouldnt be captain because we didnt win the PL. Im saying it because he showed no real leadership skills besides showing his teammates how to throw a tantrum or kick a hoarding correctly...

I agree with your Senderos comment though, hopefully this will give him a bit more confidence.
    PHB wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if Vela doesn't break into the first team significantly this year

I think there's no doubt that he will, he's world class.
    I'd be amazed if he was relegated to Reserve and Carling Cup duty this year..
    Im sure he will play in the Carling Cup, but hopefully as the one or two more senior players Wenger tends to put in the team ala Sagna last year

Your right guys, Vela is awesome. I really hope him and Bendner play well together (as they have been so far). We need to win a trophy this year and the Carling Cup has to be a realistic prospect for us...and we need firepower to do it!!! Those two can score goals together, that's for sure. The way we collapsed against Tottenham in the second leg last season was catastrophic. Come on Arsenal.

Not a huge amount to talk about there. Alot of possession but farely ineffective going forward. Bendtner giving the ball away a lot. Eboue still useless as a right mid.

Not a huge amount to talk about there. Alot of possession but farely ineffective going forward. Bendtner giving the ball away a lot. Eboue still useless as a right mid.

Yeah really hope to see Nasri on for Eboue in the second half...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

reporting that Diaby, Gallas and Adebayor all on.

Off; Senderos, Ramsey and Vela

Cant believe Eboue is still on that pitch and he took off Ramsey and Vela.

F*cking travesty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Wilshire has been impressive pre-season.

Eboue's off for Walcott. Thank fúck.

Thank Christ for that...

He's one of the most tactically challenged players ive ever seem play...

Is it just me or does Bendtner really not seem interested?

Checking the Sky Sports Score Center, the caliber of opposition is excellent I have to say, Juve picked a very strong team. Class does show so I am sure Juve are marking him well. He could of course be having a bad day at the office!!! Probably a bit of both!!!

Nah its not even that, I haven't seen him run into space looking for a pass at all in the second half, he seems too content to just jog slowly about and let someone else look to make the breakthrough....

Maybe its all a clever ruse so they wont mark him and he can bang in a hat trick in the last five minutes...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Both positives and negatives to take from today's game. We outplayed a strong Juve team for most of the game and restricted them to very few chances, but lacked cutting edge ourselves.

Our strikers and wingers had off days. Eboue was woeful and Nasri had no impact. Wilshere was the best of them, he had a pretty decent game.

On the plus side I thought Denilson looked excellent in the DM role while Djourou and Gallas had very good games at CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Both positives and negatives to take from today's game. We outplayed a strong Juve team for most of the game and restricted them to very few chances, but lacked cutting edge ourselves.

Our strikers and wingers had off days. Eboue was woeful and Nasri had no impact. Wilshere was the best of them, he had a pretty decent game.

On the plus side I thought Denilson looked excellent in the DM role while Djourou and Gallas had very good games at CB.

I thought it was a shining example of everything good and bad about Arsenal over the past 3/4 seasons... Utterly dominating with plenty of youth, but not having any cutting edge. It seems get a little frustrating to be honest, but Juve (despite the goal being disallowed) were passengers for alot of the game, but took their chance.

Thought Sissoko was the MOM too btw. He really really really impressed me.

• Advertisement

Diarra and Flamini for starters. both are technically much better footballers than Toulalan. Toulalan would be found it if he were to leave France. he's just an average all rounder player, he has no real strengths to his game. he's not particularly fantastic in the tackle. not a great passer, not great going forward. he's just meh...

ahh cmon, thats just not true.

Toulahan has had 30 starts a season for Lyon for the last 4 years, yet he is still only 24, not to mention playing most of their champions league games.

He was the main player to come in instead of Viera for France in the Euro qualifiers and played all their games in the finals. he has been talked up very much for his solid displays and strong defensive game.

Lessana Diarra only had 15 starts last season and could not cut it at arsenal or chelsea and made only 11 appearances for pompey. He may be up and coming, but he severely lacks experience compared to Toulahan, as well as already turning his back on arsenal.

As for Flamini, he obviously had a good season, but there is a reason he was left behind for France, he puts in a lot of effort and covers a lot of ground, but I would question his effectiveness and the quality of his passing, tackles and shooting. His main strength is covering ground and closing down space. I value Toulahan above him, and fully expect him to be only a utility player at AC Milan next year.

Toulahan is the man for France in the next few years, no doubt about it. He will also be forming a potent partnership with a certain mr nasri, so it would benefit us enormously if we could get him, in my opinion.

ahh cmon, thats just not true.

Toulahan has had 30 starts a season for Lyon for the last 4 years, yet he is still only 24, not to mention playing most of their champions league games.

He was the main player to come in instead of Viera for France in the Euro qualifiers and played all their games in the finals. he has been talked up very much for his solid displays and strong defensive game.

Lessana Diarra only had 15 starts last season and could not cut it at arsenal or chelsea and made only 11 appearances for pompey. He may be up and coming, but he severely lacks experience compared to Toulahan, as well as already turning his back on arsenal.

As for Flamini, he obviously had a good season, but there is a reason he was left behind for France, he puts in a lot of effort and covers a lot of ground, but I would question his effectiveness and the quality of his passing, tackles and shooting. His main strength is covering ground and closing down space. I value Toulahan above him, and fully expect him to be only a utility player at AC Milan next year.

Toulahan is the man for France in the next few years, no doubt about it. He will also be forming a potent partnership with a certain mr nasri, so it would benefit us enormously if we could get him, in my opinion.

i had a big long response written out to this but accidently deleted it. most of it was ****e anyway but still...

on the Euro's, Toulalan was one of the poorer players for France, only marginally ahead of Malouda and Abidal imo. he was playing along side a veteran which should have given him the freedom to play his natural game, but instead he went missing. 35 year old Makelele passed better, covered more ground and was better at imposing himself as a creative figure on the game.

on Diarra. never got a chance, can only judge him on what we've seen which was very promising. he's a man to watch though for this season imo, i think he'll do very very well.

on Flamini. you could have probably said the exact same thing about a young Gennaro Gattuso as you levelled at him. he's a perfect replacement and if given his chance will become a fixture at the San Siro in years to come, i'm positive.

to sum: Toulalan is a decent all round footballer, i'll give you that, but he has no strengths, and in any match i've seen him play has failed to impose himself. watching him no particular element of his game stands out and imo he'll struggle to have any notable impact in the premiership. If Arsenal want to realise ambitions of winning the premiership they'll need a lot better.

fair enough, I reckon he's good enough, LYOn have been great for the last few years and he has been instrumental.

We need some experience now, I would hate to see us lacking at the end of the season again.

1 more player.... who could it be?

We need some experience now, I would hate to see us lacking at the end of the season again.

on that note, i stumbled across this while trying to get his age.
    However, 24-year-old Toulalan - whose 13 caps pales into comparison to the 105 of 31-year-old Vieira - believes that he has slowly erased the shyness that overcame him when he was earning his spurs in his early international days.

'I speak a bit more these days,' said Toulalan, who has been at Lyon for the past two seasons having previously been at Nantes.

'These days, I am now playing at Lyon and the season was a success both for me personally and for the team so it is easier to fit in when I join up with the national squad.'

Toulalan has certainly proved himself at Lyon - two titles in his first two seasons and a French Cup in the season just ended attest to that - which is no mean feat as he had to fill the gaps left by Mahamadou Diarra, who signed for Real Madrid, and of Portuguese international Tiago, who left for Juventus last summer for 13.6million euros.

if shyness is a problem for him, then he's definitely the wrong type of player needed.

in fairness, thats a poor conclusion to draw.....

he obviosly expresses himself on the pitch, just look at the amount of league, cup, champs league and internationals he has been trusted in in the last 4 years. Just look at the experienced players, world and european cup winners that made up that team when he came in, Zidane, henry, viera, Thuram, desailly, makalele, Wiltord, Pires, etc etc, you seriously expect a rookie to hold his own with those giants. sheesh, you sure have high standards.

If shyness is his main problem, I would snap him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

if shyness is a problem for him, then he's definitely the wrong type of player needed.

Roy Keane had a shyness problem didn't he?

Just a thought, what would you guys think of Kolo Toure stepping up into a defensive midfield role?

Onkle wrote: »
    Roy Keane had a shyness problem didn't he?

maybe as a young un off the field, but not as a 25 year old on the pitch. in fact in his pomp it twould have been between him and Schmeichel as to who was the louder nutcase. Toulalan seems to be talking about on field shyness which is what worries me.
    Just a thought, what would you guys think of Kolo Toure stepping up into a defensive midfield role?

i've seen this mooted in more than a few places now... he wouldn't be bad now, but that would leave Senderos and Gallas as the two CBs, so unless AW brings in another CB who's good enough to start i can't see it even being entertained.

still though, maybe if the likes of Song or Senderos progresses further at CB it would be an option against the bigger teams.

on another note; some of the quotes from Wenger yesterday sound decidedly non committal about getting another player in
    "We are not close to signing anybody and I will focus on the players I have. If we can find someone, then we will do it. If not, I am happy as well. Experience-wise we a bit short in midfield but we will see. With Diaby not being injured, Denilson being available, we have quality in there. Today we did not have Rosicky, Fabregas, Eduardo, van Persie and Song. They are five top-class players."

Song a top class player? maybe in 3 or 4 years... sounds like he has big plans though for him. All in all though, these quotes have me worried at the prospect Wenger is settling for not bringing anybody in :(

Well he started his career for us there, but didn't shine until moved to CB. Although moving him to midfield creates a new problem, we would need another CB and I'm already of the opinion that we are one short.

BTW: Juve's goal, WAAAAYYYY offside.

• Advertisement

I reckon he could do it now, after having a few years experience of the English game.
    But that would just exacerbate are CB problem leaving Gallas and Senderos/Song/Djourou.

Senderos is too unreliable.

Song and Djourou are both good prospects, but I think it might be a year too early for song to step up and play CB every week. Maybe against some of the smaller teams, but certainly wouldnt risk it in big games...

My 0.02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Can't see Arsenal sticking 4 past Madrid, so it seems they probably won't retain the Emirates cup.

Well we are winning 1-0 against Real. Ade on target after 49 mins. Great result if we get it. Only 3 mins left. Juventus concede two late goals and lose 3-0.

Not a bad performance. Still 2 matches and the only goal they scored was a penalty. Not a huge amount of penetration against either sides.

Adebayor shouldn't have bothered with the badge kissing crap. If he just keeps his head down and scores goals, the fans will forgive him. He shouldn't start kissing the badge pretending he loves the club when it's blatantly obvious the only thing he loves is money.

Wilshere looked good, again.

have to say, Wilshire looks pure class.

I dont think bendtner did himself many favours, he seemed well off the pace in the last two games. Denilson was good as well. The passing movement and pace certainly looks like its coming together though.

Am I mistaken in thinking that Kolo Toure's first came to us as an attacking midfielder?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

have to say, Wilshire looks pure class.

He has the potential to be some player all right, expect to see him start Carling cup matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Adebayor shouldn't have bothered with the badge kissing crap. If he just keeps his head down and scores goals, the fans will forgive him. He shouldn't start kissing the badge pretending he loves the club when it's blatantly obvious the only thing he loves is money

Have to say it was quite sickening alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Have to say it was quite sickening alright.

I thought it was quite funny, I knew he was going to do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Players should have to do what managers have to do and earn their badges then they can kiss them. It was obvious alrite he'd do it. Nasris looks like another pires, it'll take him 2-3 months to get into it(i hope).

I dont think bendtner did himself many favours, he seemed well off the pace in the last two games.

Am I mistaken in thinking that Kolo Toure's first came to us as an attacking midfielder?

Yeah Bendtner has just looked disinterested in the past two games against the first real top class opposition we've faced so far in pre-season.

I think Kolo started out at left mid if I remember correctly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Do people reckon Denilson is gonna get the starting nod beside Cesc come the league kickoff?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement