Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Phew, had to go to the pub to settle the nerves after that one. Absolutely awful performance from everyone bar maybe Al and Bendtner, but so relieved to get through. Never would of thought after Eduardo missing that the likes of Denilson, Sagna and Diaby would slot their peno's so fair play to them, took some balls to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Got home just in time to see Diaby stick his penalty away. Didn't see the game so can't comment on the performance, but I'd rather play shít and go through than play well and go out, like last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Got home just in time to see Diaby stick his penalty away. Didn't see the game so can't comment on the performance, but I'd rather play shít and go through than play well and go out, like last year.

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

My nerves are just coming back to normal now, a bad game from Arsenal but edge of the seat stuff. That was probably the worst Arsenal performance in Europe this season we are still through so happy days !!
    Diaby was excellent last night and Clichy looks to be getting some confidence back I don't know what happened to him but he has been very poor for the last while, so that was good to see. Would like to draw Villareal in the next round please
    Totti is the best diver I have seen, I was cursing him so much last night he is a pro at conning the ref the way he falls

Goin to the Blackburn game on Sat so hopefully Arsenal can be in 2 quarter finals and fourth by 5pm on Sat, C'mon you Gooners !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Poor performance but if we can win playing badly as they say......

We didn't win over 90 minutes thought we lost the game because of a shocking performance. It's because of to many performances like that why we are sitting in fifth place in the league at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Massively relieved. Thoght we were woeful in the first half apart from Diaby and Bendtner. Also, how many challenges did Denilson pull out of? Very half hearted attempts to win the ball back. We're there, but massive improvements needed.

My nerves were shot and i was only following game from work on sky sports.com! it sounds like we were brutal but the main thing is we got through. Great going for a relatively young team to score 7 penalties in what was a tense away game. hey if we become the luckiest team to win a european cup ill take it any day of the week!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

My nerves were shot and i was only following game from work on sky sports.com! it sounds like we were brutal but the main thing is we got through. Great going for a relatively young team to score 7 penalties in what was a tense away game. hey if we become the luckiest team to win a european cup ill take it any day of the week!!!

We have a long way to go to claim that title! Over 2 legs, we deserved to go through...we rode our luck a little bit, but not as much as Roma in the first leg!

jasonorr wrote: »
    We have a long way to go to claim that title! Over 2 legs, we deserved to go through...we rode our luck a little bit, but not as much as Roma in the first leg!

That's a good point. If the game in London was played as the second leg nobody would be thinking Arsenal were all that lucky to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm just delighted to be through so I'm not going to go in to the negatives too much ... apart from this.

The only comparison I can think to playing Bendtner on the wing in the knockout stages of the champions league is Dirk Kyut. To me it seems disrespectful to the tradition of good football that Wenger has cultivated at Arsenal.

The man is always has been and always will be something of a donkey. That's not to say he can't be of good use, just not as a winger.

I sincerely hope that with Vela, Nasri, RVP and others who can play there, that's the last time we see Wenger basically screw Bendtner over by asking him to do the impossible, making him look like half the footballer he is in the process.

The long ball over the top seemed to be part of the plan and RVP's better at taking those on but I thought they were crying out to be switched around all night.

Also - can't remember the last time I saw Arsenal players coming off the pitch with passing stats in the 60's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Clichy looks to be getting some confidence back I don't know what happened to him but he has been very poor for the last while, so that was good to see.

I thought Clichy was terrible last night! One of our poorest performers. Damned lucky to get away with what many referee's would have adjudged as a penalty as well.

Eduardo injured for Saturday, ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Nice to see Gallas step up and take the responsbility of taking a peno...oh hold on...

I really do hate that man and I hope Wenger ships him out in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Roaster wrote: »
    Nice to see Gallas step up and take the responsbility of taking a peno...oh hold on...

This is actually unbelievable.

As a manager who has been involved in Shoot-outs, albeit at a fairly low level compared to the CL Last 16, I would NEVER criticise a player for not stepping up in a shoot out.

You have no idea, no idea, of the pressure involved in a situation like this.

Would you have preferred Gallas to step up, nervous as fúck, and miss?

:confused::confused:

I reckon it takes MORE balls for a player like Gallas to say "No boss, I don't fancy one".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's very true. If he wasn't up for taking one, then it's the right thing to do and not take it. Shows great team spirit and a respect for the group as a whole. And lads we are taking about Willy on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm never happy to see centre halves taking penalties. Was nervous as anything watching Kolo run up from the half way line to take his!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah i could imagine him pulling a JT on it and can you imagine the reaction he'd have been on the end of if he was the one who missed it? It was probably for the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Are you having a laugh?
    you want Gallas to take a peno when he obviously didn't want to?
    You want someone nervous as fcuk taking a penalty?
    Clichy didn't take a peno either. Do you want him out?

Your clearly someone who is jsut blinkered by Gallas' personality. I certainly don't want him gone in the summer. Himself and Sagna have been our best defenders this year by a mile.

Take off the rose tinted glasses and stop being petty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If he stepped up and missed what would you have said then? Was Gallas the only player not to take a penalty? No.

Ah in fairmess willie has kept his head down last few weeks and has been solid. i think the key to our sudden stinginess has been Toure and Gallas making peace.

• Advertisement

A win is a must today.
    While Blackburn have been playing well they are a distinctly average side which we should be beating.
    If we don't win today and win the rest of our games, and have Pool, United and Chelsea still to play then fourth spot is Villa's.

Santa Cruz is out today and he has scored against us in the past. A win is an absolute must. Come on guys. I have a good feeling Villa will drop points against Spurs tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Frisbee wrote: »
    A win is a must today.
    While Blackburn have been playing well they are a distinctly average side which we should be beating.
    If we don't win today and win the rest of our games, and have Pool, United and Chelsea still to play then fourth spot is Villa's.

tbh it will be in no way over after this weekend and i could honestly see both Villa and Arsenal winning or dropping points this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Brillant finish from Arshavin! Bendtner getting into decent positions and should have had goal for himself by now, especially the one on one with robinson.

Walcott and Nasri doing well going foward and hopefully we can keep a clean sheet at the back with over ten minutes to play!!

Ahhh great play Bendtner misses walcott - song - arshavin counter with the final ball falling to Bendtner only to blast over!!

Diaby and Vela on (theo and bendtner off)

Hopefully spurs do us a favour tomorrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Great game, and I really think our performance was spectacular when you consider the chances that Bendtner missed, and to have Fab and Adebayor still out and to still win 4-0. Almunia was good too. We're getting back on track.

Brilliant performance today, very happy now. We are really starting to push on now. Well done Eboue....great appreciation from the fans today. With Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool still to play that is the form we need to be in. Well done lads....and well done Arshavin...brilliant performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Arsenal are quickly returning to themselves. Defense has largely been sorted out and ye have been creating an insane amount of chances recently. I fully expect Arsenal to secure 4th place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Absolutely delighted for Eboue,he will become a cult figure at the club imo.

Great to have Theo back,watching him today you can see we have really missed him.

Arshavin will be a great player for us next season.

A great result today and without Adebayor,RVP and Eduardo,happy days.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    A great result today and without Adebayor,RVP and Eduardo,happy days.

Would have been about 10-0 with any of them on the pitch instead of Bendtner. Well maybe about 7-0 if it was Adebayor.

Great second half performance. Was surprised at Blackburn's tactics though, Arsenal always had plenty of space to knock it around.

• Advertisement

4-0 is the kind of score we should be beating relegation fodder like Blackburn.
    And with the way things have been going its about time we got a result like this against a poor side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Eboue nearly scored a hat-trick missed a great chance then scored two more. Who would have thought that when he come on at 83 minutes - incredible! Why did he take the penalty instead of Vela, I wonder.

Arshavin and Walcott were brilliant today - Nasri was good too - add in Fabregas and Van Persie and we can beat anyone that is an amazing attack.

As for Bendtner - he brought himself to a new low today - without doubt the worst premiership forward ever. Arshavin must be so frustrated with him. The worst moment was when he had his back to goal and he could have just layed it off to another Arsenal player for a certain goal instead he rolled it backwards straight to a Blackburn player.:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As for Bendtner - he brought himself to a new low today - without doubt the worst premiership forward ever.

He's been shoite on occasion but tbh the above statement is complete and utter bollocks. Good win from Arsenal today, must be nice to actually see your side convert so many chances, and must be really weird that tommorow I assume you'll all be cheering Spurs on:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

As for Bendtner - he brought himself to a new low today - without doubt the worst premiership forward ever.

Baptista.

So can we all love Eboé now? :D

Ar-ar-Arshavin, lover of the Russian queen!

I'll think of more later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I seem to remember that Adebayor was a very poor finisher when he first started getting a few games. Give Bendtner some time and then judge him.

Morf wrote: »
    I seem to remember that Adebayor was a very poor finisher when he first started getting a few games. Give Bendtner some time and then judge him.

1. Adebayor is still a very poor finisher.
    2. Bendtner has had lots of time.

I've no problem him hanging around as a squad player but once we have RVP and Ade fit he shouldn't be starting games, as has happened this season

• Advertisement

This season v previous seasons:
    P   W   D   L   F   A  GD Pts
    2008-2009:  29  14  10   5  45  26  19  52
    2007-2008:  29  19   9   1  57  21  36  66 ( 3rd)
    2006-2007:  29  16   7   6  51  24  27  55 ( 4th)
    2005-2006:  29  14   5  10  45  23  22  47 ( 4th)
    2004-2005:  29  18   7   4  67  32  35  61 ( 2nd)
    2003-2004:  29  22   7   0  57  19  38  73 ( 1st)
    2002-2003:  29  19   6   4  64  30  34  63 ( 2nd)
    2001-2002:  29  17   9   3  58  31  27  60 ( 1st)
    2000-2001:  29  15   8   6  47  29  18  53 ( 2nd)
    1999-2000:  29  15   6   8  50  31  19  51 ( 2nd)
    1998-1999:  29  15  11   3  40  13  27  56 ( 2nd)
    1997-1998:  29  16   9   4  48  26  22  57 ( 1st)
    1996-1997:  29  14   9   6  47  26  21  51 ( 3rd)
    1995-1996:  29  13   9   7  39  27  12  48 ( 5th)

Current Run:
    P   W   D   L   F   A  GD Pts
    2008-2009:  15   7   8   0  20   8  12  29

Delighted with todays result, 7 goals in the last 2 league games...long may that continue and heres hoping for a good result today!

Ugh. Cheering on spuds...

Ugh.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Ugh. Cheering on spuds...

Ugh.

I can't honestly say it bothers me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

1-0 to the spuds.......young is giving zokora a nightmare tho.

Looking great for us now, Spurs are 2 up against Villa. That trip out to Dubai didn't help them. Their goal difference is getting worse by the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Looking good alright, plus they have the Pool and Utd away in their next 2 games. They will surely drop some points there which could help us as our last few games of the season are tough. Hopefully Utd will have the league wrapped up by then, might leave things easier for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Not a bad week for us at all :D

Back in 4th.

In the Champions League Quarter Final & FA Cup Semi Final.

Things looking a lot better now. Not out of the woods yet, but given both clubs current form and next 3 games, Arsenal could well be 9 points clear of Villa after them. There's still Everton as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

What we need now is a bit of luck with injuries, let us hope we can keep our players fit for the rest of the season. You can see what a difference a player like Theo can make to the team, great to see him back, still a long way to go and it is take each game as it comes now and hopefully with no injuries.

What we need now is a bit of luck with injuries, let us hope we can keep our players fit for the rest of the season. You can see what a difference a player like Theo can make to the team, great to see him back, still a long way to go and it is take each game as it comes now and hopefully with no injuries.

Theo really did make a big difference. Pure pace stretches defences, something Arsenal have been unable to do for a good few months.

I think Eduardo not picking up anymore injuries is important too. Think what the score would have been yesterday with him and not Bendtner up front. And think of matches where Arsenal won't have that many chances, I wouldn't want Bendtner on the end of the few they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Really is the first time in a while to be genuinly optomistic as an Arsenal fan! Great win yesterday and now back in fourth. Last night was the first time in ages I actually bothered to watch MOTD! First time in ages that arsenal recorded a significant victory. Really have so many options on the wings now with Arshavin, Theo and Nasri all in good form.

Is Thomas Rosicky's best position playing just behind the main striker? I believe it is as he has played there for the Czech team in the past. That would be a brilliant option to have with Nasri, Walcott and Arshavin vying for the wings. That would give us a lot of goals and Thomas is not afrad of shooting. It's our best formation, with one striker up front. Anybody agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

DenMan wrote: »
    Is Thomas Rosicky's best position playing just behind the main striker? I believe it is as he has played there for the Czech team in the past. That would be a brilliant option to have with Nasri, Walcott and Arshavin vying for the wings. That would give us a lot of goals and Thomas is not afrad of shooting. It's our best formation, with one striker up front. Anybody agree?

I'd put him anywhere in the other teams half....I miss him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It wouldnt suprise me at all that Arsenal win a trophy/ies this season,great players back from injury and the best midfielder around coming back in mid March

its looking very well

btw iv been very very impressed with Arshavin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'd put him anywhere in the other teams half....I miss him!!

I remember that first goal, was sitting in the middle of Hamburg fans, got some dodgy looks when I jumped up shouting :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement