Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Kologol!

Undeserved frankly, but as the cliché goes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Assist for Arshavin!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Roddy23 wrote: »
    PapaSmut - that link that BountyHunter had is working fine, with English commentary.

yes it is

Kolo Toure 2-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Great to see the big Irishman getting on the scoresheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

TVU Player 40409 is very good with english commentary. Still in shock - Bendtner scored!!:eek: Missed it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Holy smoke! Bendtner on for a hat trick!

Bendtner again, haha. 3-1. Who complained about him starting again?

lol bendtner.... game over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lovely finish, but if we don't take advantage of some of the worst defending I've seen in the Premiership, we ought to be ashamed of ourselves. Take nothing away from Bendtner that was a lovely finish, but what was the defender doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This could be a procession. West Brom are a shambles at the back.

• Advertisement

Bendtner one goal short of Adebayor's tally now I believe...

Bendtnrer reborn. About fooking time he started proving me wrong. Horrible defending just a straight forward long ball. Maybe we should try that more often instead of passing the ball into the net.

Arshavin's running the show hes been at the centre of a few attacks. Hes fitting in nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

West Brom made the mistake of trying to play football here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I don't think that's their problem, their defending is shocking tbh, certainly for the second and third goals (haven't seen the first yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should be a few more goals you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Wreck wrote: »
    I don't think that's their problem, their defending is shocking tbh, certainly for the second and third goals (haven't seen the first yet).
    If they parked the bus, I'm not sure Arsenal would have broken them down.

Fulham did that too and damn near beat us. Perhaps Mowbray watched that match and got some confidence that his side could do it. But then Fulham had a decent defense.

Ah I see, Wenger's cunning plan to stop the Song midfield horror show is to move him into the unimportant area of the pitch at centre-half, replacing Toure.

Although he's usually played well there to be fair.

Ah crap, Toure off for Diaby. Hope it's only precautionary, what with Gallas out at the moment/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Match being discussed in midweek premier league thread.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055502274&page=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey guys

Which is the most stable link tonight? Can somebody send me on one.

Just been here

http://indonewyork.com/

and the links won't open. :(

Delighted we are 3-1 up though.

well if youve got sopcast the one i posted earlier in the thread has been perfect the whole game is in english and even switched to the pool game at HT and prob will at FT too

Arshavin unlucky!

He's like Bergkamp and Pires rolled into one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

DenMan wrote: »
    Hey guys

Which is the most stable link tonight? Can somebody send me on one.

Just been here

http://indonewyork.com/

and the links won't open. :(

Delighted we are 3-1 up though.

http://www.rojadirecta.com/justin/greenkoda__ is working for me so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Can we play West Brom every week? They are terrible.

• Advertisement

Big Al looks mad there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bendtner is like a God.

Great save! Almunia's made a few good saves tonight.

I hope Wenger tears the ears off Eboue and Song for their free kick they scored in the first half. Going nuts there at Ramsey, deservedly so, we concede before we score again, could be a long 10mins...

Is it just me being nervous or has our defence looked decidedly suspect in the second half? Maybe to be expected with the changes to the normal pairing.

• Advertisement

If Arsenal were to hold onto a CL spot this year (hope not;)) I think they have an increbile base of players to build on, this is just one formation Arsenal could use with the players at their disposal but its how I could see them line-out fully fit.

.........................................Almunia
    ......(RB).................(CB).....................(CB)...............(RB)
    Bakary Sagna.....William Gallas............Kolo Toure......Gael Clichy

.....................(CM).......(Box-to-box CM)......(CM)
    ..............Cesc Fabergas.....Abou Diaby.....Samir Nasr
    ......(RWF)............................................................(LWF)
    Andriy Arshaven....................(CF).......................Robin Van Persie
    ...............................Emmanuel Adebayor

Subs:
    Lukas Fabianski- Cup team Goalie
    Johan Djourou - Cup team CB
    Ramsey/Rosicky(if hes ever fit) - cup team / replacement for Nasri
    Song - Cup team replacement for Diaby
    Eduardo - Impact sub for Van Persie or Adebayor / roated to start some games
    Carlos Vela - Cup team replacement for Van Persie or Ade in a 442 accasional sub for Van Persie
    Theo Walcott - Impact sub for Arshavin / rotated in for some games inc cup matches
    Bendtner - Cup team replacement for Ade / occasional prem sub for him

Wilshere - Long term replacement for Fabergas when he moves to Barcalona

Traore - Cup team LB / quality backup for clichy / sold to finance new signing post loan deal

opinions?

edit: now off to start an FM game as Arsenal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

opinions?

I just can't see Wenger settling on anything other than 4-4-2 formation or having no DM!

jasonorr wrote: »
    I just can't see Wenger settling on anything other than 4-4-2 formation or having no DM!

Well you could consdier Diaby your DM (but obviously DM is an area Arssenal would be likely to strenghten in) in that formation although he does more than defend hense i called him a box to box CM which he would be allowed to be with two other CMs beside him.

Also forgot Denilsons place as a sub (knew i forgot someone) / cup team replacement for Diaby/Fabergas.

I liked the formation Wenger used against Roma. With current personel -

................ Almunia

Sagna .. Gallas .. Toure .. Clichy

......... Denilson . Fabregas

.. Walcott .. Nasri ... Arshavin

.............. van Persie

Squad: Fabianski, Gibbs, Traore, Song, Djourou, Nordtveit, Eboue, Coquelin, Diaby, Ramsey, Merida, Wilshere, Bischoff, Vela, Eduardo, Bendtner, Adebayor, Simpson

Wouldn't mind if Wenger ****ed Song, Eboue and possibly Adebayor out the door in the summer and brought the Flamster home.

Well you could consdier Diaby your DM (but obviously DM is an area Arssenal would be likely to strenghten in) in that formation although he does more than defend hense i called him a box to box CM which he would be allowed to be with two other CMs beside him.

Also forgot Denilsons place as a sub (knew i forgot someone) / cup team replacement for Diaby/Fabergas.

Diaby is defensive??? Could have fooled me, he can play box to box, but his strength is getting forward! I'm all for an attacking lineup, but we could definitely do with a defensive midfielder, even though Denilson has done well this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

3 goals?
    Do my eyes deceive me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Frisbee wrote: »
    3 goals?
    Do my eyes deceive me??
    Yes. We conceded one. Only our third in nine games iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Well you could consdier Diaby your DM

Diaby is an attacking midfielder.

Wouldn't mind if Wenger ****ed Song, Eboue and possibly Adebayor out the door in the summer and brought the Flamster home.

Been thinking about that myself. Heard he's not really doing a lot to dislodge Gattuso and that Ambrosini has been playing a lot as well. Particularly now that Beckham and Ronaldinho are playing and Pirlo has to play, I can't really see him getting a place in that midfield, even if they're playing 4-5-1.

Unfortunately according to Wikipedia:
    Flamini has signed a contract with A.C. Milan where he will be earning €5.6 million per season over a four year period

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's like 110k euro a week or something. We were offering him GBR 55K to stay which back then wouldn't have been too much of a step down but with the exchange rate the way it is we'd almost be halving his wages.

Sadly I think the Flamster is dead to us.

Makes me sick - he's still only like 25 or something!

gosplan wrote: »
    Sadly I think the Flamster is dead to us.

He was dead to us when he chose to run down his contract, he thought he was bigger than he was and has been proved wrong thus far! I'd prefer to get somebody new in than try to bring him back!

• Advertisement

He was dead to us when he chose to run down his contract, he thought he was bigger than he was and has been proved wrong thus far! I'd prefer to get somebody new in than try to bring him back!

I understand the bitterness that some Arsenal fans have towards the man but I think it's a bit unfair.

We could have offered him a new contract in the summer but we didn't. Suddenly he turns from an odd-job player into the one of premierships outstanding DMFs and we put a contract on the table. Wouldn't exactly inspire a lot of loyalty in me.

Unfortunate that Wenger's talent spotting radar wasn't more on the mark with him but I think Flamini sees it as it is - Players are important to a club if they're good but if you're only average, they'll try to offload you to Boro.

He left Marseille in dodgy circumstances and for a hefty pay raise so why would we expect it to be any different?

One thing negative about him you could say is that after finding out we wanted to sell him to Boro, he put in the season of his life. Now he can't get into the Milan team and while Ambrosini and Gattuso especially are great players, the Flamini we saw last season would be in that team without question. Perhaps he has a touch of the Anelkas?

I understand the bitterness that some Arsenal fans have towards the man but I think it's a bit unfair.

We could have offered him a new contract in the summer but we didn't. Suddenly he turns from an odd-job player into the one of premierships outstanding DMFs and we put a contract on the table. Wouldn't exactly inspire a lot of loyalty in me.

Unfortunate that Wenger's talent spotting radar wasn't more on the mark with him but I think Flamini sees it as it is - Players are important to a club if they're good but if you're only average, they'll try to offload you to Boro.

He left Marseille in dodgy circumstances and for a hefty pay raise so why would we expect it to be any different?

One thing negative about him you could say is that after finding out we wanted to sell him to Boro, he put in the season of his life. Now he can't get into the Milan team and while Ambrosini and Gattuso especially are great players, the Flamini we saw last season would be in that team without question. Perhaps he has a touch of the Anelkas?

Personally, I don't buy all that crap about his contract...mainly because we seem to let a lot of players contracts run down a bit before extending them. We tried to sell him to Boro, we let his contract run down? So what, he wasn't playing regularly in his favoured position! He got his opportunity in the first team and he took it that season...the reason I'm bitter is, if it wasn't for him we'd still have Diarra/Gilberto and wouldn't be struggling for Champions League this season! I'm almost certain Wenger expected him to stay with us, which is why he let the others go! Personally, I think he was bitter about being dropped for the Champions League Final...rightly so, just not to that extent!

Personally, I don't buy all that crap about his contract...mainly because we seem to let a lot of players contracts run down a bit before extending them. We tried to sell him to Boro, we let his contract run down? So what, he wasn't playing regularly in his favoured position! He got his opportunity in the first team and he took it that season...the reason I'm bitter is, if it wasn't for him we'd still have Diarra/Gilberto and wouldn't be struggling for Champions League this season! I'm almost certain Wenger expected him to stay with us, which is why he let the others go! Personally, I think he was bitter about being dropped for the Champions League Final...rightly so, just not to that extent!

Yeah, to think that last year we had Diarra and Flamini with Cesc - there's your midfield sorted for the next 5 years. Oh, it hurts so much.

Basically, I just think that Flamini doesn't really do 'club loyalty'. I don't necessarily 100% agree with that but in the days of big business football, when most clubs don't really do 'player loyalty', I can see his point.

Sorry, I just have to repeat that bit from earlier - Last season we had Diarra and Flamini with Cesc. Man, that's depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

.....................(CM).......(Box-to-box CM)......(CM)
    ..............Cesc Fabergas.....Abou Diaby.....Samir Nasr
    ......(RWF)............................................................(LWF)
    Andriy Arshaven....................(CF).......................Robin Van Persie
    ...............................Emmanuel Adebayor

I think that midfield's much too lightweight in terms of tracking back and retrieving possession so I'd definitely have Denilson playing in that formation ahead of Diaby. And personally, if it was going to be that formation with a strengthened midfield, I'd also prefer a front three of Theo/RVP/Arshavin or Theo/Ade/Arshavin, though obviously it'd depend on the opposition.

Last season we had Diarra and Flamini with Cesc. Man, that's depressing.

Gilberto and Hleb too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Dragging things sideways a bit, I was just wondering what the general impression of Diaby and Denilson is?

The reason I'm asking is that according to some reports these are two of the players that Rafa thought he had signed at one stage only for the deals to fall through. This would have been prior to them joining Arsenal. The blame for the deals falling through seems to have been one of the charges against Rick Parry aka Coco the Clown. I suppose deals can fall through for any number of reasons but it just set me thinking. I had heard very slight chatter about Diaby being linked to LFC at one stage, but hadnt heard anything about Denilson until Parry was fired last week.

Given Arsenal signed Diaby for £2m and Denilson for £3.4m how would you rate them? Just looking at their ages and the amount of playing time they have picked up so far they look like decent value deals at the very least. Would you agree they look like value for money? Long-term how do you see things going for them at Arsenal? Any negatives? Also any idea of how they would have fitted in at Anfield?

I havent seen a lot of them in action so I'd really appreciate some replies on this. Apologies for dragging things slightly off course.

Also the loss of Diarra and Flamini must feel like a right kick in the nackers

Given Arsenal signed Diaby for £2m and Denilson for £3.4m how would you rate them? Just looking at their ages and the amount of playing time they have picked up so far they look like decent value deals at the very least. Would you agree they look like value for money? Long-term how do you see things going for them at Arsenal? Any negatives? Also any idea of how they would have fitted in at Anfield?

If you can get your hands on the Roma match, that will do more to answer your questions than I could ever articulate particularily when you see how differently we played when Song came on for Diaby!

Have they been value for money? Definitely, Diaby is 22 and considering how many injuries he's had is a very good player! Denilson is 21 and has done well this season, he has plenty of time to mature into that role too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

http://www.quizardry.com/index.php?site=1&sid=138bd4dbd58f11872d0d30bac53399a9&id=23&qid=2843

Nice little player quiz above if anybody wants to take their mind off the present worries! Fairly straightforward but a couple of tricky ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Have they been value for money? Definitely
    +1

On another note, I was planning on heading across to the Man City match but Red Member seats are already sold out, having only gone on sale today :mad:

Anyone got any idea how worthwhile it is to keep an eye on Ticket Exchange?

Obviously the City match seems to have attracted more attention than Sunderland, Fulham or Blackburn recently but leaving that aside, would many tickets generally show up there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    +1

On another note, I was planning on heading across to the Man City match but Red Member seats are already sold out, having only gone on sale today :mad:

Anyone got any idea how worthwhile it is to keep an eye on Ticket Exchange?

Very worthwhile keeping an eye on ticket exchange, I was surprised but delighted the match sold out,my seat was snapped up after two mins on ticket exchange. But their will be more seats on ticket exchange,none at the moment, just keep an eye a few times a day, you will get a seat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement