Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DenMan wrote: »
    Is Thomas Rosicky's best position playing just behind the main striker? I believe it is as he has played there for the Czech team in the past. That would be a brilliant option to have with Nasri, Walcott and Arshavin vying for the wings. That would give us a lot of goals and Thomas is not afrad of shooting. It's our best formation, with one striker up front. Anybody agree?

Rosicky's best through the centre without a doubt.

and 4-5-1 is almost certainly Arsenal's best formation with a full squad, but not at the moment. It all really hinges on Adebayor, the other players are too limited in scope for this. RVP not good enough at holding up the ball, Bendtner isn't quick enough, and Vela is just too slight. Adebayor is the only one who can really act as the pivot point for Rosicky/Nasri/Walcott to interchange with. The main thing is that having the 3 midfielders give each of them the breathing room to do what they do best.

in a 4-4-2, Fabregas in particular is constrained, there isn't anyone else making those runs from deep to drag away the opposition defensive midfielders and give him the space around the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Headshot wrote: »
    btw iv been very very impressed with Arshavin

Looks to be a great buy so far, first few games he managed to make a considerable impact despite not being completely match fit and he was very good yesterday too and what a goal! I'm very surprised at how quickly he has settled down at a new club in a new country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

DenMan wrote: »
    Is Thomas Rosicky's best position playing just behind the main striker? I believe it is as he has played there for the Czech team in the past. That would be a brilliant option to have with Nasri, Walcott and Arshavin vying for the wings. That would give us a lot of goals and Thomas is not afrad of shooting. It's our best formation, with one striker up front. Anybody agree?

The great thing is that is Rosicky comes back and stays fit, we've a huge selection problem as regards what our first choice team is.

You're basically always going to have to leave out two of RVP, Eduardo, Arshavin, Rosicky, Nasri and Walcott - that's not even including Ade, Vela and Bendtner.

So I'd imagine we're looking at selling either one or two players in the summer but who? Going on form/current contribution, it'd be Ade but if he comes back to form, he really does offer something that no other player does.

Nasri, Walcott, RVP, Eduardo, Arshavin are all kind of unsellable given that we've either just got them or just got them back - or they're RVP.

Rosicky, if fit, offers the only decent cover for Fabregas in that he can actually play central midfield whereas the rest can't plus you'd be lucky to get a tenner for him given his injury record.

Vela and Bendtner won't really fetch a good enough price.

On a different note, it's sad to think how this season could have gone if Rosicky had been fit to cover Cesc and Arshavin had arrived in the summer - guess the Champions league will have to do though - COME ON YOU GUNNERS!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

gosplan wrote: »
    So I'd imagine we're looking at selling either one or two players in the summer but who?

I'd really prefer not to see anybody sold. Strength in depth is what wins titles. Arsenal seem to be very injury prone in general so having the likes of Walcott, Rosicky, Adebayor etc. on the bench is a big plus.

If the money is there to sustain the current squad, whilst also bringing in a decent defensive centre mid, and a centre back or two, then Arsenal will be in a very strong position next September. I'd imagine we'd see a lot of rotation instead of a proper first XI.

I'd really prefer not to see anybody sold. Strength in depth is what wins titles. Arsenal seem to be very injury prone in general so having the likes of Walcott, Rosicky, Adebayor etc. on the bench is a big plus.

If the money is there to sustain the current squad, whilst also bringing in a decent defensive centre mid, and a centre back or two, then Arsenal will be in a very strong position next September. I'd imagine we'd see a lot of rotation instead of a proper first XI.

I see what you're saying, but when was the last time we didn't get rid of players we really would rather have kept???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/2009/03/16/diouf-hurts-115875-21201818/

I'd pay good money to see that! :D

Just cant see Big Al even headbutting a teddy bear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Arshavin's goal was fooking quality.... Maybe even better than Robben's in the euro's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, Arshavin scored during a break in Soccer Saturday so I had turned on Sellotanta.

Great goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Arsenal have an unbelievable amount of quality going forward with everyone fit. But i think their lack of strength in midfield will cost them in the CL. They really are only 3 or 4 players away from a phenomenal squad.

Priority should be a defensive midfielder obviously. Then a centre back. Then a new goalkeeper. Then cover for Sagna/Clichy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/2009/03/16/diouf-hurts-115875-21201818/

I'd pay good money to see that! :D

Just cant see Big Al even headbutting a teddy bear.

Almunia definitely did go after him but I didn't see a headbutt.....After the ref calmed things down Al put little Denielsen between himself and Diouf.....then used Denielsen as a clattering ram......it was actually pretty funny because Al doesn't get worked up too often.

Diouf shouldn't have been on the pitch at that point anyway. It was a filthy tackle.

it was actually pretty funny because Al doesn't get worked up too often.

I agree. Thats why I would have loved to see it. It didn't show it on MOTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Arsenal have an unbelievable amount of quality going forward with everyone fit. But i think their lack of strength in midfield will cost them in the CL. They really are only 3 or 4 players away from a phenomenal squad.

Priority should be a defensive midfielder obviously. Then a centre back. Then a new goalkeeper. Then cover for Sagna/Clichy.

We definitely need a new DM.

Centre Back I'm not overly worried about. Toure and Gallas with Djourou as cover is good. Maybe bring in someone else as cover.

Cover on the full backs.
    Clichy can be covered by Traore and Gibbs
    Sagna can be covered by Eboue.

A DM is the main priority. Although Denilson and Song have come on leaps and bounds this season. I've been particularly impressed with Song since the first Cardiff match.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I've been particularly impressed with Song since the first Cardiff match.

Song was very good on Saturday, the only negative about him is his lack of pace really! I was critical of how our game changed when he came on against Roma in the first leg, but he may have been given a role to play!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Song was very good on Saturday, the only negative about him is his lack of pace really! I was critical of how our game changed when he came on against Roma in the first leg, but he may have been given a role to play!

Yeah, I dont think his pace is that bad. But his acceleration is woeful. Over 5 yards nearly anyone will have gotten away from him and then he doesn't have the overall speed to catch up with them.

Wenger does know how soft our midfield is. Games where he's been brought on while we're defending a lead he seems to have been told to go out and break down play. Small fouls to break the opposing teams rhythm. And he does it well.

an experienced DM would be very welcome though.

All I can say is, really??? No shít, didn't expect that one!!! :rolleyes:

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd put him anywhere in the other teams half....I miss him!!

Wow, its been so long I had completely forgotten..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

How is it that Vidic gets a straight red against Liverpool and only gets a 2 game ban ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The Al Lad wrote: »
    How is it that Vidic gets a straight red against Liverpool and only gets a 2 game ban ???

You better check the rules. A professional foul is only a 1 match ban, but it was his 2nd red of the season so he got an additional 1 game.

I agree. Thats why I would have loved to see it. It didn't show it on MOTD.

Here ya go.

http://www.mysoccerplace.net/video/arsenal-vs-blackburn-full

It's the last minute of part 4 of the video. It skips the bit with Denielsen which is a pity.

The Al Lad wrote: »

Only 3 for violent conduct AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

JPA wrote: »
    You better check the rules. A professional foul is only a 1 match ban, but it was his 2nd red of the season so he got an additional 1 game.

Ah 3 for violent conduct, thats it

cheers

Games are Fulham away and Villa home though - not really two games you'd want to be missing your best central defender/goalscorer for.

If Man U are unlucky over the international break with injuries, this could be a big turning pont in their season.

TBH though, I'd expect them to react pretty well to getting thrashed by Liverpool and wrap up the PL in the next two games.

jasonorr wrote: »
    All I can say is, really??? No shít, didn't expect that one!!! :rolleyes:

Link

I'm telling you, rosicky is dead and Wenger is trying to keep it out of the press.
    TBH though, I'd expect them to react pretty well to getting thrashed by Liverpool and wrap up the PL in the next two games.

Pretty much what I'm expecting. Hopefully before the United/Arsenal game.
    However even if Ferguson has CL/FA Cup to keep him occupied I can still see him putting out a fairly strong side against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Arsenal already have plenty of cover for the FB's and I really dont get why people dont rate Almunia he is the most improved goalkeeper in the premiership and has been probably our most consistent player all season.

Almunia's had his dodgy moments this season, but so has every other keeper in the Premiership. And he's made some great saves as of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Arsenal already have plenty of cover for the FB's and I really dont get why people dont rate Almunia he is the most improved goalkeeper in the premiership and has been probably our most consistent player all season.

He has conceeded more goals at this point in the season than ye conceeded at this point last season. Not sure if that is what you mean as the most improved goalkeeper in the PL..

Yes because the best way to judge a goalkeeper's performance is to count how many goals the team he plays for has conceeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

He has conceeded more goals at this point in the season than ye conceeded at this point last season. Not sure if that is what you mean as the most improved goalkeeper in the PL..

So based on your logic you would say VDS is the best goalkepper in the world even though when he was on that run of clean sheets you could count the good saves he made on one hand :confused:

Almunia has had a number of different CB partnerships in front of him, and as all the world knows at this stage we have had no defensive midfielder of any quality

Evil_Clown wrote: »

I posted this a few weeks ago but wasn't sure if it was a fake or not.
    However I shall definitely be buying that one :D

• Advertisement

That'll be the 2cd away strip won't it? Not mad on it at all.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    That'll be the 2cd away strip won't it? Not mad on it at all.

Usually the way Arsenal work it is that this years away strip is next years alternate.
    So then the green one would be our away strip and the yellow one would be the alternate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Tough on Rosicky to hear he will be delayed again. I just hope he doesn't get injured playing for his national team. Arshavin is really pushing himself to start against Hull tomorrow. Didn't know he had 8 stitches in his foot at half time. Anybody reckon Wenger will start Walcott tomorrow? Gibbs will start I am sure. I like Gibbs. It's great for both Arsenal and England that he gets the time and all the encouragement he needs to become a regular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's probably been said already, i hope it has, but arsenal looka different proposition with walcott and arshavin in the team.

they may be the incisiveness you've been missing on a long-term basis since the departures of the likes of Titi and Bob.

on a side note, Bendtner makes me laugh.

The team conceded a lot of goals until Christmas but they are scroogy as hell now. Clean sheets are almost taken for granted since Christmas. The odd one that does go in is not through errors by him.

He's made some excellent full stretch saves in the last few weeks when games were delicately poised. Last week against Roma pops to mind.

I'm happy enough with him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So based on your logic you would say VDS is the best goalkepper in the world even though when he was on that run of clean sheets you could count the good saves he made on one hand :confused:

Almunia has had a number of different CB partnerships in front of him, and as all the world knows at this stage we have had no defensive midfielder of any quality

I am just curious as to what you were basing it on..

I posted this a few weeks ago but wasn't sure if it was a fake or not.
    However I shall definitely be buying that one :D

I wouldn't buy it just yet. It's exactly the same as the mock up so it might not be real.

I'm not suggesting China would produce knock off shirts by the way.......

I remember we had a green away kit once before... Was considered bad luck and discarded midway through the season IIRC...

I'm telling you, rosicky is dead and Wenger is trying to keep it out of the press.

Now taht you mention it, you don't see him doing any interviews. When Eduardo was out injured we couldnt get him to shut up. likewise Theo and Cesc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Funny how Liverpool , Chelsea and Arsenal are all peaking at the moement .Very immpressed with the Arsenal south american contingent .Going to be an intresting last quater to the premership /championship league finals :)

I wouldn't buy it just yet. It's exactly the same as the mock up so it might not be real.

I'm not suggesting China would produce knock off shirts by the way.......

Oh I'm not going to buy it now.
    I meant I'll be buying it next season if it is indeed the away kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

The problem with that I'm afraid is players like Walcott, Rosicky and Arshavin may feel he won't put them away and in Tomas and Andrey's point of view they will be reluctant to pass to him and will shoot themselves. They are not afraid of doing that and can score a lot of goals. Come on the Gunners tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Very lucky with the result last night!! They didnt really seem to turn up until Nasri and Bendtner came on.

Also Phil Brown is claiming Cesc spat at their Assistant Manager - link here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

There are so many things I could say about Phil Brown. I hate him. He is another Neil Warnock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I have to say I agree. I used to like Phil Brown because of the tremendous work he has done with such a small club, but I have to say last night he looked and sounded like a bitter old man that had lost all control of what he was saying. Setanta done a good job of walking him into it. Arsenal should report him to the FA for what he said about the club. Something along the lines of "It goes to show what kind of club they are"

As for the fabregas spitting incident Setanta showed his initial claim that it happened as Fabregas was walking onto the pitch to be false. They also showed that Fabregas was walking on congratulating players whilst the Hull assistant manager was shouting over at him. Fab being the model professional continued to ignore him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I have to say I agree. I used to like Phil Brown because of the tremendous work he has done with such a small club, but I have to say last night he looked and sounded like a bitter old man that had lost all control of what he was saying. Setanta done a good job of walking him into it. Arsenal should report him to the FA for what he said about the club. Something along the lines of "It goes to show what kind of club they are"

yea i used to like him too.... his time wasting tactics where absolutley crazy last night.. no doubt he learned those crappy ways from sam allardyce, whom he worked with for years... dont get me started on sam allardyce :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

not an arsenal fan, but phil brown showed himself up bigtime last night. the comment about the club as a whole was an utter disgrace. the FA should throw the book at him. he's a very bitter man for someone whose been very successful with a small-time club.

wenger did not cover himself in glory at all. as royale mentioned, the look on wenger's face was priceless when the Setanta guy directed him towards the screen. why couldn't he just admit his team got lucky, but his team deserved it merely through their domination and the chances created? there's nothing wrong with that.

amazing to me.

but sure it's all about what happens on the pitch. who gives a toss really what a manager says as long as his side is doing it? everything else is a bit of entertainment for the public, eh?! :cool:

This is hilarious:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7950507.stm

First he complains about about the way Cesc was dressed. Then,
    Phil Brown wrote:
    I'm not one to cry over spilt milk.

ROFL.

He'll cry about everything else though.

Galvasean wrote: »
    This is hilarious:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7950507.stm

First he complains about about the way Cesc was dressed. Then,

ROFL.

Let him moan.
    He's got one foot in his grave already, let him put the other in and the FA can do him

"I'm not going to go tattling to the FA" - I'll just go to the press :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement