Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

he did address a spit though :pac:, could have got the address wrong in fairness, maybe it was for someone else.
    seemed to just be bitter at losing to a dodgy goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_5068702,00.html
    I'd like to see more of this guy, see how good he is, or bad... Apparently he has been impressive for the reserves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

thorbarry wrote: »
    I'd like to see more of this guy, see how good he is, or bad... Apparently he has been impressive for the reserves

Terrible attitude to have, he gets faith shown in him and he is already talking of leaving once he found his feet and his fitness.

Not a bad little player, but needs a good run of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Any decent offer an we should cash in.
    Think Wenger bought Bischoff and Coquelin purely from a business POV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Frisbee wrote: »
    Think Wenger bought Bischoff and Coquelin purely from a business POV

pretty sure bischoff is out of contract at the end of the season and is going to leave on a free. Wenger brought him in trying to get him fit and help his career back on track. And he repayes him by fcking off. Serious lack of loyalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Aye, pretty poor stuff from Bischoff.

Any word on injuries for Saturday? Haven't heard anything new about Eduardo, Almunia is a doubt.

yea he bought him on a 12 month contract so he will be free to leave in june. it is a bit mad i he goes on a free, considering the money the club spend on him, ie mediacal expenses, and the training to get him fit again.. i havent heard any injury news yet regarding anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

latchyco wrote: »
    Very immpressed with the Arsenal south american contingent
    Can't say I've noticed it as a big influence myself :confused:

As for Bischoff, if the quotes are accurate, we really don't need that kind of attitude around. From someone who's nowhere near good enough to get away with it (a la Diarra or whatever).

In one way, I'd like to think nobody would take him but there'll always be someone willing I guess. Swap deal for Moutinho maybe? :)

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/almunia-set-to-return-for-newcastle-trip

“Almunia could be back,” Wenger said. “He had a good training session today so it looks like he will be available.

“Fabregas and Eduardo have come back into full training today but I think they will be short for Saturday.

“It is the first time back for Cesc. He is physically fit but he needs a few training sessions. So it will be after the international break for him.

“Silvestre is fit and available but Adebayor is not ready yet.”

good that almunia's back.. i am still not convinced by fabianski, Silvestre back is neither here nor there, dont really think anyone cares.. also good to have cesc back training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

good that almunia's back.. i am still not convinced by fabianski,

Yep. Same here. I'm not convinced by Fabianski either although I guess in fairness to him he does not get many games.

He was very dodgy against Hull, flapped badly at a couple and was constantly way out of his box. To be fair, he always got to the ball first but there was a few heart in mouth moments.

I assume that a run in the team would benefit him but I'm happy that Big Al will be back between the sticks against Newcastle.

• Advertisement

Just out of interest...

Does anybody know the last time Arsenal lost in a penalty shootout? Uefa cup final in 2000 against Galatasaray is the last I can remember.

Also how many successful shootouts since then? Roma last week, Fa cup final 2005 against United, at least once against Sheffield United in the cup; all ones I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The one against Galatasaray is particularly painful. I remember we were woeful in that final, right up to the penalties. Think the Romford Pele was the only one to score in the shootout iirc.

keano_afc wrote: »
    The one against Galatasaray is particularly painful. I remember we were woeful in that final, right up to the penalties. Think the Romford Pele was the only one to score in the shootout iirc.

My only clear memory of that final is Martin Keown blazing over from 6 yards, might have been an open goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Phil Brown is a media whore, hes's forever on any TV show to do with football, be it sky or setanta, he's just on telly the whole time, I think all this is somehow supposed to put him in the frame for the next England manager.

On that green Arsenal top, I hope to god we dont wear that, our kits have been mank for the last few years apart from this years home jersey.

Can I just also say Van still isnt good enough, Bendtner changed the game against Hull the other day.

Yep, cant go one post without getting the boot in on Van ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

FearDark wrote: »
    Can I just also say Van still isnt good enough, Bendtner changed the game against Hull the other day.

Yep, cant go one post without getting the boot in on Van ;)

Bendtner's presence helped a lot, absolutely.

he would have also missed the goal VP scored though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

FearDark wrote: »
    RVP >>>>>>>>>> Bendtner.

On so many levels. RVP has saved us getting those crucial goals this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Beau x1 wrote: »
    RVP >>>>>>>>>> Bendtner.

On so many levels. RVP has saved us getting those crucial goals this season.

+1

The guy is on a technical level that is planets away from Bendtner. An absolute joy to watch in full flow. He's actually the one player I can see emulating the Iceman at the club. :)

cson wrote: »
    +1

The guy is on a technical level that is planets away from Bendtner. An absolute joy to watch in full flow. He's actually the one player I can see emulating the Iceman at the club. :)

no doubt rvp is a better player, but Bendtner is a very different player. In recent games rvp has been up there on his own. i think he plays better when he has someone like bentner or ade up there with him, and he just plays behind him. I think Bendtner has done a decent enough job when asked this season, alot of the time playing as a lone striker, like the manu game last november. He's still only 21, and i think he can only get better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

So:

Villareal

then

Man U

then

Barca in the final.

No one will say we fluked it anyway.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don't think playing the second leg at home for both quarters and semis helps us to be honest!

One of the easier quarter finals, with potentially the toughest semi final.

Getting past Villareal will be tough enough. I'd love to see Pires subbed on at the Emirates. He'd get some reception.

No point in assessing the potential United semi until both teams get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Great draw for the quarters tbh, and there's always the chance we'll get Porto in the semi's :pac:

Wreck wrote: »
    Great draw for the quarters tbh, and there's always the chance we'll get Porto in the semi's :pac:
    We've done better against United so far this year than against Porto. I have my usual fear of drawing the smaller team in European competition - think it'll be tough but we have to have a good chance of taking them.

Apart from anything else, their league form has gotten patchier and ours has been improving.

ha, we deffo stand a very good chance getting in to the semi's.... lol Pascal Cygan, and Bobby Pires, should be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

After being pretty happy with the CL draw then this happens, is there a curse doing the rounds at London Colney I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I cant believe that. Just when things were looking positive.

ah, thats noot good... looks like eboue is gonna get more games

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

ah, thats noot good... looks like eboue is gonna get more games

Eboue's a ledge! 3 goals in 3 games :D

^^^ Oh dear ^^^

• Advertisement

Roaster wrote: »
    Eboue's a ledge! 3 goals in 3 games :D

although i was quite critical of him recentely, most notably against spurs.. i think he's done well in the past few games... hopefully.. he has gotten his confidence back, stops acting like a twat and continues to play well :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

He did well against spurs until he realised he was eboue and then went into eboue mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    We've done better against United so far this year than against Porto.

We beat Porto 4-0. Granted they beat us 2-0, but we had already qualified at teha point and it was obvious we werent up for the game.

He did well against spurs until he realised he was eboue and then went into eboue mode.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Come on guys....lay off the Eboue jokes. With Theo out we will be depending on Emmanuel for the rest of the season. I think he is playing very well right now, looking strong and secure. Big game against Newcastle tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Anyone know if Nihat is back playing for Villareal yet?

I know that Rossi is their main goal threat and that can only be viewed as a massive positive. Fergie described him as something like 'the best finisher I've ever seen' but he never looked like cutting it in the UK.

Who else they got? Santi Carzorla is great on the ball but he always looks a bit limited in his end product - a bit hleb-ish.

Essentially though - do they actually play Cygan all the time? :D:D:D

I know we love our free flowing football at the Arse but if there's ever a player whose limitations we know it's Cygan - seriously stick Bedntner up top and pump those long balls in. :D

Galvasean wrote: »
    We beat Porto 4-0. Granted they beat us 2-0, but we had already qualified at teha point and it was obvious we werent up for the game.
    But we're 100% against United.

As for Villarreal, they also have Cani who's a pretty decent player and a definite goal threat. And despite what Rossi was like in England, he was certainly very good for them earlier this season. Nihat played in both Panathanaikos matches but hasn't scored this season. They also have Capdevila at full back who I think gets forward well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

I think Nihat is due back before then so he could be fully fit by the time they play Arsenal.

And no Cygan doesn't play all of the time, Godin and Rodriguez are the first choice CB pairing (both very good too) but have suffered some injuries this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I can't believe Walcott is injured again, and it sounds bad too.

Can't believe that about Walcott. Unbelieveable...

As for Villareal, this is going to be a very tough game, people thinking about the United game already are very delusioned, Villareal will push us all the way.

• Advertisement

So guys should I still head down to paddypower put €50 on us winning the FA CUP?

Beau x1 wrote: »
    So guys should I still head down to paddypower put €50 on us winning the FA CUP?

10/3 aren't great odds, if you have 50 quid to spare though why not

^ Yeah, pity about Walcott though, at least we'll have Fab back though with Arshavin.

I heard Walcott twisted his knee teaching Rosicky English.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Walcott hasn't suffered any serious damage to his knee so hopefully he'll be ready to go again after the international break. Good news.

I didn't see the game today but apparently Bendtner was excellent. Nasri had one of his 'on' days too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bendtner.... excellent...... same sentence :eek:

On the plus side, we're starting to really kick on and win games now. A few months ago Hull would have beaten us after going 1-0 up. Im optimistic bout the rest of the season that we can win something and make 4th.

cson wrote: »
    Bendtner.... excellent...... same sentence :eek:

On the plus side, we're starting to really kick on and win games now. A few months ago Hull would have beaten us after going 1-0 up. Im optimistic bout the rest of the season that we can win something and make 4th.

Based on form I think we'll finish second.....or first.

I didn't see the game today but apparently Bendtner was excellent. Nasri had one of his 'on' days too.

He was by no means excellent.
    He merely did what someone of his stature should do. Put himself about, won headers, and held up the ball for other players coming on.

An average game by regular standards, but by Bendtner's standards I suppose you could call it an excellent performance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

This season v previous seasons:
    P   W   D   L   F   A  GD Pts
    2008-2009:  30  15  10   5  48  27  21  55
    2007-2008:  30  19  10   1  58  22  36  67 ( 3rd)
    2006-2007:  30  16   7   7  52  28  24  55 ( 4th)
    2005-2006:  30  15   5  10  48  23  25  50 ( 4th)
    2004-2005:  30  19   7   4  68  32  36  64 ( 2nd)
    2003-2004:  30  22   8   0  58  20  38  74 ( 1st)
    2002-2003:  30  19   6   5  64  32  32  63 ( 2nd)
    2001-2002:  30  18   9   3  60  32  28  63 ( 1st)
    2000-2001:  30  15   9   6  47  29  18  54 ( 2nd)
    1999-2000:  30  16   6   8  53  31  22  54 ( 2nd)
    1998-1999:  30  16  11   3  42  13  29  59 ( 2nd)
    1997-1998:  30  17   9   4  49  26  23  60 ( 1st)
    1996-1997:  30  15   9   6  49  26  23  54 ( 3rd)
    1995-1996:  30  14   9   7  42  27  15  51 ( 5th)

Current run:
    P   W   D   L   F   A  GD Pts
    2008-2009:  16   8   8   0  23   9  14  32

Come on the Pool ;)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Frisbee wrote: »
    He was by no means excellent.
    He merely did what someone of his stature should do. Put himself about, won headers, and held up the ball for other players coming on.

An average game by regular standards, but by Bendtner's standards I suppose you could call it an excellent performance...
    By stature do you mean 4th choice striker or 6'3"? 'cos I don't see our other strikers doing much of the above lately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement