Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Absolutely delighted with Man City tonight, considering last Saturdaypeople were saying we would be 8 points behind Villa,only three now,still lots of games to play it is important that we get Eduardo back and keep him fit now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Win our next league and we're back in 4th, if only for a day unless Spurs do us a favour.

There's a Fat Sam-sized obstacle in the way, though.

Adebayor, Walcott and Eduardo should be back, and Arshavin should be fully fit. Come on Arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

A potentially 8 point gap is now just 3 four days later...

It won't mean anything though unless Arsenal get their act together. A 3-1 win over West Brom doesn't mean they're back to their best by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Win our next league and we're back in 4th, if only for a day unless Spurs do us a favour.

There's a Fat Sam-sized obstacle in the way, though.

It's looking like Fat Sam did us a favour tonight though.

True. Although it does look like the momentum is shifting, so we've got reason to be positive.

Our league fixtures:

Mar 14 Sat H Blackburn Rovers (Adebayor, Walcott, Eduardo, Gallas back)
    Mar 21 Sat A Newcastle United
    Apr 04 Sat H Manchester City (Fabregas, Rosicky *ahem* back)
    Apr 11 Sat A Wigan Athletic
    Apr 19 Sun A Liverpool
    Apr 26 Sun H Middlesbrough
    May 02 Sat A Portsmouth
    May 09 Sat H Chelsea
    May 16 Sat A Manchester United
    May 24 Sun H Stoke City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

True. Although it does look like the momentum is shifting, so we've got reason to be positive.

Our league fixtures:

Apr 19 Sun A Liverpool
    May 02 Sat A Portsmouth
    May 09 Sat H Chelsea
    May 24 Sun H Stoke City

So 10 wins out of 10? Niiiiceeeeee!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

A Great Day. Not only have Villa been beaten but their goal difference is down as well. Fair play to City, they have done us a huge favour tonight. Had a good feeling about this game with their home form being as good as it is.

Nice to switch gears for a bit with Burnley and Roma up next. Blackburn (h), Newcastle (a), Man City (h) and Wigan (a) all to come before the Liverpool (a) game. All winnable at this stage of the season we have to win them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I can't believe Villa have let us back into this, after the game on Saturday we were looking at a pretty daunting 8 point gap, now it's back down to three and one game could get us back into 4th - absolutely delighted. Our next four league games all look winnable and with plenty of players coming back from injury things are definitely starting to look a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Get in Citeh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Delighted with Citeh, things are maybe looking up! Heading over to the Wigan game in April myself, and going with a lot more confidence now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

A potentially 8 point gap is now just 3 four days later...

It won't mean anything though unless Arsenal get their act together. A 3-1 win over West Brom doesn't mean they're back to their best by any stretch of the imagination.
    I agree - but Arsenal could well have beaten Fulham too (although same goes for Fulham I guess). Point is, we created chances there but just didn't score. And we'd a rake more chances last night too - we just need to make sure we keep creating them and start taking more of them.

The speed with which Villa have thrown away that possible 8-point lead makes me very sad it's an FA Cup weekend though - the gap could help them regroup.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Very worthwhile keeping an eye on ticket exchange, I was surprised but delighted the match sold out,my seat was snapped up after two mins on ticket exchange. But their will be more seats on ticket exchange,none at the moment, just keep an eye a few times a day, you will get a seat.
    Yeah, I'd a look a couple times today already and it seems there are seats on and off all the time which is good.

Do they only come in singles though or can two season ticket holders who sit together put their seats up together? I'm bringing my girlfriend for the first time so don't think she'd really like to be sitting on her lonesome...

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd a look a couple times today already and it seems there are seats on and off all the time which is good.

Do they only come in singles though or can two season ticket holders who sit together put their seats up together? I'm bringing my girlfriend for the first time so don't think she'd really like to be sitting on her lonesome...

Plenty of seats go up together especially in Club Level so you have an excellent chance of getting two together there.

The secret is to keep watching.

Has anyone ever sat in the boxes just behind Club Level?

I've just seen two seats together there but I'm not sure what the story would be with sitting in there - I'm assuming it'd be even more reserved than the Emirates can be as a general rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Looks like Walcott is pushing for a return this weekend. Only problem I have with this article is
    Wenger has opened talks with Emmanuel Eboue over a new contract for the midfielder, whose career at Arsenal appeared to be finished when he was sent on as a substitute and then replaced in injury time after an embarrassing display against Wigan last December.

The Ivory Coast star was also sent off against Tottenham at White Hart Lane, but Wenger believes Eboue has done enough to earn a new deal.

So I am hoping that is untrue!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    So I am hoping that is untrue!!

Give the man a break, he's actually played very well since he was booed off for playing out of position! He's not and never will be our best player, but at the rate we pick up injuries, he's still a very useful addition to the squad!

I think he has been given long enough to try and prove himself. He had that great season as RB but RM is a terrible position for him. He always seems to have his moments in matches....

Also he only signed a "long term" contract in the middle of 2007, so he would still have a few years left on it.

There are a lot better "useful" players out there that could be picked up!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Give the man a break, he's actually played very well since he was booed off for playing out of position! He's not and never will be our best player, but at the rate we pick up injuries, he's still a very useful addition to the squad!
    Especially as he seems fairly willing to be a squad player - those John O'Shea/Darren Flether types are hard to come by and will very rarely be brilliant brilliant players a la Solksjaer.

I've been hugely impressed with Eboue in the last 6 weeks or so - he's even introduced more movement to his game and started popping up on the left. And he's only 25 I think so if his delivery improves in the next 6 months or so, we could get a few years of real value.

Only question is how long he has left on his current deal really and whether we really need to give him a new one right away...

Unless we can magically get 10 million plus for him, I'd like to keep him as squad cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    There are a lot better "useful" players out there that could be picked up!

I'm sure there are, but I wouldn't let him go until we got in a satisfactory replacement!

• Advertisement

I *really* hate Eboue.

Last Champions League match anyone?

Every time he got near the ball he f*cked it up good and proper. When he's on the pitch it's like playing 10 and a half men against 11 and a half.

I can't wait to see the back of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I see what people are saying but the whole Eboue holding a starting midfield berth thing is something that's been forced on us due to injuries. As it stands, he's our only real cover for Sagna and a useful addition to our midfield given that we lack midfielders with defensive qualities.

Additionally, with the addition of Arshavin and return of Walcott, the fact that he's signing a new contract does not mean that we'll be seeing as much of him in the future.

For me, he's shown enough quality to merit another contract. The big problems are down to his consistency and temperament, which he can hopefully improve.

IMHO, he's also a player that needs good players around him, he'll run and tackle and pop up here and there but he's not going to break down defences. Unfortunately, that's what we've been looking for most this year but last year he played a lot of games in our great run at the start of the season and did OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I see €ashley €ole has apparently been arrested for drunk n' disorderly. :D

Also Arsenal v Tottenham tonight in the Youth Cup Quarter Final. Its on one of teh Setanta Sports channels too!

And Eduardo and Walcott are both in contention for Sunday's game against Burnley.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Papa Smut wrote: »
    When he's on the pitch it's like playing 10 and a half men

There's a nifty idea for a sitcom in there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Apr 19 Sun A Liverpool
    May 02 Sat A Portsmouth
    May 09 Sat H Chelsea
    May 24 Sun H Stoke City

What I love about Arsenal is that it honestly would not surprise me if Arsenal won 10 out of 10 games getting 30 out of 30 points. At the same time, it would not surprise me if drew with Blackburn and Newcastle, beat City and Wigan, lost to Liverpool, drew with Boro and Portsmouth, lost to United and Chelsea, and then beat Stoke ending with 13 out of 30.

I think it'll be closer to the former rather than the latter to be honest, but being in the CL will provide another distraction that Villa just won't have. Villa have like 10 games until the end of the season while most would expect Arsenal to have at least 15, more if they progress further in the CL or FA Cup.
    That's where Arsenal might still have trouble, especially if they don't prioritise the league, which since they are chasing silverware, they may not. Who knows? You can always qualify for the CL by winning it :)

PHB wrote: »

Arsenal should take 3 points here. By then United will have won the league already and may rest important players for the Champions League.

PS: anyone watching the game tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yep im watching it. Looking forward to watching Coquelin and of course Jackie boy and see how the other kids are coming along. Jay Emmanuel Thomas has been playing well apparently

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Has anyone ever sat in the boxes just behind Club Level?

I've just seen two seats together there but I'm not sure what the story would be with sitting in there - I'm assuming it'd be even more reserved than the Emirates can be as a general rule?

I think the seats you are talking about are Club Level seats.

Club Level is excellent imo, it is not really corporate but yes less singing than other sections of the ground,but great facilities and view of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote: »
    Apr 19 Sun A Liverpool
    May 02 Sat A Portsmouth
    May 09 Sat H Chelsea
    May 24 Sun H Stoke City

What I love about Arsenal is that it honestly would not surprise me if Arsenal won 10 out of 10 games getting 30 out of 30 points. At the same time, it would not surprise me if drew with Blackburn and Newcastle, beat City and Wigan, lost to Liverpool, drew with Boro and Portsmouth, lost to United and Chelsea, and then beat Stoke ending with 13 out of 30.

I think it'll be closer to the former rather than the latter to be honest, but being in the CL will provide another distraction that Villa just won't have. Villa have like 10 games until the end of the season while most would expect Arsenal to have at least 15, more if they progress further in the CL or FA Cup.
    That's where Arsenal might still have trouble, especially if they don't prioritise the league, which since they are chasing silverware, they may not. Who knows? You can always qualify for the CL by winning it :)

Strange, I was talking to an Arsenal supporting mate about this last night :|

I think Arsenal are now in a position to achieve 4th place by the end of the season. With their recent clean sheets, they seem to have made a conscious effort to get to basics and stop conceding silly goals. With that addressed, I think they will gradually start playing their own brand of football again and with Eduard and a few others coming back from injury, start sticking the ball in the net again.

How they will fare in each of the individual fixtures above is anyones guess but it wouldn't surprise me if they get similar amount of, if not more, points from the likes of Liverpool, United, Chelsea, City and Wigan as they will get against Blackburn, Newcy, Boro, Pompey and Stoke.

Also, as I have said countless times, I think Arsenal could have a massive influence on who wins the league and who comes second or third. It wouldn't be remotely unrealistic to think that they might beat Liverpool, Chelsea and/or United.

• Advertisement

Eboue useful me hole. He's about as useful as a cock flavoured lollipop.

Sell him, Song and Silvestre in the summer and buy a defensive player who can, you know, defend.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,421 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sell him, Song and Silvestre in the summer and buy a defensive player who can, you know, defend.

I had completely forgotten we had Silvestre at all!! I'm assuming he's injured eh?

This is from Arsenal.com
    January

Mikael only managed 30 minutes of January action thanks to a thigh injury picked up in the month’s opening game against Plymouth in the FA Cup. On Thursday, January 29, Arsène Wenger gave an update on the defender’s recovery. “Silvestre has had a little set-back so he will be out for two or three weeks more,” he said.

Now my maths might be a little rusty but its a little longer than 2-3 weeks at this stage.

Very funny arsecast this morning on the arseblog.

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/arseblog

LOL :D

He's a very useful squad player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Frisbee wrote: »
    He's a very useful League of Ireland squad player

FYP ;)

FYP ;)

Meh, remember when Sagna and Toure were injured?
    That happens again and we'll need Eboue.
    Even if Sagna is injured we'll need Eboue, Toure isn't a great right back

Looks like we will have Walcott, Eduardo available for the match at Burnley. Will be very good to have them back, should hopefully add more urgency to the attack and hopefully a little more directness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Meh, remember when Sagna and Toure were injured?
    That happens again and we'll need Eboue.
    Even if Sagna is injured we'll need Eboue, Toure isn't a great right back

Thats a fair point and I take it on board but my biggest problem with Eboue is that he is being consistently used as cover for midfield ahead of Ramsey/Vela and even Diaby sometimes and he wastes alot of possesion, makes bad decisions, can't shoot in those areas. So my opinion of him is he is useful in the squad as cover for RB ONLY we have other options for midfield which should be used imo. So in that sense I think getting rid of Eboue would stop him being played in midfield and frustrating a large portion of Arsenal fans when he gets on or near the ball in advanced positions.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Thats a fair point and I take it on board but my biggest problem with Eboue is that he is being consistently used as cover for midfield ahead of Ramsey/Vela and even Diaby sometimes and he wastes alot of possesion, makes bad decisions, can't shoot in those areas. So my opinion of him is he is useful in the squad as cover for RB ONLY we have other options for midfield which should be used imo. So in that sense I think getting rid of Eboue would stop him being played in midfield and frustrating a large portion of Arsenal fans when he gets on or near the ball in advanced positions.

Yeah it frustrates me too when he plays midfield.
    He should be relegated to playing RB only

• Advertisement

Reinforcements are coming.
    gun__1236349256_fabregas_training01.jpg?ic=db263cT

Galvasean wrote: »
    Reinforcements are coming.
    gun__1236349256_fabregas_training01.jpg?ic=db263cT

Can we pick and choose which ones we want?

Glad people are finally waking up and smelling the Kenco about him. It only took me 7 months to convince ye...:rolleyes:

Apologies, master of all footballing knowledge.

Drunken angry ranting aside, I still rate Song as a player but he isn't one who suits our system. He's a squad player and we've got enough squad players in the positions he can be used in so I wouldn't mind if we cashed in on him and pooled the funds to bring in a top quality first teamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Lads have to agree with Pepe, Eboue is muck! He's as usefull as an ashtray on a motorbike..

Lads have to agree with Pepe, Eboue is muck! He's as usefull as an ashtray on a motorbike..

Eh, we all think Eboue is muck, nothing new there. This is turning into pun contest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

eboue is as about as much use as tits on mackeral

Can we pick and choose which ones we want?

The one on the left please..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

anybody know what channel the match is on today or even if its on the box at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I use this the the odd time:

http://www.wheresthematch.com/tv/home.asp?sportid=1&showdatestart=&showdateend=

Sellotanta Sports 1 it looks like.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement